My sister just moved from Alexandria VA to Lusby (she jokes that she's a Lusbian now) MD way down near Solomon's. I'll need to visit of course, so I must find some decent places to eat nearby. I've tried a BBQ joint or two on the way down towards that area, but haven't found much else.

Is there anything to recommend?

I haven't been is a good while, but a friend from "The County"-- i.e. St. Mary's --always takes us to Capt. Leonards. It is a crab place-- the three best things there are their steamed crabs, crab cakes, and jumbo fried shrimp. It is very casual and fun. It is on a main road, NOT on the water. You can also get steamed crabs to go, which we sometimes do.

Captain Leonard's Seafood Restaurant

27240 Morganza Turner Road

Mechanicsville, MD 20650

301-884-3701

FYI, I also found this about it in the Washington Post: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/19/AR2005041905124.html)

Capt. Leonard's Seafood Market ( 27240 Morganza Turner Rd., Mechanicsville, 301-884-3701) serves steamed crabs and everything else on the brown paper-covered tables that fill this roadhouse. On a Saturday night, it seems everyone heads for Capt. Leonard's: families with small children, bikers, yuppies and singles. My favorite item on the menu, the captain's fried large shrimp basket, will remind you how fried shrimp is supposed to taste.

Cheers,

Liz

I've lived in SMD for about 20 years, pretty much a culinary wasteland. However, we had dinner at The Westlawn Inn in North Beach on Saturday night - a great improvement over most places down here. The menu leans toward southern foods, and the wine list is small but better than most in the area. I believe they won some type of best restaurant award. The Old Field Inn in Prince Frederick is doable also. Stoney's in Broome's Island (don't go to the one in the shopping center in Pr. Fred.) has awesome crabcakes. Of course there's Vera's in Lusby on the water - it's worth the trip for the decor if not the food. Solomon's Islands doesn't offer too much - except for the Tiki Bar if you want a watered down mai tai - which many do; most of the island is closed to drivers on opening day! Of course, if you want steamed crabs, I'm sure there are plenty of places (such as Stoney's) especially in North and Chesapeake Beach. For an area with many miles of waterfront, it is amazing that there are not any really decent seafood places - most people here consider a seafood dinner as fried 'something' with sides of fries and slaw or else all-you-can-eat crabs which are great but I prefer to buy a few dozen, cook, and eat at home.

Now if you want to go a bit out of your way to Charles or St. Mary's counties, there are a few no-so-bad places there...but if you're like most people from the metro area, you'll already feel like you've been driving forever and won't want to take any detours.

Edited by MicGSD

I've lived in SMD for about 20 years, pretty much a culinary wasteland.  However,  we had dinner at The Westlawn Inn in North Beach on Saturday night - a great improvement over most places down here.  The menu leans toward southern foods, and the wine list is small but better than most in the area. I believe they won some type of best restaurant award.  The Old Field Inn in Prince Frederick is doable also.  Stoney's in Broome's Island (don't go to the one in the shopping center in Pr. Fred.) has awesome crabcakes.  Of course there's Vera's in Lusby on the water - it's worth the trip for the decor if not the food.  Solomon's Islands doesn't offer too much - except for the Tiki Bar if you want a watered down mai tai - which many do; most of the island is closed to drivers on opening day!  Of course, if you want steamed crabs, I'm sure there are plenty of places (such as Stoney's) especially in North and Chesapeake Beach.  For an area with  many miles of waterfront, it is amazing that there are not any really decent seafood places - most people here consider a seafood dinner as fried 'something' with sides of fries and slaw or else all-you-can-eat crabs which are great but I prefer to buy a few dozen, cook, and eat at home.

Now if you want to go a bit out of your way to Charles or St. Mary's counties, there are a few no-so-bad places there...but if you're like most people from the metro area, you'll already feel like you've been driving forever and won't want to take any detours.

Mr. B & I are headed in that direction (Pope's Creek/Cobb Island) this weekend for our 4th and penultimate trip there this summer and we will enjoy fine old time music at L'il Margarets 17th Annual Music Festival in Leonardstown (I used to hate bluegrass but the musicianship and niceness of these folks cannot be denied - especially after the show when everyone goes back to the RV sections and jams) and to visit our daughter at Camp St. Charles.

