Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Wow, so many new members - welcome!  I have had a travel-heavy year and have been catching up on posts recently - I just wanted to invite all of our new members to the Fall Picnic (thread here) on September 28 at Fort Hunt Park.  It is a very casual but VERY delicious affair, where we all get together to enjoy the outdoors and each other's company.  Oh, and we eat a little, too.  :P

Big fan of good food (the closer to Laurel the better), CSA's (Gorman farm) and craft beer (Jailbreak). Always looking for restaurants in the region using local products with innovative dishes incorporating ingredients normally overlooked.

I look forward to learning more from the community!

Lars

I want to welcome our newest member, Karen Bernard. Karen is a friend of mine from high school where she was a star softball player, and even set the Montgomery County record for the girl's 50-yard dash! She was one of the best Athletes in Junior High School ("before she realized she liked boys," her sister Diane says). Karen, it is an honor and a privilege to have you as a member here. 

I have a friend who used this site to locate fine dining in Myrtle Beach, S.C. the 2 we went to were absolutely fabulous.  That made me want to join and this is the first post.  Castanos Italian Steakhouse and Midtown Bistro were some of the best restaurants I have eaten at period.  What a great site and tool to be able to use. 

This is my first venture into a website like this and I am very excited.  Now that we are retired and do a fair amount of traveling this will be fun finding out about restaurants and reporting back on others.  We will also report on restaurants we frequent in Southern CA.

Joe, thank you for introducing yourself. I spent a month in Los Angeles (and Laguna Beach) earlier this year, and really learned a lot about the food scene there and in Orange County. We need an expert from that part of the country - someone with real local knowledge - might it be you?

I have a friend who used this site to locate fine dining in Myrtle Beach, S.C. the 2 we went to were absolutely fabulous.  That made me want to join and this is the first post.  Castanos Italian Steakhouse and Midtown Bistro were some of the best restaurants I have eaten at period.  What a great site and tool to be able to use. 

Shrades, nothing makes me happier than when I hear a post such as yours. Whoever recommended those restaurants (I'm not sure who it was) had a positive impact on your life, and I wonder if people realize this when they write posts. This is what it's all about for me - making other people happy, and improving the quality of their lives.

I saw where you're from on the Member Roster, and I hope you write about some of the restaurants in your home area. Who knows, maybe one day we'll have forums for those cities, and I might be asking you to be forum host; in the meantime, you should be able to find the correct threads in the Intrepid Traveler Forum.

Thank you Shrades, for joining, for using the website, and for posting your own thanks about Myrtle Beach. Consider sending the authors of the posts which you used a PM (Private Message) to thank them personally. Just click on the little "envelope" icon on the top-right of this screen which will take you into the "Messenger" system. This is a totally private system that administrators do not have access to, and is equivalent to sending a private email.

(One Important Warning: If anyone sends you a PM, and you receive it via email, DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL or it will go to the membership@donrockwell.com inbox - that is the one-and-only thing that keeps the system from being 100% private. A rather humorously embarrassing message was send to our poor membership director just a few days ago in this fashion - the first time that has happened in many, many months. Don't use email to reply! Use the PM system itself to reply! Only two of us (me and Pat) have access to that inbox, and honestly, neither of us care, but still, your personal messages are none of our business, and we'd like to keep it that way. There are strong warnings when you receive those emails, but people sometimes don't read them - don't use email to reply to a PM!) :)

I hope you continue to participate here - we have many "national-level" forums such as Fine Arts, News and Media, etc. We'd all love to have you participate and become a valued member of our community.

Cheers!

Rocks

Happy Wednesday All! Have just joined he forum - thanks to Don et al. for creating such a great space and resource. I'm Paul and have lived in DC for the past 10 years and am a west coast kid at heart. Have enjoyed the DC dining scene since we arrived and am really happy to see the great development in the last few years in our local brewing community!

Can't wait to start posting about future adventures.

Cheers,

Paul

Have made a few posts so . I bounce back between Eastern Shore and Bethesda so plan to keep updating on things on that side of the bridge.. Would also be interested in any Q joints that people feel are really up to snuff . 

