Piratz Tavern, Downtown Silver Spring - Rrrrr You Ready? It's Back! Owners Tracy and Juciano Rebelo - Closed Apr 4, 2015

Well, I can document it further by saying I heard a very credible rumor that Piratz Tavern may soon be walking the plank.

Which is none too shocking if the preview clip is accurate in saying the ownership was $900,000 in the hole BEFORE all of this mess.

I watched the show tonight just for some entertainment. I remember going there once with the kids about five years ago, think it looked like the same dump I never wanted to go back to.

Sounds like the owner got what she wanted and the hell with the money, what is a million dollars between friends - lol

I watched the show tonight just for some entertainment. I remember going there once with the kids about five years ago, think it looked like the same dump I never wanted to go back to.

Sounds like the owner got what she wanted and the hell with the money, what is a million dollars between friends - lol

Tim Carman was right on the money with his description in the link above: "It’s a multiple car wreck of a show, and you won’t be able to stop watching." That show was something else.

I like the way the producers made sure to point out in the text followup on the screen at the end of the show that the owner and her husband were still living in her parents' basement. Zing. What I wanted to know was if they kept the new chef. If that was mentioned, I missed it.

For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for Robert Irvine, and I think he and Restaurant Impossible would have done a better job with this. Maybe that's just my bias, though. It seems like it would have made much more sense to keep the pirate theme in some fashion while updating the decor, cutting the food menu down, rethinking some of the drinks, putting in a new chef, and giving extra training to the staff rather than to upend the entire operation completely and change to such a radically different concept. Okay, maybe it was a little overly, uh, idiosyncratic going in, but turning it into a generic small plates restaurant with a "corporate" theme was unnecessary. It's hard to tell with these shows and the way they're edited, but it seemed like the biggest challenge was improving the professionalism of the staff.

I say all this having never been there. The pirate theme doesn't appeal to me, but it seems possible to refine the concept in such a way that people who like the theme will have a good time and people who aren't interested in it won't be turned off.

• Like 1

Yeah Jon Taffer was more roided out than normal on that episode. Nevertheless I think it was pretty clear that owner was firmly entrenched in her fantasy land and Pope JP II wouldn't have changed her mind. Obviously this crosses the "none of your business" line but you've got to wonder how one eyed Mike weathered the abrupt transition back to fantasy land after getting a glimpse of professionalism.

Take this for what it's worth:

http://k23detectives.com/2012/09/23/piratz-tavern-bar-resue/

Depending on which parts are credible, it makes one reconsider a great many things about the taping. (Although not the part about Taffer. He comes across as a whole bag of tools.)

I don't think it is worth a whole lot...

Of course the show is edited and I don't doubt that some of renovation was 'fast and dirty'. I've also always understood that the people for the stress test and the grand reopening are 'staged' and might be there for free. They are designed to fill the place and push it.

One other point was that they told Piratz to be closed the night the crew showed up and then only let in those that wandered in - so of course it looked closed. Well - what else would is there to do? If they pack the place with friends and family who want to be on TV, it isn't a "real" night, is it? And for a place to be successful, it has to rely on impulse decisions.

The rest of the stuff seems like either opinion ("the fish sandwich wasn't that bad") or is pretty irrelevant.

Having said all that, I hope the show breaks the mold a little bit or it'll die. Maybe come into a place and say "you do have a good thing started, let's do some marketing" or something like that. They don't all have to be yell-destroy-rebuild-hug plots.

I'd like to see one of the shows, for instance, do a breakdown of how some specific element works. So for instance, a recent episode has a "shot chair" that makes money. How are they sold/promoted? Tracked? How profitable is it, and how might the profit be improved? That could be a 10 min segment, maybe as part of a re-visit to that bar. He might also just visit some of his successes and review what makes them tick. I get that the yelling makes the show...but...

They could take a page from "deadliest catch" and do at least some of the shows each season that are out of the mold.

I don't doubt that there's plenty that's exaggerated and/or made up about the show, but I don't buy much of what's posted there, especially when the ownership clearly has an axe to grind against the show. Everything is and was going fine for the restaurant? Great! Then why did you go on the show? Even if they thought that they could have a chance to simply improve, not overhaul, the business, it's on ownership for not realizing that a show called "Bar Rescue" might take more drastic measures. And that's assuming they didn't exaggerate the business' troubles for the audition process.

