Eventide, Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed For Good Sunday, Nov 16, 2014

Simple answer really...when we first started doing brunch, we sent out our biscuits...and they were so popular, that people were too eating WAY too many of them, taking way too long to order off the menu as a result of their free "appetizers" and ordering less food off the menu itself. It's the day off for our resident biscuit maker anyway and we don't want inconsistent product going out, which is why we don't offer to sell them by the basketful and charge for them.

Another reason to come by for dinner, I guess... ;)

Has any tried the BPLT? That is so intriguing!

I had the BPLT for brunch today and really enjoyed it. The fried plantains add an interesting sweetness to the BLT. My only complaint was that the fried plantains were a little starchy/undercooked. Brunch at Eventide is a great value.

I too was in for brunch this morning, and quite enjoyed the fried chicken and biscuit w/gravy. Is this the same as the dinner one, or are there there different types of biscuits?

The same recipe, but a lot bigger in size. We sell about 30-35 orders of the Chicken and Biscuit (glad you liked it!) each Sunday, so we roll them out on Saturday night and bake them fresh on Sunday mornings. I'm a big fan of that dish myself!

The same recipe, but a lot bigger in size. We sell about 30-35 orders of the Chicken and Biscuit (glad you liked it!) each Sunday, so we roll them out on Saturday night and bake them fresh on Sunday mornings. I'm a big fan of that dish myself!

My husband got this dish. I ate the rest of his biscuit after dipping it in the maple syrup from another's plate. (now that I confess that, I"m slightly embarrassed). I still needed more sweet after that but understand and respect a business decision.

Had dinner at Eventide tonight.

I’ll be honest, I came in skeptical because I’m usually underwhelmed by $40 a person upscale-seasonal -farm-to-table whatever you want to call them restaurants. Also, I could give two craps about décor or service (so long as I get what I ordered I’m fine) or plating or any of that foo-foo stuff. Some people care about that and I get it but it’s just not important to me.

On to the food…

The amuse bouche was, I think, a spring pea risotto fritter with a mint crème fraiche. It was fine but very heavy. The biscuits that soon followed—which I had been looking forward to-- were outrageously buttery and really delicious. I mean, damn, those were good.

Apps…Bison tartare, pork belly roulade, carrot soup, scallops.

I liked the bison tartare but it didn’t pop—it was just sort of mild across the board. I expected more punch and tang from the accompanying cranberry mustard and the aji amarillo aioli. But that’s nit-picking. It’s a good dish. The pork belly roulade was rich and tasty but it bothered me that the pickled mushrooms and red pepper jam that came with it were literally in teaspoon servings. I felt like the pickled mushrooms MADE the dish and to me it would be better with a good quarter cup of them on the plate-- they really cut through the pork belly (I know the owner reads this thread…is that the sort of thing I can ask for extra of, or would that be too weird at a place like Eventide?…or could I ask for extra when I’m ordering it, like “Yeah, I’ll have the roulade, but with extra pickled mushrooms please”). The 3 scallops themselves were near-perfect, but I didn’t care for the accompanying smoked mushroom puree and oregano pesto. The carrot soup was fine but I wouldn’t get it again.

I’d recommend all but the carrot soup but I wouldn’t expect to be bowled over by any of them. They are just good and clean and well-executed—not swoon-worthy to me.

Entrees….mushroom risotto ,pork chops with all kinds of crap.

The mushroom risotto was rich and plentiful with meat mushrooms. I could never eat a whole bowl of the stuff but for what it was it was very, very good. The pork chops were a tad overcooked but still tasty because they were well-brined. The myriad of accompaniments to the pork were all pretty good, especially the fava beans and what I think was grilled kale. Portions were generous.

Desserts…banana cigars with butterscotch semifreddo, dense chocolate thingy.

The banana cigars themselves were novel and good, especially the phyllo shell. But the butterscotch semifreddo was absolutely incredible. One of the best bites of food I’ve had in a long time. Just great. The chocolate “terrine” was very dense and chocolatey—some people like that, some hate it. I thought it was good.

If I had the money, Eventide is the sort of place I’d visit each season to try out the menu for that season. But for now, I’ll only go back if someone else is paying. I just can’t stomach paying 40 or 50 bucks unless the food blows my mind (yes, I’m that cheap).

Still, my overall first impression was a good one. This place is clearly trying hard and putting effort into each component of each dish. And simply based on what you read on this thread you can tell the owner is really committed to putting out great food and pleasing his customers. I think it will only get better and I’m sure there are some knock-out dishes to come in the summer.

