Pupatella, a Local Neapolitan Pizza Chain Undergoing Expansion

Jenna and I split a arugula and prosciutto pie and a salad #1 (which happens to be a arugula and prosciutto salad). Loved it. The ham and mushroom is another favorite. This place really hits a sweet spot for me of high quality and reasonable prices that is not too full of itself. The folks who own the place are behind the counter every day, making great food. It's now my default spot for pizza.... and these days there are a lot of great spots for pizza around.

This week's special pizza is inspired by Chris Bianco - how could I not? White Pizza with Red Onion, Rosemary, Pistachios, and Parmesan ($10)

!! I saw that after I had already ordered. I knew I should have just gotten 2 pizzas.

And thanks to Pupatella for making their arancino without the fake meat - so much better.

I'm just going to lead off by saying it: Pupatella sits in the sweet spot among top tier pizzerias right now. It's hard to describe without comparisons to Orso, several miles away in Falls Church, so there's no point in avoiding the matter. It falls short in the dough department, and you won't find many high-end toppings on offer, but the bake is right, the sauces are right, and everything I've tried has been delicious so far, including the salads. I can vouch for the Bianco-inspired special that Don mentioned, as well as for their 'true' Margherita.

Where its menu overlaps Orso's, Pupatella is maybe a buck or two less expensive. The menu is much more limited in its breadth, but includes the tried-and-true items that most people are likely to want. Good arancini, too.

Even with its limitations, Pupatella instantly makes it into my top category of area pizzerias. No, it's still not as good nor as ambitious as Orso, or 2Amys (on a good day). But the pizzas they do make aren't that far behind, and are stlll better than anything I've found in Maryland.

The space itself is fun, even though it still reminds me of a converted laundromat with its big front windows. The furnishings are a colorful and eclectic mix that evoke the early space age. Parking in front is very limited.

Wow. Just wow. I have driven past this place over and over and never even gave it a look, but finally (thank the food gods for this board) stopped in today for a quick lunch. The space is trippy, but I quite enjoyed it. I really dug the communal do-it-yourself vibe as well.

Had the weekend special pizza - white pizza with gorgonzola, brie, tart cherries and thinly sliced red onion. Interesting flavors, but perhaps could have used a bit more cherry and a bit less onion - it is still living with me a couple of hours later. The crust itself, though, was very, very good. A nice yeasty doughy taste with delightful chew and (the one thing I have been missing at Orso so far) wonderful char flavor.

Finished off with a coconut gelato (YUM) but also sampled the Peroni beer gelato. Yes, you read that right.

Arrancino Vegetarian ($3.50) stuffed with mozzarella and roasted eggplant.

Try this with the Falanghina dei Campi Flegrei ($30, discounted to $20 with the purchase of two pizzas). Wow - two great individual food items, combining to become one.

If you want food and wine synergy, try this combination.

Filetti ($12) with no sauce, sweet cherry tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and garlic. All I can say is this: Anyone lliving equidistant between the lower-priced Pupatella, and the higher-priced Pizzeria Orso - each Best In Class - is a lucky person.

Cheers,

Rocks

All I can say is this: Anyone lliving equidistant between the lower-priced Pupatella, and the higher-priced Pizzeria Orso - each Best In Class - is a lucky person.

Cheers,

Rocks

Pretty close. According to Google Maps, about a mile and a half to Pupatella, and under three miles to Orso. And I do consider myself lucky. Both are in frequent rotation, but I more frequently end up at Pupatella. Enough has already been said about the pizzas, which are excellent, but the service is great too. For a small spot with no true waitstaff and only a couple of people behind the counter handling the crowds, they do an excellent job of keeping things running smoothly and making you feel welcome. On only my second visit shortly after they opened, I was remembered by name. That was impressive. And on another occasion when I had to wait a few minutes longer than normal for my pizza due to being in line behind a huge party, I was offered a beer on the house while I waited. Those are the kind of touches that will keep me coming back.

Considering our inaugural visit to Pupatella tonight or tomorrow evening and am wondering about logistics since we'll have two small kids in tow. In the 6-6:30 timeframe, is there usually a large crowd? Is a long wait for a table likely? Just wondering so we can plan accordingly.

