Chicken-Fried Steak

The great state of Oklahoma will celebrate its Centennial birthday on Nov. 16. A group of displaced Oklahomans want to mark the day by having a celebratory luncheon at a restaurant that makes a respectable Chicken Fried Steak. Any recommendations, especially those in the District, would be appreciated.

The great state of Oklahoma will celebrate its Centennial birthday on Nov. 16. A group of displaced Oklahomans want to mark the day by having a celebratory luncheon at a restaurant that makes a respectable Chicken Fried Steak. Any recommendations, especially those in the District, would be appreciated.
Back in the day, Ben's Chili Bowl and the Florida Avenue Grill used to serve them up.

I noticed it on the American City Diner menu this weekend. Online version of menu confirms it:

http://www.americancitydiner.com/

Man, that is one annoying web site.

On a higher level, what is generally meant by chicken-fried steak? When I was a child, a dish of that name was in my mother's dinner rotation. It consisted of round steak, pounded with a meat mallet within an inch of its life, dredged in seasoned flour, and fried in fat. I don't remember for sure what kind of fat she used, but it was probably bacon fat. That's it, no "country gravy", whatever that is, or "cream gravy" which seems to be a hallmark of the dish in the south. Since a steak prepared this way makes no dripping of any consequence, I don't know what you'd make "gravy" out of anyway. I still make my mother's version, and in fact I had it for dinner last night. (I fried in peanut oil.) What is the general understanding of what constitutes chicken-fried steak?

Man, that is one annoying web site.

On a higher level, what is generally meant by chicken-fried steak? When I was a child, a dish of that name was in my mother's dinner rotation. It consisted of round steak, pounded with a meat mallet within an inch of its life, dredged in seasoned flour, and fried in fat. I don't remember for sure what kind of fat she used, but it was probably bacon fat. That's it, no "country gravy", whatever that is, or "cream gravy" which seems to be a hallmark of the dish in the south. Since a steak prepared this way makes no dripping of any consequence, I don't know what you'd make "gravy" out of anyway. I still make my mother's version, and in fact I had it for dinner last night. (I fried in peanut oil.) What is the general understanding of what constitutes chicken-fried steak?

This is a pretty solid article from Robb Walsh in Houston about CFS.

This is a pretty solid article from Robb Walsh in Houston about CFS.

Been there, had that, as little person. Yes to the bacon fat. The "gravy" was a simple milk reduction over heat "scrapping" up the "bits leftover. Milk gravy, staple of many cooks, in many countries. The biscuits were doable though (from a wood-burning stove- but hard as a rock).

Robert Clair

Alexandria, va 22308

Been there, had that, as little person. Yes to the bacon fat. The "gravy" was a simple milk reduction over heat "scrapping" up the "bits leftover. Milk gravy, staple of many cooks, in many countries. The biscuits were doable though (from a wood-burning stove- but hard as a rock).

Robert Clair

Alexandria, va 22308

... sorry, forgot to mention the flour part, salt and pepper were optional (since we didn't have any).

Also there was a "battle of the bands" back then ... would the green beans who had been setting on a hot stove all day, survive the bacon. Hint: the green beans always lost.

The cornbread always came out like lead as well. And yes, we pray to the "potato" gods today for the abuse inflicted on the red pots, just taken from the field that am (as were everyting else), boiled to hell and back.

What the f...k we're they thinking back then ... and why are some of us still here. And don't get me started on seatbelts. Seatbelts! What are seatbelts?

