Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hi folk! You can call me Tomcat. I'm an Arlington resident that was in the industry for a little over a decade (mostly in Boston), and have several friends in the industry here. Despite being out of the industry I find myself drawn to the chatter. So I'm here to learn, discover, and opine. 

• Like 2

I just realized I never properly introduced myself!

Hi! I'm David. My wife Jennifer & I moved to the area from our native Cleveland after she graduated Residency in 2014. I am currently making a career pivot (studying toward Cisco CCNA certification). Jennifer is a Foot & Ankle Surgeon in the area, as well as a Team Physician for the Washington Mystics.

We live in Downtown Silver Spring, and we enjoy eating out as much as our schedule and finances allow. I also enjoy cooking at home; I recently acquired an Anova Immersion Circulator, and I've been having a lot of fun learning to cook Sous Vide (even more limited by a small apartment kitchen!) Our favorite restaurants that we frequent quite a bit are Masa 14 in Logan Circle and La Fromagerie in Old Town Alexandria. Our friends Ryan and Sebastien are doing great work at their respective restaurants; Ryan recently rolled out a new Chef's Tasting Menu at Masa that we enjoyed recently. He's a fellow Cleveland native that we were introduced to when he was Executive Chef at Todd English's bluezoo at Disney World.

Anyway, glad to be here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mare22204 said:

hello, I'm Mary - I don't work in the restaurant business but I've heard this is the best place to get updated dining guides.  Looking forward to reading lots.

Welcome, Mary, David, Tomcat, and Daniel. I hope you enjoy the Dining Guide (Tomcat, it's only a few posts away for you).

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I co-own and manage Flight Wine Bar in Chinatown with my husband.  I grew up in the D.C. metro area but lived in NYC for 8 years.  We are excited about the food and beverage movement in DC, and moved back to open the wine bar. I am excited to be part of the forum and look forward to meeting you all!

• Like 2

On 6/14/2016 at 6:28 PM, Swati Bose said:

Hello everyone! I co-own and manage Flight Wine Bar in Chinatown with my husband.  I grew up in the D.C. metro area but lived in NYC for 8 years.  We are excited about the food and beverage movement in DC, and moved back to open the wine bar. I am excited to be part of the forum and look forward to meeting you all!

Welcome! We'll try and stop in at some point.

On June 14, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Swati Bose said:

Welcome! We really enjoyed Flight when we visited. We haven't been in a while, but we were very impressed with your wine selection! 

We'll have to stop in soon after a Mystics game. 

Just now, ElGuapo said:

Welcome! We really enjoyed Flight when we visited. We haven't been in a while, but we were very impressed with your wine selection! 

We'll have to stop in soon after a Mystics game. 

Thank you for the kind comment!  Please do come by.  New menus were launched this year.

Hello!

I'm Mo (at least that is what everyone but my mother calls me). Moved to DC around 6-8 months ago from nearby Richmond. Trying to find some new friends to eat good food with.  I am obsessed with making cocktails and probably spend too much money on rare liquor and food combinations.

I planned on joining this sooner, but work has gotten in the way...

Excited to get to interact with everyone and share some good eats with some fantastic people!

1 hour ago, taconapsack said:

Hello!

I'm Mo (at least that is what everyone but my mother calls me). Moved to DC around 6-8 months ago from nearby Richmond. Trying to find some new friends to eat good food with.  I am obsessed with making cocktails and probably spend too much money on rare liquor and food combinations.

Excited to get to interact with everyone and share some good eats with some fantastic people!

I can just hear it ... <foot tapping, arms crossed> ... "MAURICE! Get *in here*, NOW!" :lol:

If you've figured out a way to spend too much money on rare liquor and food combinations, let us know what it is.

"I've spent half of my money on liquor and women; and the other half, I've wasted."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taconapsack said:

Hello!

OK you are going to have to share a few things - your sources for hard to find stuff, and also you favorite cocktail recipes. PLEASE!

Hello, there! I'm really excited to join this community. I love to eat, cook, read about food, and talk about food, too. I've lived in DC for about 2 years, and before that, lived in Oakland, Chicago, and the Boston suburbs. Everywhere I've lived, there's been plenty of tasty treats, but I'm looking forward to learning more about what's out there. 

Cheers,

Emily

1 hour ago, emsg said:

Hello, there! I'm really excited to join this community. I love to eat, cook, read about food, and talk about food, too. I've lived in DC for about 2 years, and before that, lived in Oakland, Chicago, and the Boston suburbs. Everywhere I've lived, there's been plenty of tasty treats, but I'm looking forward to learning more about what's out there. 