My friend and I came for the first time. Wow! The crust was wonderful. The toppings were fresh and delicious. They are going to see a lot of me at this place. Everything was reasonably priced. I am so lucky there are so many good pizza places in Arlington these days. It's my favorite food.

Ditto for me. We made our first visit to Pupatella on Saturday and I just found my new favorite pizza place. Everything we got was tasty, but the special frutti di mer pizza was particularly wonderful. It was crammed with fresh cherry tomatoes and ocean dwellers, and the crust is as pillowy and light as the website promised.

We actually went to 2 Amys the Sunday before and I like Pupatella’s toppings and the crust better. The wait is definitely shorter, at least for now. There’s Safeway parking across the street! Plus you guys cut my pizza without being asked!

Yup, you'll be seeing a lot more of me in the future.

Ditto for me. We made our first visit to Pupatella on Saturday and I just found my new favorite pizza place. Everything we got was tasty, but the special frutti di mer pizza was particularly wonderful. It was crammed with fresh cherry tomatoes and ocean dwellers, and the crust is as pillowy and light as the website promised...

Say hi next time.

And the same order, too. The frutti di mare with whole baby squid, tiny briny shrimp, and small-but-enthusiastic scallops is now my favorite item, followed closely by the proscuitto and arugula from the regular menu.

Outrageously fresh, delicious, and balanced, I wound up eating the whole darn thing in five minutes.

(lifestyles of the richly gluttonous)

(starring)

(kmango)

I also thought the frutti di mare was an excellent pie when I enjoyed it last week. I hope it reappears frequently as a special.

My only minor quibble on the last visit was that the arugula salad came with a container of balsamic on the side rather than being served pre-dressed with that nice light lemon dressing I'd enjoyed on previous visits.

My only minor quibble on the last visit was that the arugula salad came with a container of balsamic on the side rather than being served pre-dressed with that nice light lemon dressing I'd enjoyed on previous visits.

I had the same thought when I got my arugula salad this weekend. That being said, I freaking LOVE this place. I am also sad to see they are not using the pizza boxes with their cute kid on the top.

The pizza was fantastic, I think the crust has improved since the last time I had their pizza and the risotto balls should not be overlooked on your next visit.

Ate at Pupatella last night and the 2 pizzas---white sauce & spinach and salami & olives--were superb. This place blows away Pizza Paradiso. After an initial adjustment to the soft, pliant and pillowy Neaopolitan crust, I now find it heavenly. It's the perfect vehicle for their classy topping. Needless to say, the casual atmosphere and friendly staff make this my favorite restaurant. Joe

After a late meeting and beer with the guys at Westover (fun new things coming up BTW), I managed to sneak in right before closing for a late take out dinner. Things had slowed down at that point with just a few folks eating in. Behind the counter they were working on the next day's sandwich bread in the oven. I ordered my usual, Arugula salad with Prosciutto, and ham and mushroom pizza. I waited, smelling that heavenly bread, and chatted a bit with Enzo about the process and how I haven't gotten a sandwich because the pizzas were so good.

He apologized about my pizza taking a minute to get in the oven as they were finishing the bread. I was in no hurry and it was literally only a few minutes so it was totally fine. Before I knew it my pizza was ready and he threw in a loaf to boot. "Try it, make a sandwich at home, it's best hot so warm it up." he said. It didn't last that long. Jenna and I tore into the still warm bread and pizza as well as the salad once it got home, and I ended up finishing the bread for breakfast today. Win and win.

I was there last night on the earlier side (kid in tow) and had the spicy salami, kalamata & fontina pizza - lovely. Kiddo had the kid pizza and loved it, along with the bread from my bruschetta and gelato for both of us. Anastasia is alway so nice and understanding about the kids (we were 4 moms total with a 6 year old, a 3 year old, an 18 monther and my 16 monther). Cannot say enough good things about the quality of the food and the kindness of the owners.