It does somehow feel like you are driving forever - especially when you've done it every weekend but... Please pass on your suggestions.

I will report on the fine food that the festival provides if the opportunity presents itself (think stuffed ham and pancake breakfasts).

Oh yeah and Budweisers at Apehangers a new B. family tradition cool.gif .

To Mrs. B: (how funny - b/c I am Mrs. B to my students)

In ChasCo: nicer dining in LaPlata: The Crossing/Casey Jones) - eclectic dining, great wine list, fresh, Gustavo's - try the bruschetta, and if you need a Greek fix Ouzo's. Casual - Captain Billy's in Pope's Creek - good portions and great servers.

In StMary'sCo: nicer dining in Leonardtown:
Cafe des Artistes and The Willows (but not much for atmosphere). Casual - Captain Leonards as mentioned in an earlier post - haven't eaten there but their to-go crabs are good, and Copsey's in Mechanicsville has great seasonings for their steamed crabs. I guess I'm more picky than most when it comes to seasonings since for years I had the luxury of fresh-from-the Patuxent wood-steamed crabs and like flaked salt in my mix.

As for SMD ham - based on experience - be sure you eat from a reliable source- but it is so very good. I made it once, but altho very labor intensive, you have to be very careful in the cooling process or else you invite food-poisoning (a big problem in St Mary's about 7 years ago)

I've lived in SMD for about 20 years, pretty much a culinary wasteland.  However,  we had dinner at The Westlawn Inn in North Beach on Saturday night - a great improvement over most places down here.  The menu leans toward southern foods, and the wine list is small but better than most in the area. I believe they won some type of best restaurant award. 

I have to second the Westlawn recommendation. I live about 20 minutes from North Beach and eat at the Westlawn about once a week. Can't say enough about the place, the chef, the staff...

They just put out their summer menu -- haven't tried it all yet, but I highly recommend the ceviche, the crab spring roll, the crab soup (a MUST) and any of the seafood entrees. The chef is at his best when he's working with seafood.

Solomon's Islands doesn't offer too much - except for the Tiki Bar if you want a watered down mai tai - which many do; most of the island is closed to drivers on opening day! 

I thought I had read that the Tiki Bar closed a couple of years ago. I think someone mentioned it on eGullet.

Try the Dry Dock in Solomon's, or Di Giovannis has ok food, but the deck is fabulous at night.

Don't worry about not being able to drive everywhere on the island, it's not that big. You can walk, which also means you can go crazy with the wine if you like :-) The dry dock used to have a pretty good list, as I recall.

My parents used to enjoy the CD Cafe in Solomons while visiting me at school down in "the county" (I thought it was just my crowd that called it that). Stuff like shepherd's pie, curried chicked salad pita, burger, etc. I vaguely remember liking their potato salad.

But yeah, there's not much there (that we found, anyway). Vera's always beckons, but we've yet to step inside.

I'll ask my Lusbian friends where they go for good eatin'.

As a former resident of "the county"(that's St. Mary's)(it's where i started cooking in college) i haven't been down the county in some time. The fondest memories i have are eating the captains breakfast at Scheibel's in Ridge, taking a headboat out to fish and coming back to Courtney's @ the same marina and having a fried rockfish sandwich and a couple of ten ounce budweisers. That being said, the Broome Howard INnn caan be good if not very forward looking in it's cuisine, the Green Door just N of campus has five dollar pitchers and pizzas on Mondays, Evan's Seafood in Piney Point is always a hoot, CD Cafe in Solomon's, The Dry Dock in Solomon's and the best weekend is always in October, The St. Mary's Cpounty Oyster Festival I don't know the exact date this year, but if bivalves are your thing, this is the place to be. Bear in mind I haven't lived there in years and these reccommendations are subject to change.

