Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hi, new to DonRockwell, but have heard about it for years. I'm a librarian and have lived in DC for most of my adult life, and thus seen the city transform from "enh, sleepy southern town" to a food powerhouse. Living in this area has given me a huge appreciation for a variety of ethnic cuisines (though I'm still looking for really good Mexican) that I have missed living in other parts of the country. I'm also a fairly ambitious (though not always successful) home cook, and am lucky that my boyfriend will try just about anything once.

Chuck H here from the NY area. Director of Strategy for Wovn Group, a nine year old business planning, brand definition and marketing planning & implementation resource. We specialize in areas/business models such as restuarants, food, helathy foods, concierge/hospitality-related, destination, bar/lounge, entertainment and publishing, to name a few that are probably most relevant for the membership of this forum. We can be reached directly at info@wovngroup.com.

Hello folks. Some of us met Don indirectly at Bistro la Bonne recently - one of our favorites. We try to be funny and put on shows around DC to make you laugh. I've attached a flyer to our next show. I personally recommend the fish sticks, food wise.

A few days later, on the 19th, we'll be doing a brunch show at Shaw's Tavern from 3-5 p.m. It will be a very fun time and I hope we can meet in person at a show soon.

Feel free to ask us anything. For the most part, we've put all the website and other link-ups to learn more in our profile.

Hopefully, you're able to come out (or a few are) and it's good to you and we earn our welcome here at DC Dining.

Cheers,

Rich

LYGO DC

Hello folks. Some of us met Don indirectly at Bistro la Bonne recently - one of our favorites. We try to be funny and put on shows around DC to make you laugh. I've attached a flyer to our next show. I personally recommend the fish sticks, food wise.

A few days later, on the 19th, we'll be doing a brunch show at Shaw's Tavern from 3-5 p.m. It will be a very fun time and I hope we can meet in person at a show soon.

Feel free to ask us anything. For the most part, we've put all the website and other link-ups to learn more in our profile.

Hopefully, you're able to come out (or a few are) and it's good to you and we earn our welcome here at DC Dining.

Cheers,

Rich

LYGO DC

I'm just grateful you didn't include my note. :unsure::lol:

Hi, my name is Matt. I'm leading the food website for PBS, which launched a little over a year ago. While our focus is on the stuff you can watch on air and other cooking-based content moreso than restaurant reviews or profiles, I live in the area and am always looking for interesting meals.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm Johnnye. I joined this web site at the urging of my sister-in-law a couple of years ago but forgot I had. Just poking around for the first time. I am a vegan for health reasons so not sure if I will find much that I can use but I am hopeful.

Hello, I'm Johnnye. I joined this web site at the urging of my sister-in-law a couple of years ago but forgot I had. Just poking around for the first time. I am a vegan for health reasons so not sure if I will find much that I can use but I am hopeful.

Oh, don't be so sure - this is a vegan-friendly website. Start here, then post any specific requests in the Help Needed forum.

Hello everybody. I have been lurking and enjoying the site without signing up for far too long. Hopefully, I can contribute and give a little back. My wife and I love knowing and learning where those little spots are where ever we land. (We also really enjoy eating at those spots too).

We are currently in the Alexandria area on a quest for our favorite: the fun, the cheap, and the really good.

Hi all, I'm Colin the GM of Redwood in Bethesda. I've lurked the board for many years and finally decided to join! I worked at local restaurants throughout college and after a brief stint at a desk job, I returned in 2004 and have stayed in the industry since. I know quite a few people on the board and I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the community.

Reintroducing myself from a few years ago - I have another DC business/pleasure trip coming up in April and wanted to get the lay of the land again. Last time I was planning a trip, this site was invaluable. Thanks for the help and for any possible help you may provide this time around! I'm staying at the Hilton near Dupont Circle for the first few days, then in old town Alexandria for the 2nd half of my trip. No car, so it's Metro and hoofing it.