I was there last night on the earlier side (kid in tow) and had the spicy salami, kalamata & fontina pizza - lovely. Kiddo had the kid pizza and loved it, along with the bread from my bruschetta and gelato for both of us. Anastasia is alway so nice and understanding about the kids (we were 4 moms total with a 6 year old, a 3 year old, an 18 monther and my 16 monther). Cannot say enough good things about the quality of the food and the kindness of the owners.

My wife and I wanted to try Pupatella on Sat evening but were discouraged from doing so upon walking in. We didn't see highchairs, which we needed for a 1yr old, and it was mostly the high tables available. So, we unfortunately had to go somewherre else, which stinks because we really wanted to try here.

My wife and I wanted to try Pupatella on Sat evening but were discouraged from doing so upon walking in. We didn't see highchairs, which we needed for a 1yr old, and it was mostly the high tables available. So, we unfortunately had to go somewherre else, which stinks because we really wanted to try here.

Sorry to hear that. We have many high chairs available - we put them all in the back near the bathroom. Next time ask us - we 'll be happy to set it up for you. Hope to see you next time!

As if baking fantastic pizzas isn't enough, I discovered yesterday that they sell Coke in a bottle that is made with sugar and not corn syrup! It is imported from Mexico. I just got back from Turkey and was enjoying the sugar coke there, which is the way they made it here when I was a kid. Now I don't have to go to Europe to have sugar Coke. Thank you, Pupatella.

Laziness and goodness is the ability to order online (just now!) at Pupatella for evening pick up! Will report back how it goes tonight. Excited!!

Eta: Reporting back:

Ordered for 6:20pm pickup; got in at 6:29pm and it was waiting for me! Piping hot!! So good that I ate a slice then and there. And even though carry out pies are not cut, the awesome crew at Pupatella took the time to cut it, after seeing lil o' me rip off a bit off the warm pizza from starvation.

I was thinking how good ingredients and food evoke powerful thoughts and memories--this little charming place and its food certainly does that.

PS. A Yard's Brewing Company's Philadelphia Pale Ale complements my pizza so wonderfully. Yum.

A few weeks ago we had the special pizza with duck confit, dried apricots, pine nuts and a pungent cheese (gorgonzola maybe?). I think it may have had a cream base as well. It was freakin' delicious. I've enjoyed their spinach pizza, too, and the margherita is as good as the other area standouts (2 Amys, Orso, etc.).

Don - Where does Pupatella fit in this mix? I love me some Pupatella.

I have to admit you are right about American Flatbread. I had a horrible service experience there the first time I visited and tried to use a Groupon. It put a bad taste in my mouth, even though the food was delicious. I am willing to forgive and forget and eat there more often. The pizza is very good and that is all that matters.

I've been to Pupatella probably a dozen times now, and on my last visit, the pizzas were better than ever (Enzo changed the dough, and it's even better than it was).

I didn't include Pupatella in the mix because it's not in the same corridor (it's more west-west Ballston), but along with Pizzeria Orso, it's one of my two favorite places in the area for pizza right now. I honestly think Pupatella is on its way to national recognition IF they stay like they are.

I've been to Pupatella probably a dozen times now, and on my last visit, the pizzas were better than ever (Enzo changed the dough, and it's even better than it was).

I didn't include Pupatella in the mix because it's not in the same corridor (it's more west-west Ballston), but along with Pizzeria Orso, it's one of my two favorite places in the area for pizza right now. I honestly think Pupatella is on its way to national recognition IF they stay like they are.

I really wish they had a larger location right in the heart of Ballston, perhaps where that absolutely dreadful chain just opened in Ballston serving authentically TERRIBLE pizza. :)

I love pupatella. I love the staff, I love the feel of the restaurant, I love that they grew out of their food cart, and most of all I love the pizzas. I really don't feel like they get the press they deserve.

That settles it, I know where I am going to dinner tonight.

