Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Greetings, all. My real name is Richard. I've been an enthusiastic amateur cook and an even more enthusiastic eater for a long, long time. I live in Michigan but get to DC about once a year, sometimes twice; sometimes with my wife, sometimes by myself. I've posted a few times on dr.com, but mainly I lurk (a.k.a. do research) when it's time to plan my next visit. I've met Malawry once. I do all of my food-related posting on eGullet. About three years ago I was part of a spirited exchange, shall we say, on eG about BlackSalt.

We'll be in town later this week for five days. Dinners are planned for Hook on Friday, Passage to India on Saturday, Ray's the Steaks on Sunday, and Circle Bistro on New Year's Eve. Lunch, as things currently stand, will be at Cafe Atlantico on Saturday; Joe's Noodle House on Sunday; Kaz Sushi Bistro, Corduroy, or Brasserie Beck on Monday; and at my cousin's house on Tuesday.

Great idea, this forum.

Greetings, all. My real name is Richard. I've been an enthusiastic amateur cook and an even more enthusiastic eater for a long, long time. I live in Michigan but get to DC about once a year, sometimes twice; sometimes with my wife, sometimes by myself. I've posted a few times on dr.com, but mainly I lurk (a.k.a. do research) when it's time to plan my next visit. I've met Malawry once. I do all of my food-related posting on eGullet. About three years ago I was part of a spirited exchange, shall we say, on eG about BlackSalt.

We'll be in town later this week for five days. Dinners are planned for Hook on Friday, Passage to India on Saturday, Ray's the Steaks on Sunday, and Circle Bistro on New Year's Eve. Lunch, as things currently stand, will be at Cafe Atlantico on Saturday; Joe's Noodle House on Sunday; Kaz Sushi Bistro, Corduroy, or Brasserie Beck on Monday; and at my cousin's house on Tuesday.

Great idea, this forum.

Damn, I feel lazy. We'll be coming down from NYC on Friday and staying thru Monday morning, getting home in time for NYear's Eve. I was pretty damn proud of myself, arranging dinner with a dr.com/mouthfulsfood.com friend for Friday at Vidalia until I saw your itinerary. Now I feel like an underacheiver. Have fun... see you around town. We'll be the ones looking like tourists. :(

Damn, I feel lazy. We'll be coming down from NYC on Friday and staying thru Monday morning, getting home in time for NYear's Eve. I was pretty damn proud of myself, arranging dinner with a dr.com/mouthfulsfood.com friend for Friday at Vidalia until I saw your itinerary. Now I feel like an underacheiver. Have fun... see you around town. We'll be the ones looking like tourists. :(

Greetings, fellow shrimp. DC is a good time, isn't it? Sometimes I wish we lived an easy train ride away, but then we wouldn't have the easy ride to Chicago. Tough choice, there. :(

We'll be doing some of the tourist stuff too -- Nat'l Gallery, Phillips Collection, Freer, Library of Congress, etc. Ms. Alex always makes a pilgrimage to her favorite clothing $tore, in Crystal City.

Welcome, Alex! We've conversef over on EG about Stratford a few times. Sounds like a great trip you have planned!

Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer! Unfortunately, we won't be doing our traditional Memorial Day trip to Stratford this year, but will compensate by attending a touring production of Spamalot! here in GR. If you go to Globe Restaurant this summer, I'd be curious to hear how it, and the food, are doing. Last summer they had started cutting back on the small plates and offering more "regular" entrees. Sounds like Stratford hasn't yet heard about the extinction of the entree.

I'm Eric and I've checked out the dr.com board occasionally for a while, but recently I have started reading it more regularly.

I don't work in the food industry. Like many DC residents, I work for the government. I've been in the District for about 6 years. I used to live in Shaw, where my primary food options were Ben's Chili Bowl and Manny and Oldga's. I've been pleasantly surprised and excited by the increasing number of food options in the District. I've also lived in Dupont area. I presently live in Columbia Heights.

Coming from the Great Plains, I used to be a food heathen, knowing very little about food. I still know very little, but I have a good time. I'm mostly self-taught, with the help of a few of staple cookbooks, the Internet, the rise of food-oriented television, and some helpful friends. I originally indulged my love of food by going out to eat, but more recently have focused on improving my amateur cooking skills at home.