I liked the bison tartare but it didn’t pop—it was just sort of mild across the board. I expected more punch and tang from the accompanying cranberry mustard and the aji amarillo aioli. But that’s nit-picking. It’s a good dish. The pork belly roulade was rich and tasty but it bothered me that the pickled mushrooms and red pepper jam that came with it were literally in teaspoon servings. I felt like the pickled mushrooms MADE the dish and to me it would be better with a good quarter cup of them on the plate-- they really cut through the pork belly (I know the owner reads this thread…is that the sort of thing I can ask for extra of, or would that be too weird at a place like Eventide?…or could I ask for extra when I’m ordering it, like “Yeah, I’ll have the roulade, but with extra pickled mushrooms please”). The 3 scallops themselves were near-perfect, but I didn’t care for the accompanying smoked mushroom puree and oregano pesto. The carrot soup was fine but I wouldn’t get it again.

The mushroom risotto was rich and plentiful with meat mushrooms. I could never eat a whole bowl of the stuff but for what it was it was very, very good. The pork chops were a tad overcooked but still tasty because they were well-brined. The myriad of accompaniments to the pork were all pretty good, especially the fava beans and what I think was grilled kale. Portions were generous.

The banana cigars themselves were novel and good, especially the phyllo shell. But the butterscotch semifreddo was absolutely incredible. One of the best bites of food I’ve had in a long time. Just great. The chocolate “terrine” was very dense and chocolatey—some people like that, some hate it. I thought it was good.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal! We try to provide different flavoring components on each plate so the diner can try a few flavor combinations without having a plate of food "deconstructed" for them. (We don't care to do food that is deconstructed or food that is so one-note that after the third bite, you're eating it with a sense of duty.) I'm glad you liked the pickled mushrooms. You can certainly always ask for extra--if we have enough for the rest of service (they're made fresh daily), you'll certainly be welcome to have few more.

I understand that you didn't find everything to be a home run, but tastes are quite subjective. Sounds like you had a good time! Cheers.

I had the Locavore Salad last week. I don't usually order salads...but damn, was that delicious. I can't stop thinking about going back and getting it again...

It was chicken, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, bacon, onions, mushrooms, on greens with a vinaigrette. Seriously delicious.

Went to Eventide for brunch on Sunday with the +1. It was the first time I've been in the dining room proper, usually opting for sitting at the bar and chatting with Steve when I come in. The dining room was beautiful and I love the brick everywhere. I had the fried chicken and biscuit with a side of grits and the +1 had the corned pork belly hash. Everything was delicious and wonderfully seasoned. I think the chicken won the best dish award but nothing was a miss at all. And though a small part of the overall meal, the coffee deserves a separate mention because it was soooo good!

Keep up the good work! Cheers!

I had the Locavore Salad last week. I don't usually order salads...but damn, was that delicious. I can't stop thinking about going back and getting it again...

It was chicken, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, bacon, onions, mushrooms, on greens with a vinaigrette. Seriously delicious.

Ha! Just have had this thread on my mind when I stopped in with a wonderful friend on Saturday night (Go CAPS!). The only clarifications (because it's a girl-thing) to point out are: a. This is big enough to share, which is worth spliting at its $14 or $16 price point; b. it was pickled-onions and sherry-bacon vinegarette; and c. there were some gently roasted baby tomatoes marinated in something with a kick that round a lovely flavor when combined all said ingredients together for one bite.

The best thing that the lettuce wasn't limp when I brought for lunch today, so the dressing was nice and light.

**Hm, can you tell by the last few posts who now has cots in the back??

The only clarifications (because it's a girl-thing) to point out are: a. This is big enough to share, which is worth spliting at its $14 or $16 price point?[/size]

There is a $100 fee per table for sharing food between two girls. $500 if it's two boys. $1000 if either of the two (no matter what gender) are Redskins fans.

There is a $100 fee per table for sharing food between two girls. $500 if it's two boys. $1000 if either of the two (no matter what gender) are Redskins fans.

Haven't those poor skins fans paid dearly enough? I mean they were mentioned in the same breath this season as my dear little lost Lambs. Have you no decency sir? Ahhhh screw it, stick it to 'em. :lol:

On a related note, the T.O. signing party will be next door at Spider Kelly's--Dave, I saved you a front row seat! Then, I'm bringing him to Eventide so he and Donovan can split the Locavore salad--damn the fee!