Had my first Pupatella experience last night and, while not without quibbles, it was very satisfying. Ordered by phone on the way in and was received very graciously and told 20 minutes. I got there about 25 minutes later and it was probably another 10 before I got my pies so the time estimate was a bit off. What a fun atmosphere to wait those few minutes though- -everyone friendly and the little waiting area comfortable and funky. You truly feel like you're in a cool and special place. And the view of the embers (and occasional flames!) inside the big red over was spectacular. As the FAQ promised, the pizzas were in and out of the oven in a minute (how does that happen!) and I was out the door and off to Alexandria moments later. The drive was just a moment or two too long and the the pies had cooled off a smidge but not beyond being REALLY special and enjoyable. I've heard about tinkering with the dough- - -if so, the tinkering paid off because it was just delicious soft and pillowy while not distracting from the main event of simple sauce and toppings- -we did the chorizo, the real margherita and the spinach. I wasn't so fond of the latter though my wife loved it- -I found the pecorino cheese a bit overwhelming and the garlic (while clearly fresh) a little heavy (and I'm a garlic fan). The chorizo pie was sooo flavorful - - - just a feast in every bite - - - maybe a touch saltier (the sausage I think) than I might've preferred but that is a SMALL quibble- -that pizza just disappeared from the box. Best for last, the real margherita - - - a simple unspoiled balanced pure delight - - - beautiful to look at, even more beautiful to taste. Overall a really great experience and I will go back in a heartbeat (I noticed after I'd ordered the special pie with sausage and rapini that I bet is to die for. Thanks Enzo!

Best for last, the real margherita - - - a simple unspoiled balanced pure delight - - - beautiful to look at, even more beautiful to taste. Overall a really great experience and I will go back in a heartbeat (I noticed after I'd ordered the special pie with sausage and rapini that I bet is to die for. Thanks Enzo!

I had my first Pupatella pizza on Friday night. I got a real margherita -- delicious. I live too far away to take it home so I had the guy cut it and ate it in the car. The sauce is very tangy, and the crust is just fantastic. Also got an arancino 2 -- the vegetarian one. Very tasty and filling. I bet my kids will like this.

People who live close to Pupatella and Orso are very very lucky.

NB: This is not great car pizza (like say, the Italian Store's, which you can eat with one hand and not fear it flopping into your lap), just great pizza.

Went here for the first time Saturday afternoon. My sister wanted me to try it after I told here I brought the kids and wife to Pizzeria Orso Friday night. I must say, Pupatella is outstanding! I had the prosciutto-arugula, and the crust was hot, crispy on the outside, and doughy in the middle. The sauce was tangy, and the prosciutto was tasty and salty. There was so much arugula on top it could have been a salad. Cheese was chewy and gooey, just the way I like it. My wife had the eggplant pizza which she liked, and a regular cheese for the kids. After going to Pizzeria Orso, which was a big disappointment, this was fantastic. My kids even said they liked Pupatella more than Orso! We also had some fried brussel sprouts that were incredibly delicious, a special for the day. I'm not too fond of the Ikea inspired decor, but it is a welcome change from some of the other places around here. Can't say too much about the gelato, I'm a superpremium ice cream guy myself. It was also nice to see the owners putting in the hours and making the pizza. I'm a little surprised that they are closed TWO days a week, but hey, it's a tough business! Thanks for the great pizza Pupatella, we'll be back!

I'm a little surprised that they are closed TWO days a week, but hey, it's a tough business!

I love Enzo and Anastasiya, and I totally understand them wanting family time off, but I surely wish they were open on Sundays, as that's the day I'm most likely to have time to drive to Arlington from Potomac for that outrageously good pizza.

Went here for the first time Saturday afternoon. My sister wanted me to try it after I told here I brought the kids and wife to Pizzeria Orso Friday night. I must say, Pupatella is outstanding! I had the prosciutto-arugula, and the crust was hot, crispy on the outside, and doughy in the middle. The sauce was tangy, and the prosciutto was tasty and salty. There was so much arugula on top it could have been a salad. Cheese was chewy and gooey, just the way I like it. My wife had the eggplant pizza which she liked, and a regular cheese for the kids. After going to Pizzeria Orso, which was a big disappointment, this was fantastic. My kids even said they liked Pupatella more than Orso! We also had some fried brussel sprouts that were incredibly delicious, a special for the day. I'm not too fond of the Ikea inspired decor, but it is a welcome change from some of the other places around here. Can't say too much about the gelato, I'm a superpremium ice cream guy myself. It was also nice to see the owners putting in the hours and making the pizza. I'm a little surprised that they are closed TWO days a week, but hey, it's a tough business! Thanks for the great pizza Pupatella, we'll be back!