I really like meat and wish there was a little more northern European fare in the District.

I would have attended either or both of the previously mentioned events.

My favorite restaurant in DC is Komi. I also really liked Cityzen, but can't afford to go that often. I think that I am most satisfied with "country style" restaurants....Dino, La Chaumiere, Blue Duck, Vidalia, etc. The one place I've never been, but feel that I should go soon is Palena. There are a few more like Minbar, Hook, and Blacksalt that are on my must try soon list. I love having so many options.

If I could pose a question to the board....what is the single most essential / most used / most loved / most important piece of kitchen equipment that you have in your home?

Hello everyone, I'm Adam. I've been in the area for about 9 years now, and like everyone else, I love food. Come to think of it, I would go to a restaurant for every meal if money was no object.

Why am I here? Pretty much so I can hang out and share thoughts with people that REALLY love food. I think a few years ago Washingtonian readers rated Outback as one of the best steakhouses in the area - that pissed me off to no end, and I learned to take all these reviews that I read online with a grain of salt. But now I found DR - a place with opinions that I can learn to trust.

I love all kinds of food, from fancy to down-and-dirty. There is no better steak than Capital Grille. There is no better chicken finger than Crystal City Sports Pub.

Nice to meet everyone!

Without a doubt: my 8-inch cast iron skillet.

I like my chef's knife and cutting board. There is something about working in the kitchen that excites and calms me, and using my cutting board and knife sets the magical cooking process in motion.

(edited so I don't sound like a serial killer. thanks, legant!)

I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I am Ben. I was looking for a place in DC that served Chicken Fried Steak or Country Fried Steak and was told that this was the site to visit. Outside of Cracker Barrel my strongest lead for Chicken Fried Steak is Mad Hatter. Regardless, I'm looking forward to turning to this site for advice on noshing, eating and dining in DC! I'll add my opinion when I can.

Hi. My name is Karen and I like food.

I can't remember exactly how I found this site - someone might have referred me to it during the time I was intently studying how to saute ventworm nuts without excessive breakage. Or perhaps it was more recently during my research on beefcake. Historic beefcake, that is. Food history is something I love to think about, and the first three pages of a quick google search of beefcake showed Don Rocks over and over again, so here I am.

My interests (besides historic beefcake) include talking about and thinking about food. I admit that recipes (for the most part) bore me and photos of lettuce, particularly Bibb or Boston - put me right off to sleep unless there is a soft melty gently spiced veal forcemeat (they used to use that word in Larousse and I have not yet been able to shed it) wrapped inside the lettuce leaves with the entire thing gleaming in a low round glazed bowl of very good stock. Maybe with a poached egg cuddled alongside to break like fat velvet into the dish before chowing down.

Mostly though it is what food does to people that captures my interest. The world not seen whenever one takes a bite.

Yours in whirled peas,

Karen

Hi. My name is Karen and I like food.

I can't remember exactly how I found this site - someone might have referred me to it during the time I was intently studying how to saute ventworm nuts without excessive breakage. Or perhaps it was more recently during my research on beefcake. Historic beefcake, that is. Food history is something I love to think about, and the first three pages of a quick google search of beefcake showed Don Rocks over and over again, so here I am.

My interests (besides historic beefcake) include talking about and thinking about food. I admit that recipes (for the most part) bore me and photos of lettuce, particularly Bibb or Boston - put me right off to sleep unless there is a soft melty gently spiced veal forcemeat (they used to use that word in Larousse and I have not yet been able to shed it) wrapped inside the lettuce leaves with the entire thing gleaming in a low round glazed bowl of very good stock. Maybe with a poached egg cuddled alongside to break like fat velvet into the dish before chowing down.

Mostly though it is what food does to people that captures my interest. The world not seen whenever one takes a bite.

Yours in whirled peas,

Karen

easily the funniest first post in my memory. welcome, karen.

Welcome! But how much did Don pay you to say that?!

It is enough that he exists, synaesthesia.

I want that recipe! Welcome.

That recipe unfortunately has not been perfected yet, legant. But I promise to post it when perfection is reached in overall flavor, texture, and heat.

Thank you for the welcome, though.

easily the funniest first post in my memory. welcome, karen.

