To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To Joe Dressner, rest in peace, my friend. :mellow:

Fuck this summer. First we lose Ray Deter, who taught us it was OK to drink good beer and good liquor. Now we lose Joe Dressner, who taught us that wines from all over could sing.

Joe Dressner was a lion. He was uncompromising. But above all, he was curious. WAAAAAY before curious was cool. And he continued that way his entire life.

Goodbye, Joe. Long live real wine.

R.E.M. They never were my favorite band

They actually were my favorite band for pretty much all of junior high and high school, and I never stopped loving them after that. I met Michael Stipe once and he was a weird bird. I still love their music; Nightswimming can evoke such strong memories for me that those will never fade. Well done, boys; sweetness follows. *cheers*

To the Cardinals. I don't really believe they are going to make the playoffs but it is a lovely fantasy for one more night. And I just might put the little guy in his fredbird shirt to sleep in tonight. (His lucky football outfit took the Giants to the Superbowl a few years back.)

My mother would be tearing her hair out right about now...Sigh.. Missing her so let's drink to that too.

To the great Joe Frazier.

This is exactly what I feared last night - Joe Frazier wouldn't quit until it was over. And I guarantee the only reason he checked into Hospices was for his family (been there). People will remember him for his devastating left hook; I'll remember him for his superhuman will to win. He was a fighter until the end, that's for sure.

To my dad, who went duck hunting with Emperor Hirohito.

To put World War II into perspective, look at the list of war veterans just from tiny Brunswick High School, taking special note of the column on the left listing those who died or were killed in service.

---

And to my great uncle William, my grandfather's brother, who also went to Brunswick High School and was awarded the Victory Medal in World War I (yes, World War One). Until today, I didn't even know he existed - I think it's pretty safe to say he couldn't have imagined someone toasting him on the internet on Veterans Day, 2011.

To all the extraordinary men and women who have protected my life when I've been overseas, especially all those years ago when I was a pup and didn't even understand what they were doing for me. Sgt. Rob, Justo, and all you other folks, thank you, more than you can ever know. If I could get my hands on some Jordanian whiskey to do it up like we did, I would--clink!

To Jeno Paulucci who started Chun King canned Chinese food and Jeno's pizza rolls. He sold Chun King in 1966 and Jeno's in 1985. NYTimes article: here

From Stephen Miller's Wall Street Journal article:

In his manufacturing operations, Mr. Paulucci had a reputation for hiring handicapped workers as well as those with addictions and criminal records. He was an outspoken supporter of labor unions and bought ads in newspapers advocating a rise in the national minimum wage.

I have fond memories of my first regular experience with "home-cooked" Chinese food [opening the stacked cans of entree and a can of crispy chow mein noodles while the rice simmered] - oh, so exotic.

To the bastards who skimmed every last one of my credit cards, leaving me without them on Cyber Monday. May the legs up your pants turn to scorpions.

As a corollary, I raise my glass to Charles Walton, inventor of the RFID chip that allowed the skimming while they were in my wallet, in my bag.

Moving on, to the lovely people who have RFID blocking credit card sleeves, who will get my business as soon as I have a credit card to use!