Good Stuff Eatery, Burgers, Fries, and Shakes in Capitol Hill and Crystal City

This is closer to the Capitol than to the Market, but there is an upscale burger place going in at 3rd and PA Ave, SE (Good Stuff Eatery, 303 PA Ave, SE). Signs announcing the liquor license application/hearing are up in the windows.

There's a small blurb here. The same page mentions the upcoming opening of Cafe 8 Mediterranean Eatery on Barracks Row.

That seems like a strange location--it used to be a very dinky little bank and then was a card shop. (My entire office was devestated to realize that Pulp was a card shop and not a smoothie joint!) How much volume do you think they will be able to handle? I can't imagine it would be a sit down place.

Jennifer, a sixteen year veteran of crappy Hill lunches...

That seems like a strange location--it used to be a very dinky little bank and then was a card shop. (My entire office was devestated to realize that Pulp was a card shop and not a smoothie joint!) How much volume do you think they will be able to handle? I can't imagine it would be a sit down place.

Jennifer, a sixteen year veteran of crappy Hill lunches...

There is an upstairs area, so it's not as small as it might seem. It's not terribly big, though.

I believe the liquor license application I saw said that it would also have an outdoor patio.

(ETA: It's probably about the same size inside as the Cosi next door.)

I don't know if there is reason to be excited until someone tries the burgers, but Spike has done well so far on the season and I would assume that he is going to be there for a while. The article does bring up a great point, though, about the TC contestants now trying to cash in on their newfound fame only 3 episodes into the season as opposed to at least waiting for the show to run its course on TV. Strike while the iron is still warming up!

Someone in the family must have just graduated with a marketing degree because this menu is filled with kitsch, (i.e. handcrafted, "with a loving spoonful of good stuff sauce", handspun, home grown, "get ready for fresh", etc.).

Someone in the family must have just graduated with a marketing degree because this menu is filled with kitsch, (i.e. handcrafted, "with a loving spoonful of good stuff sauce", handspun, home grown, "get ready for fresh", etc.).
According to the Post's Sunday Source section, his sister is director of marketing for the restaurant.

edited to fix my goof.

More publicity -there's a short interview with Spike that shows some burger patties being flipped and the interior of Good Stuff Eatery in this NBC4 video about the economy and DC restaurants.

Lets see channel 4 is owned by NBC, Bravo produces and shows Top Chef, Bravo and NBC are both owned by NBC Universal. Must have been a coincidence.

By the way, my favorite tidbit from the bit from the Sunday Source is

The plan is to do a burger better than anyone, applying classical training to America's signature dish

Wow, maybe someone should called Richard, or Ruta and let them know that they could apply their classical training to a burger.

Sign Seen on Door

"WE'VE NEVER ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING BUT FRANCHISES NOW AVAILABLE!....FREE PRODUCT PACK: INCLUDES COMPILED JOHNNY ROCKETS/APPLEBEE'S/FARM SCHTICK PRIMER IN A SNAZZY THREE RING BINDER!.....FREE HAT TO EVERY FRANCHISEE! BE LIKE SPIKE THE FIFTH LOSER ON AN OVEREXPOSED SHOW. "I touched padma"-Chef Spike..."

*the wedge salad is a trademark of mediocrity everywhere. all rights reserved

PS-The chef from Rover's in Seattle wants his hat gimmick back

he perceives himself as an 'ambassador' who will bring 'young & hip' restaurants to DC....
Yaaaaaawn. As retarded as that statement is on its own, it begs the question: How is a burger restaurant located on the Hill young & hip? I can think of many reasons to live and/or open a business on the Hill, but being "hip" isn't one of them.

I wonder what kind of training it took to come up with that beer selection. I've seen bodega's with bunkers in them that have better trained beer directors. The guy up the street from me who doesn't drink has a much better selection. He must have brought in some one with classical training.

I wonder what kind of training it took to come up with that beer selection. I've seen bodega's with bunkers in them that have better trained beer directors. The guy up the street from me who doesn't drink has a much better selection. He must have brought in some one with classical training.

But....but....they have Sam Adams Dark! :lol:

(afaik, Sam Adams doesn't make a beer called "Dark")

But....but....they have Sam Adams Dark! :lol:

(afaik, Sam Adams doesn't make a beer called "Dark")

FWIW, Sam Adams does make a "Dark Wheat" beer. Not sure if that's what they're referring to, but it definitely exists.

My wife and I went to the soft opening tonight, and I'd say the burgers were worth another visit. I want to give them time to get their feet under them (seems to put me squarely in the minority judging by previous comments), but the Blazin' Barn's was tasty and the patties were juicy and medium-rare.

FWIW, Sam Adams does make a "Dark Wheat" beer. Not sure if that's what they're referring to, but it definitely exists.

They also make a Black Lager, which I'm guessing is the more likely. But still, it reeks of carelessness, or maybe laziness: maybe they just want to print the menu once every year and feel like rotating through random "dark" Sam Adams seasonals.

But hey, they aren't open yet. Maybe they'll get it corrected and add some decent beers in there. Must.give.benefit.of.doubt.

