Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Chris, Glover Park resident for nearly 3 years. Kansas native via 7 years in NYC and Chowhound refugee looking for a more focused food forum. Georgetown university hospital employee.

Quick-hit Glover Park thoughts: Surprisingly few good dining options.

Heritage India: OK food, poor atmosphere.

Kitchen: New, more bar than restaurant, disappointing "hockey puck" sliders.

Sushi-Ko: Good, best experiences have been ordering many, non-sushi starter plates.

Bourbon: good drinks, food less so.

Whole Foods: often a default option, ranging from adequate to disappointing.

Bistro Lepic: It's been a while, but I've had good experiences here.

Kavanagh's: preferable to fasting.

Cactus Cantina: Kid-friendly.

2 Amys: excellent pizza, long waits, pizza travels poorly but the calzones are fantastic takeout.

My other take-out option is Amma Vegetarian Kitchen, with excellent potato dosa.

Enology: haven't been-is it good?

Georgetown university food:

Cosi has arrived! At last, we have the potential of an edible sandwich for lunch. And for university employees, the cafeteria at the French Embassy, memberships available, where dining options include steak grilled to your specification, rabbit, veal cheek, braised fennel, and good pastries.

Hi there, I'm Katie. I've lived in the DC area for most of my life -- in DC and now just outside in Montgomery County. I started a cooking blog (Hungry Yet) a few years ago. Baking is my favorite field, but I'm all over the place in terms of what I cook and eat. My cookbooks are all over the place too, both literally and in terms of content. :rolleyes:

I am a new member. My wife and I have lived in the Logan Circle area for the last three years and in McLean for the previous 13 years. We are serious foodies and enophiles. I am an accomplished amateur home cook. We love being able to walk to restaurants in our hood and beyond. Particularly in the warm weather, we frequently walk as far as Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, and the U Street corridor. We are particularly excited about all the new restaurant activities around Logan Circle. We keep a running wine collection of about 200 bottles at any one time. We own a 20-acre vineyard in Lake County, CA, which is about an hour northwest over Cobb Mountain from Calistoga in Napa. We grow Riesling and Pinot Gris and sell the grapes. Prager Portworks out of St. Helena makes a single-vineyard Late Harvest Riesling, 2006 Sweet Claire, exclusively from our grapes. Our grapes are in the yet-to-be released 2007, and they will be making another single-vineyard Sweet Claire for the 2008 from our grapes. The vineyard and my wife's work enable us to travel to some wonderful destinations for business and pleasure. We try to get out to CA at least 3 or 4 times a year and in the past few years have traveled to South Africa, Chile, Paris, Tuscany, Istanbul, Thailand, and Cambodia. We are planning our first trip to Provence in September.

I have frequently made postings on the usual suspects, Zagat, Washington Post, and Washingtonian, and am looking forward to participating in the don rockwell experience.

Cheers,

Robert Mandel

Hi, I'm A, originally from Northern Virginia, but I've been in Austin, TX since 2004. I still read washingtonpost.com religiously, which is where I came across the article referencing this site. I love to eat good food and thought it would be fun to hear what the posters here have to say about DC area restaurants. I'm hoping I can get some good ideas for places to go when I visit (which is frequently).

Thanks!

Hello, I am Alec and I live in Northern VA, out west in Winchester. I originally came across this site while searching for Virginia whiskeys and I do some home brewing myself. I also enjoy going out to eat and some of my favorite places are Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg and hunter's Head in Upperville. I really enjoy grilling and smoking meats, although still learning. My favorite meals consist of heavy meats and breads but like just about anything.

After being diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago it has put a hamper on my dining favorites but has opened up a different palate of foods. So pros and cons I guess :rolleyes: I still enjoy vanilla ice cream on occasion.

Good Afternoon,

Newbie, me, read the article in this week's Post and was very impressed. We are located in Shennodoah Valley, in a very small, one stoplight town called Middletown - GREAT stuff to see and do up there, including Anita's Wonderful Store, Wayside Theatre and my brother's place, The Civil Cricket that is slowly gaining ground as a great little place to visit.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to interact with others who love good eating establishments in all ranges.