I am no expert on this style of pizza, but my taste buds have Pupatella ranked WAY higher than Pizzeria Orso. The dough/crust is fantastic, taste and texture, and the Margherita is packed with honest flavor considering the simple, basic ingredients used. Orso is no slouch, either, but these guys have nailed it, in my book. Orso does get the upper hand in ambiance, if one is looking for a restaurant-style dining out experience. I am very happy that these two options are out there.

Glad everybody is enjoying our pizza!

Yes, we'd like to be open everyday too, but that means having other cooks making pizzas sometimes - something that Enzo would just not allow. He is a major control freak and a perfectionist, but I guess that's why the pizzas are so good.

Please either pick up your phone or get online to take the order. This has now happened about three times. :)

Way way too many online and phone orders - the phone basically does not stop ringing. We just can't keep up! Please stop telling about us to your friends :) Let's keep our little place a secret...

Way way too many online and phone orders - the phone basically does not stop ringing. We just can't keep up! Please stop telling about us to your friends :) Let's keep our little place a secret...

Starving, we gave up on calling and online ordering, and came in tonight - there was a wait of 20-25 minutes (which isn't so long, but after trying forever beforehand, it seemed like an eternity), so we left and went elsewhere.

I'd much, much rather see you do this than compromise on quality, but ... my favorite little restaurant is becoming inaccessible. :)

Are you getting an idea of what your peak hours are, just for future reference? I'm willing to adjust my schedule around yours. :lol:

Cheers,

Rocks

P.S. This is a bizarro holiday season for me, restaurant-wise - today for lunch, Arax Cafe didn't have anything I tried to order (no Armenian meat pies? WTF?), so I ... I ... left and went elsewhere. *facepalm*

Starving, we gave up on calling and online ordering, and came in tonight - there was a wait of 20-25 minutes (which isn't so long, but after trying forever beforehand, it seemed like an eternity), so we left and went elsewhere.

I'd much, much rather see you do this than compromise on quality, but ... my favorite little restaurant is becoming inaccessible. :)

Are you getting an idea of what your peak hours are, just for future reference? I'm willing to adjust my schedule around yours. :)

Cheers,

Rocks

P.S. This is a bizarro holiday season for me, restaurant-wise - today for lunch, Arax Cafe didn't have anything I tried to order (no Armenian meat pies? WTF?), so I ... I ... left and went elsewhere. *facepalm*

Aaah, so you are that friend in the car that refused to wait...:-) I remembered your friend after she left.

Avoid the time between 6 and 8pm if you want to be served quickly or order on the phone or online. Lunch is always the best bet.

Although the last couple of weeks have been even busier than normal as many people are on vacation, and everyone is bringing their visiting families. So maybe it won't be like this anymore in the new year. But then the Washington Post came and took pictures the other day, I don't know what and when they will write, but it might bring more people.

No Armenian pies???? WTF

Earlier this week I was one of those people bringing in visiting family members. Mom was in town to celebrate Christmas with the grandkids and on our way back from BJ's (some things never change) we picked up a few pizzas for lunch. I thought I noticed the improvements in the dough mentioned above although that could simply be the power of suggestion. My favorite remains the salami pizza but mom's ham and mushroom was much better than I had expected. The mushrooms had been sauteed in white wine just prior and the flavor worked really well with the ham.

Yesterday I found myself at the zoo and thus 2 amys. Your pizza was much better, though I do so love their small plates, one day I'll wise up and just order those :).

Great work as always although my officemates and I do so miss your cart

Using the Dempster–Shafer theory and taking the evidence at hand:

• I guess you'll just have to open a second location to deal with all the crowds.
    I vote Maryland. :)

• Yes, we'd like to be open everyday too, but that means having other cooks making pizzas sometimes - something that Enzo would just not allow. He is a major control freak and a perfectionist, but I guess that's why the pizzas are so good.

I would say that the probability of this happening are between 0 and not a chance in hell...