To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

The internet is a really amazing thing. Found a document here that is a 1960 report on the demographics and trends of Mt. Airy NC (the real-life Mayberry, where Andy Griffith grew up. The African-American population was quite small - less than 5 percent if I am reading correctly - and mostly quite poor. So the show may have been substantially accurate in terms of its representation of who was milling around "downtown" in this small town in this part of NC. (I am not an expert on Mt. Airy in the 1950s and 60s, though I did spend many wonderful weeks there in the 1980s and 90s at the fiddlers' convention.)

You were the fiddler crab, I assume?

I grew up in Sneads Ferry, NC, in the 70s & 80s, was it like Mayberry? Not exactly, although it seems pretty innocent compared to where my kids are growing up now... I'd say the African-American population was much higher, & the income differential not as extreme, seems like everyone was just making it...although at the time, I felt trapped by where I grew up, in retrospect, it was not that bad....If I lived in the city, I'd have burned out early....

To the CERN researchers, for discovering the Higgs boson (or, at least, Higgs-like) particie. I can't say I understand it, but I get that this may be one of the most important scientific breakthroughs of my--our--lifetime.

To me. For pulling the kind of stunt that means every time my company is down a certification and needs it in less time than one would think humanly possible, they come to me, and somehow I do it, and I keep my job. But now I just want some booze.

Freshly brewed Art of Tea, Classic Black, over ice with lemon & a touch of honey.

Toasting to the awesome Samaritan who helped my 83 year old neighbor recover her lost purse today. He found it on the side of Braddock Road, sometime after it had flown off the roof of her car, where she had absentmindedly left it. The minute he discovered the satchel, he checked the driver's license for the address, and drove all the way to our neighborhood to return it. She was despondent, knowing precisely what had happened, and was in the middle of placing a hold on her credit cards when he drove up.

Cheers to you, good man.

Ditto this, Marion Cunningham, for the pancakes & waffles, & Louis Freeh, for the Sandusky report-it's going to be a bumpy couple of years, but for the victims, it deserves to be brought out into the open, & the whole coverup exposed....

To my brother Bill, gone suddenly this afternoon at age 64. He gave me my first joint, taught me everything I know about cars, and asked me to be his best man, wearing matching leisure suits.In shock and tears, I raise a Bud to him, which he always called his favorite Belgium beer. Cheers, big bro.

To my brother Bill, gone suddenly this afternoon at age 64. He gave me my first joint, taught me everything I know about cars, and asked me to be his best man, wearing matching leisure suits.In shock and tears, I raise a Bud to him, which he always called his favorite Belgium beer. Cheers, big bro.

I'm so sorry, T. Please accept my condolences and a virtual 'clink' to your brother.

To Julia Child on her 100th.

The All You Can Eat blog today has this awesome note:

When you visit

Julia’s kitchen at the National Museum of American History, you’ll notice that Child loved to label and write directions for just about anything that couldn’t get up and move on its own. Why? Because many hands worked in that space, helping to produce three cooking series on television as well as countless dinners for charitable causes. When Post photographer Michael Williamson was on assignment last week, shooting the kitchen, he used a long lens to help decipher the many rows of plastic labels stripped beneath the garbage disposal switch; otherwise, they’re too small to see from the existing vantage points of the exhibit. They are fine examples of Child’s thoroughness and sense of humor. To wit:

DISPOSAL

1. Remove sink stopper

2. Run cold water in sink

3. Start machine

4. Push food in gradually with brush

No grease . . . no fats

No artichoke L’s

No husks

Beware Onion Skins

To all the people of New Orleans, including my elderly parents, who are "sheltering in" during hurricane Isaac. Once they lose power, and they will, folks are likely to be without for days. It will be hot and oppressively humid...and yet eveyone there is hunkered down and prepared to cope. My parents refused to leave...the aftermath of Katrina made them suspicious and afraid of giving up control...and now my 84 year old Dad says they will be fine without air conditioning. I am drinking to blunt the worry, and to toast their admirable resiliance.

Don't forget the Grays, our Negro Leagues team! They were the best in the league and played all through the 1940s. Had a dynasty! Won the World Series of their league for years in a row.

Local media are missing out on this fact. The Grays played about half their home games in DC (split with Pittsburgh) and drew better attendance than the Nationals-Senators!

http://en.wikipedia....ue_World_Series

Congratulations, Nationals!!!!