Some things have changed since I was last here - Ben Ali passed away, Ray's Hell Burger started accepting credit cards... then closed. It takes a lot of effort to keep up with changes here in Chicago, much less in DC.

Cheers

Reintroducing myself from a few years ago - I have another DC business/pleasure trip coming up in April and wanted to get the lay of the land again. Last time I was planning a trip, this site was invaluable. Thanks for the help and for any possible help you may provide this time around! I'm staying at the Hilton near Dupont Circle for the first few days, then in old town Alexandria for the 2nd half of my trip. No car, so it's Metro and hoofing it.

Some things have changed since I was last here - Ben Ali passed away, Ray's Hell Burger started accepting credit cards... then closed. It takes a lot of effort to keep up with changes here in Chicago, much less in DC.

Cheers

Welcome back! Definitely post with as much detail as possible in the Help Needed thread including such "obvious" things as availability of car, whether or not you'll be with children, any special needs, etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Just posted my first "please help me..." for lunch near DuPont Circle. I don't think I've found any better location-specific food discussion sites than this one and lthforum.com in Chicago. I feel very lucky to have access to the collective wisdom of my peers.

Hello! My name is Andrew and I write the food blog Cook In / Dine Out (www.cookindineout.com), which is mostly about cooking and cocktails but I also write about restaurants, food journalism and sometimes books. I'm not in the food industry, but I learned to cook as a child, really got into it as a teenager and have been doing it regularly ever since. I love how cooking is a constant process of education--there is always something new to try or a technique to perfect. As proficient as I think I am in the kitchen, I know there is so much I don't know. There is always something new to discover, which I think is a big part of what makes cooking so exciting and rewarding. I grew up in Portland, Oregon and moved to D.C. after college (in 1999), where I've been ever since. It has been an exciting time to live in the city as the food scene has evolved and really blossomed.

I found this forum while searching for clues on how to make the roast chicken at Palena, which is one of my very favorite things to eat in a D.C. restaurant. I love the discussion on that topic that has unfolded here for the last 7 years. I'm looking forward to exploring this site more, particularly the restaurant guide, which sounds like a great resource.

• Like 1

Hello! My name is Andrew and I write the food blog Cook In / Dine Out (www.cookindineout.com), which is mostly about cooking and cocktails but I also write about restaurants, food journalism and sometimes books. I'm not in the food industry, but I learned to cook as a child, really got into it as a teenager and have been doing it regularly ever since. I love how cooking is a constant process of education--there is always something new to try or a technique to perfect. As proficient as I think I am in the kitchen, I know there is so much I don't know. There is always something new to discover, which I think is a big part of what makes cooking so exciting and rewarding. I grew up in Portland, Oregon and moved to D.C. after college (in 1999), where I've been ever since. It has been an exciting time to live in the city as the food scene has evolved and really blossomed.

I found this forum while searching for clues on how to make the roast chicken at Palena, which is one of my very favorite things to eat in a D.C. restaurant. I love the discussion on that topic that has unfolded here for the last 7 years. I'm looking forward to exploring this site more, particularly the restaurant guide, which sounds like a great resource.

Thanks Andrew, and make sure to keep us updated about your own blog, too. Please start a topic for it in our Blog Central forum - I look forward to reading it, and I'm sure many others will, too - we just need to be nudged a couple times a month. Each little synopsis you write here will bring you a good 100 visits, usually more over time.

Hello - I'm Sandy. I don't work in the industry but I grew up in it. My father owned two of the first Chinese Restaurants in Bethesda and Potomac in the from the 70's to the early 90's.

I'm an ER nurse by night (only nights for me) and a feeder by day. Baking and feeding my co-workers is my therapy.

I'm also a good eater too.

Since I live within walking distance to downtown Bethesda and have 2 big dogs, I'm always on the lookout for establishments that have outdoor seating and allow pets.

Hi All! I have from SC and have been to the DC area for a little of 2 years. I moved up here to purse a MBA degree in marketing and sport management. I recently created my first website for a class project and am learning the most effective ways to market it. Because I am from the south and love food, I thought I would create a site that would highlight restaurants with southern food that I personally recommend.

