Santa Fe Cafe, Wilson Boulevard in Rosslyn - Kip Laramie's New Mexico-styled Cantina - Closed

I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't already a thread about this place (unless I did my search wrong and it's here somewhere). Is it really that much under the radar, or have people been and found it not worth posting about? I, for one, have developed a strong attraction to a few select menu items over the years. Dishes I recommend are 1) The Steak and Cheese Burrito, 2) Fajitas (steak, chicken, or shrimp on the regular menu, specials sometimes offer lamb, pork, and tuna), and 3) Chimichangas (shredded beef or shredded chicken). Most dishes are served with Mexican rice and refried beans. They offer a list of five or six specials which changes weekly, including things like applewood smoked bacon quesadilla, pork adovado burrito, and a chirozo-stuffed baked Vidalia onion. During the Hatch Chile Festival in Hatch, NM, special dishes are prepared with peppers flown in from Hatch.

One of my favorite things about this place is the complimentary chips and salsa - SO much better than anywhere else I've tried! The chips are a mixture of gold, blue, and red corn tortilla chips deep-fried and cut thicker than I've had at most of the usual Tex-Mex places. The homemade salsa is more of a thin sauce than a puree, with a distinct cilantro flavor, and usually very spicy. The beers on tap include Victory lager and Dominion ale. They previously offered a wonderfully hoppy red ale which was brewed for them by Dominion, but was unfortunately discontinued after the takeover of Dominion by Anheuser Busch. This is a casual neighborhood place, with very friendly service and even friendlier prices. I believe the owner, Kip Laramie, was a previous owner of the Santa Fe Cafe in College Park, but no longer owns that one (not positive about that). Again, this place is more Santa Fe than Tex/Mex, but it might fill the bill for those of you looking for this kind of food, and wanting to try something other than Rio Grande, Guajillo, etc.

If the food isn't a good enough reason to go to Santa Fe Cafe, maybe this is (from their menu)

we bought the restaurant on May 1, 1988. The very talented staff that I inherited made a smooth transition from Tex-Mex to more complex New Mexican cuisine, and we opened for dinner a year later. I am so proud that four of the original five employees are still here...

I don't get there often, but Kip has done some really nice (and easy) catering for our office over the years. The fajitas are always good. Here's the website with menus. I think I'll need to get back in there sometime soon!

I have been going here for years and at dinner, the place is never crowded. I used to work across the street and I think lunch is where their business really comes from. I have stood in line from the entrance on Wilson. For those who have been inside, that is a long walk from the counter. I can't say I am an expert on Tex/Mex or New Mexican cuisine, but their refried beans are the best I have ever tried. They are creamy, but thick. Not too thick, but just thick enough to stick to your fork. They mouthfeel is a lot more substantial than others I have tried. For comparison sake, I find Guajillo's a bit thin with little flavor.

The salsa is quite spicy but really good. You can buy it by the pint to go. It is a really nice family run place. The help never changes, the food is good, you can hear your dinner companions (my big complaint with Guajillo is that it is too noisy). Great for crowds too. Some of the tables middle of the restaurant are really big.

When I lived in Rosslyn I would frequent the Santa Fe Cafe, eating there once or twice a month. Now, when for whatever reason I am forced across Key Bridge and am not headed to Ray's, the next place on my list is the Sante Fe Cafe.

Yes, the portions are large and the prices are low, but it's the flavors and the ingredients that separate this restaurant from tex-mex factories like Rio Grande and Cactus Cantina. The simple things -- the beans, the rice -- are well-seasoned, and the heat in the sauces aren't watered down for mid-atlantic palates. Get something slathered in their deep, smokey red sauce (I can't recall the name) and you won't be disappointed.

...and, as mentioned above, the margaritas are delicious.

A single cautionary note: Santa Fe Cafe is closed on Sunday. If you are dreaming of a Santa Fe Cafe burrito and a Sunday NFL game, well, join the club.

Alex

There's a great special on the menu this week at Santa Fe Cafe - the "Porterhouse" Bone-In Pork Chop. The flame broiling made it taste like the best pork chop I ever cooked on my backyard grill - nice char, great smoky flavor, but not at all burnt. A dried cherry balsamic jalapeno glaze topped the chop with a dark coating of sweet-tart cherries well balanced by the heat of the jalapeno component. The accompanying mashed sweet potatoes were more of a puree consistency, and I noticed a touch of cinnamon. Grilled vegetables were thin pieces of onion, mushroom, and green pepper, with the same smoky flavor of the chop. Everything on the plate went really well together, with the exception of the chopped lettuce and tomato, which I treated like a garnish and did not eat. It's a sizable portion, but if you're like me, you might wish it was smaller, after gorging yourself on basket after basket of the complimentary chips and always top-notch homemade salsa. Price for this dish is $17.95, but it goes away after this week. Oh yeah, they have Dogfish Head 60 Minute Ale on tap by the glass or by the pitcher.