Cheers,

Emily

Welcome, Emily! We all look forward to getting to know you.

Cheers,
Rocks

Hello, my name is Laura and I am still relatively new (just about 1 year) to the DC area. I enjoy reading about restaurants in the area so I can choose which ones to visit myself. I also enjoy writing reviews on the places I visit. While I am not working in the food industry, I do have extensive experience serving at various restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. I am going to become a full-time student in August 2016 when I go back to school to earn my Masters in Social Work. I enjoy all food, beer, and cocktails and am happy to be a part of this community!

3 hours ago, Laura H. said:

Hello, my name is Laura and I am still relatively new (just about 1 year) to the DC area. I enjoy reading about restaurants in the area so I can choose which ones to visit myself. I also enjoy writing reviews on the places I visit. While I am not working in the food industry, I do have extensive experience serving at various restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. I am going to become a full-time student in August 2016 when I go back to school to earn my Masters in Social Work. I enjoy all food, beer, and cocktails and am happy to be a part of this community!

You could have just written and asked! ^_^

(But I'll take content like this little flurry any day of the week - welcome, Laura.) :) 

Screenshot 2016-07-14 at 12.54.37.png

I want to take this opportunity to again thank Pat (Member # NYC-Area-Code), without whom none of this would be possible. Everyone, please send her a PM and thank her.

greetings and salutations all. I'm new to DC (feb 2k16) by way of NYC. I'm a lawyer like everyone else here, I'm 29, married, and have no kids. we live in logan circle. in our spare time, we try to eat the best food and drink the best beer, wine, and cocktails we can. we've been pleasantly surprised by DC's burgeoning food and beverage scene. we were warned by friends and colleagues (who probably last visited DC ten years ago) that it was overpriced mediocre expense account garbage as far as the eye can see.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!  I grew up outside of Manassas, and have spent time in Ohio, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  I have recently moved back to Virginia (Harrisonburg area) and enjoy bouncing around the area as time and resources permit.  I grew up in my grandparents burger and ice cream shop, and love to explore food.  I am not "in the business" but am a fan of the business.  My greatest recent food experience has been finally joining a CSA (been thinking about it for years).  And my greatest discovery through the CSA boxes has been garlic scapes.  I'm tempted to grow garlic just for them!

Hello everyone! I'm Jen, and I've lived in the DC metro region for over a quarter century, mostly in Bethesda/CC. Having grown up in semi-rural PA  suburbs, Bethesda is a foodie paradise. I have worked at a number of restaurants and bars both front and back of the house, but sadly, working in the industry dampened my enthusiasm for dining out for years after. I still tend to prefer take-out as there's virtually no drama involved. Fortunately, I never lost my love of cooking good food. My spouse was a cook for almost 20 years and all he is willing to make now is coffee and occasionally BBQ. I grow some of my own food, even kept the French tarragon alive over the past winter, and I have several young fruit trees just bearing their first crops - fig and medlar. I enjoy shopping at local farm markets - it's lovely to meet the people who grow, raise, and prepare our food. I've looked into CSA plans but they don't seem to be especially convenient and I prefer to choose what and how much I buy. Trader Joe's is my favorite supermarket, although their fresh produce is not the best, and I'm psyched for the Harris Teeter opening next month.

In addition to cooking, reading about food, and of course, eating, my interests include reading and watching science fiction, studying articles from reputable science journals and sites, anime,  gardening, cycling, walking our three cats, crochet and other needle arts, drawing and etching, ceramics and polymer clay sculpting, and dollhouses and miniatures.

• Like 1

Hey there, or Howdy, as I'm a Texan now.

I am wife to Josh (you may have seen him around these parts), and we are newly relocated to Houston. Excited to be exploring this city which is new to me in a lot of ways, despite having grown up here. A 19 year absence will do that...

My parents had lived in many places before coming to Texas, and instilled in me an appreciation for fine food outside the steak and potatoes of Houston in the 1980's. That being said, it really was in New York after my college years that I came to own that food appreciation and learn to truly explore. 9 years in NYC and 6 years in DC seeking the best of the tasting menus and the hole-in-the-walls, combined with wonderful food-centric trips to Japan, London, and Spain over the years. Look for dispatches from Houston as I take on this awesomely diverse food mecca!

