Mario Batali Axed from the Food Network

cucas87

According to Serious Eats, he's still on for Iron Chef.

"Sources said that network executives told the spotlight-loving chef last month his multiple shows, which includes the long-running "Molto Mario," would not be renewed and that he would no longer be competing in the popular "Iron Chef America" series.

"He said that if his shows weren't going to be renewed, then he wasn't going to do 'Iron Chef,' " said a network insider. "And then they essentially said 'ciao.' " "

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09052007/news/..._flames_out.htm

"Sources said that network executives told the spotlight-loving chef last month his multiple shows, which includes the long-running "Molto Mario," would not be renewed and that he would no longer be competing in the popular "Iron Chef America" series.
Too lazy to look it up, but Molto Mario hasn't been showing original episodes for a few years.

Too lazy to look it up, but Molto Mario hasn't been showing original episodes for a few years.

He does Ciao America (which hasn't had a new episode in almost 12 months), Molto Mario (which did have new episodes last season and I believe still has some new ones coming this fall), and Iron Chef America (on which he is by far the most entertaining of the 4 chefs).

He does Ciao America (which hasn't had a new episode in almost 12 months), Molto Mario (which did have new episodes last season and I believe still has some new ones coming this fall), and Iron Chef America (on which he is by far the most entertaining of the 4 chefs).
When the heck do they show his stuff? I haven't seen any of these (except Iron Chef). I had no idea. :angry:

Episodes of Molto Mario have been picked up on the Fine Living Network.

He'll probably do like Tony Bourdain. Go off to a competing network and then bad mouth the suits and everything else at FN. Which I think they richly deserve. Bourdain has been doing so well on Travel Network that it's not even funny. The recent shows have really been creative IMO, especially the most recent two (Cleveland and Hong Kong). We'll see where Mario lands. BTW, I looked around on this thread and elsewhere and haven't found what is the backstory on this---anyone know?

He'll probably do like Tony Bourdain. Go off to a competing network and then bad mouth the suits and everything else at FN. Which I think they richly deserve. Bourdain has been doing so well on Travel Network that it's not even funny. The recent shows have really been creative IMO, especially the most recent two (Cleveland and Hong Kong). We'll see where Mario lands. BTW, I looked around on this thread and elsewhere and haven't found what is the backstory on this---anyone know?

It would not surprise me if Mario ended up on Fine Living or Travel or other 'lifestyle' type channel. I've been catching up with loads of Molto Mario (some old, very old and some new, but all 'new to me') via DVR of late (just got one) and it's great. Thanks for the tip on Ciao America, I'll have to add it to me series manager... Mario's a cool dude, my wife and I (and several foodie friends) ran in to him at Totonno's (sp?) in NYC earlier this year. He was gracious enough to not only chat with us briefly but to also pose for a picture with the crew...

489193298_e77da35b5f.jpg

He'll probably do like Tony Bourdain. Go off to a competing network and then bad mouth the suits and everything else at FN. Which I think they richly deserve.

Not quite sure why you would bite the hand that fed you. Batali has always been a great chef, but he owes his wild success to the Food Network. What are the chances of him having this level of success if he was never on the Food Network!? And, as far as I can tell, did the Food Network ever do anything to him?

I just think that it is classless to bad mouth the entity that made you what you are unless they did something so awful to deserve it, which I don't think that they did.

:angry:?!

Hey, I'm just saying that Mario isn't some random person that happens to work for Food Network (like say, Giada). They may have made him famous but he helped make them famous as well. In relationships like that when one side wants to get rid of the other then things can be a bit strained.

Well this would certainly explain why Iron Chef has been looking for someone new...
.....at school over break :angry: Had to inventory and pallet-wrap everything the last day.

This isn't surprising. They're done with chefs. They want more of what the public craves*: Rachael and Sandra. Emeril is safe because he has charisma and the female 32-55 in his pocket, and Giada has the sex appeal. Alton** is next. Probably Chiarello, too.

*not electrolytes

**Being a regular watcher of Good Eats was easily worth 15 not-lost points on my final today

Hey, I'm just saying that Mario isn't some random person that happens to work for Food Network (like say, Giada). They may have made him famous but he helped make them famous as well. In relationships like that when one side wants to get rid of the other then things can be a bit strained.

No worries - was just being silly and liked the pic.

BTW, I looked around on this thread and elsewhere and haven't found what is the backstory on this---anyone know?

My rumors and speculation guess would be...FTV has been moving in a different direction for the past several years (ie: less restaurant chefs, more personality driven "chefs")...Batali was probably looking for a big pay day...I guess we can file that under "creative differences"

I'll miss him on Iron Chef, I always enjoyed the battles in which he appeared and he always had a fun rapport with Alton.

btw, in Ruhlman's Reach of a Chef book, FTV executives basically concede that there would be no FTV without emeril.

.....at school over break :angry: Had to inventory and pallet-wrap everything the last day.

This isn't surprising. They're done with chefs. They want more of what the public craves*: Rachael and Sandra. Emeril is safe because he has charisma and the female 32-55 in his pocket, and Giada has the sex appeal. Alton** is next. Probably Chiarello, too.

*not electrolytes

**Being a regular watcher of Good Eats was easily worth 15 not-lost points on my final today

Alton will end up elsewhere if they let him go. He's too entertaining, smart and talented.

As for Mario, all I know is that I can hop a train to NYC anytime to dine at one of his places. And I am sure his Molto Mario stuff will live on somewhere in re-runs. I'll miss him on ICA, though.

.....at school over break B) Had to inventory and pallet-wrap everything the last day.

