To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To our last days in DC. Tomorrow we drive away. I toast all the people in this community who have helped me to embrace and savor this area. Though I don't think I have met any of you pereonally, I do feel you have enriched me and entertained me and caused me to question some of my assumptions. Thank you all. I have loved being a part of this community.

I hope to visit DC, at least occasionally. I will check into DR.com frequently. Eat well. I will enjoy you all from many miles away.

• Like 2

Congratulations, David - can we get a run-down on all 20?

Well, I can't be too boastful, since they're all edited volumes/compilations, not my own authorship; about 17 were books that came out in a series that ended earlier this year. But these newest books were more like major academic projects, requiring hundreds of hours of reading, research, and editing, so I feel some extra pride in them. More than anything, I raise a toast to my mom, a small-town Iowa librarian gone 16 years at the end of this month, who would be amazed and proud that her kid got his name on the cover of even one book, much less 20.

To Mary C.

Fuck off, cancer.  You suck.

Yeah.

Fuck off, cancer. You suck.

I don't wish for many things on this earth to be eradicated, wiped out, annihilated; maybe not even small pox. I wish for every last cancer cell to die, so nobody ever has to suffer from this cruel mutation ever again.

Die, cancer. Die. And take your cruel torments with you. And may God, or whatever permutation of God you believe in, help and have mercy upon anyone who suffers from the ravages of this terrible disease. I hate you, cancer. I hate you not only for taking away the person I loved the most, but also for taking away hundreds of millions of other people who others loved the most.

And may God, or whatever permutation of God you believe in, bless those who are devoting their lives to combat this dread disease.

• Like 2

My friend's death to cancer just hit six months. His son just got married, due to a pregnant girlfriend, over the objections of his wife. But now they seem to be okay, and I'm happy for them at that. They need more happiness in their lives, not more drama.

I'm drinking right now to Santa and all other often underappreciated bartenders out there. She took care of me regularly at BW-3 here in Ballston. Like many bartenders at places like that, she dealt with a lot of shit, and now she's been promoted to management. I noticed last week that she wasn't working and heard the news - earlier this week when I visited, she swung by my seat at the bar unnoticed, smacked the bar with her hand, and pointed at me until I looked up and busted up laughing. She's going to do well, and I wish her the best.

I'll include bartenders from Hard Times (and I feel *SO* bad I can't remember her name), multiple ones from FireWorks, most of the crew at Ragtime - they're not necessarily mixologists, and that's not a bad thing. They're damn good bartenders, damn good people to drink with, and damn well need people to give them more respect. (And next time I post something like this, I'll work my way into the District...)

To Jose Bonilla, one of the owners of La Malinche in Silver Spring. An extraordinary kind, gracious, and hard working man; always smiling, always laughing. Jose was a fixture in the restaurants at Marriott Wardman Park and I had the pleasure to work with him for years at our hotel. Like many immigrants, he worked tirelessly at multiple jobs to support his family here in the States, as well as at home in El Salvador.

Last year, he realized a life long dream of opening his own restaurant, with his brothers, in Silver Spring - an American dream fulfilled. He tragically passed away in a car accident late Tuesday night, leaving work to go home, where he cared for his mother. My life is better to have known him, and he will be missed. Rest in peace, my friend.

• Like 3

To Wilma Roumel, my original landlord at Colonial Village, who took a chance on me (in the dark shadows of 9/11) just over twelve years ago, when no one else would, and who remained a growing friend throughout her long illness--and to whom I hope I remained a source of pride and support in return as long as her diminishing awareness allowed (while hoping she was never aware of what her legacy had become).

To Wilma Roumel, my original landlord at Colonial Village, who took a chance on me (in the dark shadows of 9/11) just over twelve years ago, when no one else would, and who remained a growing friend throughout her long illness--and to whom I hope I remained a source of pride in return as long as her diminishing awareness allowed.

I'm sorry Michael. :(

To today's Presidential Medal Of Freedom awardees:

The great Ernie Banks (Jon Karl will be interviewing him, just after 12 noon at the White House - he's asking my advice for questions! :) I told him to mention 40 HRs per year, for 4 straight years, 1957-1960 ... now that is just awesome for a shortstop in that era.)

The late Senator and war hero Daniel Inouye

The coal miner's daughter, Loretta Lynn

The legendary basketball coach, Dean Smith

And our local newscaster who made good, Oprah Winfrey

This is a cool list of people.

• Like 1

The great Ernie Banks (Jon Karl will be interviewing him, just after 12 noon at the White House - he's asking my advice for questions! :) I told him to mention 40 HRs per year, for 4 straight years, 1957-1960 ... now that is just awesome for a shortstop in that era.)

Hopefully Karl didn't make the same mistake someone did on NPR this morning, calling Banks a former great of the President's beloved White Sox. :o

While POTUS does root for the same team I do, and I always enjoy him poking fun at the other team in town, Mr. Banks is known as Mr. Cub for a reason!

I think you omitted Ben Bradlee as well.

Nelson Mandela. Rest in peace. We have all been enriched by his courage and grace.

I think I can speak for the entire website when I say "to Nelson Mandela" - one of the single greatest people of our lifetime. Indeed, as President Obama said, "˜he no longer belongs to us; now he belongs to the ages.'

And to Matt, who is resting comfortably after getting his wisdom teeth pulled. Sixteen years, first general anesthesia, and boy oh boy did my paternal instinct kick in strongly.

• Like 2

To Mary Barra and Deborah Rutter, the new heads of GM and the Kennedy Center, respectively. It's not just wonderful to see women rising to these positions, but both seem remarkable in a way that almost renders the gender dimension moot.  It will be exciting to watch how these two disparate organizations develop under their leadership; I suspect there will be lots of toasting to be done.