1464 replies to this topic

#1451 sak20011

sak20011

shrimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

The first time I ever went to Komi. :)

Aww, that's right. I remember you telling me that the chef was freaking amazing, but not yet of legal drinking age.

#1452 peepers

peepers

I Just Made My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm just lurking!

#1453 Johnf

Johnf

shrimp

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Jason here. A serious eater very frustrated with sites like yelp that have every crap restaurant as 4'stars, rated by people who seem without any sense of taste. Living I Arlington Virginia and recently eating mostly in dc due to many disappointments more locally.

#1454 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Jason here. A serious eater very frustrated with sites like yelp that have every crap restaurant as 4'stars, rated by people who seem without any sense of taste. Living I Arlington Virginia and recently eating mostly in dc due to many disappointments more locally.

Welcome, Jason. I just wrote you (before I’d realized you’d written this). You’re among friends here, and we’ll do everything we can to make feel at home here. This community consists of wonderful, educated, interesting people. I hope you stick around - you’ll find it most rewarding, I assure you. I do use Yelp as a model - a model for what not to do, their money be damned.

Cheers,

Don

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1455 MrSmithDC

MrSmithDC

• 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

I've seen this site referenced in numerous food/restaurant blogs, needed to check it out.

#1456 alpinepaq

alpinepaq

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Lyle here. DC by way of NYC, Boston, SF and other scattered spots. Home (sous) chef and enthusiastic consumer of food-related media. Critic but not cynic. Very interested in supporting local economy with my dollars and my (limited) power of persuasion.

#1457 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Lyle here. DC by way of NYC, Boston, SF and other scattered spots. Home (sous) chef and enthusiastic consumer of food-related media. Critic but not cynic. Very interested in supporting local economy with my dollars and my (limited) power of persuasion.

Welcome, Lyle.

I have a wish.

That everyone here, now that Facebook has made it feel safer to do so, will put their names in their signature file in their profiles (*). I know virtually everyone in this community (yes, thousands of you), and sometimes I forget that I'm the only one who does. I see a list of member names, and I can rattle off every single one: 'Jane Fisher from Bethesda, Steve Thompson from Arlington" (these are made-up, of course) ... but knowing the real people behind the noms de plume makes this entire forum seem like an actual town to me, rather than just a bunch of pseudonyms. 

I'll never require people to use their real names, but I wish more people would. Think about it?

(Lyle, your post has nothing to do with this, btw - it's just a convenient topic for me to write in.)

(*) 1. Go to the top-right of the screen, and click on your member name

2. Click on "My Profile"

3  On the right side of the screen, click on "Edit My Profile"

4. On the left side of that screen, click on "Signature"

5. Type whatever you want to type

6. Make sure to click on "Save Changes" when you're done

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1458 lhlofton

lhlofton

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi, first post for me.  My name is Lane and I live in DC.  Love food and finding out about new places.  I've joined Don Rockwell to hopefully learn about more obscure places, so any recs beyond the well-knowns in DC is much appreciated.  I love eating alone, so am open to good bar menus, etc.  Thanks and I look forward to getting familiar with the site! 

#1459 Bread Furst

Bread Furst

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hello Everyone, 

My name is Violeta and I will be managing Mark Furstenberg's new bakery in Van Ness called Bread Furst. We look forward to becoming part of the DC food community and sharing our delicious bread and other goodies with you starting this spring! If you want to read about the process of opening our bakery, you can follow Mark's blog at:

www.breadfurst.com

#1460 ToniBurnham

ToniBurnham

shrimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Washington Food Folks! I am so glad to meet you!

My name is Toni Burnham, and I have been a beekeeper here for about a decade. Now I am president both of the DC Beekeepers Alliance and the Maryland State Beekeepers Association. The former is only a couple of years old, the latter has been around for 106! In the past, we have shared honey with Corduroy Restaurant.

Beekeepers see ourselves as a critical part of the farm to table movement, because we both contribute to the yields that get your fruits and veggies to market, and we produce a ludicrously wonderful local honey.  Urban beekeepers are not pollinating huge crops, but we are supporting community gardens and, in several locations, kitchen gardens used by chefs.  

And that is why I am here today.

Beekeeping only became widely legal in DC last year, and we are only now graduating our first bumper crop of local beekeepers, some of whom live in condo or apartment communities where they cannot have hives. I will post on that elsewhere here, if that is OK, but you can see a link to us in today's paper:

http://www.washingto...f39c_story.html

There are really two main reasons why people are taking up beekeeping now: they want to help the environment, and they care what they put in their mouths. We are natural allies with you, and already your customers!

Cheers,

Toni

#1461 ALargeFarva

ALargeFarva

shrimp

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi, my name is Michael.  I live in the DC area and have been lurking on DonRockwell for a couple months. 