I'm Amy and joined because I have been in an unsuccessful hunt for decent sushi and Mexican in southern Fairfax County. Live in Springfield and have a two year old, so venturing far distances to enjoy such things is not feasible as my husband and I prefer to bring the tot along as she is a lot of fun to be with and behaves very well at restaurants.

Hello!

I'm excited to finally join this online community. I'm a 20 year resident of Washington DC, a restaurant consultant by trade and an avid food and wine enthusiast by practice. I look forward to sharing information and musings with all of you!

Warmest Regards,

I'm a stay-at-home mom who loves to cook and loves to eat. My husband says I'm a food snob (this from a man who will often say, as he's mixing his food together on his plate, "it's all going to the same place, right?").

Yes, but to me, it's so important how it looks, smells, tastes, feels before it gets there!

Food snob or no, I am always on the lookout for a new place to eat, which is why I'm joining this site.

Thanks for letting me join!

FS

Good Morning All - I just joined the site and am looking forward to being an active member. Although I live in Leesburg, I travel into DC and around the Metro area in search of a great meal and look forward to reading about your experiences.

Jane, there is much to be said for the "tavern" of Tuscarora Mill. My wife and I drive OUT from Reston once a month or so to have dinner there.

Hello there,

My name is Amberleigh and I have been lurkring around the blog for about a year now - only through my husband Demetrius. He finally get tired of telling me about what was going on and suggested I join myself. So about myself - I am currently a first grade teacher in Alexandria, when I am not teaching I run around chasing our two young girls and my husband (ok we chase each other if we are not run down by the girls). I enjoy doing all sorts of things, cooking is only one of those things. Currently I have been delving in some cake decorating, and canning different seasonal fruit. Demetrius and I like to expose the girls to as much fresh from the farm produce as possible and I know that many of the places we have visited have come from places he has seen mentioned here. We also love to visit different vineyards in the state. Anyway, before I get too verbose I will say goodnight for now. See you all online.

Hello All!

I'm Mike Bowers and am new to the board having read about it in last Sunday's Post. I'm looking forward to expanding my restaurant knowledge beyond Chowhound and the Washingtonian dining site.

I enjoy most cuisines and foods except sushi; that's probably a vestige of my southern upbringing and the result of marrying into a family of avid fishermen. My son, however, has overcome his dad's prejudices. I've also been known to enjoy a martini or two (Bluecoat if available), so I'm on the lookout for recommendations here.

Recently visited restaurants are Inox (for lunch where I very much enjoyed the Truffle Patty Melt and Frites), A La Lucia in Alexandria (where almost all the veal dishes are excellent), and Indochine in NYC (where in spite of various snarky comments about dated '80s glam, you can construct a hugely satisfactory meal from the appetizer menu).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi, I am am Alison Christ the Sommelier at Willow Restaurant in Arlington. I am introducing myself and hope to make some useful contributions to this blog.

Alison--just a quick reply to tell you (and anyone else reading this) that I've very much enjoyed Willow over the past couple of years whether it's sitting at the bar downing a couple of martinis and scarfing down a flatbread (with help of course) or enjoying great service in your dining room.

Hello All...

My name is John Dober, I am the Executive Chef of Monterey Bay Fish Grotto in Tysons Corner. Although I do work (and LIVE) the food biz.. I still try to be a "foodie" in my spare time. I have heard that this is THE site for people "in the know". So I look very forward to participating.

Little background on myself...

My wife and I moved here last year when the restaurant opened. I am born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. I have been with Monterey Bay for the last 5 years. We have 2 baby boxer puppies that we love like our children. Overall we have enjoyed the moved down here.. new and exciting city and all.. really a sum-up of where I am right now lol.

I have been working on Kindai Bluefin Tuna for the last 6 months, and have to say that it has been a great success for me personally as well as what I hope for the d.c. dining public. lol can't wait to see what's next on the agenda.. anyway it is very late and just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as I did join this afternoon..

Look forward to talking to some great people..

John,

Welcome to DC. I enjoyed a business meal at your place last month and very much enjoyed the swordfish, cocktails, service, and beautiful dining room. This Friday I plan on starting the weekend early at your bar with a couple of cocktails and an appetizer.

I wish your establishment much success!