We don't agree on everything on this board, but I am sure we can all agree that the Skins are pretty much a lock for the Super Bowl now that all the pieces are in place, right? The fact is certain things in the NFL--offensive lineman, coaching consistency, depth at all positions--are just plain overrated. What matters is big names, big plays and gauging the most loyal fans in football.

That's my team...I still love them. Alas.

I hate to say this, but I was a bit disappointed in my meal in the lounge last night. I've very much enjoyed both my meals in the main dining room (one for dinner and one for brunch), yet dinner last night fell a little flat.

After reading about the Locavore Salad (it's not updated yet on the online menu, but includes something like Bell & Evans chicken, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, bacon, pickled onions, enoki mushrooms, oven roasted tomatoes, on greens with a bacon sherry vinaigrette - $14) above, I was excited to try it. All of the ingredients really do sound great, and it is in fact a huge salad, but neither the +1 or I fell in love with it. Other than a slight sheen visible on the lettuce, there wasn't much dressing at all. Now, I'm not a fan of overdressed salads, but I would've at least liked to taste this amazing sounding bacon and sherry dressing! Also, there couldn't have been more than a few small pieces of bacon floating around in there (and coming from a bacon-a-holic, that was disappointing). The chicken, however, was plentiful and was really delicious. I like salads with lots of "stuff," and this one did have good stuff...just not enough of some of it.

The Meatless Mushroom “Burger” (Arugula pesto; served on grilled croissant - $10) wasn't really our favorite either. I love mushrooms and I love croissants, but there was something either a little underseasoned or just not quite flavorful about this "burger." Again, neither of us really came away thinking we'd order that again.

I'll certainly be back to Eventide in the future, but I guess I just have two fewer choices now when I'm deciding what to order.

The Meatless Mushroom “Burger” (Arugula pesto; served on grilled croissant - $10) wasn't really our favorite either. I love mushrooms and I love croissants, but there was something either a little underseasoned or just not quite flavorful about this "burger." Again, neither of us really came away thinking we'd order that again.

We had brunch here in October. I loved the mushroom burger but was puzzled that it was between a really sweet croissant. I just looked at the current brunch menu, and very litlle has changed,. Perhaps it is time to trot out a new menu. Dave?

We had brunch here in October. I loved the mushroom burger but was puzzled that it was between a really sweet croissant. I just looked at the current brunch menu, and very litlle has changed,. Perhaps it is time to trot out a new menu. Dave?

Wha??!! The only mainstays on the brunch menu are the pork belly hash, the mushroom burger and the BPLT, based on our guests' love of those dishes. All of the other dishes have been rotating and changing almost every two months or so ever since we've been open.

The newest dishes are the Sausage & Egg Grilled Flatbread, Fried Chicken & Biscuit and the Roast Beef Sandwich, just put on the menu about three or four weeks ago.

Wha??!! The only mainstays on the brunch menu are the pork belly hash, the mushroom burger and the BPLT, based on our guests' love of those dishes. All of the other dishes have been rotating and changing almost every two months or so ever since we've been open.

The newest dishes are the Sausage & Egg Grilled Flatbread, Fried Chicken & Biscuit and the Roast Beef Sandwich, just put on the menu about three or four weeks ago.

Thanks, Dave. Mea Culpa. Will make brunch reservations and try some of your new dishes. Have you thought about surrounding your mushroom burger with less sweet pillows?

Thanks, Dave. Mea Culpa. Will make brunch reservations and try some of your new dishes. Have you thought about surrounding your mushroom burger with less sweet pillows?

Frankly, we tried so many different kinds of bread with that sandwich when we were developing it. Because of it's soft texture, any kind of bread simply won't do. Crusty (and soft roll) breads squash the mushroom patty as soon as you take a bite and the shrooms squeeze out the sides. Toasted, lighter breads a la brioche got too soggy almost immediately, then turned into a crumbly mess. Then, we tried the croissant. It does have a touch of sweetness, hence the reason for the nice, bitter green/peppery taste of the arugula pesto to act as a counterpoint. Together, we feel (as do a lot of our guests) that the pesto balances well with the herbacious, earthy mushroom burger and the barely sweet croissant. I don't see us changing the bread any time soon, to be honest. I just totally got hungry thinking about this damned sandwich. :lol:

Frankly, we tried so many different kinds of bread with that sandwich when we were developing it. Because of it's soft texture, any kind of bread simply won't do. Crusty (and soft roll) breads squash the mushroom patty as soon as you take a bite and the shrooms squeeze out the sides. Toasted, lighter breads a la brioche got too soggy almost immediately, then turned into a crumbly mess. Then, we tried the croissant. It does have a touch of sweetness, hence the reason for the nice, bitter green/peppery taste of the arugula pesto to act as a counterpoint. Together, we feel (as do a lot of our guests) that the pesto balances well with the herbacious, earthy mushroom burger and the barely sweet croissant. I don't see us changing the bread any time soon, to be honest. I just totally got hungry thinking about this damned sandwich. :lol:

Thanks, Dave. I in an awe of your professionalism and responsiveness.