• Like 3

On 11/11/2015 at 7:28 PM, caboosesw said:

Hello all ... I'm Barry ... frequent overeater ... lover of foods beyond bologna up to fine dining and everything in between.  In addition to eating ... I'd love to meet folks who are researching starting something on their own ... particularly those that want to get down to the economics of how to build a successful single unit (likely breakfast/lunch sandwich type joint with maybe a fri/sat fine dining vibe for me)

Anyway, long time stalker ... first time registerererer

Barry

You should check out the Easport Kitchen for your research.  Small joint as you describe with great food and vibe.  

Mark

4 hours ago, Donna said:

:rolleyes:  Hi Fellow Food Lovers,  I finally joined and activated an account.  Can't wait to read this blog regularly,  I love food and wine, home cooking and going out to restos with others who share my passion. 

Is this DONNA Donna?

If so, you already know my sense of humor; if not, you'll soon learn ...

Een Awlde Irish Balade (which was followed by one of the funniest responses in the history of this website).

I forgot to make my first post here. I'm Justin, and I moved to DC with my wife from NYC this year. My name on the forum comes from the inventive and revolutionary condiment made by the fast food division of Madrigal Electromotive GmbH, a combination of French and ranch dressing.

We are food, wine, beer, and cocktail enthusiasts, avowed Shaw Bijou cheerleaders, college football and soccer fans, and have a fluffy dog named Zooey Dogschanel.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm Keely and I'm here because of Adam-12. (That's a TV show, not a restaurant. Not that I know of anyway.) Anyway Don wrote a post about Adam-12, 

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/48754-adam-12-1968-1975-police-drama-following-two-officers-on-duty-in-los-angeles/

I write a blog about Adam-12,

http://lincolnxrayida.blogspot.com/2016/09/ambush-season-4-episode-8.html

Don asked if he could link to my blog in his post. I said "OK" and here I am. Other than Adam-12, I like food and fashion. I look forward to getting to know the community here.

• Like 1

Hi All, 

My name is Kathy, and I am employed in the food industry. That's the best description at the moment. The long story is that I have four years of experience as a pastry cook, 1 of them in Washington DC, the rest in Pittsburgh. Ironically, when I left Pittsburgh was when it was named best new food city, and then I landed here in DC and the same thing happened..

I'm currently pausing from the kitchen while I figure out how to focus in chocolate work. Currently I have a few freelance projects doing food recipe costing and other paperwork that new and small food businesses dislike doing or have neglected doing? Culinary operations administration? Basically, because I can speak chef and I can speak office, I've been able to find a groove. On top of that, I am helping a local chef do research for a cookbook. 

Eating out is the only time I see my industry friends, so I enjoy doing that as well. Looking forward to reading advice about dining here, as I still search for near authentic experiences that mirror my culinary heaven of the Bay Area. 

(The handle Krex comes from my whites; we had short sleeve coats, which were still too long on me short dinosaur arms....:-)

http://fernwehandfood.blogspot.com/

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

I'm Jennifer, and I live in Silver Spring. My husband ElGuapo and myself relocated to the area 2 years ago from our native Cleveland. I am a Podiatrist, with offices in Silver Spring and Washington DC. We've been having a wonderful time getting to know the food landscape in the area. Lately we've had fantastic meals at Jaleo and Zaytinya, but I can also be found at RFD when I want Cleveland-esque comfort food.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Jennifer

• Like 3

On 11/3/2005 at 1:08 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

smile.gif First Post ever....

Hello to all. A brief introduction- I'm Kathryn Hull- recent addition to the staff at Corduroy. I am interested in learning more about this city through other people that work at other restaurants. A " dining tour guide " of sorts, I am in search for- the more the merrier. Anyone interested in filling this position or at least giving me some direction is well appreciated. It seems that HH at FF is the place to go to get started- but any other suggestions I would love as well.

On 7/12/2006 at 0:40 AM, Nadya said:

Oh good grief, another thread to respond to and forget as always.

My name is Nadya, I drifted here from egullet.org that encouraged my till-then dormant interest in eating and blabbing. I am famous for my ability to work the word "bottom" into every sentence and the knowledge of many adjectives.

From 9 to 5, I'm a nonprofit health communicator who gets paid to make using condoms sound like fun. At night, I'm either fronting the door at Bis or walking into the door some place else. I write a column for dcist which some people say is masturbatory. Well, the real truth had to come out eventually, you know. Typing with one hand ain't easy.

Also, I grew up in a very tough place with actual breadlines where at times food was so scarce that we had no bread and had to eat our caviar straight out of the jar.

Oh Nadya!!!! Where have you been!!!

Miss this mischievous cherub...

Please find your way back!!

Kat

5 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Oh Nadya!!!! Where have you been!!!

Miss this mischievous cherub...

Please find your way back!!

