Greek Deli Express, Farragut West - Chef Kostas Fostieris on 19th and L Streets NW

Sheesh. Greek Deli is a true DC institution as is Kostas. Love the place...and him with all his quirky cantankerousness (not a word).

When this popped up atop DC Restaurants here, I worried there was some bad news, like a closing...since this isn't a spot that gets frequent comment since sort of part of the 19th St sidewalk there.

All good. And, yeah, that was a great "overheard" exchange though have to wonder some how often blogs like that fabricate stuff since neither FCC nor WaPo Factchecker has resources or inclination to verify amusing trifles like that. Does surely sound like Kostas, a clichéd Greek version of the famed Seinfeldian soup vendor, albeit nicer.

Long live Greek Deli!

• Like 1

I tried to go today.  Sign says it is open 7 am to 4 pm.  Walked in a little before 10 am.  "We open at 11."  But your sign...  "We're here at 7 but we open at 11."

(They have a breakfast menu posted... I wasn't in the mood to argue with someone who clearly didn't want to serve me. Mr. BLB and I have been talking about having a lunch date to revisit it and the memories of our days living in Dupont--I think we'll head to CF Folks instead...)

39 minutes ago, bookluvingbabe said:

I tried to go today.  Sign says it is open 7 am to 4 pm.  Walked in a little before 10 am.  "We open at 11."  But your sign...  "We're here at 7 but we open at 11."

(They have a breakfast menu posted... I wasn't in the mood to argue with someone who clearly didn't want to serve me. Mr. BLB and I have been talking about having a lunch date to revisit it and the memories of our days living in Dupont--I think we'll head to CF Folks instead...)

They used to be open for breakfast - probably wasn't economical for them to do it anymore. That neighborhood is losing tenants with all the building tear downs and construction. Plus WaWa across the street, I'm sure it was too much to compete with that. Quality hasn't changed, though, so you should definitely try to get back there. Funny thing, CF Folks has a similar "soup nazi" vibe to it...😏

On 9/18/2018 at 11:11 AM, bookluvingbabe said:

In my experience their breakfast service was only ever active between 7-9 or so (but I haven't been that early in a few years).  You probably caught them in break down/transition to lunch and got Kosta-ed.

• Haha 1

Just a reminder that the Greek Deli made it though the pandemic, and is still serving the best lunches in the area. 

This note on their website though,

"Folks - I have 2 priorities in life. My family and my customers. For 31 years, I have lived to serve you high quality food. I am here in rain, sleet, snow and the pandemic. Today, I need your support more than ever. Please tell everyone that The Greek Deli is here to serve you! Let us put together your next family dinner. Thank you for the last 31 years and I hope to serve you for another 31!"

Please, please go if you're near Dupont. I'd be crushed if they ever had to close down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mtureck said:

Just a reminder that the Greek Deli made it though the pandemic, and is still serving the best lunches in the area. 

This note on their website though,

"Folks - I have 2 priorities in life. My family and my customers. For 31 years, I have lived to serve you high quality food. I am here in rain, sleet, snow and the pandemic. Today, I need your support more than ever. Please tell everyone that The Greek Deli is here to serve you! Let us put together your next family dinner. Thank you for the last 31 years and I hope to serve you for another 31!"

Please, please go if you're near Dupont. I'd be crushed if they ever had to close down. 

That place is my dad's favorite. He still treks in from Olney once in a while now that he is retired. I wish it were closer to from Columbia!

• Like 1

Somehow despite living a few blocks north for 13 years and working a couple of miles away for 14 years (many of those years overlapped) I never made it there. A travesty! I'll have to make a special trip to support them (and eat their delicious food).

Always been good food and still is. A few weeks ago when I was downtown, I got their pastitio. As with all of the order, huge portion of very tasty pastitio which comes with an ample portion of green beans with tomatos, orzo, a hunk of bread, and a good sized greek side salad. Definitely enough for 2 meals, maybe even three. All of it was very good except the bread was super plain - so good for mopping up sauces. Definitely, worthwhile if you are downtown and only a few blocks walk south of Dupont metro. I will also say it is sad to see how many places downtown there have closed - even the Chipotle closed. But it looks like several good indies are holding on like Greek Deli, Donburi, Bub and Pops, Yaffa Grille, Little Sesame, plus others. Some of these do delivery so show them some love even if you can't make it downtown.