One thing that definitely wasn't exaggerated by the Bar Rescue crew? That Piratz consistently puts out some of the worst food, worst drinks and worst service in Silver Spring. If they're not drowning in debt, and aren't as operationally inept as the show made them out to seem, good for them. It just makes it that much more inexcusable that they're so completely awful in every other aspect.

• Like 1

Jon Taffer did an AMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1nnxpm/i_am_jon_taffer_host_of_bar_rescue_and/

On Piratez:  I did not like those people, candidly. And I did not enjoy one minute that I was there.

Luddite that I am, I'd never heard of an "AMA" before just now, and am still not sure what it is. I hate to say it, but I also don't know what Reddit is, although I've certainly seen the word a million times, and I suspect I'll find out before the end of this evening.

The point I wish to make is that Mr. Taffer seems to be conspicuously ducking this question. While I didn't see the show, I can honestly say that when I heard that someone was trying to name this place "Corporate Bar," I, too, thought it was a joke. It's the worst idea I've ever heard of. I hope he addresses this question because it is legit - the idea of "Corporate Bar" is so outlandishly terrible that it casts doubt on his qualifications as a bar-image-redo consultant or whatever he is, regardless of what his track record might be.

• Like 1

Luddite that I am, I'd never heard of an "AMA" before just now, and am still not sure what it is. I hate to say it, but I also don't know what Reddit is, although I've certainly seen the word a million times, and I suspect I'll find out before the end of this evening.

The point I wish to make is that Mr. Taffer seems to be conspicuously ducking this question. While I didn't see the show, I can honestly say that when I heard that someone was trying to name this place "Corporate Bar," I, too, thought it was a joke. It's the worst idea I've ever heard of. I hope he addresses this question because it is legit. The idea of "Corporate Bar" is so outlandishly terrible that it casts doubt on his qualifications as a bar-image-redo consultant or whatever he is, regardless of what his track record might be.

Corporate is an anagram, mebbe?

(mmm)

(re: rat coop)

(par eco rot)

Just from having watched a few episodes of 'Bar Rescue', I'm more of a fan of Jon Taffer, rather than most of these loser bar owners. Sure, he comes in at the end, when most of them are past the point of no return, but if you can't make a bar profitable, you really do need help. His makeover of this particular bar was misguided, but the owners seemed like total tools, who didn't think they needed help, & just wanted to play 'piratz'. He seems to want to have grownups run the bar, which is counter to 99% of these places-hey, it's reality tv, we get to watch someone else screw up.....(going off to bed now, I'm becoming a curmudgeon/ re: rat coop).

• Like 1

AMA=Ask Me Anything

If you read through the whole thing, Piratz was obviously the lowest point of his career.  He really doesn't like those people.

Do you think he did it out of spite? If so, isn't this like an upstanding citizen doing everything in life correctly, except that he once murdered a person?

Do you think he did it out of spite? If so, isn't this like an upstanding citizen doing everything in life correctly, except that he once murdered a person?

I have no idea.  He didn't answer any questions about "Corporate" so maybe.

He often talks about how he's often fixing the people first, then the bar.  And he also mentioned how this was the worst episode.  So I believe it was an attempt to hand to the owner a new start, a completely opposite approach.

As for the wisdom of the name - I have no problem with it.  I've worked in about 200 bars (yes, literally) and so long as the name doesn't misrepresent (ie, it says sports but then is not) - then it can work.  And if it gets people talking, then even better.  And I've seen successful places that catered to the young professional looking for a grown-up outing without velvet ropes and VIP rooms.  Corporate Bar would not have failed based solely on the name.

The point I wish to make is that Mr. Taffer seems to be conspicuously ducking this question. While I didn't see the show, I can honestly say that when I heard that someone was trying to name this place "Corporate Bar," I, too, thought it was a joke. It's the worst idea I've ever heard of. I hope he addresses this question because it is legit - the idea of "Corporate Bar" is so outlandishly terrible that it casts doubt on his qualifications as a bar-image-redo consultant or whatever he is, regardless of what his track record might be.