Kat

Kat! What are you doing these days?

Nadya just posted in the Halal topic, her first post in THREE YEARS.

Nice to see some of the "original crew" back in the fold!

On 12/2/2016 at 11:41 AM, DanielK said:

Kat! What are you doing these days?

Nadya just posted in the Halal topic, her first post in THREE YEARS.

Nice to see some of the "original crew" back in the fold!

Hi Daniel!! 

I am eating my way through Central Pa!! 

I will be in town on NYE to celebrate one's retirement!! Please join me! 

Hello,

My name is Rextopher. I'm a Maryland native who moved to D.C. four years ago. I've been lurking for a while and figured I would finally reveal myself to the world. My favorite restaurant in the area is Temari and my favorite dish there is the curry rice. In fact, I would say that curry rice is my favorite dish overall. I'm very excited to become a member of the community.

Rextopher

1 hour ago, Rextopher said:

Hello,

My name is Rextopher. I'm a Maryland native who moved to D.C. four years ago. I've been lurking for a while and figured I would finally reveal myself to the world. My favorite restaurant in the area is Temari and my favorite dish there is the curry rice. In fact, I would say that curry rice is my favorite dish overall. I'm very excited to become a member of the community.

Rextopher

Yay!!! Welcome Rextopher!! 

This communty is a great place to be, & beacon for all things DC. You'll find the forum very helpful. I no longer reside in the District, but started this thread as a means to meet others that loved food as much as I do. I hope this cite proves to be valuable to you as it has to me. 

Welcome!!!

kat

14 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Hi Daniel!! 

I am eating my way through Central Pa!! 

I will be in town on NYE to celebrate one's retirement!! Please join me! 

Oh, that would be fun, but I am traveling with my family that week, and we get back in town late enough on NYE that we will likely fall asleep well before the ball drops!

11 minutes ago, okiestrat said:

Realized I never did this. David in Luray. I like to cook, eat, brew, and imbibe. 

I make my own sausages, cure my own meats and am an accomplished home pit master. 

Welcome, David. *Very* happy to have a new member in Page County - we need input from there, and you might be just the one to do it.

If you sell your charcuterie (wholesale or resale), please start a thread about it in Shopping and Cooking (say I encouraged you if you feel sheepish about it) - I always like to support our members, and I'll be happy to tweet about you.

Just now, okiestrat said:

And clearly I'm not fully awake.  I meant to type Del Ray, not Luray.  Would be in Page County if teleportation existed.  

So far keep my creations for myself and gifts for friends, but will take advantage if I ever expand.  Thanks!

Ah, well, welcome anyway - Del Ray is changing, and it's always good to have more strength from that neighborhood. 

Yes, please keep the Shopping and Cooking forum in your back pocket, and make sure to ping me if you ever post so I make sure and see it.

Cheers!
Rocks

Hello there! I'm Deb. I love to cook and eat. One of my favorite things to do is to try to recreate (at home) meals that I've had at a restaurant. I like spicy food, but I'm not into competing over who can eat the hottest pepper. I have limits, people. I particularly love Latin-American foods, authentic Chinese (Szechuan!) food, and comfort food (I'm from the Midwest). I adore Southern U.S. foods. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community - my +1 has been here for years, and I thought it was time to make my own account. 

• Like 4

Hello, my name is Brian, and live in the Springfield/Burke area.  Love to cook, don't eat out as much as I'd like to, but enjoy trying new things.  Long time lurker who fell off the wagon, but am back and figured it was time to join, as this place sure beats following politics.  I love wine, go to Maine for vacation every summer, can spend hours reading cookbooks for fun, and spend most of my free time helping my wife raise our teenagers, one of whom has left for school.  Hence the free time to post!  I'm looking forward to the discussions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brian R said:

Hello, my name is Brian, and live in the Springfield/Burke area.  Love to cook, don't eat out as much as I'd like to, but enjoy trying new things.  Long time lurker who fell off the wagon, but am back and figured it was time to join, as this place sure beats following politics.  I love wine, go to Maine for vacation every summer, can spend hours reading cookbooks for fun, and spend most of my free time helping my wife raise our teenagers, one of whom has left for school.  Hence the free time to post!  I'm looking forward to the discussions.

Welcome, Brian!!

I fell off the wagon myself a few years ago, and landed in Central Pa. Several years ago I move into a once sleepy foodie city,who has exploded into an all out destination food giant. Youll find a wealth of resources here on the cite. You may even make new friends at one of the events. Above all else, you've landed in a good spot.

Welcome,

kat

• Like 2