I have not found worthy Q in DC, but Andy Nelson BBQ up in Cockeysville, MD north of Baltimore is pretty good. I understand KBQ is back open someplace in PG county (I think) and their stuff was acceptable always and sometimes worthy of note for sure.

Greetings to All,

I`m Can Y. Food industry is the reason why I`m in the United States. Born and raised in Istanbul, I enjoyed my days kicking around a worn out soccer ball in my wingtips which I wore for school and then enjoying the simple goodness of a ring-shaped bread covered with sesame seeds accompanied by short and loud sips of black tea from a slim-waisted glass. My days in Istanbul came to a conclusion as my parents decided to move to the United States to assist my Uncle with his restaurant as he was expanding his business ventures. So i traded my days of feeling the Bosphorus breeze for a kitchen located between 6th and Penn. Ave. SE, ESL classrooms, and for an (unintentional) entry to the East Coast rat race. Food industry is the reason why I`m in the United States because one day it will buy my ticket back to my new Bosphorus.

Fast forward a few years through the family restaurant being sold, uncle and the parents retire, never ending university days, six years in the Army (active and National Guard), even more food industry experience, other business ventures, and I`m finally back on Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Our restaurant is Sushi Capitol. I strongly believe that titles in the food industry are meaningless and I inspire our employees to feel as a unit therefore I feel like I`m their Pep Guardiola, Michael Young, Piri Reis, Macgyver, and Paul Mooney.

I look forward to contributing to the DonRockwell community and flourishing the relationships I make along the way with my fellow members.

Wow, since 2 years ago, I have seen this site grow and grow! good job Don! As a chef and a restaurateur, I consider this site to be the best site to get any info regarding  restaurants, good food, and chefs in DC area!!

This site has helped my career so much!

Thank you donrockwell.com

Good Morning,

My name is John and I am the owner of Glenburnie Farm Produce Co.. We grow chemical free produce in Spotsylvania County, VA on land which has been farmed by my family since prior to the Civil War. Our specialty is microgreens but we also grow a wide variety of herbs and specialty produce. We sell to restaurants in DC, Alexandria, and Fredericksburg as well as at Farmer's Markets in Dale City and Spotsylvania. Until recently our DC restaurant business had been done through a distributor (The FreshLink) but they have closed their doors so we are now dealing directly with restaurants in the "big city".

I grew up on the farm swearing I would never be a farmer as an adult and have a degree in English Literature which has never seen significant use.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the forum in a meaningful fashion. If anyone has questions regarding the agricultural end of the food chain please do not hesitate to ask.

• Like 3

Greetings all! We're really pleased to become a member of the site. We are the second distillery to open in DC and are now distributing our District Made Vodka and Rock Creek White Whiskey. We will be releasing Ivy City Gin in March. We have begun aging barrels of our Rock Creek Rye Whiskey and Rock Creek Bourbon, with other special projects, including a sherry barrel bourbon, already in the works. I'd also invite anyone who is interested to come pay us a visit during our Saturday tours and tastings hours (1-4PM every Saturday at the distillery, located at 1135 Okie Street, NE, just off NY Avenue).

I've included a quick look at our bottles and please feel free to check out our website and social media. You can sign up for our newsletter through Facebook to get the latest news on our spirits, including limited releases, and events at the distillery.

Cheers!

Sandy Wood

(CEO and Co-founder)

post-11436-0-45047900-1423149450_thumb.j

Hello! My name is Robyn and I live in Adams Morgan. I studied History and Government and Politics at the University of Maryland and now do public health policy. I love trying new restaurants, spicy food, cooking, tea, bourbon, mezcal old fashioneds, gin (but mostly just during the summer)"¦ I grew up in New England and am a huge fan of all of the craft food and drink in the region and down here in the DMV area.