Thanks, Dave. I in an awe of your professionalism and responsiveness.

Hey, I'm just a squirrel tryin' to get a nut. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding ET, shoot me a PM. Always happy to respond!

(Unless I just don't plain agree with you...then I'll generally just read your post and move on with my day.)

Hey, I'm just a squirrel tryin' to get a nut. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding ET, shoot me a PM. Always happy to respond!

(Unless I just don't plain agree with you...then I'll generally just read your post and move on with my day.)

My father was a restauranteur (what a quaint term) many years ago in New Jersey (1951-1962), and he was fanatical about sourcing and quality. He worked seven days a week and around midnight twice a week he would drive to the produce market in Newark--20 miles away-- to buy the best ingredients. I sense that you are comparably committed.

Finally got to try dinner here at the main dining room (I had grabbed a snack in the bar a couple of times but nothing more than that up till now) and have to say there is a whole lot of good stuff going on here, even if there are a few problems.

Started with the Roasted Pork Belly Roulade. Served in three very thin slices, the combination of the pork belly (which was leaner than I would have expected) with the fennel was out of sight. It was accompanied with a red bell pepper jam that paired very nicely with the pork-i-ness of the meat without being overly sweet or cloying. There was also a small pile bits of mushrooms on the side. I took the first bite of these and ZING whoa what is going on over there! I hadn't read the menu perhaps as closely as I should have. PICKLED mushroom. Provided a very nice zing as a contrast to the jam. The one thing I really took away from the whole dish was how can a pork belly appetizer possibly come off as being light, but it was. Almost refreshing. A nice change from many overly-heavy pork belly renditions that leave you feeling kind of greasy and bloated for the rest of the meal.

For the entree, the Compart Farms Pork Chop. I was intrigued by the "smashed white hominy" side that came with it (which ended up being an appropriately blank slate to prop up the many diverse flavors going on in the rest of the dish.) It also came with a fava bean ragout (very nice texture), a really smashing chorizo sausage and some sour cherries. Playing with different combinations of the flavors brought out quite a few distinct variations and was a lot of fun.

As for the meat itself, half of the chop was served in about 3/8" slices with the remainder standing up on the sliced end with the bone jutting up out of the entree. The slices of meat were juicy and flavorful with just enough crust to give it a nice crunch at times. Unfortunately, once I got to the intact half of the chop - first slice, medium rare. Not a good thing for pork. Second slice close to raw. Eek. But at this point I was just about full anyway and the waiter and chef both sent apologies and comped the dessert and coffee so I was pretty happy anyway.

For me (complementary!) dessert, a macadamia nut tart with coconut ice cream. Very nice - the macadamias still had enough crunch to be interested and the ice cream complimented it well.

Other than the underdone pork chop the entire meal was really very solid, and they were gracious enough about it to make me more than willing to come back again.

One complaint, though, which I think others have mentioned. The music really did start to bug me after awhile. It just doesn't seem to match the decor or tone of the rest of the place. Hard to concentrate on your delicious food while having to listen to a seemingly endless recording of "The Hustle" (that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh - repeat 147 times. Ugh.)

One complaint, though, which I think others have mentioned. The music really did start to bug me after awhile. It just doesn't seem to match the decor or tone of the rest of the place. Hard to concentrate on your delicious food while having to listen to a seemingly endless recording of "The Hustle" (that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh - repeat 147 times. Ugh.)

Glad you enjoyed your meal and I'm happy to hear that my staff acted appropriately when you were served an undercooked chop. Please accept my apologies as well!

As for the music...I just checked the SIRIUS radio that we have linked to the dining room. It looks like it was indeed not changed over from the station the servers were listening to yesterday during setup and it was on the disco channel. Doh! We usually just play adult contemporary music in the dining room. (I am sure that the staff probably noticed at various points through the evening but probably thought it was a nice change of pace. :D I was at home last night caring for my daughter with my wife out of town, so I wasn't at the restaurant to notice the oversight.)

