That would be Chateau Musar I believe. And maybe you'll find it right here......

http://www.zaytinya.com/documents/Musarinvite.pdf

Wow. That should be under "Events" or something. Not to be missed. Thanks, hmmboy.

Well it used to be at the original Lebanese Taverna on Washington Blvd, but that was about five restaurant-openings ago.

A friend recently raved to me about the version at Neyla. Although it was the first time she had ever tried the dish, I trust her palate completely.

And Chateau Musar is the brettiest, most overrated wine in the Languedoc. tongue.gif

Cheers,

Rocks.

Rocks -- thanks for the tip on Neyla. I will not rest until I find the best kibbee nayee in the DC area, or my name is not Kibbee Nayee!

I never thought of Musar being bretty, but I used to joke with my Middle Eastern friends that each bottle had shrapnel in it. Probably that danged Cinsault grape....

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Neyla (Kibbee Nayee)

Nora Taste of Lebanon (Biotech)

Kibbeh Nayeh in the Shopping and Cooking Forum (Kibbee Nayee)]

Kibbeh is one of my favorite dishes ever. I enjoy the ones at the Lebanese Taverna cafe and I know this place is kind of ghetto but I had them the other night at DC Cafe on P St. and I thought they were very good- more meaty than the ones at L.T. I haven't been to Neyla but it is definitely on my list.

Kibbeh is one of my favorite dishes ever. I enjoy the ones at the Lebanese Taverna cafe

Bear in mind kibbeh is more like a fried meatball of minced meat and bulgur, whereas kibbeh nayyeh is served completely raw, not unlike a steak tartare. I think the ingredients are very similar, but the dishes are vastly different.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Bear in mind kibbeh is more like a fried meatball of minced meat and bulgur, whereas kibbeh nayyeh is served completely raw, not unlike a steak tartare. I think the ingredients are very similar, but the dishes are vastly different.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Thanks for the clarification Don. Maybe I won't be going to Neyla to try that afterall.

sounds like an interesting dish..anyone have a photo?

Uh, how about my avatar?

I've been on a one-man mission since I moved to this area to find the best kibbee nayee. It was my comfort food growing up -- my mother is of Syrian descent. So far, credible versions have been had at the original Lebanese Taverna (before it expanded next door) in Arlington, Layla in Old Town (recently, as an appetizer), Layalina in Arlington (must order ahead 24-48 hours), and as an occasional special at places like Mediterranean Gourmet Market in Franconia.

I am open to suggestions. I will assume Lebanese Butcher should be on my near-term list, but every time I'm in the area I get distracted by Vietnamese and Chinese food....

• Like 1

I asked a friend of mine of Lebanese descent about what restaurants would have this, and she said that she had gotten it at Mama Ayesha's on Calvert Street, NW. She had to request it specially (I gather it took quite a bit of persuasion), and this was a number of years ago. According to their online menu, they do feature the cooked form, so maybe you could try a friendly campaign, after they've gotten to know you.

http://www.mamaayeshas.com/

I asked a friend of mine of Lebanese descent about what restaurants would have this, and she said that she had gotten it at Mama Ayesha's on Calvert Street, NW. She had to request it specially (I gather it took quite a bit of persuasion), and this was a number of years ago. According to their online menu, they do feature the cooked form, so maybe you could try a friendly campaign, after they've gotten to know you.

http://www.mamaayeshas.com/

Quite a few places actually offer it if you order it about 48 hours in advance. I had it a Layalina, although sometimes it's offered as a Sunday special there.

Mama Ayesha's is where Helen Thomas of the White House press corps regularly dines at a special table in the back.

You'd be surprised how many politicos are of Arab-American descent, and they all need places to eat! Donna Shalala, John Sununu (both of them), deceased Ambassador Philip Habib, Senator George Mitchell, General Abizaid, Ralph Nader, Senator and Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham, and quite a few other of my "paisanos" -- and they all have appetites!

By the way, did you know that Steve Jobs had a Syrian mother? I'll bet he had quite a bit of kibbee nayee growing up!

First time trying this dish, but I enjoyed the Zaytinya rendition. Heavy on the garlic and herbs, so not much beef flavor...is there supposed to be some? The texture was very enjoyable, the wheat lending a chewy graininess.

ETA: enjoyed a glass of Boutari Naousa to wash it down. Punchy fruit up front, dried out in the end but not harsh. Simple, easy to drink.

Some relatives were in town this weekend, so in addition to my signature grilled marinated tri-tip and grilled brined pork chops, I went to Lebanese Butcher and picked up some kibbee nayee. It takes a good 20 minutes to prepare, because they wash the grinder parts thoroughly before grinding, then meticulously trim the meat of all visible fat, and then grind the meat three times before introducing the spices and cracked wheat. I brought about 3.5 lbs. home, plated it on a nice platter, garnished with lots of fresh raw onion petals and cucumber slices and bell pepper planks, and then drizzled the Saifan olive oil on top. My nephew and I downed probably 2.5 lbs. between us. It was un-frikkin-believably good.