Favorite splurge restaurants: Crane and Turtle, Red Hen, Little Serow, Sushi Taro (huge fan of their happy hour), Blue Duck, Vidalia, Birch and Barley, 1789

Favorite comfort food restaurants: Maple, Menomale, Room 11, Sakuramen, Toki Underground, Daikaya, Bul (new in the neighborhood), Donburi, Unum, Bub and Pop's, Greek Deli, St. Arnold's on Jefferson, Oyamel

Favorite breakfast spots: Mockingbird Hill, Blind Dog Cafe, SUNdeVICH, Little Red Fox, Glen's Garden Market

Favorite bars: Bar Pilar, Bar Charley, Bourbon (Adams Morgan), Churchkey, Columbia Room, Boundary Stone, Hank's Oyster Bar (mostly for $1 oysters, but they do have good punch), Quill (a little stuffy, but the drinks are good), Second State, Iron Gate

Bars I want to try: Dram and Grain, Wisdom, new Columbia Room location, the Rye Bar, the Gibson (going next week for my birthday!), Barmini, many, many more

Restaurants I want to try: Komi, Corduroy, Mini Bar, Rose's Luxury, Makoto (going this weekend "“ very excited!), and tons more. I want to make an effort to get into the suburbs more for ethnic food.

I've lurked for a while and decided it was time to contribute because it's been such a great resource for me.

• Like 3

Hello! My name is Robyn and I live in Adams Morgan. I studied History and Government and Politics at the University of Maryland and now do public health policy. I love trying new restaurants, spicy food, cooking, tea, bourbon, mezcal old fashioneds, gin (but mostly just during the summer)"¦ I grew up in New England and am a huge fan of all of the craft food and drink in the region and down here in the DMV area.

Favorite splurge restaurants: Crane and Turtle, Red Hen, Little Serow, Sushi Taro (huge fan of their happy hour), Blue Duck, Vidalia, Birch and Barley, 1789

Favorite comfort food restaurants: Maple, Menomale, Room 11, Sakuramen, Toki Underground, Daikaya, Bul (new in the neighborhood), Donburi, Unum, Bub and Pop's, Greek Deli, St. Arnold's on Jefferson, Oyamel

Favorite breakfast spots: Mockingbird Hill, Blind Dog Cafe, SUNdeVICH, Little Red Fox, Glen's Garden Market

Favorite bars: Bar Pilar, Bar Charley, Bourbon (Adams Morgan), Churchkey, Columbia Room, Boundary Stone, Hank's Oyster Bar (mostly for $1 oysters, but they do have good punch), Quill (a little stuffy, but the drinks are good), Second State, Iron Gate

Bars I want to try: Dram and Grain, Wisdom, new Columbia Room location, the Rye Bar, the Gibson (going next week for my birthday!), Barmini, many, many more

Restaurants I want to try: Komi, Corduroy, Mini Bar, Rose's Luxury, Makoto (going this weekend "“ very excited!), and tons more. I want to make an effort to get into the suburbs more for ethnic food.

I've lurked for a while and decided it was time to contribute because it's been such a great resource for me.

Welcome! And, really great intro! Enjoy Makoto. It's one of my faves. Your "want to try" list is a bit of a DC restaurant hall of fame. Will be great fun to check those off. Let us know how it goes.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dan. I live in Arlington, VA in the Clarendon area. Been in the area for 6+ years now (shesh!) and lived in Manhattan for 6 years before that. I've enjoyed both restaurant scenes a lot, and I also spend a lot of time cooking/baking my own food. I've even got a fun cooking/baking blog, which I haven't updated lately, since my wife and I just had a daughter in December and it's been.... busy. (If you're REALLY interested, it's at http://beardedbakerman.com/, it's really just for me and my friends -- not trying to commercial appeal or anything like that. I just enjoy making food! Hopefully I can get back to it before long.)

Also pretty into wines and craft beer.

I've lurked here from time to time, reading news about DC/NoVA restaurants. I'm sure I'll do so more regularly now that I've joined and add comment from time-to-time.

Dan

• Like 3

Pleased to meet everyone. I am Harry.