Washingtonian

KN: Are you getting meats and produce locally?

SM: Yeah, everything's local.

KN: So what are some of the places you are getting it from?

SM: I'm using Coastal Farms for all my produce, they are based out of Maryland, I'm using Capital Meats, a purveyor up on the Hill. Everything is farm fresh and local.

Coastal farms or Coastal Sunbelt Produce?

Dodgy discount Capital Meats or Capital Meat Company?

I purchase virtually all household sundries and foodstuffs locally as well, from the bodega up the street. Unless Spike is picking lettuce from the I-395 median and has cows grazing there he is full of farm fresh shit and needs headgear reassignment.

Went to soft opening on Thursday Night, Burgers were good, think 5 guys without all the grease. The shake (toasted marshmallow) was sweet and very rich. Had 2 different wedges, greek with diced cucumbers and onions and a basic wedge with gorgonzolla, bacon and fried onion straws. Both were solid. Enjoyed my meal, and would go back. The friends I was with live on the hill and are very excited about having a late night place to eat.

Spike and crew came by Proof for pre-RAMMY lubrication. I found him to be charming, humble and very sweet. Despite how he was portrayed on the show, and the impression I garnered from that, my face to face left a completely different impression. I am glad he is here and I think he will be a nice addition to the Capitol Hill dining scene. I did not see anything in his interview that should deprive him of the benefit of the doubt. Welcome Spike - I look forward to stopping in soon.

Hmm...It seems to me that he has made it very clear that his main interest in the Washington area is as a less competitive and more easily star-struck launching pad for his franchise operations than New York would be.

Charming he may be, but his failure in his many media opportunities to recognize and show respect to the real chefs ahead of him who have worked here for years and have earned their accomplishments--most notably Mssrs Richard and Ruta, whose burgers truly are unsurpassed, if not unequaled (and Tom Power's too, if he ever brings them back!)--is certainly graceless, if not entirely enough to deny him the benefit of the doubt.

At least according to the terms of the restaurant world.

Hmm...It seems to me that he has made it very clear that his main interest in the Washington area is as a less competitive and more easily star-struck launching pad for his franchise operations than New York would be.

Charming he may be, but his failure in his many media opportunities to recognize and show respect to the real chefs ahead of him who have worked here for years and have earned their accomplishments--most notably Mssrs Richard and Ruta, whose burgers truly are unsurpassed, if not unequaled (and Tom Power's too, if he ever brings them back!)--is certainly graceless, if not entirely enough to deny him the benefit of the doubt.

At least according to the terms of the restaurant world.

If you watch the actual video interview, it's amazing to see the look of confusion on his face when the interviewer mentions Butterfield 9 closing - not having any idea of what BF9 was. I understand he's been swamped with opening up the new restaurant, but if you expect to take a backwater city like ours by storm, you should learn something about it first.

Wow. I have to say I have never seen so much hatred toward a place that hasn't even opened yet. Cut the guy some slack, let him open his restaurant, and then judge him and his eatery.

Also, the comments about him not knowing about Butterfield 9 closing. Should he really have his finger on the pulse of every restaurant closing and opening? I have nothing aganist B9, but it was a restaurant that flew below the radar. I would say that many long time residents of DC has/had never heard of Butterfield 9, why would Spike?

Wow. I have to say I have never seen so much hatred toward a place that hasn't even opened yet. Cut the guy some slack, let him open his restaurant, and then judge him and his eatery.

Also, the comments about him not knowing about Butterfield 9 closing. Should he really have his finger on the pulse of every restaurant closing and opening? I have nothing aganist B9, but it was a restaurant that flew below the radar. I would say that many long time residents of DC has/had never heard of Butterfield 9, why would Spike?

I don't think it's hate at all. I think we all want him to succeed, but we just want him to recognize that there were those doing this long before him.

I don't think it's hate at all. I think we all want him to succeed, but we just want him to recognize that there were those doing this long before him.

I don't know, that's not the vibe I am getting from this thread. Why does he need to come here and kiss the ass of every other DC chef? All the guy is doing is opening a burger and shake joint.

Also, in regards to him recognizing "the others before him" (i.e Richard and Ruta), I mean are these guys really known for their burgers (outside of this board, of course). When I hear the name Michel Richard I don't think, "yeah, that guy makes the best burger...". Also, Central opened less than 2 years ago, which doesn't really make it a DC institution. Comparing what Spike is trying to do at his place to Central or Palena is like comparing apples and bananas :lol: .

I don't know, that's not the vibe I am getting from this thread. Why does he need to come here and kiss the ass of every other DC chef? All the guy is doing is opening a burger and shake joint.

Also, in regards to him recognizing "the others before him" (i.e Richard and Ruta), I mean are these guys really known for their burgers (outside of this board, of course). When I hear the name Michel Richard I don't think, "yeah, that guy makes the best burger...". Also, Central opened less than 2 years ago, which doesn't really make it a DC institution. Comparing what Spike is trying to do at his place to Central or Palena is like comparing apples and bananas :lol: .