Naturally, the little that was left over was cooked into kibbee 'footballs' and was also pretty darned good. At least as of last Saturday evening, I may have found northern Virginia's best version of my namesake dish.

At least as of last Saturday evening, I may have found northern Virginia's best version of my namesake dish.

I agree - Lebanese Butcher has by far and away the best Kibbeh Nayyeh around - the closest to my grandmother's I have ever tasted. Not impressed with Zaytinya's at all and there are too many other things worth ordering on that menu to waste a dish on average Nayyeh.

I agree - Lebanese Butcher has by far and away the best Kibbeh Nayyeh around - the closest to my grandmother's I have ever tasted. Not impressed with Zaytinya's at all and there are too many other things worth ordering on that menu to waste a dish on average Nayyeh.

You're one of my peeps?

While I love the Lebanese Butcher's version, they are observant Muslims and there will be no arak served there. Therefore, I prefer to indulge at Layalina, where Sam himself will make a credible version of kibbee nayee (call ahead) and have plenty of arak to accompany it. When I go there I always take a designated driver (who always gets a free meal)!

You're one of my peeps?

While I love the Lebanese Butcher's version, they are observant Muslims and there will be no arak served there. Therefore, I prefer to indulge at Layalina, where Sam himself will make a credible version of kibbee nayee (call ahead) and have plenty of arak to accompany it. When I go there I always take a designated driver (who always gets a free meal)!

Sort of - Lebanese not Syrian. Usually do carryout at Lebanese butcher and I have been meaning to get to Laylina - I read they serve kibbah nayee only on the weekends? Laylina also doesn't seem to have meat (preferably lamb) grape leaves which is another nostalgic favorite of mine that's hard to find that Lebanese Butcher does well. Damn vegetarians.

Sort of - Lebanese not Syrian. Usually do carryout at Lebanese butcher and I have been meaning to get to Laylina - I read they serve kibbah nayee only on the weekends? Laylina also doesn't seem to have meat (preferably lamb) grape leaves which is another nostalgic favorite of mine that's hard to find that Lebanese Butcher does well. Damn vegetarians.

If you call ahead, Sam will take care of you. You can get kibbee nayeh and warak enab with meat with about 24 hours notice.

At DC Food Fight on Thursday, November 11, Lebanese Taverna chose to showcase Kibbee Nayeh as their main dish. Let me just say, it was scrumptious.

A dollop of Kibbee Nayeh, the size of a small golf ball or a large marble, with a nice fresh leaf of mint, a small wedge of sweet onion and a mere triangle of pita....heaven in one bite.

I only had about a half dozen of these jewels, because I felt guilty about returning for more and more....

I insist on Zaytinya's version. Not as creamy as other versions, probably b/c it's not ground as much. Now I am yet to have the same flavors in a kibbe nayeh from place to place. My regular lebanese restaurant in Spain where i now live, has a version that has more of a red pepper flavor and sometimes more cumin (that I would like to have). I still think of Zaytinya's version as the best, which based on the amount of Kibbe nayeh I ingest, is not a traditional version, but my personal favorite.

I'm willing to bet a significant sum that nobody else received Kibbeh Nayeh from their son for Christmas....! And thus, with one simple gesture, he wiped away all transgressions committed when he was a teenager.

Where did he get that thing? Even though it's packaged, it looks pretty fresh!

Well, Lady KN did it....she proved she loved me more than any love could ever be proved. Note the 3 lbs. of perfect Kibbeh Nayeh, with fresh accompaniments for crunch and flavor. Note the decanted Ch. Musar 2003, which complements superbly. Note the Hoseh, a topping of olive oil, sauteed onions and toasted pine nuts. And note the bottle of El-Massayah arak, which awaits the final few bites.....

As I write these words, a good two-thirds of this picture has been consumed by Lady KN and me....the occasion is the fifth anniversary of our relationship, and tomorrow I will be gracing her ring finger with a surprise....!

post-3563-0-78907000-1360970565_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I'm so glad you made that post Don, because I was to start a thread on where the best kibbeh nayeh could be found in town.  I used to love the Zaytinya version but the last few times I've had it it's been very bland.  I think the last good version I had was when Mike Isabella was there.

I've never been to Me Jana but now it looks like I need to make a trip.  Thanks!

Bart, that thread already exists right here, and is in a perennial state of needing updates.

I'm so glad you made that post Don, because I was to start a thread on where the best kibbeh nayeh could be found in town.  I used to love the Zaytinya version but the last few times I've had it it's been very bland.  I think the last good version I had was when Mike Isabella was there.