Had I been there, it would have been playing Adult Contemporary...or Death Metal. :lol:

As for the music...I just checked the SIRIUS radio that we have linked to the dining room. It looks like it was indeed not changed over from the station the servers were listening to yesterday during setup and it was on the disco channel. Doh! We usually just play adult contemporary music in the dining room. (I am sure that the staff probably noticed at various points through the evening but probably thought it was a nice change of pace. :blink: I was at home last night caring for my daughter with my wife out of town, so I wasn't at the restaurant to notice the oversight.)

Had I been there, it would have been playing Adult Contemporary...or Death Metal. :lol:

What to do when you have Disco Staff, but Rock 'N' Roll Customers? :D

Fantastic dinner Saturday night at Eventide. Start to finish, one of the better experiences we have had dining recently.

We started at the bar for my favorite Cooper Bros. Cocktail for me and a "very dirty" Hendricks martini for myself. The bartender was very kind in concocting a palatable martini for my wife who is admittedly not a huge martini fan but found this drink quite enjoyable.

Ushered upstairs, we were seated on the left side of the restaurant against the wall with a good view of the dining room. To start, I ordered the asparagus & egg duxelle and my wife ordered the cucumber white gazpacho. We were both blown away. My dish was comprised of a hard cooked egg with the yolk removed and replaced with duxelle, accompanied by lightly dressed mixed greens and thin stalks of perfectly charred but still crisp asparagus. Simply fantastic. The egg and mushroom combination should not be missed. My wife's gazpacho received an equally enthusiastic reception. White gazpacho, redolent mostly of cucumbers, but kicked up nicely by the addition of smoked mussels and a swirl of chili oil. Perfect springtime appetizer.

Entrees, again, were top notch. I opted for the spring vegetable farrotto and was more than pleased. A risotto of farro mixed with fava beans, asparagus tips, peas, and spring onions as well as a generous helping of pecorino romano. The flavor was fantastic, the farro was cooked to the point where it still had a bit of texture without being mushy, and, most impressively, was that each vegetable component was cooked perfectly despite obviously having different cooking times required. Very impressive. My wife ordered the halibut served over fregola pasta with peas and pickled ramps. The fish was perfectly seared and its mild flavor was perfect for combining with the other springtime flavors on the plate. Nicely executed, simple dish.

We paired the meal with a Fess Parker viognier which was also quite enjoyable. We skipped dessert, instead opting for a liquid dessert at a table on the rooftop deck. It was a beautiful evening to sit outside and we enjoyed it very much up there. There was a crowd at the bar on the roof but our service was prompt and courteous. I didn't love drinking a campari & soda out of a plastic cup but that's a small gripe in what was otherwise a fantastic evening. Eventide is raising the bar for neighborhood dining in this area.

Say "hi" next time (depending on what time you were there, of course. I think I was there around 6pm). The rooftop is open and Steve is making two kinds of punches for punch-lovers out there. Based on their descriptions (of course, I forgot to write them down), they sounds wonderfully summer-refreshing!

The lounge menu has also been shaken up a bit, but the loved bison sliders are there still. New items included a Mexican torta.

Rooftop had a line going by the time I left, I believe...

I took two friends to Eventide last night and everything was perfect, although with my pre-inflationary mentality, the prices are a bit higher than I would like. I had the chicken with a calamari appetizer. One thing that is most interesting is how the place is actually split into three different venues, the lounge on the main floor, the staid restaurant, and the catering to the younger crowd rooftop. From the rooftop, we could see the crowds at the Clarendon Ballroom and it seemed that everyone between 21 and 30 was on that block last night. From someone who can remember all the Vietnames luggage shops from years ago, this is quite a dramatic and welcome change.

I took two friends to Eventide last night

Say hi next time. :lol:

From the rooftop, we could see the crowds at the Clarendon Ballroom and it seemed that everyone between 21 and 30 was on that block last night. From someone who can remember all the Vietnames luggage shops from years ago, this is quite a dramatic and welcome change.

This is a candidate for the single busiest block of restaurant activity in the history of Washington, DC. (I suppose you could make a case for Union Station Food Court, Washington Harbor in the summer, Tysons Corner Mall, Verizon Center, Nationals Stadium, etc.), but for "normal" commerce? I can't think of anything that comes close. Funny thing is, I wonder how many "covers" a busy McDonald's does in a day.