Mike

Hello DonRockwellians-

My name is Logan Cox...

long time reader of the site but have posted just a few times...

Figure it was time to come out of the anonymity.

I am the executive chef of New Heights restaurant in Woodley Park, DC.

This is the first site I read when I get home from work every night...

can't get enough, one of the best food sites around.

Thanks Don and all righteous posters out there!

Jane, there is much to be said for the "tavern" of Tuscarora Mill. My wife and I drive OUT from Reston once a month or so to have dinner there.

Joe - I am a Lightfoot fan...especially love the outdoor patio in the spring and summer, the specials are my favorite, always fresh and inventive

Holy spumoni!

So many new posters!!

I wonder if Google searches for "Ray's Hell Burgers" are what brought people here...

I remember back in March of 2005 when Michael closed RTS down briefly, that's how I found DonRockwell.com...

Hello DonRockwellians-

My name is Logan Cox...

long time reader of the site but have posted just a few times...

Figure it was time to come out of the anonymity.

I am the executive chef of New Heights restaurant in Woodley Park, DC.

This is the first site I read when I get home from work every night...

can't get enough, one of the best food sites around.

Thanks Don and all righteous posters out there!

Hi Logan,

This site is quite special and unique, isn't it? I've been a loyal patron of New Heights for as long as I've lived in DC, and there is such a fine legacy of chefs there... Allison Swope, David Hagedorn, John Wabeck. Umbi does a great job of recognizing talent! I saw him recently having a late night, at the bar dinner at a newly opened hot spot in DC. Please send him my hello, and I look forward to dining at New Heights again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Hi All,

I'm new to the blog world, been spending too much time making wine in Virginia. Barrels don't have computers, yet.

I have heard some good things about this site, and looking forward to reading about your thoughts on making the Virginia wine industry better.

Alright, left myself open to enough one-liners to fill a book, but will continue to fight for this cause. 30 years ago, New Zealand and California were in the same place.

Give me your best shot.

Chris,

I visited your winery on one of our annual VA wild wine tour limo bus parties a couple of years ago. We had an absolute blast, and I purchased as much of that yummy Chard as I could carry and then hoarded it and served it only to people that I truly like. Your winery was certainly the highlight of our trip. Bravo! I'll make sure that you top the list for this fall's trip.

Warmest Regards,

Read about Don Rockwell in the Post last week and thought, since I am not going out to eat as much these days, reading about food would have to suffice. I've been interested in good food for a long time, nurtured by some trips to Europe and Japan. Watching American cooking blossom since the dark days of 30-40 years ago has been a pleasure. I do some cooking but seem to be relying on carry-in more and more.

Hi,

I'm John and I grew up around DC. I'm now in Oakton, VA and am enjoying both local food and a good bit of international. Today I go to northern Sweden for work, and I'll be sure to pickup some Västerbottensost (famous local cheese made in Burtrask, Sweden).

I'm a multihull sailor on the bay. The last thing I cooked was homemade dog food (really). I'm an engineer, married, 2 kids.

Thanks for the web site Don!

/John

After haunting chowhound.com for ages, I finally decided to visit here. I'm partial to good food/no atmosphere restaurants. I love the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

I'm a lifelong Washingtonian (suburbanite), having mostly lived in Silver Spring. Vietnamese is my favorite cuisine, Indian my least favorite. I love the original Ledo's and don't hate the off-shoots. I still miss Tops Drive-ins, the Reindeer and Polar Bear frozen custard stands, and the Original Gifford's stores.

I look forward to learning about new eateries on donrockwell.com.

I love thoughtful pairings of food and wine where you discover something new about each and the whole is tastier than the sum of the parts. But try finding that synchronicity at a DC restaurant...it's rare. Cork and the Inn at Little Washington have been the most successful at it so far, but there are plenty of possibilites to explore.

Lately I've been focusing on sparkling wine which is an easy accompaniment to most meals but is a challenging enhancer of them. Kudos to Diane Gross at Cork for her encyclopedic passion for Champagne and her ability to marry it to Ron Tanaka's food.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a part owner of Cork or maybe I should say, a lucky part owner of Cork. I know nothing about restaurant management and only invested on a belief that Diane and Khalid knew what they were doing. And did they ever. So while I'm biased, there is plenty of independent confirmation that the bias is well founded.

