Hard-To-Find Alcoholic Beverages

Hey there. I've been trying to set up my home bar to make all of the classic and forgotten cocktails that I posted about earlier, but I've had a lot of trouble finding a source for some of my ingredients. I'd much rather buy local than mail order, and I'd happily place a special order through a friendly liquor store, but any recommendations would help!

I'm looking to find a source for:
Torani Amer
Luxardo maraschino
Ramazzotti amaro
Old Potrero rye
Strega

Any help would be appreciated!

Once the rain settles down, it'll be time for Hemingway Daiquiris again, and I'm running dangerously low on maraschino!

N.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread on Luxardo maraschino in the shopping forum back in April, HERE. The upshot of it was that I went to Chevy Chase liquor and bought all three bottles that they had in stock. Whether they've restocked I don't know. Joe Riley told me via PM that apparently local distributors aren't carrying it any more. You should call Chevy Chase and ask.

Strega is not hard to find. Ask any liquor store to order it for you.

Ramazzotti was distributed by National Distributors here for a long time. Perhaps they still have it. For Amaros I also like Montenegro and Quintessentia from Nonino. Nonino is imported by Paterno.

Strega is in stock at Cleveland park liquors and as I stated earlier Winebow brings in the Luxardo line for the DC area. You can call ron brooks at 703-867-1395 and he will see that your local liquor store, or at least one of the better ones will have it for you. Old Potrero is made by Anchor Brewing in San Fransisco and is brought in by Bacchus wine importers. Again, Cleveland Park carries this/will order it for you. Enjoy the mixing!

Pearson's has the Luxardo line. Besides the Maraschino that's an excellent Limoncello & Amaretto.

I was buying Sancerre, also noticed Orgeat & Falernum which, depending on Vic's or

Don's recipe, are needed for a Mai Tai.

Massenz liquers are also stocked. So check them out for ingredients. I saw other stuff which was pushed out by a flood of sake a few hours later.

Torani shouldn't be a problem.

Ask for Portrero. Bourbon has this on call.

Dan don't know about Cacique, everywhere has a bunch of different moonshine varieies :unsure: , but Tic Tac aguaradiente, various Piscos & Pitu Cachacha are around.

Pearson's has the Luxardo line. Besides the Maraschino that's an excellent Limoncello & Amaretto.

When I checked Pearson's a couple of months ago, they had only Stock maraschino, no Luxardo. Things change, of course. What they did and do have that's fairly hard to find around here is Vya vermouth.

Not obscure, but rare around here--does anyone know where I can find Lagavulin 12 year-old cask strength scotch in metro DC? I hear great things, but have yet to come across it.

I seem to remember seeing it at Ace Liquors, but I'd call to be sure.

:unsure:

N.

Not obscure, but rare around here--does anyone know where I can find Lagavulin 12 year-old cask strength scotch in metro DC? I hear great things, but have yet to come across it.
You can find an empty bottle of it in my recycle bin. The things you've heard about it are true. Sadly, it was a gift from my dad in Philly, so no dice on the DC source.

Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits has the younger & stronger Old Portrero, and I've had them order the older & cheaper one for me. I liked both of them, the three year old 19th century style is definitely easier to drink and is the one that I am likely to buy next time. The 124 proof is interesting though and it is kind of fun seeing how adding different amounts of water changes the taste.

Speaking of obscure liquors has anyone had the absynthe that was written up in the New Yorker a few months ago? I think its illegal in the US but the article kind of hints that if you order a small amount from an english website it will get through customs.

When I checked Pearson's a couple of months ago, they had only Stock maraschino, no Luxardo. Things change, of course. What they did and do have that's fairly hard to find around here is Vya vermouth.
Bell's also has Vya, but since I bought the last bottle of extra dry about an hour ago at this point they only have the sweet.

Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits has the younger & stronger Old Portrero, and I've had them order the older & cheaper one for me. I liked both of them, the three year old 19th century style is definitely easier to drink and is the one that I am likely to buy next time. The 124 proof is interesting though and it is kind of fun seeing how adding different amounts of water changes the taste.

Speaking of obscure liquors has anyone had the absynthe that was written up in the New Yorker a few months ago? I think its illegal in the US but the article kind of hints that if you order a small amount from an english website it will get through customs.

I haven't tried it, but there's a website here you may find useful (courtesy of Modern Drunkard Magazine).

You probably mean Jade...they get a lot of press. A friend of mine ordered three bottles (One of each kind) for New Years, and I had some. It was good...maybe not mind-blowing, but I liked it. Unfortunately I don't remember enough to tell you about them in any great or specific detail as to the difference between them (Don't look at me like that...it was expensive! We only had a little! [Translation: I was drunk on other things too]) I guess what I'm saying is if I'm ever in a position to buy $100 bottles of booze...after buying some other stuff, I'd go for some Jade Absinthe :) . I wasn't under the impression that it was a big deal to bring in (They shipped practically next-day air in foam cases), and if there's a limit, it's more than three bottles.
I haven't tried it, but there's a website here you may find useful (courtesy of Modern Drunkard Magazine).
Ahhh, that stuff. Jade I knew from reputation. That stuff I know because they take out a lot of sidebar ads on certain websites. I'd pony up for some Jade and invite me over. :lol:

Jade website

Anyone have a lead on how to land some more Vahine Vanille Creme liquor? I brought a bottle back from the honeymoon to Moorea 2 years ago and am down to my last glass tonight. Stored in the fridge and served over a couple of ice cubes, it's a pretty nice way to wind down in the evening.