I was hooked once I tried the Laotian menu at Bangkok Golden after reading the thread on here.  Looking forward to contributing to the site and discovering some more gems.

My favorite restaurants in the area are the Inn at Little Washington, Blue Duck Tavern, Little Serow, Bourbon Steak and the Laotian menu at Bangkok Golden.  I haven't been to CityZen or Komi yet but they are on my list to knock out this year.

#1462 beerismysavior

beerismysavior

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Introducing myself...  My name is Brett and I'm the bar manager over at Republic in Takoma Park.  I'm here to learn, share stories and network with some folks in the industry.  I'm a huge beer nerd and a novice collector/advocate of fancy and rare whisk(e)y.

• DonRocks and jasonc like this

And a beer for show!

Brett A. Robison
Bar Manager at Republic

Website | Facebook | Twitter

#1463 dragonfruit

dragonfruit

• 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hello!  I'm Tas from Chevy Chase.  I grew up in the area, and can recall back to when there was a Hot Shoppes at the corner of Wisconsin Ave and East-West Hwy in Bethesda, and a Shakey's Pizza across the street (which I thought was the greatest place on earth when I was a kid)!  Dining options have sure flourished since back in the day.  Or perhaps they were always varied and good, but I didn't realize it as a 10 year old?  :) 

Looking forward to reading about all the great places I should eat in the area (and living vicariously through your experiences)!

• jasonc likes this

#1464 SarahPette

SarahPette

• 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hello all, 

My name is Sarah Pette, and I am a foodie-holic.  I'm always on the look-out for restaurants that are completely authentic - the more grandmas and grandmas' recipes in the kitchen the better.  I love fine dining too, but haven't been as blown away by area restaurants that are critically acclaimed in the Washingtonian or on Yelp, so I'm looking for another resource for recommendations.  Some of the things I'm always looking for a perfect version of are tacos al pastor, Japanese yakiniku and beef tataki, authentic Japanese ramen, authentic Neapolitan pizza, thick-cut marinated ribeyes, Korean beef anything, pad Thai, deep-fried Brussels sprouts, champagne fondue, and butter chicken.  Happy eating!

Sarah

• jasonc and dcs like this

#1465 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hello all, 

My name is Sarah Pette, and I am a foodie-holic.  I'm always on the look-out for restaurants that are completely authentic - the more grandmas and grandmas' recipes in the kitchen the better.  I love fine dining too, but haven't been as blown away by area restaurants that are critically acclaimed in the Washingtonian or on Yelp, so I'm looking for another resource for recommendations.  Some of the things I'm always looking for a perfect version of are tacos al pastor, Japanese yakiniku and beef tataki, authentic Japanese ramen, authentic Neapolitan pizza, thick-cut marinated ribeyes, Korean beef anything, pad Thai, deep-fried Brussels sprouts, champagne fondue, and butter chicken.  Happy eating!

Sarah

Welcome, Sarah! It's almost like you've picked a list of DC's Greatest Weaknesses (a couple items excluded). However, people here can direct you where to go - even if we don't have "Best Of Type" for some of these items, we do have people who really know them.

Start with Taco Bamba, and 2 Amys, Pupatella or Il Canale (all DOCG pizzas), and with Ren's Ramen, Toki Underground, or Daikaya; then, get to know Zora Margolis, Michael Landrum, grover, Cizuka Seki, fishinnards, and Sudhir Seth for advice on these particular items, or cheezepowder as your one-stop shop for just about anything. One or two of them have me completely stumped (champagne fondue, for example: I've been to Champagne, and I've been to Haute-Savoie, and I'm not even sure what champagne fondue is!) - calling Eric Ziebold. It's really a shame Chung Dai Kam closed because as far as I know, that was the only charcoal-grilled (as opposed to gas-grilled) Korean barbecue in the DC area, and it was by far the best. Honey Pig is fun and all, but if it wasn't called "Honey Pig," not as many people would rave about it (and on a similar topic, the Bon Chon Chicken in Rosslyn is nothing like what the Annandale branch used to be). As for deep-fried Brussels sprouts, well, that's one thing that a crowdsourcing of experts is really going to come in handy for - they could be just about anywhere (Paragon Thai has them in Cleveland Park, for example, but you may be looking for something more Etto-like).

Just start posting and asking questions - don't stress about titling or tagging your threads perfectly (I'm really anal about that, and usually do it myself). I also suspect you already know quite a lot about cuisine, and your knowledge will be most welcome here. You'll find people, and people will find you, and I hope you find this community to be the nicest, most knowledgable one you've come across. I'm hardly the greatest expert, but I am the moderator, and it's my job to make sure you're happy here, so please write me anytime.

Cheers,

Rocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users