Please check out my website and let me know of any good southern restaurants in the area that I should consider adding. www.southernrestaurantsdc.com

Hi everyone,

My name is Adam Ross and my wife and I just started a local Thai-style chili sauce business, Apinya Thai Food Co. We're looking to get more involved in the food scene and partner with area restaurants, so if you're an owner and would like to discuss please let me know. Coming up in April we're hosting a Thai New Year event at mad momos in Columbia Heights, which I'll post about in the events section.

Hi all! My name is Stephanie Cedeño and I help on the PR effort for Grill Concepts restaurants on a national level. There are three Daily Grill restaurants in the D.C. metro area and from time to time I will log in to provide details about their special offering, events and/or seasonal menus. :)

Hi all! My name is Stephanie Cedeño and I help on the PR effort for Grill Concepts restaurants on a national level. There are three Daily Grill restaurants in the D.C. metro area and from time to time I will log in to provide details about their special offering, events and/or seasonal menus. :)

Welcome, Stephanie, and thanks for joining and posting. Since you outed yourself :), I took the liberty of putting clickable links in your signature file.

Please feel free to share news about Daily Grill, up to two times per month, and if you want to let us know about one-time-only events, go ahead and start a thread in the Events and Gatherings section.

Daily Grill has an excellent reputation of treating its employees well, and in fact the last time I had dinner there, it was with Nikki Lewis from the Restaurant Opportunities Council.

And if you live in California, please keep us updated with what's good in Los Angeles, San Clemente, etc.

I'm a "food fan" who lives between Boston and Providence, RI. And (just in case you've never been there) Providence is a much better dining destination than Beantown! But that's a story for another day.

My wife and I will be in D.C. next week, from Tuesday through Sunday night, and I've been scouring the web to find "honest" sources for good eating experiences. We enjoy everything from "haute cuisine" to "diner heaven". Hopefully I'll find lots of input on this site, and I'll report back on how well we fare (but give me a week or two - we won't be back home until April 12th).

BJC (aka "Providence Gourmet")

I'm a "food fan" who lives between Boston and Providence, RI. And (just in case you've never been there) Providence is a much better dining destination than Beantown! But that's a story for another day.

My wife and I will be in D.C. next week, from Tuesday through Sunday night, and I've been scouring the web to find "honest" sources for good eating experiences. We enjoy everything from "haute cuisine" to "diner heaven". Hopefully I'll find lots of input on this site, and I'll report back on how well we fare (but give me a week or two - we won't be back home until April 12th).

BJC (aka "Providence Gourmet")

Welcome, Providence Gourmet. And now a question for you: How are you getting here? I may be going to Providence in a couple weeks, and the flights are outrageous.

Have you really "scoured the web," and are only finding out about this place just now?!

1) I'm flying Southwest Air into BWI, then driving to a Marriott in North Bethesda that's right next to a Metro station (But renting a car is cheaper than the van rates from BWI to Bethesda - go figure!). If you book them 6 months ahead you can usually get $140 round-trip, and then progressively higher as time gets closer. It will probably cost you around $200 for something in the next few weeks.

2) Hey, I just started "scouring" yesterday :rolleyes: . Being in the "sweet spot" of life (retired, but still healthy enough and financially able to travel :D ), we've got 8 separate destinations planned this year (of which D.C. is the 2nd). So planning sometimes gets 'backed up'. I sincerely hope you make it to "Little Rhody". There are probably 100 restaurants worthy of eating in here! Not bad for a city of 200,000. Enough, anyways, that I'll never get to them all :( - new opens open faster than I can check off the old ones. And some need to be visited quite often, of course. the other great location for dining in New England is Portland, ME. Not as many places as Providence, but it's a lot smaller - and the quality is fantastic.

3) Bottom Line - if you're coming up here for sure, let me know, and I'll try to steer you to some nice places.

