Side Dishes for Roasted Pork Shoulder?

Seanchai

We're having a casual neighborhood get-together this weekend and I have a pork shoulder (Boston butt) in the freezer that I want to eat, I mean prepare. Here's the recipe I'm planning to use. It's from Michael Chiarello and I've made it before, though I plan to reduce the salt a little bit:

cup Roasted Garlic Rub, recipe follows

1 (6-pound) boneless pork shoulder or butt roast (not tied)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

If necessary, trim fat from top of pork, leaving a 1/8-inch thick layer of fat. Spread Roasted Garlic Rub all over pork and inside any cavities, concentrating on boned side.

Put pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 6 to 8 hours. Transfer roast to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes. Pull shreds apart with tongs into chunks. Serve.

Roasted Garlic Rub:

2 cups roasted minced garlic

5 tablespoons salt

1/4 cup coriander seeds, ground and toasted

2 tablespoons mustard powder

4 tablespoons dried chipotle pepper, ground

2 tablespoons dried thyme

5 tablespoons dried rosemary, finely chopped

5 tablespoons lemon zest

2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Can also be mixed by hand in a bowl, but make sure to combine well.

What would be tasty side dishes that would complement this dish but not be too fussy, i.e, involve a lot of extra work? Thanks for any help.

Butternut squash is easy. I cook it in aluminum foil in the oven. Place cubes on foil, drizzle with evoo, salt and pepper, and a pat or two of butter. Seal up the foil and bake on sheet pan at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

I think rappini goes well with pork too.

Red Cabbage is one of my favs

1 head of Red cabbage (sliced up, remove core)

2 apples cores and sliced up

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 t oregano

salt and Pepper to taste

Put in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes till tender.

Purists might start with a couple of pieces of bacon in the pot, I like the cabbage without the grease.

Either squash (butternut, acorn, delicata, whatever) or sweet potatoes would be a nice, simple choice with pork. I just cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake it facedown on aluminum foil for easy cleanup. It's easy to scoop out of the shell once it's cooked, and it mashes easily, with or without butter and milk.

Shredded brussels sprouts cooked with a little butter and/or bacon would be nice too. These can be done on the stovetop in five minutes or so; the only work is the shredding, and in this form they lose a lot of that distinctive bitterness that some people don't like.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions thus far. Since we're likely to do this buffet style, I'll probably be focusing on the options that will hold up without being piping hot. People are also bringing other stuff to eat, so I want to make sure there's cross-over appeal as well. Thanks to your input, I'm starting to lean toward apples and/or sweet potatoes ...

Cabbage and noodles. Slowly cook sliced onion in lots of butter; add sliced or chopped apples and when almost tender, add shredded green cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is just tender. Season with salt, pepper, and black poppy seeds, and toss with buttered egg noodles.

Hm. Now I know what to have for dinner next time Mr P is out of town.