Road Food Going North on 95

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I need to drive from MoCo through Baltimore to Whiteford, MD (almost in Pennsylvania), and back, a trip I make several times a year. Where the heck can I go for lunch?! Here's the catch: I'll be driving a large pickup truck with a trailer hanging off the back. This really limits where I can go. Not that I can't back the trailer up, but it causes much anxiety. So: is there any place along the way, with ample pull-through parking, to get a decent bite to eat? Hint: After last week's trip, Andy Nelson's is out. :blink: Even though dry rub ribs an' sweet tea make good truckin' food.

Well from what I can tell you will be passing through my hometown, Bel Air. We've got just about every chain restaurant known to man. But there are two places on Main Street that are pretty good. I believe there are some parking garages and lots nearby that you can go to for parking, but somehow I have a feeling they may have those concrete blocks in front of them.

My favorite place is Savona. It's just a small Italian deli with some great prosciutto and mozzarella sandwiches. Menu and address here.

There's also Carried Away Gourmet, run by a Johnson and Wales graduate. Seasonal menu, and I love their crab soup, although their soup of the day tomorrow looks to be cream of crab.

I also like the sandwiches at Thomas Street Cafe on Thomas Street. When I moved away I think they were doing some transitioning, so I don't know how good it is still. But it was a sweet sort of place that had the impatient sandwich maker who was a little soup nazi-like, but everyone else is very nice. One of their specials was amazing - roast beef, cheddar, caramelized onions and horseradish - best with whole wheat.

If you want some good coffee, there's DeDannan's which is also on Main Street.

For further up 95- exit 80 onto 543/riverside pkwy- go west 1/2 mile to the Klein's shopping center to try Riverside Pizzeria (near the Waffle house). They have a surprisingly good crabcake. I think they are the same folks who run Box Hill Pizzeria- known as the best crabcake in Harford county.

Parking is no sweat.

For further up 95- exit 80 onto 543/riverside pkwy- go west 1/2 mile to the Klein's shopping center to try Riverside Pizzeria (near the Waffle house). They have a surprisingly good crabcake. I think they are the same folks who run Box Hill Pizzeria- known as the best crabcake in Harford county.

Parking is no sweat.

Yeah I think there's some easy parking at Box Hill Pizzeria, which is right off of Rt. 924. It's an alternate to Rt. 24, so that should also be on your way to Whiteford.

Yeah I think there's some easy parking at Box Hill Pizzeria, which is right off of Rt. 924. It's an alternate to Rt. 24, so that should also be on your way to Whiteford.

Actually exit 80/543 is the route I take, but then I get on 136 - it's more direct to where I'm going. Not that I mind a detour for chow, mind you.

Is Bull on the Run the place in Halthorpe?

I can't give you food advice but I can give you trailer advice, because I drive a dually and a 40 foot horse trailer all the freaking time. :blink:

Banks on weekends are THE place to park your trailer. Grocery stores are a good second.

I would check Holly Eats or the Road Food people's web site, too.

When I was a little kid, my mother took me and my pony to a horse show in her new trailer for the first time. At the gate, the guy said, "Just go around here, lady, and back it in there."

"Oh," says she, "I don't back up." :P

(I do.) ;)

Actually exit 80/543 is the route I take, but then I get on 136 - it's more direct to where I'm going. Not that I mind a detour for chow, mind you.

Is Bull on the Run the place in Halthorpe?

That's the one. About a block east of 95 just off Washington.

Thanks for all the recs, y'all. Way behind schedule, too tired to think clearly, I went for nostalgia and went to Roy Rogers and Cinnabon at Maryland House. It's been ages and ages since I ate that crap. For some reason it sounded good at the time. :blink: It'll probably be another decade or so before I do that again. Next time I make that trip, pit beef it is.

Thanks for all the recs, y'all. Way behind schedule, too tired to think clearly, I went for nostalgia and went to Roy Rogers and Cinnabon at Maryland House. It's been ages and ages since I ate that crap. For some reason it sounded good at the time. :blink: It'll probably be another decade or so before I do that again. Next time I make that trip, pit beef it is.

Not all Roy's are so bad. There are basically two types of Roy Rogers restaurants. The remaining Roy Rogers traditional-type places scattered around Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic are are mostly affiliated with the Plamondon brother's company "Roy Rogers Franchises Inc." They are worthwhile for what they are--those are the places to go for nostalgia. The Roy Rogers operations in service plazas along I-95, the Penn Tpk., etc., owned by the old Host Marriott which was acquired in 1999 by Italy-based Autogrill S.p.A., well, not so much......... At those you can expect a typical turnpike plaza "dining experience."

The Roy Rogers operations in service plazas along I-95, the Penn Tpk., etc., owned by the old Host Marriott which was acquired in 1999 by Italy-based Autogrill S.p.A., well, not so much......... At those you can expect a typical turnpike plaza "dining experience."
The Roys at the first rest stop on New York State Thruway heading north is particularly bad. I would rank it as the worst meal I have had this year. It certainly stands in contrast to the roast beef I had at the Leesburg location.

This scenario repeats itself endlessly!

1) Person X asks a question about where to eat

2) 20 people reply

3) A week later, Person X follows up with, "Our plans sorta changed, so we ended up going to Olive Garden last minute." :P

Roy Rogers and Cinnabon?! Have you no shame?!? I hope you forgot to fill your tank and ran out of gas on the Tidings Bridge! Jeez!!

The food is perfectly fine if you're in the area, but nothing to write Jane and Michael Stern about. Crab soup sure did hit the spot.
Agreed.

And no problem. BTW, last time I was in town I noticed the good coffee shop (DeDannans) in town changed hands or at least names. Shamrock sounds a bit too close to Starbucks for me.

Well, I can tell you guys where NOT to go: Nonnie's Brick Oven in Havre de Grace.

Brick-oven pizzas in the "Old Country Style," one website says. Puh-leeze!

It isn't so much that Nonnie's is bad; it's no worse than any of the thousands of mom-n-pop pizzerias littering the landscape of New Jersey - but I have to think we can plot some more interesting culinary dots in northeastern Maryland than this.

Well, I can tell you guys where NOT to go: Nonnie's Brick Oven in Havre de Grace.

Brick-oven pizzas in the "Old Country Style," one website says. Puh-leeze!

It isn't so much that Nonnie's is bad; it's no worse than any of the 2,000 mom-n-pop pizzerias littering the landscape of New Jersey - but I have to think we can plot some more interesting culinary dots in northeastern Maryland than this.

Frankly, I'd kill for a few of those NJ mom n' pop Pizza joints here in DC.