RC-

I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I am Ben. I was looking for a place in DC that served Chicken Fried Steak or Country Fried Steak and was told that this was the site to visit. Outside of Cracker Barrel my strongest lead for Chicken Fried Steak is Mad Hatter. Regardless, I'm looking forward to turning to this site for advice on noshing, eating and dining in DC! I'll add my opinion when I can.
If you can avail yourself a trip to the close-in suburbs, Southside 815 in Alexandria has a decent example, also King Street Blues serves an example that, but for the lack of seasoning in the gravy, is better than Cracker Barrel. You may also want to try the Florida Avenue Grill, I know that they have fried pork chops so they might have Chicken Fried Steak as well. I have had it elsewhere but right now those are the only places that come to mind.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am remiss in not reporting Sooner (pun intended). Mr. RJ Cooper from the fabulous Vidalia kindly stepped up to the plate for the Chicken Fried Steak Challenge! RJ took the situation personnally in hand and the results were amazing! What a terrific experience for the Oklahomans who were needing a taste of home to celebrate the state's centinnial. RJ prepared a family-style spread with some of the most exquisitely prepared chicken fried steak ever! It was a VERY memorable experience for those who attended. Thanks RJ!

I guess this clown writer knows something we don't.

Washington DC is a middle-class town filled with middle-class tastes. That explains the 45 minute wait at the Cheesecake Factory and why chicken fried steak is a daily special every day, everywhere.

I wonder if the Post's wine columnists are now doing a DC travel blog for Gridskpper.

I guess this clown writer knows something we don't.

I wonder if the Post's wine columnists are now doing a DC travel blog for Gridskpper.

Let the canards fly, and long may the travel honchos from NYC and LA continue to send tourists to the tourist traps. So locals won't have to compete with them for tables at the really good places. God forbid that one of them starts waxing ecstatic about Michael Landrum's joints. You MUST go to Ben's Chili Bowl---otherwise you'll miss out on the best of Washington DC!

Do you all remember back in the day when I put chix fried steak on the Vidalia lunch menu!!!

chix fried steak + robuchon potatoes + wild mushroom gravy + sunny side egg   I would run it during truffle season and shaved more blacks during lunch then dinner.

peace from music city 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I took my assistant and a paralegal to FF for lunch today.  The chicken fried steak was dreadful - flavorless hunk of meat topped with equally bland gravy.  

Was it ground, or a solid hunk of beef? Often, Chicken Fried Steak has a semi-ground, almost kubideh-kabob-like texture (that's when it scares me the most).

How do they get that texture - ground, then pressed?

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Was it ground, or a solid hunk of beef? Often, Chicken Fried Steak has a semi-ground, almost kubideh-kabob-like texture (that's when it scares me the most).

Generally just a cube steak that's been tenderized to the super soft texture.

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Solid and it was tough, not nearly perforated enough.

8 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Solid and it was tough, not nearly perforated enough.

2 hours ago, mtureck said:

Generally just a cube steak that's been tenderized to the super soft texture.

mtureck, do you know this for a fact, or is this an educated guess? It sounds plausible and correct.

Houston is a haven for CFS, traditional and non.  One of our neighborhood Vietnamese joints has a very respectable version that is served traditionally (as in cream gravy, mashed potatoes) or with spring rolls and fried rice.  It's quite good, but what I really love, and suggest everyone who comes through Houston make a point of trying is the masala chicken fried steak at Himalaya.  It's not on the menu, but ask and you shall receive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I had CFS at Hickory Hollow and didn't think much of it.  When I was a kid, McDonald's had chicken fried steak biscuits that were pretty darn good.

Why on Earth were you eating at Hickory Hollow?

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, RJ Cooper said:

Do you all remember back in the day when I put chix fried steak on the Vidalia lunch menu!!!

chix fried steak + robuchon potatoes + wild mushroom gravy + sunny side egg   I would run it during truffle season and shaved more blacks during lunch then dinner.

peace from music city 

I remember the CFS on the Gypsy Soul brunch menu at one point, and it was pretty much as described above.  Delicious.  My son and I each had it, and it came up in conversation at dinner at Founding Farmers a couple of weeks ago, when I was grumbling about how bad their rendition is.  Ted's Bulletin also has a pretty mediocre version.

Possibly the best traditional one I ever had was indeed in Houston--some 35 years ago at the company cafeteria at Fluor Corporation!