I know Don through tennis, not food or wine. He roundly beats me in singles, but I suspect I'd give him fits in doubles. Once I discovered he was "the" Don Rockwell we got into discussions on wine, then food. He knows his stuff.

This will be great fun!

I'm a foodie-wanna-be... and where I am in life is that food is either fuel or something to be experienced...I've eaten my share of fuel, and now I'd like to eat an experience. Can't wait to find out about places to go, especially the "way-off-the-beaten-path" joints

(reposting here because I accidentally started a new topic)

-----------------------------

Hello Fellow Food Lovers,

I'm relatively new to town, and a casual cook and happy eater. I'm from California and have lived in South America and Hawaii-- I'm partial to all foods Asian, and all things ethnic. I'm adventurous.

Love the middle eastern food in DC, the empanadas you find a lot more than in California, and am excited to explore more. I love the little mysterious cheap finds-- like that Korean truck downtown, trying all the salvadoran food at the corner of Euclid & Columbia in Adams Morgan-- to the ingredient-centered fresh food that's getting more popular. Happy to join a group of like-minded people.

Eli

Hi everyone - I am a DC transplant originally from the Midwest. I have been living in DC for about 4 years now. I became a foodie after having gone to a very small school in a very small town about 3 hours southwest of here. Upon arriving in DC I was so excited at the prospect of the amount and variation of restaurants that I commenced eating and haven't stopped since! I don't blog or write anywhere about food, and I'm not connected to a restaurant in any way (aside from some strong loyalties I have to some places); I just really like good food!

Thanks for such a great site Don!

I just moved to the Rosslyn area from San Diego and am looking forward to seeing what is good out here. I will say that I was hungry for a burger last week and went to a place that was across the street from my tailor's- turns out it was Ray Hell Burger, and as I quickly found out the President recently upped its profile and there was quite a line! Still, the food was good and service was quick considering the deluge of customers- still not too sure what to think about the deep fried mashed potatoes!

Hi everyone - I am a DC transplant originally from the Midwest. I have been living in DC for about 4 years now. I became a foodie after having gone to a very small school in a very small town about 3 hours southwest of here. Upon arriving in DC I was so excited at the prospect of the amount and variation of restaurants that I commenced eating and haven't stopped since! I don't blog or write anywhere about food, and I'm not connected to a restaurant in any way (aside from some strong loyalties I have to some places); I just really like good food!
Sweet Briar? RMWC? Hampden-Sydney?

Hi everyone!

A great way to dive into this board is to join everyone at the DR.com picnics. The next one is Sunday, June 7 -- see the thread for more details. You're invited to bring something to share, but there is always a ton of food, so it's totally not a requirement!

Hi...my name is Rich and my wife and I enjoy a broad range of dining experiences. She's the gourmet, I'm the gourmand...a combination that works nicely. She attended several cooking schools, principally French and Italian cuisine, met Julia Child and Simone Beck, taught a few classes herself. Me? I get to enjoy the results.

We like to try a variety of cuisines at multiple venues, then compare our impressions with those of others. These postings should provide some interesting comparisons..

Hello! My name is Shelly & I just joined this site. I hate to cook, but I love to eat out. My husband & I enjoy dining throughout the DC/MoCo area & I'm looking forward to reading everyone's take on the places we've been as well as discovering new places to dine. Thanks for having me!

Hi everyone!

I got a note from Don telling me that I should introduce myself. I'm Wayne Rash, and I'm a journalist based in the DC area. I mostly write for technology publications. I live in the suburbs of Clifton, Virginia, a town of fewer than 200 people. it's notable on the food landscape as the home of a restaurant called "Heart in Hand," which was the mystery location for lunches between Nancy Reagan and George Will. our once-famous restaurant, the Hermitage Inn (an Inn at Little Washington wanna-be) is closed, and is being replaced by something called Trummers on Main. According to their Web site, it's a New American fine dining place featuring local ingredients and an extensive wine cellar. Right now it's a construction site.