I've never been to Me Jana but now it looks like I need to make a trip.  Thanks!

This brings tears to my eyes....let it be known that this coming Sunday, September 8th, there will be 4 lbs. of kibbeh nayeh on my dining room table, sourced from Mediterranean Gourmet Market.

Bart, that thread already exists right here, and is in a perennial state of needing updates.

There are essentially two categories of kibbeh nayeh in our area -- that which is on the everyday menu (Me Jana, Mount of Lebanon, Lebanese Taverna, Mama Ayesha's...) and that which must be ordered ahead (Layalina, Mediterranean Gourmet Market...).

Thanks Don!  After re-reading it, I do remember some of it like Sir KN himself getting kibbeh nayeh for Christmas.

Christmas, birthday, Father's Day, and several dozen random celebrations whenever the mood strikes...

So do you have an update to the best local version?

Nearly 4 years ago to the day (post #16 above) you proclaimed the Lebanese Butcher had the best kibbeh nayeh in the area.  Is that still the best?

I hesitate to do this, but here is my running tally....

For walk in the door and order off the menu, there is a dead heat between Mount of Lebanon (Muslim) and Lebanese Taverna (Christian) with Me Jana in a virtual tie with Lebanese Taverna.

You can walk in the door at Mount of Lebanon, actually the Lebanese Butcher side of the shop, and order it fresh. They will prepare it for you on the spot, as you watch. And they will serve it with traditional sides, including pickled turnips and olives. It is consistently sensational, and it is accountable for quite a bit of my girth.

But if you want to enjoy it properly, with Arak, then you must enjoy it in a non-Halal setting. Kibbeh Nayeh with Arak is one of the world's great pairings. (Arak is the Middle Eastern equivalent of Ouzo or Sambuca, but with its own special harshness. I include Lebanese Taverna on my list because Dori Abi-Najm understands Arak like few others, and he offers Arak flights at least at the Tysons outpost.) Tied with Lebanese Taverna are those gorgeous hand-formed (almost sushi-like) cigars of Kibbeh Nayeh at Me Jana. Me Jana also carries Chateau Musar, which is France's greatest oenological gift to the Middle East.

If you are ordering ahead, in quantity, then the Mediterranean Gourmet Market in Franconia is my go-to source.

The two culinary terms I have the most problems with spelling are Kibbeh Nayyeh and Szechuan.

Are the above two variants reasonable? They're the ones I have chosen, but I have seen things that barely even resemble them, like Czixuhn.

I can't help you on Szechuan....

But my moniker, Kibbee Nayee, is the colloquial Americanized second generation derivation of the more proper Kibbeh Nayeh (or Nayyeh). Transliterating Arabic is an art. There is actually no "e" in Arabic, but the Western tongue kind of makes that sound when pronouncing the dish. All letters are pronounced -- there are no silent letters -- so the "h" at the end requires a whispery aspiration. This is not a language for the linguistically lazy types. There is also a pause between the two "b" letters in "kibbeh" so that each can be heard.

The dish is culinary perfection, in my humble opinion, and however you spell it or pronounce it, I will devour it.

This is a great thread.  Its created at least one more potential customer for Kibbeh Nayyeh due to your dedication to this dish, KN.   (the thread on Kibbeh Nayyeh in the cooking section is similarly seasoned by your love and devotion to this meal).  Kudo's.

Years ago I lived in a cul de sac in which I was friendly with cooks/natives from various lands around the Mediterranean.  We fairly regularly ate together with dishes that represented Morocco, Lebanon, Turkey, and Spain.  I contributed Italian food (albeit altered via my Northern NJ upbringing--(one friend described it as Rome/West)).   For some reason we never feasted on Kibbeh Nayyeh...and I don't know why as the Lebanese contributor had his mother and sisters there who would often add to his native delights.

Ah well, the past doesn't matter.  Me Jana is around the corner from where I often work...and you have rated it among your top three.  That sounds tremendously encouraging.

• Like 1

Kibbeh Nayeh is both delicious and filling.  To think that KN received 3 lbs earlier this year as a gift of love.   That is a LOT OF LOVING!!

I finally made it to Me Jana specifically for this dish.  This thread, the thread on home cooking and preparing all spiced with KN's devotion spurred me to this meal at Me Jana, a true delight in this region.....and since KN gave Me Jana his approval...where better to go in that it is around the corner from where I normally work.

A delightful dish.  It is comfort food.   And it made me extremely comfortable.  Since it was an off day I ventured alone and ate at the bar where the very pleasant Kasha suggested pairing kibbeh nayeh with their tasty pita bread and garlic whip.   Hmmm.   A wonderful choice and the method of choice, I learned via KN, in Southern Lebanon and among Palestinians.  