As a former resident of "the county"(that's St. Mary's)(it's where i started cooking in college) i haven't been down the county in some time. The fondest memories i have are eating the captains breakfast at Scheibel's in Ridge, taking a headboat out to fish and coming back to Courtney's @ the same marina and having a fried rockfish sandwich and a couple of ten ounce budweisers. That being said, the Broome Howard INnn caan be good if not very forward looking in it's cuisine, the Green Door just N of campus has five dollar pitchers and pizzas on Mondays, Evan's Seafood in Piney Point is always a hoot, CD Cafe in Solomon's, The Dry Dock in Solomon's and the best weekend is always in October, The St. Mary's Cpounty Oyster Festival I don't know the exact date this year, but if bivalves are your thing, this is the place to be. Bear in mind I haven't lived there in years and these reccommendations are subject to change.

How could I forget- the Broome Howard Inn catered our wedding in June down at the college and did a fabulous job, and the Green Door is hands-down the best dive bar in the world.

I'm just sorry Spinnakers in Ridge (where my husband used to work with brendanc) is no longer (don't be fooled by the new "Spinnakers")

Is there any good BBQ between DC and Solomon's Island? Or anyplace else worth stopping at on my trip back.

I'm about to go down for a conference and I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be eating hotel food for three days. I am hoping to find something to serve as the light at the end of the tunnel.

The answer to my question is yes, there is good BBQ between here and Solomon's. At the corner of 301s and St. Mary's Ave, about an hour from RFK stadium, is Johnny's BBQ. Great BBQ, good greens, fries and cole slaw. I had the pork ribs which were better than any I have had around here in a long time. Beautiful smoke ring and the top of the ribs were just a bit crispy, the way I like them.

That however, is all there is. Other than the food at the Holiday Inn on Solomons the only other placed we ventured out to try was Stoney's. According to the menu their crab cakes were rated #1 by the Post. I'm not buying it. They were fine but nothing more. I had a bowl of the house crab soup which could have been good if there was crab in it. Instead it was more like tomato minestrone with Old Bay. The fried oysters, had they been delivered hot, could have been great. Instead they were luke warm and greasy which was a waste of good oysters. I won't venture into the service. I would be kind by saying it sucked ventworm nut.

In ChasCo: Captain Billy's in Pope's Creek - good portions and great servers.

With such beautiful fall weather to enjoy, we headed out for a drive yesterday afternoon. Instead of our usual westward direction, we headed east and south and eventually found ourselves at Captain Billy's in Pope's Creek for some crabs. We initially ordered a half dozen steamed hardshells (we're novice 'pickers' with no real technique or speed to speak of) but upgraded to the "Deluxe" platter that also included 2 lbs of snow crab legs, and 1/2 lb of steamed shrimp. We started with a shared bowl of oyster stew - it was loaded with oysters and was everything oyster stew should be - simple, hot, and yummy.

The crabs were a mix of small to medium, but most of them arrived sans claws - a problem quickly remedied, just by asking wink.gif A tray full of claws appeared almost immediately. The hard shells were the favorite, although the snow crab meat was nice and sweet and the return v. effort ratio was much more satisfying. The shrimp was way overcooked sad.gif making shell removal difficult and the meat tough. I liked the hushpuppies - small and crunchy with honey for dipping, but the coleslaw was pretty boring - little flavor or dressing of any kind. Vinegar was mentioned in another crab thread - it was provided at the table, as were shakers of a spiced seasoning, cocktail sauce, tabasco, and ketchup, along with melted butter. I find the vinegar provides a nice contrast to the sweetness of the crab meat. The servers were very nice but I thought the unmentioned $1.00 per soda (no free refills) was kind of annoying. The view is wonderful and we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset as we finished up our picking!

In StMary'sCo: Casual - Captain Leonards as mentioned in an earlier post - haven't eaten there but their to-go crabs are good

We stopped at Capt. Leonard's last summer on the way back from an Eastern Shore wedding. I think I preferred the crabs here. There is no view, they're right on the road. But the service was good, the crabs were big, the hushpuppies tasty, the shrimp properly steamed, and it had a little more of a roadhouse feel, which I like!

My sister just moved from Alexandria VA to Lusby (she jokes that she's a Lusbian now) MD way down near Solomon's. I'll need to visit of course, so I must find some decent places to eat nearby. I've tried a BBQ joint or two on the way down towards that area, but haven't found much else.

