Tiffany Tavern, King Street in Old Town - Owner Nancy Herman Serving Burgers and Bluegrass for over Thirty Years - Closed

Somebody brought this place up when we were discussing bluegrass music last night. Looks like they do open mike Monday-Thursday starting at 8:30pm, and have actual bands on the weekends. Is it worth the trip from DC? How's the grub?

Website

1116 King Street, Alexandria

(703) 836-8844

I happened to walk by here just yesterday. There are several restaurants on this strip, but if I'm remembering correctly, Tiffany Tavern is the one that has a little sign in the window that says "$1.00 Off Burgers Every Tuesday Night."

A dollar!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Might have to be one of these deals:

1) Go to Eamonn's for fish and chips

2) Walk the (what looks like) 3.5 blocks to Tiffany, in the process offsetting some of the calories just consumed.

3) Offset the walking exercise by drinking beer and listening to bluegrass.

Excellent.

Somebody brought this place up when we were discussing bluegrass music last night. Looks like they do open mike Monday-Thursday starting at 8:30pm, and have actual bands on the weekends. Is it worth the trip from DC? How's the grub?
If you're into bluegrass (and I think you are fe), it's absolutely worth the trip, especially for the Friday and Saturday shows. They get some very good bands in there and it's a small, cozy venue, with no cover. (you might even see local TV guy and banjo player Doug McElway perform once in a while)

I'm not sure about the $1 off burgers sign, but I do know there is one that says 'best burgers in town'. I haven't tried the burgers, but have had a sandwich or two over the years (Reuben) and it was just fine - nothing super-special, but what you'd expect in that kind of a place.

As it says on the website, they've been around for 27 years - I hope they're around for another 27.

While this isn't recent news, I was saddened to learn that Ted Karanikolas, who had owned Tiffany Tavern for 30 years, passed away on February 15. He was always a gentle presence behind the bar.

It's good to see that his wife, Nancy Herman, has kept the place going as one of the best spots around for live bluegrass on Friday and Saturday nights and very good open mic nights Mondays-Thursdays.

While this isn't recent news, I was saddened to learn that Ted Karanikolas, who had owned Tiffany Tavern for 30 years, passed away on February 15. He was always a gentle presence behind the bar.

It's good to see that his wife, Nancy Herman, has kept the place going as one of the best spots around for live bluegrass on Friday and Saturday nights and very good open mic nights Mondays-Thursdays.

That's sad - I hadn't heard that. We used to play that open mic - it was a good meeting joint for all kinds of musicians I would eventually befriend. Ευχαριστώ, Ted.

Very sad news...it appears that Tiffany Tavern has closed.

Definitely a loss to Old Town and the DC area. Not many other places in the area where you can hear live bluegrass regularly.

This is a shame. Could always count on Tiffany Tavern as a great place to meet up with friends for some ice cold beers.

• Like 2

I got a message from La Fromagerie informing me the sign on the door says "Closed for vacation and renovation."

As we all know, that often also means "and hopefully a change in ownership if we can sell the business," but I don't know about this specific case.

I got a message from La Fromagerie informing me the sign on the door says "Closed for vacation and renovation."

As we all know, that often also means "and hopefully a change in ownership if we can sell the business," but I don't know about this specific case.

It said that ^ last Thursday evening. On Sunday it just said "Closed". I think the DC Bluegrass Union page that I linked to is pretty reliable, as they say they got the information directly from Nancy Herman:

Tiffany Tavern Closes!

I have been informed by Nancy Herman of Tiffany's, that due to health issues, she has decided to

close down after more than 30 years of great music in Old Town Alexandria, VA...

Having played there myself in years past, I know the music, comaraderie and fun shall be missed!.. Bill Foster

I do hope that a bluegrass-loving individual will take it over and keep things going.

ETA: Tiffany Tavern posted the following on their Facebook page yesterday evening:

Tiffany Tavern is now closed. After 33 years

in business, we have decided to retire. We'd like to thank all the great

musicians, patrons, and staff we've had the privilege of knowing over

the years.

We are going to be selling the Tiffany Tavern

business and/or leasing the building to another business. If you're an

experienced operator and are interested in Tiffany Tavern or 1116 King

Street as a business opportunity, please contact us at

mgmt@tiffanytavern.com.

Thanks again for all the memories!

• Like 1

Right now it's a Tex-Mex place called Las Cuates.

Oh, you're right - the article I cited was outdated: It is indeed the second branch of North Georgetown's Los Cuates. I've never been to the new branch, but was unimpressed with what I had in Georgetown.