Thanks, starfish.

:(

You've all been very kind in your welcomes. So much so in fact, that you not only have made me feel welcome here but you are softening my ex-NY'ers heart in its vague unspecified worries about DC'ers.

My friend Anna Blume started this process but really I did not expect it to be a trend.

Heather and Raisa, thanks. :(

You've all been very kind in your welcomes. So much so in fact, that you not only have made me feel welcome here but you are softening my ex-NY'ers heart in its vague unspecified worries about DC'ers.

My friend Anna Blume started this process but really I did not expect it to be a trend.

Heather and Raisa, thanks. :(

Who are you and why are you so damn funny? Welcome!

Good morning. I'll be the brave one who follows Karen's postings.

I have been in NoVa for about 3 1/2 years, first in Franconia and now in Alexandria, and I'm very happy to have found DR.com. I thank Pontormo from eGullet for pointing me in this direction.

I am an archaeologist and I travel a lot, so rather than admit that I have a tendency to be somewhat absent-minded, I'm going to say that I must have been out of the country and missed the mass exodus from eG... I study ancient foodways and I love to cook. I also run - not terribly far and not terribly fast - but very consistently, just so I can eat more.

Like just about everyone here, I am food-obsessed. Unlike many people on food boards, I don't care for meat (childhood trauma), so I tend to be produce-oriented. I also bake quite a bit. I shop mainly at farmer's markets in the summer and at Asian grocers the rest of the year. Then there's the Costco obsession. Right now my food-related goal is to find a store that carries good quality Temple of Heaven gunpowder/pearl green tea. Grand Mart has a nasty habit of carrying a product just long enough for me to rely on it, then having it disappear from the shelves.

I look forward to reading more of the boards and meeting you all!

-Linda

Linda, welcome!

I'm Pontormo over at eGullet.

I hope someone will be able to pipe up in response to your specific quest.

Meanwhile, if you go up to the section of this forum devoted to Shopping and Cooking, you'll see the venerable mktye has compiled an index of topics. Look at the very top, above the list of current threads. Perhaps someone has already posted useful information.

Right now my food-related goal is to find a store that carries good quality Temple of Heaven gunpowder/pearl green tea. Grand Mart has a nasty habit of carrying a product just long enough for me to rely on it, then having it disappear from the shelves.
Here is the current tea-buying thread in the Shopping and Cooking forum. But better yet would be for you to start a new thread in Shopping and Cooking regarding your Temple of Heaven tea-quest since it will more likely come to the attention of the dedicated dr.com shoppers. :(

Meanwhile, if you go up to the section of this forum devoted to Shopping and Cooking, you'll see the venerable mktye has compiled an index of topics. Look at the very top, above the list of current threads. Perhaps someone has already posted useful information.
Here is the current tea-buying thread in the Shopping and Cooking forum.

What a great resource! Thanks!

why are you so damn funny?

When you think about historic beefcake as much as I do, it just sort of happens sometimes.

Karen: I hope you'll engage the DR community in some of your own interests in food history, for example, which might have a home in "News and Media" if not elsewhere, even if it's old news.

I'll try, Anna.

Good morning. I'll be the brave one who follows Karen's postings.

I have been in NoVa for about 3 1/2 years, first in Franconia and now in Alexandria, and I'm very happy to have found DR.com. I thank Pontormo from eGullet for pointing me in this direction.

[ . . .]

I look forward to reading more of the boards and meeting you all!

-Linda

I'm happy to see you here, Linda. :(

i know that we all think of ourselves as an affable and approachable lot, however, i have heard from more than a few people that one's first post can be a little intimidating to write. i think that it would come easier after an introduction.

since i have a few friends who have recently joined the board, i have been thinking about this a bit recently. therefore, i am nominating this thread as the place to say hello. all of you lurkers, members without a post, etc, feel free to drop a line or two here. say hello. i swear it gets easier after your first one.

still not sure? ok, i'll start...

good day to everyone. i am new to the board. i am danny, i manage a little italian restaurant in foggy bottom. i found this board after a friend mentioned it to me, and am very happy to be here. i hope to be an active part of this community.

thanks, don and everyone else for letting me play in your sandbox.

