Old Hickory Grille, Route 198 in Burtonsville - The Original Location with New Ownership as of Summer, 2015

This is the original location of the Old Hickory Grille (I understand that there are several more now, but I've not been to any of them) and has been here for years. It has become a standby when we are in the mood for a steak salad or roast chicken.

The place has expanded over the years but still maintains its original flavor. It has a definite Cajun slant, what with fried oysters and oyster po'boys, Cajun spring rolls, etc., but it is still best to stick to the tried and true.

The kitchen/grill is open and you can watch as they prepare your food. The roast chicken is excellent, marinated for 24 hours then slow roasted. It is my son's favorite. I love the steak salad, a huge salad with perfectly grilled steak, balsamic marinated and sauted onions and your choice of dressing. I really like the horseradish dressing. The ribs are huge and meaty, not the little baby backs that some places sell (though I did notice the last time I was there that you could get babybacks, a downturn in my view) and there is a nice "cowboy" steak on the menu frequently.

The fried oysters are excellent, lightly breaded in cornmeal and served on a bed of the horseradish dressing with a corn and tomato salsa. The fries are thin, crispy, and come in a huge pile, and the mashed potatos are excellent. The BBQ beans are a little sweet for my taste, and the cole slaw could use a little more kick. Service is very friendly and efficient. When you first come in you get a basket of home made cornbread biskets and white biskets. Hot and tasty. There is a wine list, but it is ordinary and forgetable. I like the iced tea.

While this is not necessarily a destination, it is a very good stop on the way home if you are in the area and even worth a little of a drive if your are not. And right next door is Rita's for some italian ice.

I used to love this place in high school- haven't been in about 10 years, but now that you have me thinking about it, might go this weekend with the 'rents (is their Columbia location still around? Is it as good?). I remember loving the cornbread muffins, Bourbon Street Pasta (with cajun grilled chicken- spicy, but a bit too oily sometimes), and a side of those awesome mashed potatoes. Do they have sweet tea? If so, that seals the deal.

I used to love this place in high school- haven't been in about 10 years, but now that you have me thinking about it, might go this weekend with the 'rents (is their Columbia location still around?  Is it as good?).  I remember loving the cornbread muffins, Bourbon Street Pasta (with cajun grilled chicken- spicy, but a bit too oily sometimes), and a side of those awesome mashed potatoes.  Do they have sweet tea?  If so, that seals the deal.

I think they have sweet tea, but since I drink my iced tea straight, just ice and tea, no lemon, no sugar, no straw, no spoon, I can't say for sure. BTW, last night they had a crabcake platter, two large crabcakes for $19.95. My wife ordered it and it was excellent. No filler, large lumps of crab, and absolutely delish. And on Tuesdays the second entree is half price.

I've eaten at the Falls Church Location, It's right next to my house. I wasn't very impressed, good chocolate shake, nice drop biscuits, foul "smoked" ribs special. All I could eat St. Louis style ribs, that were tough and lacked any good smokey flavor, but DID have the distinct flavor of burnt wood, like when you first tried to smoke something in college and thought wood from the yard would work...that flavor....so all I could eat was three ribs, I hoped the second batch would be better but no such luck. I have however had an excellent brisket and pastrami sandwich with coleslaw and fries at the Celeberty Delly next door, now that I would definately return for as well as the Pho at Pho 75 across the street.

Tony,

Sorry to hear that, it doesn't sound at all like the Burtonsville location. While I don't normally get the ribs there (I much perfer the ones at Urban BBQ) the ones in Burtonsville are not St. Louis style ribs, but rather the full size ones. Actually that is the main reason I don't get them, I much prefer St. Louis style ribs or even babybacks to the big suckers.

Opinions, please, from the peanut gallery on Old Hickory Grille in Burtonsville. Any standouts? What should I avoid?

I haven't been in a long time, but if they still have the same owner (the guy that went to Paint Branch High School), they make a good chicken salad sandwich - it's made with their own chicken, and has bacon on top.

Cheers,
Rocks.

A few years back, in the space that is now Amici Miei in Potomac, they had a second location of OHG.

Went once. Eh. Generic family-style American food. Nothing bad, nothing great, but I thought the prices were a couple of bucks too high. It was gone before I could consider a second visit.

I go to the one in Burtonsville on occasion. They make the best steak salad I've ever had. It is huge and I love the horseradish dressing you can order with it.

They also make great fries, the thin crispy kind that I love. Pretty good roast chicken too. I also like the fried oysters.

My wife and I went back after not having been there in years.  The server told us that the place had changed hands about a month ago but the menu was pretty much the same.  However, the same cannot be said for the food.  Let me start by saying that the service was very good.  And the cornbread muffins that come to the table are still wonderful.  However, the ribs were blah to "just OK" at best.  The BBQ beans that came as a side were thin and without much flavor at all.  The coleslaw was good, and the shoestring fries good too.  My wife's steak salad on the other hand was not as good as we remembered, and we had to ask for the horseradish dressing and it has been toned down so much as to make it unrecognizable.

Not going to add it back into the rotation.