1516 replies to this topic

#1501 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Wow, so many new members - welcome!  I have had a travel-heavy year and have been catching up on posts recently - I just wanted to invite all of our new members to the Fall Picnic (thread here) on September 28 at Fort Hunt Park.  It is a very casual but VERY delicious affair, where we all get together to enjoy the outdoors and each other's company.  Oh, and we eat a little, too.  :P

Betty Thurber Rhoades
http://hungrytriathlete.wordpress.com/

#1502 Eddiebosox

Eddiebosox

jumbo shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello,

My wife and I love eating and drinking our way through DC, and we have what we think are somewhat informed opinions on what we like and don’t like. But Yelp is way to juvenile and shallow a place for me, and this place seems much more informed. 

• DonRocks and Mark Dedrick like this

#1503 Mark Dedrick

Mark Dedrick

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Welcome Ed. I think you'll like it here. 

Formerly DCDuck

@markdedrick on Twitter

#1504 lmkvale

lmkvale

I Just Made My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Big fan of good food (the closer to Laurel the better), CSA's (Gorman farm) and craft beer (Jailbreak). Always looking for restaurants in the region using local products with innovative dishes incorporating ingredients normally overlooked.

I look forward to learning more from the community!

Lars

#1505 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

I want to welcome our newest member, Karen Bernard. Karen is a friend of mine from high school where she was a star softball player, and even set the Montgomery County record for the girl's 50-yard dash! She was one of the best Athletes in Junior High School ("before she realized she liked boys," her sister Diane says). Karen, it is an honor and a privilege to have you as a member here. 

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1506 joepapsu71

joepapsu71

shrimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

This is my first venture into a website like this and I am very excited.  Now that we are retired and do a fair amount of traveling this will be fun finding out about restaurants and reporting back on others.  We will also report on restaurants we frequent in Southern CA.

#1507 Shrades

Shrades

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

I have a friend who used this site to locate fine dining in Myrtle Beach, S.C. the 2 we went to were absolutely fabulous.  That made me want to join and this is the first post.  Castanos Italian Steakhouse and Midtown Bistro were some of the best restaurants I have eaten at period.  What a great site and tool to be able to use. 

#1508 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

This is my first venture into a website like this and I am very excited.  Now that we are retired and do a fair amount of traveling this will be fun finding out about restaurants and reporting back on others.  We will also report on restaurants we frequent in Southern CA.

Joe, thank you for introducing yourself. I spent a month in Los Angeles (and Laguna Beach) earlier this year, and really learned a lot about the food scene there and in Orange County. We need an expert from that part of the country - someone with real local knowledge - might it be you?

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1509 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

I have a friend who used this site to locate fine dining in Myrtle Beach, S.C. the 2 we went to were absolutely fabulous.  That made me want to join and this is the first post.  Castanos Italian Steakhouse and Midtown Bistro were some of the best restaurants I have eaten at period.  What a great site and tool to be able to use. 

Shrades, nothing makes me happier than when I hear a post such as yours. Whoever recommended those restaurants (I'm not sure who it was) had a positive impact on your life, and I wonder if people realize this when they write posts. This is what it's all about for me - making other people happy, and improving the quality of their lives. 

I saw where you're from on the Member Roster, and I hope you write about some of the restaurants in your home area. Who knows, maybe one day we'll have forums for those cities, and I might be asking you to be forum host; in the meantime, you should be able to find the correct threads in the Intrepid Traveler Forum.

Thank you Shrades, for joining, for using the website, and for posting your own thanks about Myrtle Beach. Consider sending the authors of the posts which you used a PM (Private Message) to thank them personally. Just click on the little "envelope" icon on the top-right of this screen which will take you into the "Messenger" system. This is a totally private system that administrators do not have access to, and is equivalent to sending a private email.

