Sweetgreen, A Georgetown-Based Salad and Yogurt Chain Expanding Rapidly At The National Level

I have never bought anything at Sweetgreen, and yesterday I was desperate for something cold to drink in the heat after walking back up Capitol Hill from the Mall. I had exhausted my supply of water and knew Sweetgreen was a little more than a block away. Perfect. I envisioned some sort of fruit or vegetable juice or water. Instead I happened upon a mirage in the desert. The sign on their front door said that they no longer accept cash so "download our app."  I don't have a  smart phone, so no app for me. And it seemed ridiculous to pay for a $2-3 beverage with a  credit card.  I did have plenty of cash, though...which I spent on a small grapefruit juice a few doors down at Pret A Manger. If I were ever planning to get a whole meal, a credit card would be feasible, but not for < $3, when there are other places nearby.

2 hours ago, Pat said:

And it seemed ridiculous to pay for a $2-3 beverage with a  credit card.

why is that ridiculous?  (i'm sincerely wondering.  i basically never use cash, and wouldn't think twice about paying for a small purchase like that with a card.  it's convenient for me and faster for the clerk.  i am likely to use cash at a tiny independent merchant, like a farmers market stall, where the credit card fee might be nontrivial to the vendor, but that's obviously not a concern here.)

and now i'm craving a rad thai.  

• Like 1

I had a $10 gift card to Sweetgreen, and I owed them a dollar for my salad bowl, which I paid for with a credit card. (I thought I'd be able to pay for part of my friend's lunch as well -- haha!) In this case I had no choice since they don't take cash, but I'd do the same in most places that accept credit cards. It's more significant that I'd pay for something in cash these days than that I'd use a credit card to pay a very small amount.

23 hours ago, jca76 said:

why is that ridiculous?  (i'm sincerely wondering.  i basically never use cash, and wouldn't think twice about paying for a small purchase like that with a card.  it's convenient for me and faster for the clerk.  i am likely to use cash at a tiny independent merchant, like a farmers market stall, where the credit card fee might be nontrivial to the vendor, but that's obviously not a concern here.)

and now i'm craving a rad thai.  

I try not to run up large amounts on credit cards, since we pay our bills off in full every month. I also keep all of my receipts and match everything against the monthly statement (which I realize many people don't do), and a bunch of small charges makes that an even more annoying task. Unless it's a situation where using cash means I'll have to run to an ATM soon after, I use cash as much as I can for smaller amounts (which I consider to be <$20).  I also try to tip in cash as much as I can since some business owners deduct a portion of noncash tips to offset their credit card fees.

For me, putting a $13 charge on a credit card would mean I'm close to out of cash; a $3 charge would only happen in an emergency.

I also pay my credit card bills off every month and keep close tabs on my transactions. In fact, I track most of my spending in mint.com, where the transactions from my linked credit cards appear automatically. I have to manually enter cash transactions, which is a deterrent to using cash. I generally tip in cash (though not usually at restaurants) -- this is how most of my cash gets spent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dracisk said:

I also pay my credit card bills off every month and keep close tabs on my transactions. In fact, I track most of my spending in mint.com, where the transactions from my linked credit cards appear automatically. I have to manually enter cash transactions, which is a deterrent to using cash. I generally tip in cash (though not usually at restaurants) -- this is how most of my cash gets spent.

I'm glad that works for you.:)