Well played sir.

Good points all around.

I can't say I have "hatred" for any eating establishment or its management. This seems to be a case of some guy coming in from a larger market and thinking he's going to cause a sensation because he's a big fish in a little pond.

From his Washington Post interview: "I would like to be an ambassador of bringing young, hip restaurants here. I'm looking at D.C. as a blank canvas where I hope to practice my art form."

This statement comes across as a tad arrogant -- there are plenty of "hip" restaurants in the area (although given that I am older than 40 and live in northern Virginia, it's arguable that I don't have an inkling of what is hip) and that although D.C. may be new territory for the Good Stuff Eatery crew, it is far from a blank canvas. More like a graffiti-covered wall where they can throw up their tag among many others that have come before.

If they have a solid business plan they have a good chance of success. More good food is a good thing. But is this guy going to be instrumental in making D.C. "the next big food city"? Time alone will tell.

IThis statement comes across as a tad arrogant -- there are plenty of "hip" restaurants in the area (although given that I am older than 40 and live in northern Virginia, it's arguable that don't have an inkling of what is hip) and that although D.C. may be new territory for the Good Stuff Eatery crew, it is far from a blank canvas. More like a graffiti-covered wall where they can throw up their tag among many others that have come before.

Frankly I don't care whose ass he kisses, and before I read the above quoted interview I had no idea who he was (having seen nary a second of the show he was on), but to come to a city that has been making its culinary mark and assume because it is not Manhattan it is nothing struck me the wrong way. Also, the arrogance of thinking that he was the first person to ever meld classical culinary training with the hamburger was rather off-putting. All that being said, I will likely try GSE before other new burger places but only because I find his statements off putting unlike the personal attacks that I have received from the other owner of a new burger place.

I can't say I have "hatred" for any eating establishment or its management. This seems to be a case of some guy coming in from a larger market and thinking he's going to cause a sensation because he's a big fish in a little pond.

From his Washington Post interview: "I would like to be an ambassador of bringing young, hip restaurants here. I'm looking at D.C. as a blank canvas where I hope to practice my art form."

This statement comes across as a tad arrogant -- there are plenty of "hip" restaurants in the area (although given that I am older than 40 and live in northern Virginia, it's arguable that I don't have an inkling of what is hip) and that although D.C. may be new territory for the Good Stuff Eatery crew, it is far from a blank canvas. More like a graffiti-covered wall where they can throw up their tag among many others that have come before.

If they have a solid business plan they have a good chance of success. More good food is a good thing. But is this guy going to be instrumental in making D.C. "the next big food city"? Time alone will tell.

First of all, I would never describe Cap Hill as being "hip" (no offense to the residents of the Hill). So I think a place like this will do quite well there. Also, he does acknowledge his chef fore-fathers, here is the direct quote from the interview:

"I think it is the next big food city," he says of the District, citing Michel Richard and Jose Andres as chefs who have ushered in great change in the past five years. "I would like to be an ambassador of bringing young, hip restaurants here. I'm looking at D.C. as a blank canvas where I hope to practice my art form."

Yes, a blank canvas it is not, however, I don't think the dude was trying to disrespect D.C., he is merely trying to market his eatery.

All the guy is doing is opening a burger and shake joint.
My point EXACTLY. And that is why he should consider nixing the talk like this: "I would like to be an ambassador of bringing young, hip restaurants here. I'm looking at D.C. as a blank canvas where I hope to practice my art form" if he wants people (namely me) to stop goofing on him. I don't consider myself to be an all-knowing food goddess, but I don't need some clown whose claim to fame was time spent on a reality TV show turning me on to some next-level farm fresh cheeseburger action or calling my city a "blank canvas". Spare me!

My point EXACTLY. And that is why he should consider nixing the talk like this: "I would like to be an ambassador of bringing young, hip restaurants here. I'm looking at D.C. as a blank canvas where I hope to practice my art form" if he wants people (namely me) to stop goofing on him. I don't consider myself to be an all-knowing food goddess, but I don't need some clown whose claim to fame was time spent on a reality TV show turning me on to some next-level farm fresh cheeseburger action or calling my city a "blank canvas". Spare me!

I have no strong opinions about this, but this post made me laugh out loud.

I certainly agree that Spike has come off as arrogant in the way he has introduced himself to DC. At the same time, I can think of a well-established DC chef or two whom I find to be insufferably arrogant. Spike is being punished in this thread not for being arrogant, but for being arrogant without having first worn a locally-grown hairshirt.

Ultimately, I'll eat the food and judge it as such, unless his farm-fresh arrogance affects my dining experience.

(Of course, I'm probably inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in light of desperation for decent options in my 'hood.)

I was on the Hill for other things earlier. Drove by to see. There was a line out the door... mostly younger staffers and interns from the look. So, they were busy for their first lunch.

I saw the same today. I picked up a menu and almost went in myself. The items certainly sound tempting (applewood smoked bacon, farmhouse cheddar, etc.). It looks like this may be a very welcome addition to the Hill lunch scene.