I am one of the owners of a new pizza concept called Black Iron Pizza, located in DC at 13th & E st, NW> Don recently reviewed us and I thought this board was cool and wanted to join and support.

I have owned many restaurants before although this is my first foray into DC, where I was born. Most of my restaurants were at the Delaware seashore in Rehoboth, Bethany, Lewes and Fenwick.

Also eat out a lot in the DMV area so glad to share thoughts and try new places.

Any feedback at all about Black Iron Pizza is appreciated.

Harry

• Like 3

Pleased to meet everyone. I am Harry.

I am one of the owners of a new pizza concept called Black Iron Pizza, located in DC at 13th & E st, NW> Don recently reviewed us and I thought this board was cool and wanted to join and support.

I have owned many restaurants before although this is my first foray into DC, where I was born. Most of my restaurants were at the Delaware seashore in Rehoboth, Bethany, Lewes and Fenwick.

Also eat out a lot in the DMV area so glad to share thoughts and try new places.

Any feedback at all about Black Iron Pizza is appreciated.

Harry

Welcome, Harry - I think you're going to do really well. Thanks for joining.

And you too, Kathryn! Welcome, and please *do* post about your work.

And as long as I'm at it, you too, north eazy. :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone - I'm an area native currently living in Silver Spring, but grew up in Potomac/Rockville, and also lived in Alexandria/Arlington at one point. Basically, the only place I haven't lived in is DC itself! Happy to be here - lurked for awhile, but figured it's time I start pulling my weight!

Hello everyone - I'm an area native currently living in Silver Spring, but grew up in Potomac/Rockville, and also lived in Alexandria/Arlington at one point. Basically, the only place I haven't lived in is DC itself! Happy to be here - lurked for awhile, but figured it's time I start pulling my weight!

You sound like me! Welcome jdc!

Hi, DR community!

My name is Evan Milberg. I'm an Annandale, Virginia native and a former food desk intern at Northern Virginia Magazine looking to break into DC-area food writing. Ever since my internship, I've lurked the forum for inside scoops on restaurant openings and various changes in the industry. I look forward to hopefully sharing my work with you all.

• Like 1

Hi, DR community!

My name is Evan Milberg. I'm an Annandale, Virginia native and a former food desk intern at Northern Virginia Magazine looking to break into DC-area food writing. Ever since my internship, I've lurked the forum for inside scoops on restaurant openings and various changes in the industry. I look forward to hopefully sharing my work with you all.

Hi. I'm new to DC, but old to eating. Have explored the N VA suggestions in Tyler Cowan's guide, but looking forward to finding more places-- and sharing what I've discovered.

Evan and cw, welcome to both of you. Your viewpoints would be most welcome here - we have a lot of readers, but not as many active posters as we need to keep this community vibrant - new blood is always welcome here! :)

Thank you both for joining,

Don

Evan and cw, welcome to both of you. Your viewpoints would be most welcome here - we have a lot of readers, but not as many active posters as we need to keep this community vibrant - new blood is always welcome here!  :)

Thank you both for joining,

Don

What he said.

Hello everyone,

I am Michael. Mrs. and I moved to DC almost a year ago from Florida for work; our careers were more important than the sunshine.  Love all types of food, except for bland.

Some of our favorite DC (area) restaurants are: Soi 38, Thip Khao, Bati, Salt & Pepper Grill, La Mexicana Bakery & Taqueria, Sushi Taro, Afghan Kabob House, Mari Vanna, Bankgok Golden, Mandu, Taco Bamba, Hong Kong Palace, Kaz Sushi...

Look forward to discovering great places, chatting and meeting with other food enthusiasts in the area.

Hello, I'm John. I live roughly 15 minutes outside of the city proper, in the Alexandria area near Old Town. I've been living here for 10 years but my home is still and always will be New York. Been reading DR for a while (few years) and finally got off my ass and signed up. My favorite cuisines are French, Italian, Asian (Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Chinese-American, you name it, it's all good) and, of course, American. Really I'll eat anything. Well, almost. It has to be edible. But my all-time favorite is pizza. Specifically, a classic New York style slice. If you offered me the choice of, say, a free meal at Noma or Joe's, I'd pick the latter every single time. To me, there is no greater pleasure on this earth than a perfectly charred, foldable piece of NY style pie, with that perfect balance of cheese and sauce melding together in blissful harmony.