Last night a couple of friends of mine and I went to Eventide, as they've been wanting to go there for a while. Despite the enormous crowd on the roof the bar was pretty empty when we got over there around 8 PM, though it had filled up a bit by the time we left just short of 10 PM.

We started with the fries, always solid. Mike got the locavore salad, which I've ranted about before, and he commented on how "it never ends". His wife got the chicken and waffles and absolutely loved them. I got the hanger steak, which was fine and satiated my red meat craving, but the real winner of the night were the "The Love" Mussels. $10 gets you 15-20 PEI mussels, cooked with Starr Hill's "The Love" wheat beer, ancho chilis, soppressetta, and citrus. It was freaking amazing.

Of course, washed it all down with a couple of Steve's cocktails, including one made with Fernet, gin, pineapple and orange juices...I can't remember all what else but it was all I could do to avoid knocking it back in one drink.

It helps solidify in my opinion that Eventide is my favorite "bar" in Virginia right now, and when it comes to "cocktails plus food" it's right up in the top 2-3 in the area for me.

For the entree, the Compart Farms Pork Chop.... Unfortunately, once I got to the intact half of the chop - first slice, medium rare. Not a good thing for pork.

I was in the dining room last night with some friends celebrating a gradutation. The biscuits and a nice little amuse of potato croquettes got things off on a nice foot, although the croquettes were NOT hot, and tasted as though they'd been out of the fryer for a few minutes. The biscuits are worthy of all the praise given in prior posts. Even better was a bison tartare with a good amount of cornichons and capers mixed in with the meat. Perfect balance of flavors to compliment but not overpower the strong taste of bison. Buttery, delicious, and a nice take on the classic. Plus a little of the cranberry mustard that came on the plate served me well when it made its way on my biscuit.

For entrees I went with the baby goat with achiote pappardelle. Just a fantastic plate of food. Smokey, rich (braised goat doesn't necessarily need coconut milk but lord knows it didn't mind it) and with a very generous portion of the braised meat. I almost wished it was 40 degrees colder because this would be a perfect winter dish. It was so damn good I didn't care though. The gf got the pork chop which suffered from the same slight undercooking as quoted above. The other flavors (sour cherries, a smashing side of chorizo) were spot on with this dish but it was too tough (read: underdone) for my taste. I also managed to steal one bite of our friend's lamb loin, which was perfectly cooked and delicious.

Despite a few minor temperature quibbles I came away VERY impressed with the service, presentation, and most importantly the quality of food coming out of the kitchen at Eventide. They're doing a hell of a job on the 2nd floor and while I could happily come back and order the exact same thing again I'm looking forward to trying the bar and roof menus as well.

My wife and I had a too rare date night dinner last night. We chose Eventide and it was a great choice. She had a salad appetizer, the beef tenderloin, and the chocolate terrine. I ordered three appetizers - the cucumber gazpacho, bison tartare, and the squid pepperonata - with the latter two serving as my entree, and the macadamia nut tart for dessert. The dishes were well-conceived and well-prepared. The gazpacho was a wonderful summer soup with the smoked mussels providing a great contrast to cool, refreshing cucumber. My wife's steak was cooked a perfect medium rare and was tender and flavorful. The cranberry mustard on the side of the tartare was a great touch. It was like eating two different dishes depending on whether the cranberry mustard was in the bite. Terrific atmosphere in the addition to the food.

Celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Eventide tonight. First time for us eating on the 2nd floor. I waited for the arrival of my wife, daughter and BIL at the bar. Daughter arrived first and I introduced her to Steve as one of the most skilled mixologists in the area, and told her she should order a cocktail if she was going to imbibe with us. She told Steve what her preferences were and placed herself in his hands, and he produced an apple accented Sidecar -- apparently fit the bill. My wife arrived a few minutes later and provided an even more vague indication of her preference (nether wife nor daughter are big time drinkers, for the record), and Steve again came forth with an excellent pineapple rum concoction (the curious may inquire with Steve). When we left the bar there was probably a miscommunication, because I thought they would send the half finished cocktails up, so we left them at the bar, but Steve mixed new ones and sent them up after we were already upstairs and awaiting them for awhile -- a nice and unnecessary gesture on his part. Upstairs we enjoyed excellent service from Laura. The crab salad, white gazpacho, fois gras torchons and bison tartare were shared among us -- the crab salad and tartare being almost a meal in themselves. For mains we ordered two loin of lamb and two beef tenderloins, both executed perfectly -- one lamb ordered medium rare and the other rare and you could see the difference -- albeit slight -- in the redness of the meat. IF you are a dessert person I would recommend trying the house gelato, really flavorful and rich -- good to share. Really appreciated the special gesture from Miles who sent out a cheesecake ball and chocolate truffle platter in honor of our Anny. Really great night and many thanks to everyone at Eventide for their contributions.