April 15th, returning April 18th, $180 round-trip per person (as I am seeing in real-time right now). Anything closer in time is much higher, I'm afraid. Plan ahead!! :lol::( . Once in awhile you can get $49 (one person, one way) - but usually only the first day or two that SW opens up a new block of the calendar (right now booking through early October - they stay 6 or 7 months ahead). The early bird gets the worm.

Sadly, air fares will never go back to the way they used to be, any more than 10 cent cigars or gasoline for less than a buck.

Hello, new to DR.com. I'm no one in particular. I love food and reading about food, though I have no affiliations with anyone or anything in the industry. I grew up in No VA, left for college, and came back to settle in DC proper (Shaw neighborhood). I just came here to lurk and gobble up info on DC restaurants. Don't mind me! :)

Hi Everyone - My name is Jason and I am the husband of fellow member bettyjoan.

I lived up here in DC when I went to law school, before going to Atlanta for a few years. Just moved back to DC yesterday and I am looking forward to catching up on the food and beer scenes - especially the beer! The biggest thing I will miss about Atlanta is Taco Mac, where you can try over 1,000 unique beers, if you put in the work. I only got to 575 before I left, so I'm hoping to find some new stuff here, along with some old favorites.

Oh yeah - and I'm currently an out of work lawyer. We moved back so bettyjoan could take a big promotion with her federal agency, so if you have any leads, feel free to pass them on!

post-10401-0-02952600-1366920177_thumb.j

Hi Everyone - My name is Jason and I am the husband of fellow member bettyjoan.

I lived up here in DC when I went to law school, before going to Atlanta for a few years. Just moved back to DC yesterday and I am looking forward to catching up on the food and beer scenes - especially the beer! The biggest thing I will miss about Atlanta is Taco Mac, where you can try over 1,000 unique beers, if you put in the work. I only got to 575 before I left, so I'm hoping to find some new stuff here, along with some old favorites.

Oh yeah - and I'm currently an out of work lawyer. We moved back so bettyjoan could take a big promotion with her federal agency, so if you have any leads, feel free to pass them on!

Welcome, Jason. We've missed bettyjoan - it's nice to have you both back (he says, before darting out the door to Pupatella).

Feel free to post your info in the Jobs and Employment forum - many law firms consider reading this website billable time. :)

Hi Rockwellians! This is Pamela Hess and I think this is my first post? Though I have been lurking for a long time... I'm one of the old Chowhound Crew with Marty L and Zora M. I live on the Hill near Eastern Market.

I thought it was time to get official since taking a new job that will interest most of you. Formerly the editor of Flavor (and then Foodshed), I am the new executive director of the Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food & Agriculture. www.arcadiafood.org. It's a great organization doing important work, and we have amibitious plans for restoring our local food system.

Our flagship program is our Mobile Market which launches its second year this week. We refurbished an old school bus into a rolling farm stand that we stock with fresh, gorgeous produce from our small sustianable farm on the grounds of Woodlawn mansion -- come out and see it any time (except Monday's as that is our farmer's day off. You'll get a better look at it if Stephen is there to guide you.) What we don't grow ourselves we pick up weekly from local farms within about 100 mile radius of D.C. Then we make 9 regular stops each week in the metro area, targeting neighborhoods without ready access to quality food -- these tend to be low income areas.

Through generous donations and our own fundraising, we are able to double the value of our customers' federal food assistance benefits. That means $20 on an EBT card gets our customer $40 in nutritious, locally grown food. We carry produce, locally raised hormone- and anti-biotic free meat, dairy, and pastured eggs. Real food shouldn't be the province of the wealthy. Our market chops away at two of the main barriers -- geography and affordability.