Is there anything to recommend?

There are just about as many good restaurants in Southern Maryland as there are in Alexandria. The Westlawn Inn and Chef John Kozic have the finest offerings in Sothn Md (North Beach) and easily hold their own against many restaurants that are considered to be exceptional in Washington DC. There are other holes in the wall that are often hit or miss. Many locals like the Dry Dock in Solomon"s. Try Chapelier's for oyster stew and The Half Way house for fried chicken. The people there are very nice though and it should be fun popping around trying to find something you like. There is a nice artists studio called Dragon Flies in Lexington Park that carries American Art from around the country and just a few local artists.

The St mary's Stuffed Ham is punishing. Often available during the holidays, check McKays. Have fun.

Just to update this thread a bit, I have a place in Lusby near Solomons, so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

The CD Cafe is my favorite by far. If you are there for dinner, you should try one of the specials. They usually have three different entree specials, usually all fish. My husband has not ordered off the regular menu in years. The specials are creative and consistently well prepared. Whenever he orders fish elsewhere, he always compares it to CD's, and the comparison is almost never favorable. I've been on a kick where I crave the shrimp saute, which is served over risotto. The desserts are house made and fabulous. I don't often eat dessert, but if they have a fruit pie on the menu, it is certain to be great. They don't take reservations, but they have a lounge/bar next door (The Backdoor Lounge) that has a separate menu of heavy appetizers. They also serve the full dessert menu, so many people make a meal in the Lounge. The scallops BBT are great. The waits on the weekend can be 45 minutes to an hour for the main restaurant (especially since the Lighthouse burned down).

Since we're only down south on the weekends, this is our main winter haunt. In the summer, we'll generally pick restaurants

that we can boat to and enjoy water front dining.

Dry Dock Cafe at Zanhisers Marina is great. (Although we haven't been since October and some changes have reported been made, so I can't feel completely up to date on it). They have an outside deck overlooking the marina that we love. They don't take reservations for the deck, but you can wait at the bar or make reservations for inside if you call. They have a menu that changes daily, but there are usually the same kinds of choices - a crabcake/steak, a steak, a pork, a chicken, several fish/seafood options, and a veggie option. The menu is pretty creative and the only thing I avoid is their crabcake, because there are much better crab cakes to be had in the area.

We also like Clark's Landing in St. Mary's County (Hollywood, MD, I think). They have an outside deck (make reservations in the summer if you can) that overlooks the bridge over the Pax River. They have my favorite crab cakes (outside the ones my husband makes at home, that is). It is mostly a southern Maryland kind of place - lots of fried seafood and the like. They also make a decent burger. They have a smallish beer and wine selection, but you can find something drinkable other than bud.

We also boat up to Stoney's on Broome's Island. The crabcakes are as big as a baseball, and just as round. Since I favor my crabcakes a bit crispier than what you can acheive with that shape and size, so I get the fried shrimp basket or the mini crab cake. The crabs can be quite good, although we don't usually order crabs out when we can make them (and catch them) at home. The bar makes some mean drinks. That Stoney's is owned by the same people who own/run 2 restaurants on Solomons - The Pier and Stoney's Kingfisher. The menu is identical at the two Stoney's, and the Pier has more of a raw bar/bar oriented menu (although you can still get the crab cake). The Pier has the best outdoor bar by a long shot. You can watch the sun set under the bridge from their dock over the Pax River.

FYI, the Tiki Bar is alive and well. The grand opening is April 20 if you want to brave the massive crowds of drunks. It usually begins on Friday afternoon and runs all through the weekend. We like to drop in during the afternoon, but head to dinner before the redneck mardi gras gets into full swing.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be happy to point the way. I'm off to CD's tonight for that shrimp saute!

Just an update - there have been lots of changes in the dining scene since this post. Many chefs have changed and the restaurants, to date, just haven't been as consistentl. Sometimes they can be good, but I wouldnt' call any of them great these days. In particular, the CD Cafe lost 2 long-time employees. While they can still produce good food, I have found it to be very inconsistent. My husband hasn't had a fish special there that he's thought was even good since last fall.

