cheezepowder

Piratz Tavern, Downtown Silver Spring - Rrrrr You Ready? It's Back! Owners Tracy and Juciano Rebelo - Closed Apr 4, 2015

91 posts in this topic

We probably don't really really want to know what's pirates ate. :) Best to settle for some wings.
Parrot wings?

We probably don't really really want to know what's pirates ate.
If they had salad dressing, I bet that it was something simple...like oil and vinegarrrrrrr.

If a pirate's favorite color is arrrrrange

And a pirate's favorite socks are arrrgyle

What's a pirate's favorite fast food joint?

If a pirate's favorite color is arrrrrange

And a pirate's favorite socks are arrrgyle

What's a pirate's favorite fast food joint?

Arrrrrrrrrby's, of course.
No matey, Long John Silver!

I was going to say AAARRRRTHURRRR TRRRREACHERRRRRS.

i would arrrrrgue that this is the best chat on the entire drrrrrrrrrr.com website (for the moment). next up - Talk Like the MoviePhone Guy Day -- that would be marrrrrrrrrrrvelous. hilarrrrrious indeed.

Anyone know if Piratz Tavern is open yet? Or when it will open?

I thirdhandedly heard (don't ask) that they had a private opening party this past Tuesday, so the real opening is likely not far off.

Er, yarrr. & the like.

I know, it's a gimmick from the start but, I wanted to get in touch with my inner pirate. Boy, did I learn a lesson about pirates. They rob you, it's what they do. From terrible service, to the worst meal I have ever choked down, this place was completely authentic. Inedible potato and chorizo soup was served straight from the microwave, inconsistantly heated and all. Some sort of stew that trauma has flushed from memory was equally terrible. A tomato mozzarella sandwich was the highlight and, when I say highlight I mean, I had a second bite. Being in the restaurant biz, it's hard to be negative about someone else's project. Authentic it is, edible it is not. Maybe therepy can help me move past this but, I know I will never look at pirates the same again.

We took the kids there once, because Ian loves pirates. The service was so dreadful, and the food so mediocre, that it wasn't even worth posting about. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

We took the kids there once, because Ian loves pirates. The service was so dreadful, and the food so mediocre, that it wasn't even worth posting about. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Poor service? That implies that you get service. We curiously stopped in one weekend night on the way to QH and milled around by the bar for about 10 minutes hoping the employee seated on a stool by the door would signal someone to come man the bar. When we finally just asked we got an eye roll and he went out to the patio to get the bartender who had been having a smoke. I don't know if she was unpleasant because she had to give up her cig or because the corset was choking her will to live but she was extremely um, unpleasant.

Anyways the 2 girls ordered hard cider which was taken right out of a case sitting on the floor behind the bar (with some other unopened cases of bottled beers). They were, obviously, room temp so thinking that they had just been delivered or brought up from the back or something the girls asked if they could get something else while they cooled off in the fridge. The bartender had already started heading back out to the patio and said, without breaking stride, "that is how we serve them here." Um, ok cool. (And just for some context it was about 85 degrees and we were headed to the patio) She was already out the door by the time we decided to just try pouring it over ice. We asked a random bus boy that was cleaning up the tables in front for a cup of ice and he got it right away (in hindsight I wished I would have tipped him instead)

It was also kind of awkward when we went out to sit on the, rather small, patio and she was like ten feet away from us recounting the story to some of her friends explaining why she had to leave a few minutes ago. They were all looking over at us. I think my brother actually waved. Probably close to the worse treatment I have received in a bar (well, that didn't immediately follow a slurred proposition anyways). We took a few sips and finished on to our original destination never to return again.

Lest any of you think that I am not telling you about something rude we did, my brother and I (2nd generation lifelong restuarant employees) are probably 2 of the most easy going bar/restaurant customers you can find. We didn't make any rude comments or anything like that and even apologized when she first came inside for interrupting her smoke break. It was just really out of the blue.

1 person likes this

Went to this place based on a recommendation from the bartender at McGinty House... let me just say WEIRD! I think the people working and hanging out actually thought they were pirates. But my husband enjoyed the "grog" (some type of rum drink).

It hasn't gotten any better. Took the girls back in June. They had read a pirate story and wanted to reward reading something new by relating it to real life. They did get a kick out of the costumes, but really a yucky place.

Everyone seemed to be having a good time when we stopped by briefly this afternoon -- pirates and customers alike. I didn't get to try the food, but it all seemed to be being made fresh and to order -- maybe things have improved since it first opened? At least on this dreary day, it was an entertaining place to spend some time.

I promised my wife and kids we could try this place. Friends of our recenly recommended it. Has anyone visited it in the past year? Has anything improved?

Their Facebook page says that they're closing for a week to film for Spike's Bar Rescue show. I've never seen the show, but I gather that it's a bar-centric version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. So that's......encouraging?

Their Facebook page says that they're closing for a week to film for Spike's Bar Rescue show. I've never seen the show, but I gather that it's a bar-centric version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. So that's......encouraging?

So THAT'S why I've seen so many peg-legged cameramen around there (the eye patch doesn't work too well for them)!!!

It certainly can't get any worse than it is now...

Walking by there after work tonight, the sign has been yanked down, so I think the chances of Piratz Tavern re-opening under that name are slim to none (which is totally unsurprising now that I've seen the show - Jon Taffer has changed the names of about 70% of the bars he's worked with).

I don't know that the re-do will help them succeed long-term, but I give them credit where credit is due - even if it's just out of morbid curiosity, I will probably find myself heading in there shortly after they open back up, whereas I had no plans to ever step back into Piratz Tavern otherwise.