My daughter and her friends went on Saturday before her high school prom. I would definitely understand why a restaurant would be hesitant to to seat a large (12 people) group of teenagers on a busy night. They had no problem making a reservation. The group had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed their dinners. They were very complimentary about their server. All-in-all they had a great experience and a memorable night. My daughter says her best friend keeps talking about her meal and how she wants to introduce her parents to Eventide. Thank you, Eventide, you made them feel very welcome and you made big fans in the process.

My daughter and her friends went on Saturday before her high school prom. I would definitely understand why a restaurant would be hesitant to to seat a large (12 people) group of teenagers on a busy night. They had no problem making a reservation. The group had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed their dinners. They were very complimentary about their server. All-in-all they had a great experience and a memorable night. My daughter says her best friend keeps talking about her meal and how she wants to introduce her parents to Eventide. Thank you, Eventide, you made them feel very welcome and you made big fans in the process.

FYI, your daughter's table of friends were very respectful, well-mannered and a pleasure to serve. I'm glad they enjoyed their visit! (I also believe this may very well have been the first table of 12 that has been complete and on time for their reservation...just awesome.)

Took my Aunt and Uncle and Hubby to Eventide Lounge Friday night. I didn't know if we would be able to get in, but decided to take the chance as there were two open seats at the bar and we could have a cocktail at least. We sat down and Steve greeted us. My Aunt doesn't drink many cocktails so he started her with a Tom Collins to see what she thought. Matthew had a Country Thyme cocktail which was a little sweet, a little tart, but very fresh with all the herbs. I had the Mr. Tea, which I find very refreshing, with white tea and pear. Uncle had a Vodka tonic. We lucked out and the next two stools opened up so we decided to dine at the bar.

We started with the soft pretzel. It was my Aunt's first soft pretzel. We all enjoyed them. I love the deviled ham and their homemade mustard. I wish I could have a whole jar of that mustard. Then Aunt and I got the locavore salad, and Uncle and Hubby got bison sliders. The locavore salad is great. It is so full of good stuff that you don't feel like you are eating just a salad. It has chicken, bacon, hard boiled egg, sundried tomato and a nice bacon-sherry vinaigrette. I also stole one of Hubby's bison sliders which to me are like eating an upscale sloppy joe in a great way because they have a tomato flavor in the sauce that is really good.

Steve made a cocktail for my Aunt with St. Germaine, Gin and lemon juice that was very good, so I ordered one, as well. The boys switched to beers. And we had a nice evening that was casual and a lot of fun. They really enjoy eating at bars so this was fun, and Steve was really nice and took a lot of time to talk to us, and the other bartenders did a great job of taking care of us too. I was glad to see it was packed too.

Took my Aunt and Uncle and Hubby to Eventide Lounge Friday night. I didn't know if we would be able to get in, but decided to take the chance as there were two open seats at the bar and we could have a cocktail at least.

We were upstairs in the dining room. Grabbed an early reservation when the dining room is quiet (well, normally, but Friday night it got busy really early). The food (as usual) was excellent and the service very good.

We're putting on a wine dinner on Wednesday, July 14! Co-sponsored by The Vineyard and Roanoke Valley Wine Company, the dinner is centered around "Press Dodgers"--wines that are very small production and haven't submitted their wines to be rated by some of the big wine publications (to our knowledge). They are mostly some delicious Pinot Noirs from Oregon. Glen has tasted them all and says there isn't a loser in the bunch!

*Voirin Jumel 1er Cru Blancs de Blanc NV, Cramant, FR

*Cameron Dundee Hills Chardonnay 2007

*Crowley "Entre Nous" Pinot Noir 2007

*Cameron Clos Electrique Pinot Noir 2007

*JK Carriere Pinot Noir 2006

Food pairings include:

Oysters Cremant Mignonette with Grannysmith Apple Zabaglione, Saffron Pappardelle with Lobster, Braised Pork Belly with Parmesan Polenta, Barbecued Quail with Roasted Corn, Lamb Loin with Black Eyed Peas & Forest Mushrooms

(We're still hammering out the details of each dish and dessert, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put this out there now.)

We are limiting the amount of seats to 20 people. Dinner starts promptly at 7:30. $95 per person, inclusive of tax and gratuity.