They are in the permitting stage to rebuild the lighthouse. The plans look good, so we'll see what happens with that. They used to do a half-price appetizer happy hour at their waterfront (outside) bar that was a lot of fun.

Vincenzo's (website) has been around for a while, but seems to have improved a bit lately. They are a mediterranean/italian place on the water with a great view. They've been hosting some wine dinners and have live music occasionally. I don't think it would be considered great, but solid if you're in the area. 

Anyway, summer is just around the corner, so I thought I'd update this for the tourist crowd. There are a few new places that I haven't tried yet, but hope to soon.

Just to update this thread a bit, I have a place in Lusby near Solomons, so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

The CD Cafe is my favorite by far. If you are there for dinner, you should try one of the specials. They usually have three different entree specials, usually all fish. My husband has not ordered off the regular menu in years. The specials are creative and consistently well prepared. Whenever he orders fish elsewhere, he always compares it to CD's, and the comparison is almost never favorable. I've been on a kick where I crave the shrimp saute, which is served over risotto. The desserts are house made and fabulous. I don't often eat dessert, but if they have a fruit pie on the menu, it is certain to be great. They don't take reservations, but they have a lounge/bar next door (The Backdoor Lounge) that has a separate menu of heavy appetizers. They also serve the full dessert menu, so many people make a meal in the Lounge. The scallops BBT are great. The waits on the weekend can be 45 minutes to an hour for the main restaurant (especially since the Lighthouse burned down).
Since we're only down south on the weekends, this is our main winter haunt. In the summer, we'll generally pick restaurants
that we can boat to and enjoy water front dining.

Dry Dock Cafe at Zanhisers Marina is great. (Although we haven't been since October and some changes have reported been made, so I can't feel completely up to date on it). They have an outside deck overlooking the marina that we love. They don't take reservations for the deck, but you can wait at the bar or make reservations for inside if you call. They have a menu that changes daily, but there are usually the same kinds of choices - a crabcake/steak, a steak, a pork, a chicken, several fish/seafood options, and a veggie option. The menu is pretty creative and the only thing I avoid is their crabcake, because there are much better crab cakes to be had in the area.

We also like Clark's Landing in St. Mary's County (Hollywood, MD, I think). They have an outside deck (make reservations in the summer if you can) that overlooks the bridge over the Pax River. They have my favorite crab cakes (outside the ones my husband makes at home, that is). It is mostly a southern Maryland kind of place - lots of fried seafood and the like. They also make a decent burger. They have a smallish beer and wine selection, but you can find something drinkable other than bud.

We also boat up to Stoney's on Broome's Island. The crabcakes are as big as a baseball, and just as round. Since I favor my crabcakes a bit crispier than what you can acheive with that shape and size, so I get the fried shrimp basket or the mini crab cake. The crabs can be quite good, although we don't usually order crabs out when we can make them (and catch them) at home. The bar makes some mean drinks. That Stoney's is owned by the same people who own/run 2 restaurants on Solomons - The Pier and Stoney's Kingfisher. The menu is identical at the two Stoney's, and the Pier has more of a raw bar/bar oriented menu (although you can still get the crab cake). The Pier has the best outdoor bar by a long shot. You can watch the sun set under the bridge from their dock over the Pax River.

FYI, the Tiki Bar is alive and well. The grand opening is April 20 if you want to brave the massive crowds of drunks. It usually begins on Friday afternoon and runs all through the weekend. We like to drop in during the afternoon, but head to dinner before the redneck mardi gras gets into full swing.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be happy to point the way. I'm off to CD's tonight for that shrimp saute!

That would be a bit outside my area of experience. We rarely venture outside Pax River/Solomons area on our little run about.
South of Deale is North Beach/Chesapeake beach. I know there are some marinas along the way, but I've never visited any of them. I've -heard- some people say good things about he Westlawn Inn in North Beach, but I have no idea if you can get there by water.

List of Calvert county marinas

Chesapeake Beach looks like your best bet for finding something to eat along the way.

Here is a forum for discussing restaurants in SoMD, although mostly about St. Mary's county, and sometimes seems to focus on who is serving large quantities of fried seafood for the least amount of money. smile.gif

ps. I'm assuming you mean between Deale and Solomons, as there are lots of places to dock up to on the Island.