And I'd say he ducks the question as it doesn't make sense.  The restaurant business, and maybe more so the bar business, is made on reputation and word-of-mouth.  You've got to have something memorable, unique, etc.  This one is pure contradiction...maybe like Quench as a name for a place to go eat.  Heck - it has us talking about the name despite the bar only existing with that name for what...a few days?!?

Taffer was well known in the bar industry long before his show.  Consulting wise, he doesn't do anything outrageous.  He does focus on the one thing that bar owners notoriously lack - solid business approaches and the basic blocking and tackling of operating a successful bar.  Like or hate him, I don't know of another show on TV that could teach more to a bar/restaurant owner about getting up tomorrow and making more money.   The chef shows all seem to revolve around making better food or having a better kitchen, while Taffer is about operations and ringing the register.

And I'd say he ducks the question as it doesn't make sense.  The restaurant business, and maybe more so the bar business, is made on reputation and word-of-mouth.  You've got to have something memorable, unique, etc.  This one is pure contradiction...maybe like Quench as a name for a place to go eat.  Heck - it has us talking about the name despite the bar only existing with that name for what...a few days?!? 

It's not the name change that brought this attention; it's the name change amplified by *the TV show*. Of that, I'm certain. I suspect that, without the TV show, I wouldn't have heard of either Piratz Tavern or Corporate Tavern.

If I ever get a TV show, God help everyone.

Interesting this thread is rejuvenated.  When we first moved to our new house just across from Silver Spring on the DC side, we were actually excited to see Piratz Tavern. At the time, we had a relatively newborn daughter that we figured would enjoy the pirate theme eventually. also remembering my childhood trip through the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney.

So once we figured she was old enough to enjoy it, we ventured in. Decor was as expected, Pirate kitsch. Waiter was the goofy guy featured a lot on the show and seemed to genuinely enjoy entertaining our daughter. We went during happy hour when all appetizers were 1/2 price so we ordered everything. Everything SUCKED big time. Majority of it was inedible. I had a beer, but my wife tried the grog, which she barely drank.

Fast forward a couple years to when we're driving by and notice the place is closed then suddenly re-branded a couple days later as the Corporate Board. We thought it was interesting, but what the heck is up with the name. Was it some sort of exclusive club for old white guys into weird hazing rituals? We really thought it was a private club of some sort. Then we were further surprised to see it back to Piratz Tavern. I don't think we ever actually sawit open for business under that moniker.

The Thai restaurant, Charm located next door is actually one of our daughters favorite restaurants so we go by their pretty often and they do typically have some business, so perhaps they are just barely staying afloat.

I really think the bar rescue show screwed up in that I think a pirate themed restaurant/bar could be really successful if it did have edible food. The poor service to me is forgivable if done with a smile and some pirate bravado. You don't go to a place like that for great service, or even great food, but the food at least needs to be edible.

I really think the bar rescue show screwed up in that I think a pirate themed restaurant/bar could be really successful if it did have edible food. The poor service to me is forgivable if done with a smile and some pirate bravado. You don't go to a place like that for great service, or even great food, but the food at least needs to be edible.

The show's host has said many times that he believes any theme can succeed if well executed.  I believe he would agree with you.  His attempt was not to save a pirate's theme place, rather to save the business interests of the owners - which was the purpose of Piratz reaching out to the show's producers in the first place.

Most of the episodes of that show result in only tweaks to the owner's original concept.  Radical changes are introduced only when the host believes the owners aren't capable of making their original concept a success.  That was the case here - he saw the owners/employees using the pirate theme as a crutch/excuse, not as a way to profitability (which comes primarily from satisfied customers).

BTW, there's a very successful, high volume restaurant in Myrtle Beach with a pirate theme called Key West Grill.  Their food is edible and serves as evidence that you are right - there's nothing wrong with a pirate theme per se.

We went during happy hour when all appetizers were 1/2 price so we ordered everything. Everything SUCKED big time. Majority of it was inedible. I had a beer, but my wife tried the grog, which she barely drank.

Exactly my opinion on my one visit there (friends were playing music). The food was not even TGIF or bar food quality. It was atrocious.