I'm not a food professional, however I have worked in the food industry in the past. I was the head cook (it would be a mistake to call me a chef) at several restaurants in central Virginia when I was in college or just out of college. The most recent of those places is now a weed-choked field containing the remains of a parking lot. This is clearly a better use for the location than the restaurant was.

My more significant food related experience was as a Supply Corps officer in the US Navy. I was the food service officer on a ship, and later was responsible for food service operations on a squadron staff. During my time I learned a lot about stuff that's really important, including how to buy the right ingredients, how to ensure food safety and sanitation, and how to make meals that taste good, are nutritions, and meet the requirements of hundreds or people, all of whom eat at the same time. I also learned to cook some really good stuff, and my mess decks won a few awards.

During this time, I spent a great deal of time overseas, learned to appreciate food throughout the Mediterranian and how to find and procure everything from fresh strawberries to canned soda. Since then my life as a journalist has taken me all over the world, from Western and Central Europe to Russia and China. I've eaten lumpia in the jungles of the Philippines and "Meat soup" at a dining hall in Russia's Star City. And, of course, I've been to a few Michelin rated eateries in Europe. I've eaten in a number of food-related places in the US, of course, and count a few restaurant owners in San Francisco, New York and Washington among my friends and acquaintences.

I'm also a pretty good cook, and was once asked to teach at a culinary academy, but fortunately for the food world, I avoided that. However, I do some very good barbecue and I do it right. I firmly believe that anyone who boils ribs should be tarred and feathered.

It's great to meet all of you.

Thanks, Don, for letting me in.

Wayne Rash

Hi,

I'm Catherine and I'm making my first post. I've been lurking on this blog for some months now, enjoying all the restaurant talk and getting hungry (again) thinking of all the good eateries I've yet to visit.

I'm a journalist by trade, but my happiest times have to do with food and loved ones, and I nurture a little dream of running a bakery/cafe one day.

Looking forward to lots more postings about fabulous food!

--c

Hello,

Long time lurker and thought it was time to add my voice to this forum. Live in Arlington with the wife, no human kids. Love all things food, hunting out the best and trying the worst to form my own opinions. Not in the food industry, but I know a lot of people in the business and often I am confused as someone more important that I am, which has its benefits. I have been consulted by food writers, and owners, every now and again for advice, but by means consider my self an expert on anything. I like to provide honest feedback and look forward to participating.

Hi,

I've lurked on Don Rockwell for years, but intend to put this place to better use in the future. I'm not much of a cook, don't work in the industry, but I love good food and love to know where to get it.

I enjoyed some lovely rainbow trout at Primi Piatti for lunch yesterday. An underrated establishment, I think.

good sunday to all,

i've lurked long enough that i decided to be one with the DR blog!

my name is annette and i've worked here and there in the WDC area kitchens and still love to eat out, cook for friends/family and read about the business of kitchens. i know, it's my only vice. wait. that AND pork bellies in korean BBQ joints. will read more than opine but will definitely check in!

cheers and go out and eat,

schefao

Hello,

I joined recently and noticed while rereading Don's introductory email today that this was the thread to introduce myself. I actually posted a question in the Help Needed question already and am very happy with the help that I did receive.

Been living in the DC area for 19 years. Never thought I would be interested in reading about restaurants but a visit from my dear aunt from Korea spurred the need to find out more. She is 70 years old and has had two heart surgeries already, so we're thinking this is her first and last visit to the DC area. She is a lovely woman and she has refined taste in all things (good enough that she'd eat anything I serve her and tell me everything is wonderful). Hence, I wanted to find some places that are a step or two above the normal fares that I've been stuck on. Well, once I started reading in this website, my eyes have been opened! The one thing that stopped me from seeking out better restaurants in the past was the cost. Well, from what I've learned in reading the many posts here and researching thereafter, the price differential is not all that much from an expensive dinner out at some of the high-end chain restaurants that my wife and I sometimes treat ourselves to. That's going to change now. Thank you for opening my eyes to the possibilities.

I've been lurking here for awhile and thought it was time to join. I'm in the music business, living and working in Takoma Park. I don't have the means to eat out as much as I'd like, but I enjoy reading the posts about all the places in the area and have gotten helpful information from this board. I've been trying to cook more and the "dinner" thread is a great inspiration.