Ate at Captain John's in Cobb Island this weekend. We split the fried seafood platter ($26.95), replacing the oysters with a soft shell crab ($3). So, it came with fish, crab cake, soft shell, clams, shrimp, and scallops. Everything was at least good with a few items that were very good. I amazed every time I go to some place on, or near, the water that talks up their crab cakes and then they end up being mostly filler. Captain John's came through, though. Their cake was almost all crab with very little filler. (Looking back, I wish we upgraded to the premium crab cake for a few more $ to get the lump meat. But, the regular cake is very good. You could also upgrade the fish to rock fish, but we didn't do that either.) The soft shell was huge and cooked perfectly. Not sure I've had a soft shell that large and plump. The platter comes with 2 sides. We chose hush puppies and...hush puppies!

To me, there are very few meals in life that beat a plate of fried seafood and hush puppies. That's the southern boy in me, I guess. I have my born and raised Tennessee mom to thank for that.

Any updates on restaurants in Solomon's Island? Going by earlier recommendations here and elsewhere on these boards, I was looking at Westlawn Inn, Dry Dock, CD Cafe (though we probably won't go there unless things have changed since ohstate's 2008 update), and maybe Stoney's at Broome Island.

We're going this weekend and would very much appreciate recommendations. It's a special occasion, so Westlawn Inn would be a definite possibility if it's still excellent after the previous chef left. But otherwise, crab and fish in various forms sounds good.

Thanks!!

Any updates on restaurants in Solomon's Island? Going by earlier recommendations here and elsewhere on these boards, I was looking at Westlawn Inn, Dry Dock, CD Cafe (though we probably won't go there unless things have changed since ohstate's 2008 update), and maybe Stoney's at Broome Island.

We're going this weekend and would very much appreciate recommendations. It's a special occasion, so Westlawn Inn would be a definite possibility if it's still excellent after the previous chef left. But otherwise, crab and fish in various forms sounds good.

Thanks!!

Not a restaurant recc, but if you go here: Solomon's Island Winery

Buy this: 1 container Chocotage (red wine chocolate sauce available in the store, but not yet online), plus a bottle of Marytage wine

To make: Red Wine Hot Chocolate, ask them for the recipe

The winery staff served a version of this at the St. Mary's County Oyster festival a few weeks ago and it rocked my MangoWorld.

Not a restaurant recc, but if you go here: Solomon's Island Winery

Buy this: 1 container Chocotage (red wine chocolate sauce available in the store, but not yet online), plus a bottle of Marytage wine

To make: Red Wine Hot Chocolate, ask them for the recipe

The winery staff served a version of this at the St. Mary's County Oyster festival a few weeks ago and it rocked my MangoWorld.

Thanks - unfortunately can't do wine, but will pass this on if others go. Appreciate the recommendation.

Spring is here, the Tiki bar has it's spring opening this Friday (April 25) and the Southern Maryland Celtic Festival is this weekend in St. Leonard.  The island has changed quite a bit in recent years - three new restaurants have opened (two new places, one replaced a really awful restaurant).  If you're headed down that way, the CD Cafe (and it's Next Door lounge, where you can have apps/small plates/dessert) and the Dry Dock are still solid bets.  Newcomers are The Lighthouse Restaurant and Dock Bar (built on the former location of the LIghthouse restaurant that burned down a few years back and owned/operated by the people who used to run Clarks Landing) and the Striped Rock. We've been to both for lunch/snacks and will likely head back to give them a few more tries over the summer, now that the boat is in the water.  Also relatively new is the Bistro Belle Maison located in the Blue Heron Inn. We have been for one dinner, and friends swear by it.  The Taste of Solomons has come/gone, but the link has a map to most of the dining establishments on the island. "A Taste Of Solomon's"

The Tiki Bar

The Celtic Society Of Southern Maryland aka Red Neck Mardi Gras

The CD Cafe

The Dry Dock Restaurant

The Lighthouse Restaurant Dock Bar

The Striped Rock

The Blue Heron Bed and Breakfast