http://arcadiafood.org/news/mobile-market-report

The Market also visits local schools for on site "field trips." And we welcome field trips to the farm as well. In the summer we offer farm camp for kids 6 - 12. One-fifth of the campers last summer were on scholarship. We are raising money right now for this summer -- we have 10 of the 20 planned scholarships funded. Lots more to go. Farm camp is really wonderful. There are 4 one week sessions. Every moprning starts with the kids collecting eggs from our laying hens, heloping harvest what is ripe, and light watering and weeding. They learn about botany, soil, agriculture, nutrition, and healthy eating and cooking. If you have a hard time getting your kid to eat their veggies, send 'em to camp. They will eat anything they've picked themselves, and we show them how to make it taste great.

http://arcadiafood.org/arcadia-farm-camp

We have a fundraising dinner coming up on the farm on May 19 that I hope you'll check out. Tony Chittum, the James Beard award semifinalist (winners announced next week!) is preparing a gorgeous menu of Mediterranean dishes using Mid-Atlantic produce and meats from local farms, and each course is paired with a fantastic Virginia wine. The dinner starts with a stroll through the farm with our farm director (and sparkling wine and canapes), then we sit down at a long table stretched between two fields and dig in. More information about the dinner is here -- I hope you'll join us!

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d879a39f766b935628a8d1295&id=e751076002&e=191916836d

Thanks for reading this far, and supporting Arcadia however you can!

Best

P

Hi, I just started posting last week, but have been a reader for a few years now. My name is Simul Parikh, I live in Alexandria, VA (Del Ray) and am an oncologist in Maryland. I have always loved food, having lived in Chicago and New Orleans, but since moving here I've very much expanded what I eat, particularly in terms of Asian food. I grew up thinking it was boring, tasteless brown sauces and vegetables, but that's because I was eating at all the wrong places. I now can't get enough Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese. This is because of this website and Tyler Cowen, and I'm glad to now join the community.

Simul

Hello,

New to DonRockwell, in previous years I spent my time lurking and checking out the various restaurants (usually alone or with my GF). I've been to a majority of the Korean restaurants in Annandale, as well as the majority of Chinese/Taiwanese restaurants in DC and Rockville. I read and speak Chinese fluently so I suppose that offers an advantage when I'm trying to order pig intestines cooked in szechuan peppers.

Cheers,

Ken

Happy Sunday and hello everyone,

My name is Sebastian Oveysi and i am the Executive Chef and Managing Partner of Amoo's House of Kabob located In Mclean VA.

My family have been in the restaurant Industry for nearly 20 years. My father opened his first restaurant in 1994 after working as a waiter for many years trying to support a family of 6. His hard work and dedication to cooking made him well known in the small Falls Church, VA community. As the years went by, he continued to experiment with verity of Persian meats and spices. After operating for 10 years in Falls Church, My family wanted to do something different, something that no one has done before. After closing Rose Cafe In Falls Church, we were blessed to have the oppertunity to open Amoo's House of Kabob. Currently Rated number 1 restaurant in Mclean, VA by yelp.com users.

One of the main reasons why Amoos is so successful, its because we just dont do kabobs. Our menu consisits of traditional Persian kabobs and hearty stews. But lately weve taken it to whole new level by adding Seafood Kabob options to the menu which include Atlantic Sockeye Salmon kabob, Chilean Sea Bass kabob, and New england Sea Scallps kabob.

About a year ago, I started doing daily specials that resulted in high recognition for the restaurant. Currently our daily Specials change everyday and we have provided some of the tastiest special options that people cant seem to stop talking about.

I like to be creative and with my Father's brilliant brain, i feel like the options are just limitless. And i am so excited for the next coming weeks. I have found some of the best wild caught fish and free ranged meats from around the world that are being delivered straight to our kitchen every morning. My father and mothers cooking combined with my own experience working in various big chain restaurants around the U.S, has resulted in a very successful operation. Starting from Mid-summer 2013, Amoos will be having delivery option in addition to our very well knows carryout menu and service.

Please come and visit us at www.amoosrestaurant.com or simply find us on Facebook. I personaly keep contact with everyone through all the social media. But my personal favorite site that i use to promote specials and keep in touch with our wonderful guests, its Facebook. I find it to be a great tool for my family's business.