Hi folks,

I'm a novice food blogger (FoodRockz) and an all-around food fanatic living and working in the Dupont/Logan neighborhoods. I've only been reading this site for a couple of weeks, but love it so far and, consequently, have decided to jump in to a greater level of involvement.

Happy Restaurant Week!

I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I am Ben. I was looking for a place in DC that served Chicken Fried Steak or Country Fried Steak and was told that this was the site to visit. Outside of Cracker Barrel my strongest lead for Chicken Fried Steak is Mad Hatter. Regardless, I'm looking forward to turning to this site for advice on noshing, eating and dining in DC! I'll add my opinion when I can.
Welcome, Ben! If you can make it over to Old Town, head to Southside on S. Washington. They tend to run out on the weekends, but it's worth the trip.

My name is Tom. I hail from Chicago, go to school at Claremont McKenna (at the Eastern edge of LA County) and am spending the spring 2008 on my school's DC semester program. I found this site from a link on lthforum.com, a Chicago food board. I'll be looking for some places where I can get some good food on a college students budget.

Hey everyone,

My name is Andy. I'm 30, a virgo, and enjoy long walks on the beach and hot tubs. :mellow:

I have been lurking on the board for a few months now. Amit mentioned the board to me a few months back after I attended the Colorado Kitchen DR dinner meetup thing and here I am.

So far I have really enjoyed reading the restaurant reviews and some of the cooking/food shopping remarks that have been made. Thanks a lot for the information.

Some of the places I enjoy are: Colorado Kitchen, Central, PS7, 2 Amys, Great Wall Schezuan House, Florida Ave Grill (late night), and Temperance Hall (before the name change, rye and Scott departure).

Before DC was Philly, where I loved going to BYOB restaurants and dive bars. I miss those a lot.

I love drinking really fine craft and imported beers, and I hope to learn something about wine (Cork is opening down the street from me).

Glad to be here, hope everyone has a nice evening.

-Andy

hi there,

my name is Rob Thornton and i live in the Land of Strip Malls (aka Rockville Pike). i've got a limited food budget so i'm here to get more from my food dollar. i began in eGullet and went out to a DC dinner with some of those folks (Bob's Noodles 66) but it seems that there's more local chat at DonRocks so voila i am here. :mellow:

one food tip: the local Crisp & Juicy seems to have picked up some slack in the last few months and is becoming competitive with El Pollo Rico again. Crisp tasty skin and moist chicken--ahh thats the stuff.

rob

Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm a foodie.

It's been three weeks since my last steak or donut. My doctor and wife told me to lose 20 lbs or:

1. die and
  2. have affection withheld.

Hopefully in that order.

I am on Weight Watchers (online) with my wife since January 7th myself. I've managed to lose 10 pounds already. Doc says I need to lose a good bit more

I have to tell you the thing that I hate hate HATE is more or less not being able to eat out when I want to. If I am lucky, I have a once a week splurge.

That said, I am pleasantly surprised that it is not as hard as I thought it would be.

BTW, welcome aboard!

Hi! My name is Cheryl and I live in Southwestern PA, near Pittsburgh. I visit the D.C. area quite often and I thought that this would be a good place to see what is happening in the area when I visit.

D.C. has some of the best restaurants around. I have visited many but am always looking for new places to haunt.

i began in eGullet and went out to a DC dinner with some of those folks (Bob's Noodles 66) but it seems that there's more local chat at DonRocks so voila i am here.
I think you've come full circle, Rob, since many of those folk are here.

I think I was at that dinner too...

My name is Renee- my pen name on my website is Aphioni. I review a wide variety of services in Ashburn VA and nearby, but i'm just getting started so my site may look a bit narrow... :mellow:

I've been eating all my life so i feel pretty qualified to judge what i like and don't like, hence, the reviews. Lima beans and liver- DON'T LIKE. Steak and cheese- LIKE! See- it's that easy, and that's the only qualification i think one needs to review meals. I think the key is making other people taste your words and go to make the decision for themselves on whether they agree.

I've lurked for awhile and found thqat you folks take dining- not food-but the whole experience- as seriously as i do, so i feel at home! I'm looking forward to agreeing and disagreeing with you... thanks for letting me in.

ciao,

Renee aka Aphioni

www.aphioni.com