1659 replies to this topic

#1651 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

To Dean Smith who passed away last night and was evidently suffering from a form of dementia for the past few years and had been vacant from the public eye during these last period.

Dean Smith was one of the all time great college basketball coaches.  I believe he set a record for all time victories by the time he retired in the late 1990's (since broken at least twice--most recently by his long time competitor, Coach K).   He coached at University of North Carolina and led them to an amazingly long streak of 20+ victories every year, many ACC championships, a large number of NCAA tournament bids and two NCAA championships.

More fundamentally important he was a decent man and a courageous and leading actor on behalf of racial integration.  He did that on a local level in North Carolina.  He did it in his community and his church, and he did it on the basketball court providing a scholarship to one of or the first black basketball player on the UNC team, and I believe the ACC back in 1967.

Over many decades he received universal love and affection from what must be hundreds of past members of his teams.  Really extraordinary levels of fondness for him from his players over the many many decades.  That says a lot.

As a technical coach he was excellent devising the famous four corners offense, which was effective and confounding enough to be voided by rules changes, and swarming flows of fast breaks with both first and second waves of players.   

He generated a lot of devotion.  A life well lived.

to add....

I probably started watching ACC basketball since the end of the 1960's, a period during which Dean Smith had already established a dominant program.  Having lived and gone to college in Maryland I became a U MD basketball fan during that period and of course found the strength of the UNC and the Duke programs endlessly frustrating.  Dean Smith was the "perfect" coach at UNC.  Maryland had the tempestuous and colorful Lefty Driesell in those days in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

In any case, with that background I found these paragraphs very telling.....

Once, during a coaches meeting, Dean Smith made Lefty Driesell so angry that the old Maryland coach wrote Smith a letter telling him he'd never shake his hand again.

True to his word, the next time Maryland and North Carolina played, Driesell turned away the man he liked to call "a hook-nosed little sucker."

Yet years later, when Driesell's son, Chuck, came to him for advice about coaching, Driesell had just one tip.

"I told him, 'Don't model yourself after me; model yourself after Dean,'" Driesell recalled Sunday while driving home from Duke's game against Notre Dame. "Dean always said the right thing, did the right thing. He was a true gentleman."

[+] Enlargencb_g_smith-driesell01jr_D_200x300.jpg
Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesEven old opponents like Lefty Driesell couldn't help but respect Dean Smith.

Time, and more the frailty of a rival, has a way of smoothing away past resentments, and so it was with Driesell and his animosity toward Smith. In the final years of Smith's life, Driesell called Smith's secretary almost weekly to check in.

On Sunday, when he learned that Smith had died at the age of 83, he said simply and quietly, "I'll miss Dean."

• DonRocks and Pat like this

#1652 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,222 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

To Dean Smith who passed away last night and was evidently suffering from a form of dementia for the past few years and had been vacant from the public eye during these last period.

"Other than my parents, no one had a bigger influence on my life than Coach Smith. He was more than a coach - he was my mentor, my teacher, my second father. Coach was always there for me whenever I needed him and I loved him for it. In teaching me the game of basketball, he taught me about life. My heart goes out to Linnea and their kids. We've lost a great man who had an incredible impact on his players, his staff and the entire UNC family."

-- Michael Jordan

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1653 Lydia R

Lydia R

DC Taco Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:56 PM

David Carr - late of the Gray Lady, but also remembered from City Paper. Bob Simon and now this. 

Longreads has a brief reading list of his writing and writing about him. 

"I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to life for." Lou Gehrig 1939

#1654 farmer john

farmer john

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Dean Smith was one of my greatest childhood idols. Another of them was my brother Bruce. Today I drink to both of them.

Farmer/Owner - Glenburnie Farm Produce Co

Microgreens/Herbs/Seasonal Vegetables

#1655 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

David Carr - late of the Gray Lady, but also remembered from City Paper. Bob Simon and now this

http://nytimes.com/2...dead-at-58.html

Also, Ned Colt, former international and war correspondent for NBC News, died of a stroke at 58. (It was announced on the 12th but I haven't seen a date of death.)  He had left NBC to do humanitarian work in recent years.  I saw a brief mention in a news aggregation newsletter and otherwise wouldn't have known.  

#1656 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Carlos Llaguno Morales - chef of Les Halles and who appeared in several No Reservations episodes, including the fabulous episode in Puebla, Mexico, which featured his family.  

Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#1657 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

To Lesley Gore. It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

Gin boldly--that grace may abound!

#1658 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

To Sally Willey, my Goddaughter, who told everyone withing earshot, "Daddy is an awesome cook!" Why, yes, he is.

• DonRocks and JPW like this

#1659 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

To Lesley Gore. It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

You don't own me    Don't tell me what to do   hmmm.   Appropriate in 1964 and still appropriate.

#1660 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

To my oldest nephew's wife, who has to be one of the most intrepid young women I've ever met.  And to the baby, who is home safe through the snowstorm after three days at Johns Hopkins.

• LauraB likes this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users