Thank you everyone who have dined with us in the past and thank you for making Amoo's McLean's favorite neighborhood restaurant and one of the best family operated businesses in DC Metro area.

And finaly thank you Mr. Rockwell for voting us one of your favorite restaurant!! My family is extremely flattered!!! Thank you. Looking forward to seeing all of you at my table!!

post-10412-0-64378900-1367783463_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hello, all! Recently moved here from San Francisco, and am excited to get out and about trying some of the great dining options the city has to offer! Seems like an awesome website - thanks for letting me join in.

Cheers!

Logan

Hello, all! Recently moved here from San Francisco, and am excited to get out and about trying some of the great dining options the city has to offer! Seems like an awesome website - thanks for letting me join in.

Cheers!

Logan

Welcome, Logan, and thanks for letting us have you here. What is good in SF these days (or, if it's shorter to answer, let us know what isn't).

Years later, I'm still in love with Delfina and the raw bar at Zuni Cafe (but I still can't shake the over-vinegared greens under my roast chicken there).

Hi, all.

I haven't followed proper protocol and introduced myself. My name is Cizuka and I have been following this site for a little while. I have only recently started contributing but I plan on contributing my two cents more often. I eagerly look forward to the feedback and discourse.

During my time off-line, I like to do things like run a restaurant and swim. I also enjoy gardening and expect a nice crop of Japanese cucumbers this year.

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, overdue on joining up.

My name is...Josh, and I'm relatively new to DC (2.5 years). I live in Capitol Hill NE, just off the H St. NE corridor. I moved from NYC (East Village) for work (doc at Children's National). I've used the hell out of this site since moving here, and it's definitely my most trusted source for news/reviews.

Tough to name a "favorite," but places I frequent are Toki Underground (this place was a godsend for my wife and I as we suffered through Momofuku withdrawal), Bangkok Golden, Ethiopic, and Boundary Road. Obviously lots of H St. places for obvious reasons.

My most memorable meals in DC thus far have been Komi and Cityzen. The wife still dreams of the cheese cart from the latter, while I hold on to the memory of getting the last pour of a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice I've gotten (anonymously) so far. I hope to be able to add something useful to the conversation here soon!

My name is...Josh, and I'm relatively new to DC (2.5 years). I live in Capitol Hill NE, just off the H St. NE corridor. I moved from NYC (East Village) for work (doc at Children's National). I've used the hell out of this site since moving here, and it's definitely my most trusted source for news/reviews.

Thank you, Josh, for taking the time to say this. I don't hear it as much as people might think.

Cheers, and welcome!

Rocks

There used to be instructions for using BBCode somewhere; for example, how to link to something so that "Click Here" is dsplayed instead the actual URL. I thought the instructions used to pop up when you went into BBCode mode while composing a post, but I don't see them anymore. Did this go away as part of an Invision udpdate?

There used to be instructions for using BBCode somewhere; for example, how to link to something so that "Click Here" is dsplayed instead the actual URL. I thought the instructions used to pop up when you went into BBCode mode while composing a post, but I don't see them anymore. Did this go away as part of an Invision udpdate?

To put in a link, highlight your own text, e.g., Click me, then click on the 9th icon from the left in the bottom panel. Fill in the URL, and you'll be all set.

If you really want to get hardcore in coding your own post, click on the 1st icon on the left in the top panel. Note that this is a toggle switch, so if you get stuck in that "mode," just click the icon again. I've had several "Help! I'm desperate!" letters in the past when a member unknowingly got stuck in this mode and didn't know how to get out.

Hello we are Jon & Anna from the Seoulfooddc food truck, & now the new brick & mortar in Wheaton. We met at Whole Foods where I was a meat cutter & Anna was a pastry chef. We are both passionate about different kinds of good food so one thing led to another and SeoulFood was born. It has been a wild ride & we are loving every minute of it. We are looking forward to being part of and promoting a community of thoughtful omnivores.