(This has been one of the few times when the internet machine has failed me. All I can find is other folks looking to track this stuff down.)

Emerald

1 oz gin

3/4 oz green Chartreuse

3/4 oz sweet vermouth

1 dash orange bitters

Serve chilled. A gin with a relatively clean profile will stay out of the Chartreuse's way, it's a potent but lovely after dinner drink. It comes out greenish-brown, though.

Emerald

1 oz gin

3/4 oz green Chartreuse

3/4 oz sweet vermouth

1 dash orange bitters

Serve chilled. A gin with a relatively clean profile will stay out of the Chartreuse's way, it's a potent but lovely after dinner drink. It comes out greenish-brown, though.

This is more or less what I did last night, but with different proportions. Came out kinda potent.

Next time you're in Baltimore, visit the Idle Hour. According to the owner, they go through more Chartreuse than any bar on the east coast (they have the empty bottles displayed around the bar to back it up). Apparently the company was so baffled that a bar on Fort Ave in Baltimore was selling that much Chartreuse that some reps came to visit. The owner told me he's not sure how it started, but Chartreuse Vert is the house drink (and apparently that makes things get pretty crazy on most nights). That was the first time I've had it-- pretty tasty :) I agree with Mark, though-- one is enough.

Next time you're in Baltimore, visit the Idle Hour. According to the owner, they go through more Chartreuse than any bar on the east coast (they have the empty bottles displayed around the bar to back it up). Apparently the company was so baffled that a bar on Fort Ave in Baltimore was selling that much Chartreuse that some reps came to visit. The owner told me he's not sure how it started, but Chartreuse Vert is the house drink (and apparently that makes things get pretty crazy on most nights). That was the first time I've had it-- pretty tasty :) I agree with Mark, though-- one is enough.
Happy hour? Perhaps when baseball season starts up again?

Cider question but I thought this was the right place, Anyone know where to find Wyder's cider. I got the last 6 pack at Chevy Chase and they said that was the last one they will be getting. Beth loves this stuff so I want to find a new supplier.

Tomorrow when I'm not running from work to a hockey game let me look in DeVino's as they may very well have it- they have a startlingly good cider and beer selection for being a wine store.

I have been looking for a Milk Chokolate Godiva Liquor product. I almost gave up looking for it, when I found a medium brown colored product from Godiva that is their cappuccino product. But checking the Godiva web site there is such a Milk chocolate product.

Has anyone seen it at a retail store in our area?

I have been looking for a Milk Chokolate Godiva Liquor product. I almost gave up looking for it, when I found a medium brown colored product from Godiva that is their cappuccino product. But checking the Godiva web site there is such a Milk chocolate product.

Has anyone seen it at a retail store in our area?

It is not available in the D.C. market, but one never knows when that could change. It is a new product, according to their website:

http://www.godiva.com/liqueur/main.aspx and they call it Chocolate Cream liqueur, not milk chocolate, just f.y.i.

You might try Maryland or Virginia. Those are different markets.

I have tried Virginia. It is not listed in thier big bookof products. Montgomery County didn't have it on their shelf, and the clerk didn't know what I was talking about.

There is Montgomery County and then there is the rest of the State. Seriously, they are essentially different markets. Try Silesia Liquors, near Fort Washington (minutes from the Wilson Bridge), they are probably the best wine and spirits store in the whole State of Maryland. If they don't have it, or can't get it, then no one in Maryland can.

An article in the (rather excellent) current issue of Gastronomica has me intrigued by the archaic Florentine liqueur confectio alchermes, aka kermes. (Despite what the linked reference says, the original recipe called for kermes, a different insect-based dye than cochineal.) Once popular as a cordial, it is also the traditional ingredient used to infuse Italian baked sweets and zuppa inglese with a streak of vermilion and some spice, but has become so uncommon that modern dyes and flavorings are typically used these days.

Anybody know if alchermes can be found in DC?

An article in the (rather excellent) current issue of Gastronomica has me intrigued by the archaic Florentine liqueur confectio alchermes, aka kermes. (Despite what the linked reference says, the original recipe called for kermes, a different insect-based dye than cochineal.) Once popular as a cordial, it is also the traditional ingredient used to infuse Italian baked sweets and zuppa inglese with a streak of vermilion and some spice, but has become so uncommon that modern dyes and flavorings are typically used these days.

Anybody know if alchermes can be found in DC?

This line scares me:
Originally it was prepared by the monks of the Florentine church of Santa Maria Novella...

The monks of Santa Maria Novella also ran a hospital and morgue. I hope that bugs were the only thing that went into kremes. By the way, this is the same morgue where Leonardo di Vinci started doing his surreptitious dissections.

Anyone have any idea where one can pick up some Amer Picon? It's a bitter that's used in Picon Punch, something from my hometown Basque restaurant that I'm trying to recreate.

I've tried tracking this stuff down. No luck. However I do know of a local restauranteur that brings back a bottle or two every year if you've got an immediate hankering.

If you're looking for obscure stuff, there is a liquor store in Germantown(right next to the rustic oven restaurant, sorry thats the only detail that stuck in my head about its location) that has an unbelievable selection: Velvet Falernum, Aperol, Warrninks egg, tons of luxardo products, borsci. They have one of the better liqeur selections I've seen here in DC.