*not electrolytes

Chiarello has this 32-55 female in his pocket WAY more than Emeril ever did/will. I'll take NapaStyle over BAM any day :angry: ! At least I can find him on PBS and Fine Living should FN get rid of him.

Chiarello has this 32-55 female in his pocket WAY more than Emeril ever did/will. I'll take NapaStyle over BAM any day :angry: ! At least I can find him on PBS and Fine Living should FN get rid of him.

I just hate his buddy buddy schtick when he has his friends on cooking with him.

Suggest the title of this thread should be expanded because...:

Bam! Emeril Gets the Axe

by Michael Y. Park

on 11/27/07 at 07:22 AM

The Food Network's kicked it up a notch, but not in the way Emeril Lagasse probably would've preferred--they're canceling production on Lagasse's long-running show "Emeril Live." The decision was reportedly made despite the fact that Lagasse had signed a five-year contract renewal with the network in 2003. The final taping will take place on Dec. 11, and Lagasse and Food Network will still share daytime's "Essence of Emeril," but it's an undeniable comedown for the catchphrase-prone guy who once stood on the top of the celebrity-chef heap and was Food Network's so-called "cornerstone" only four years ago. Four long years of more photogenic, bubblier, edgier, nakeder, cleavage-ier younger celebrity chefs, that is.

In honor of the passing of "Emeril Live" and all those catchphrases we'll hear 50 percent less of from now on, let's open it up to you, the readers. Give us your best "Emeril Live" tribute headlines.

[From the epiblog on Epicurious.com]

Suggest the title of this thread should be expanded because...:

Bam! Emeril Gets the Axe

by Michael Y. Park

on 11/27/07 at 07:22 AM

The Food Network's kicked it up a notch, but not in the way Emeril Lagasse probably would've preferred--they're canceling production on Lagasse's long-running show "Emeril Live." The decision was reportedly made despite the fact that Lagasse had signed a five-year contract renewal with the network in 2003. The final taping will take place on Dec. 11, and Lagasse and Food Network will still share daytime's "Essence of Emeril," but it's an undeniable comedown for the catchphrase-prone guy who once stood on the top of the celebrity-chef heap and was Food Network's so-called "cornerstone" only four years ago. Four long years of more photogenic, bubblier, edgier, nakeder, cleavage-ier younger celebrity chefs, that is.

In honor of the passing of "Emeril Live" and all those catchphrases we'll hear 50 percent less of from now on, let's open it up to you, the readers. Give us your best "Emeril Live" tribute headlines.

[From the epiblog on Epicurious.com]

Wow. Emeril built the Food Network. Oh well, guess it'll be left to RR, Sandra Lee, and Ingrid whatsername to ruin any food cred the network has left. Not sure why someone like Symon would want to get on this sinking ship...

Wow. Emeril built the Food Network. Oh well, guess it'll be left to RR, Sandra Lee, and Ingrid whatsername to ruin any food cred the network has left. Not sure why someone like Symon would want to get on this sinking ship...
I felt the same way after Mario and Sara Moulton got their programs axed as well, but there are still some worthwhile programs on TFN such as Iron Chef and Alton Brown. The thing I don't understand is why they put many of their most interesting stuff either on Prime Time in competition with everything else on during those time slots or post-prime time. But now that I have acquired a DVR, I guess the programming decisions of TFN's mangment don't matter that much to me :(

I felt the same way after Mario and Sara Moulton got their programs axed as well, but there are still some worthwhile programs on TFN such as Iron Chef and Alton Brown. The thing I don't understand is why they put many of their most interesting stuff either on Prime Time in competition with everything else on during those time slots or post-prime time. But now that I have acquired a DVR, I guess the programming decisions of TFN's mangment don't matter that much to me :(
New article on the Food Network and its demise in the times this morning. Quoth Batali “They don’t need me. They have decided they are mass market and they are going after the Wal-Mart crowd,” which he said was “a smart business decision. So they don’t need someone who uses polysyllabic words from other languages.” Wonder who he's talking about?

NY Times

Ms. Johnson called “Top Chef” a copy of “The Next Food Network Star,” but “without the care about the food content, which we bring to everything we do.”

:(

I particularly love the bit about Batali's new show:

His new series — a food tour of Spain with Gwyneth Paltrow, Mark Bittman, a food columnist for The New York Times, and the Spanish actress Claudia Bassols — will instead appear in the fall in prime time on public television.

Mr. Tuschman of the Food Network said it had passed on that series. “It was not the right fit for us.”

Mr. Batali, who still participates in the Food Network’s “Iron Chef America” competition, said the show had not been offered to the Food Network.

:(

Was it the shoes that threw you, Don? ;)

Listen, the Food Network is baby steps for a guy like Batali. All I want to say is "Good luck, Mr Batali, hope I get to see you cooking up a storm somewhere else, very soon. You're bigger and better than FN, despite your shoes. Seriously, no loss for you...moving up!"

Speaking of shoes, this development must be alarming to Mr. Batali.

I attended the NRA (National Restaurant Assc.) show in Chicago in May. There were maybe a dozen footwear sellers there with chef clogs and the whole bit, including Crocs who had a giant picture of Mario as the backdrop of their booth. I guess we need to wait to see if they're still around next year.

It's easy to say that stuff now (the "always been about packaging" shit), that he runs, along with Bastianich, a mega empire.

But his first shows on the Food Network, when TFN was about cooking and teaching, were true gems.

And having eaten at Po when he was the chef, as well as Lupa, Babbo, Del Posto, Otto, et.al. - anyone that knows anything about the esthetic of Italian cooking knows that he understands it and carries it off well.