(One Important Warning: If anyone sends you a PM, and you receive it via email, DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL or it will go to the membership@donrockwell.com inbox - that is the one-and-only thing that keeps the system from being 100% private. A rather humorously embarrassing message was send to our poor membership director just a few days ago in this fashion - the first time that has happened in many, many months. Don't use email to reply! Use the PM system itself to reply! Only two of us (me and Pat) have access to that inbox, and honestly, neither of us care, but still, your personal messages are none of our business, and we'd like to keep it that way. There are strong warnings when you receive those emails, but people sometimes don't read them - don't use email to reply to a PM!) :)

I hope you continue to participate here - we have many "national-level" forums such as Fine Arts, News and Media, etc. We'd all love to have you participate and become a valued member of our community.

Cheers!

Rocks

#1510 dmrenaud

dmrenaud

shrimp

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

Happy to join and make my first post about a new restaurant on H St, Driftwood. Looking forward to finding new exciting places to dine in th DC area. Cheers to all.
  • Pat and JoshNE like this

#1511 AnotherJim

AnotherJim

• 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hello.  I'm just a guy who likes to cook and eat.  I'don't even live near DC, but have to travel there once in awhile, and am looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

#1512 rorkin

rorkin

Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Have made a few posts so . I bounce back between Eastern Shore and Bethesda so plan to keep updating on things on that side of the bridge.. Would also be interested in any Q joints that people feel are really up to snuff . 

#1513 cougfan95

cougfan95

• 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Happy Wednesday All! Have just joined he forum - thanks to Don et al. for creating such a great space and resource. I'm Paul and have lived in DC for the past 10 years and am a west coast kid at heart. Have enjoyed the DC dining scene since we arrived and am really happy to see the great development in the last few years in our local brewing community!

Can't wait to start posting about future adventures.

Cheers,

Paul

#1514 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Have made a few posts so . I bounce back between Eastern Shore and Bethesda so plan to keep updating on things on that side of the bridge.. Would also be interested in any Q joints that people feel are really up to snuff . 

I have not found worthy Q in DC, but Andy Nelson BBQ up in Cockeysville, MD north of Baltimore is pretty good. I understand KBQ is back open someplace in PG county (I think) and their stuff was acceptable always and sometimes worthy of note for sure.

Food.Wine.Cats.Hawaiian Shirts.Travel.Art.Music.

#1515 CanY

CanY

Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

Greetings to All,

I`m Can Y. Food industry is the reason why I`m in the United States. Born and raised in Istanbul, I enjoyed my days kicking around a worn out soccer ball in my wingtips which I wore for school and then enjoying the simple goodness of a ring-shaped bread covered with sesame seeds accompanied by short and loud sips of black tea from a slim-waisted glass. My days in Istanbul came to a conclusion as my parents decided to move to the United States to assist my Uncle with his restaurant as he was expanding his business ventures. So i traded my days of feeling the Bosphorus breeze for a kitchen located between 6th and Penn. Ave. SE, ESL classrooms, and for an (unintentional) entry to the East Coast rat race. Food industry is the reason why I`m in the United States because one day it will buy my ticket back to my new Bosphorus. 

Fast forward a few years through the family restaurant being sold, uncle and the parents retire, never ending university days, six years in the Army (active and National Guard), even more food industry experience, other business ventures, and I`m finally back on Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Our restaurant is Sushi Capitol. I strongly believe that titles in the food industry are meaningless and I inspire our employees to feel as a unit therefore I feel like I`m their Pep Guardiola, Michael Young, Piri Reis, Macgyver, and Paul Mooney.

I look forward to contributing to the DonRockwell community and flourishing the relationships I make along the way with my fellow members.

Captain of Sushi Capitol 

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." Orson Wells 

"First we eat then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher

"Americans will eat garbage provided you sprinkle it liberally with ketchup." Henry James

"Eat, drink, and enjoy." My Mom

#1516 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

and then enjoying the simple goodness of a ring-shaped bread covered with sesame seeds

There used to be a place in Fairfax called Simit and Kabob. My goodness, what they've done to that shopping center.

#1517 jensergent

jensergent

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hello all, Jen Sergent here. Native Washingtonian. I'm a writer and know a lot of people who write about food in this city, so naturally thought this is a good place to join. Thanks. -- Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users