Per Kasha's suggestion I paired this with Ksara Reserve from Lebanon.  I thought that was rich and hearty choice, but frankly my red experience for the past 2 decades has been very limited.   Still it was a delight.

Thank you, Kibbee Nayee for your enthusiasm for this dish.  Its a rich meal.  I'll be trying it more often around the region and thoroughly enjoyed it at Me Jana.

• Like 1

Kibbeh Nayeh is both delicious and filling.  To think that KN received 3 lbs earlier this year as a gift of love.   That is a LOT OF LOVING!!

I finally made it to Me Jana specifically for this dish.  This thread, the thread on home cooking and preparing all spiced with KN's devotion spurred me to this meal at Me Jana, a true delight in this region.....and since KN gave Me Jana his approval...where better to go in that it is around the corner from where I normally work.

A delightful dish.  It is comfort food.   And it made me extremely comfortable.  Since it was an off day I ventured alone and ate at the bar where the very pleasant Kasha suggested pairing kibbeh nayeh with their tasty pita bread and garlic whip.   Hmmm.   A wonderful choice and the method of choice, I learned via KN, in Southern Lebanon and among Palestinians.  

Per Kasha's suggestion I paired this with Ksara Reserve from Lebanon.  I thought that was rich and hearty choice, but frankly my red experience for the past 2 decades has been very limited.   Still it was a delight.

Thank you, Kibbee Nayee for your enthusiasm for this dish.  Its a rich meal.  I'll be trying it more often around the region and thoroughly enjoyed it at Me Jana.

As much as I liked my recent version at Me Jana, I had it at Mount of Lebanon a couple nights ago, and it was a step up - the best I've ever had there. The quality of their lamb is just ... stratospheric.

• Like 1

As much as I liked my recent version at Me Jana, I had it at Mount of Lebanon a couple nights ago, and it was a step up - the best I've ever had there. The quality of their lamb is just ... stratospheric.

He'll grind it on the spot for you, as you watch, and you can even regulate the amount of burghol in it. This is absolutely the best of the halal versions....however, if you want Arak or wine with it, you'll have to get it to go.

I'm tempted to make this my new picture. Roberto Donna posted it on Facebook with the following caption:

"Starting my pre birthday in the best way , thank you mom Henriette and Nancy!"

Now, how the heck does a top-notch Italian chef develop a love for my favorite Middle Eastern dish?

Roberto Donna Kibbee Nayee.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simon said:

What is the current lay of the land, KN?

Most places offer it as a special, or on weekends and selected evenings. I have not yet tried the version at Phoenicia, but it's on my target list.

Of the places where it's regularly on the menu, Me Jana and Lebanese Taverna (Tysons) are the best of my recent tastes. I'll admit that I haven't been to Mount of Lebanon in a while, but I have heard that they have re-branded back to Lebanese Butcher Market. I would bet that the quality of Lebanese Butcher's kibbeh nayyeh is very good.

Of those places where it has to be ordered in advance, Mediterranean Gourmet Market in Franconia is my go-to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Most places offer it as a special, or on weekends and selected evenings. I have not yet tried the version at Phoenicia, but it's on my target list.

Of the places where it's regularly on the menu, Me Jana and Lebanese Taverna (Tysons) are the best of my recent tastes. I'll admit that I haven't been to Mount of Lebanon in a while, but I have heard that they have re-branded back to Lebanese Butcher Market. I would bet that the quality of Lebanese Butcher's kibbeh nayyeh is very good.

Of those places where it has to be ordered in advance, Mediterranean Gourmet Market in Franconia is my go-to.

Have you tried it at Bacchus of Lebanon in Bethesda?  Looking for a nearby alternative.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zgast said:

Have you tried it at Bacchus of Lebanon in Bethesda?  Looking for a nearby alternative.

I haven't been to Bacchus in a while, but I note that their online menu includes kibbeh nayyeh as a cold appetizer. That can be a good sign, since they are paying attention to its preparation on a daily basis.

(Although, on the other hand, Mama Ayesha's downtown has kibbeh nayyeh on the daily menu, and it sometimes comes out looking a bit tired, as if made yesterday and served today.)

• Like 1

On 9/5/2013 at 10:09 PM, DonRocks said:

The two culinary terms I have the most problems with spelling are Kibbeh Nayyeh and Szechuan.

Sorry for the random aside in the kibbeh nayyeh thread, but I had to weigh in about Szechuan. I have no idea where that spelling came from, though I see it frequently. There's an official romanization system for Mandarin Chinese in mainland China called pinyin. The name of the province 四川, which means four rivers, would be written as "Sichuan" using pinyin. I'm guessing that someone somewhere along the line decided that this very exotic locale needed an exotic, complicated name, thus "Szechuan," but it doesn't need to be that complicated.

And after reading this thread for the first time I'm intrigued to try kibbeh nayyeh!

• Like 1