My favorite DC restaurants are, in no particular order are: Le Diplomate, Central before it went downhill, Daikaya, Toki Underground, Donburi, Rose's Luxury, Osteria Marzano, the various Ray's establishments, Restaurant Eve and most importantly, WiseGuy's NY Pizza. It is the best pizza you can find outside of NY.

Anyway, glad to be here and to finally engage in the discussion. Beware, I have very strong feelings about pizza.

• Like 4

Hello, I'm John. I live roughly 15 minutes outside of the city proper, in the Alexandria area near Old Town. I've been living here for 10 years but my home is still and always will be New York. Been reading DR for a while (few years) and finally got off my ass and signed up. My favorite cuisines are French, Italian, Asian (Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Chinese-American, you name it, it's all good) and, of course, American. Really I'll eat anything. Well, almost. It has to be edible. But my all-time favorite is pizza. Specifically, a classic New York style slice. If you offered me the choice of, say, a free meal at Noma or Joe's, I'd pick the latter every single time. To me, there is no greater pleasure on this earth than a perfectly charred, foldable piece of NY style pie, with that perfect balance of cheese and sauce melding together in blissful harmony.

My favorite DC restaurants are, in no particular order are: Le Diplomate, Central before it went downhill, Daikaya, Toki Underground, Donburi, Rose's Luxury, Osteria Marzano, the various Ray's establishments, Restaurant Eve and most importantly, WiseGuy's NY Pizza. It is the best pizza you can find outside of NY.

Anyway, glad to be here and to finally engage in the discussion. Beware, I have very strong feelings about pizza.

I love NY style pizza, too. Welcome aboard!

Tried Puputella's pizzas yet? More Italian pizza than NY, but it is great. I just wish it was in MD instead of NoVa.

• Like 1

I love NY style pizza, too. Welcome aboard!

Tried Puputella's pizzas yet? More Italian pizza than NY, but it is great. I just wish it was in MD instead of NoVa.

I have! Puputella is excellent for what it is but honestly Neapolitan is just not what comes to mind when I think of pizza. It's great but give me a NY slice any day.

• Like 1

I have! Puputella is excellent for what it is but honestly Neapolitan is just not what comes to mind when I think of pizza. It's great but give me a NY slice any day.

The great thing is, there is a lot of different styles of pizza, and there are great purveyors, here and around the world, of all of them for fans of each style to dig in to and love.

Welcome, JSnake!

Hello, my name is Mike. I am a native Washingtonian. I enjoy eating out with my girlfriend (eatruneat), drinking, and cooking. My favorite places in DC are Wise Guys Pizza, Sundevich, Sushi Capitol, Izakaya Seki, and the Partisan but only for the charcuterie these days. You can usually find me enjoying a beer and shot of whiskey at Sixth Engine or A&D. Looking forward to giving my very strong opinions about eating and drinking establishments in the area. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I spent years picking you all out of the crowd from behind the bar at CityZen then sometimes I'd get the feeling a Don Rockwellian was ordering a NY Strip from me at BLT.

MY NAME is Scott or Skip depending who introduced you to me. I am the tall original bar tender from CityZen.

I don't work in the restaurant business anymore save for an odd party here and there. I still love it but with a family now I cannot work that schedule.

I am happy to be here!

Best,

Scott

• Like 2

Hi, I'm Kim. I'm not in the restaurant industry, but I love to eat and learn about food. I don't get to eat out as much as I used to since having a baby last year, so I'll mostly be living vicariously through everyone else on this board. When I do get to eat out I like to really make it count, so I'll probably be looking here for recommendations. I've read the Chowhound DC boards for many years (though I have to admit I don't post very often) and finally decided to set up an account here after seeing a link to an interesting discussion.

• Like 1