This is really sad news. I used to lunch here often when I worked in Rosslyn. They were good people serving good food in a friendly environment.

Rosslyn’s Santa Fe Cafe to Close

Oh no! I used to work right across the street (in my old career). I must make a trip out there before they close.

It is sad news, but really, where's the support been for this restaurant?

When I worked across the street, I was there at least once a week. They had a very strong lunch business--line from the counter to the front door.

You are right. Since being away, I haven't made the trip---I live in MD. My work schedule is unpredictable and I spend any free time with my family.

Support from whom? If they've been around for 24 years, there's been plenty of support; from local office workers, residents, etc. Kip catered several events for my office years ago (when we were located in Skyline) and friends' parties over the years. The food was great and service was always excellent for both catered events and meals at the restaurant. I haven't been in a long time, not for any good reason, but I will be sure to stop in again before they close.

Can't change the rent.

Precisely, and that is the sad thing. It would be nice if developers/building owners were able to work a little harder to keep small, successful businesses as tenants.

We live within walking distance and prob go about once a month for dinner. It's sad to see it close... particularly as a parent of a toddler now. They've always been great w/ our daughter... and there's ample room there for her to wander when she gets restless w/o really disturbing the other patrons.

damn. I stopped by there not too long ago one evening....after not having been there for years. It was so similar. I too liked their refried beans....

sad..l'd say their new mexican style cooking was a tad better or considerably better than other places in the region for a long time. and above all very comfy place.

ugh. after reading the arlnow article, as a former retail broker...that is simply a miserably tough space to rent and keep occupied; on a hill that cuts active foot traffic, slightly below ground. That location turns off foot traffic ....and customers will only make it work, if the place has a deserved reputation.

That landlord is going to have a tough time keeping a tenant in there over any stretch.

Bad decision on an above value if understated restaurant, IMHO.

Very sad news indeed. I just called to see if they were still open, and a very pleasant man answered the phone, "Hello."

"Hi, I was just calling to see what time you're opening."

"Oh, we're not opening; we're closed, and we're closed for good now."

They closed last Saturday night, October 27th, which was the end of their lease.

I asked him (obviously the manager or owner) if there were any future plans, and got the saddest answer of all:

"Nope. Nope this is it."

I expressed my thanks and condolences, he sincerely thanked me for my patronage and concern, and we said our goodbyes. :(

Ate there at least over 100 times over the years.  Ate the types of meals described above.  I have to admit to being one of those described by Don and Al Dente. What can I say?  It hit the spot. Admittedly it is anything but high quality food, but in my experience it was infinitely better than fast food, unknown dives or restaurants, etc.  I'm glad I got to know Anita's a couple of decades ago.

Come to think of it for about 2 decades I went to various meetings all over the region in every county, sometimes with colleagues, sometimes on my own. At some point I discovered Anita's. It was probably my favorite local medium priced chain of restaurants. If I had an end of the day type meeting in Virginia, and for one reason or another I wasn't going to eat at home or had a dinner arrangement I'd probably stop for a meal at Anita's.  Being from the NorthEast it was probably my main first introduction to SouthWest styled cooking.  My usual choice was an enchilada meal w/ rice and refried beans. It did have a "blender" quality to it.  Regardless, I liked it and it introduced me to a new style of cooking and better alternatives.

In fact I can recall ending the work day in Northern Montgomery County or Southern PG or elsewhere in Md and being disappointed there wasn't a nearby or accessible Anita's. As the afternoon hours rolled on toward evening and issues with regard to my stomach took precedence over other issues, my mind often wandered toward Anita's. I guess I'm one of those "blender" kind of people.   ;)

i miss santa fe cafe.....

• Like 2

i miss santa fe cafe.....

good point.  I miss it also.  I'd rate it significantly better than Anita's, just not as accessible or convenient for meetings that ranged all over NoVa over those decades.

They still maintain a (barely) active Facebook page.

Just looked at the FB page per dcs.   The post closing comments are sweet and generous