Call me directly or email me if you would like to join us. 703-276-3165 ext. 202 or davepressley@verizon.net

We'd love to have some DR members join us for this dinner!

A quick note about the crab and melon salad I had on the rooftop deck last night...I almost fell out of my chair.

Which could have been fatal now that I think about it. Nifty.

A beautifully presented plate, three varieties of ripe, bite-sized melon, playful scoops that visually evoke a child's ice cream fantasy. They appear atop a smooth salt foam, the best a rough-surf ocean has to offer. And I mean that with the highest praise; I felt astonished with the similarity to that vivid flavor from back in my surfing days.

Tender crabmeat perfectly seasoned, and greens tasting just-picked and just-enough dressed.

I don't normally post about salads, but this was one of the best of the year.

Drinks and dinner at Eventide last night reaffirmed in my mind that this place does it right. Across the board, the drinks, bar service, dining room service and, above all, the food were all top notch.

I started with a Corpse Reviver #2 in the downstairs bar. Gin, Lillet blank, Cointreau, lemon juice served up in an absinthe rinsed martini glass. A nice concontion overall, though I tend to like my cocktails a bit more bracing and a little less lemony. It was quite refreshing on a hot evening though. It went down a bit too easily though, so lucky for me that our table was ready before I could order a third. I continue to be impressed with the cocktail offerings at the bar here. I haven't found a bad one yet.

Seated upstairs by a pleasant hostess, I was once again impressed by the dining room. The high ceilings, nicely spaced tables, and exposed brick make it a unique space. I ordered the mixed green salad to start. Nothing to bowl you over but fresh greens, lightly dressed with vinaigrette, with some morsels of (slightly overcooked) beets were a nice, light starter. Goat cheese agnolotti as an entree was impressively delicious. Nothing complicated about pillows of goat cheese and perfectly cooked peas and beans all tossed with a subtle but flavorful sauce and topped with pea shoots. I am always impressed with a chef can make such a pleasant dish out of simply prepared simple ingredients. There was no pork belly or Kobe beef or (I don't think) egregious amounts of butter to serve as a crutch for this dish to lean on and it speaks to the skill of the chef that a dish can be so good without any of that stuff. The ingredients spoke for themselves and that was plenty.

Finished up with a generous pour of moscato to cap off another fantastic evening at Eventide.

If having sex with Jessica Simpson is like crack cocaine, then eating the cashew brittle (or the salt foam from the crab and melon salad that KMango consummed) might be the next closest thing to it. Except that the brittle can only be found as a small 4x2 piece on your $9 chocolate terrine (which was also good, but just not O-so-good).

Had brunch at Eventide yesterday and it was great, well really I want to say amazing, for a brunch. I think I have been going through a hard to please or looking for different stage that ended right here. I knew it was good when we sat down and I couldn't decide what to order, really I couldn't. Also had iced tea, which is good iced tea. Hubby had the aperol spritzer which I stole lots of sips of because it was very refreshing. So I went with the first thing on my list of things I wanted to try the corned beef hash. The corned pork belly was tender and had a really nice flavor to it. The poached eggs were soft in the center (I know, I know big egg recall you are supposed to get them all well done, but I didn't even think about it till after I ate it and was fine) and very good. The Hollandaise wasn't too overpowering. Potatoes had a nice crisp and there were all around good flavors. Very satisfying.

But even though mine was really good, I ordered wrong because Hubby's Beef sandwich was amazing. I only had a bite, but the bread was incredible, crunchy, soft and tender. The beef was great, tender and soft, still rare and really flavorful, the condiments set it off perfectly. This is a must order dish.

Didn't have room for anything else. Brunch here is really a step above most brunches. Really good ingredients and more care paid to brunch then at most places.

I would put this and Tallulah at the top of brunch lists for this area.

I’m distressed; I’ll admit it. I had a very unpleasant evening at Eventide on Friday night and have been considering writing here, calling the GM, or both. As you can see, I’ve decided to write here.

Here’s the background. I’ve been to Eventide many times. I have enjoyed the food (as I have noted here) and I’ve also been impressed with service. Some of our neighbors have gone above and beyond ordinary neighborly-ness over the last few months and we (my husband and I) wanted to show them a good time. We decided on Eventide for the two reasons mentioned above, because they had not been before, and because we’ve introduced a number of our friends to Eventide and are always rewarded for doing so.

Well…we brought an extra person and Eventide could not accommodate our +1 and our 8pm reservation. Then, of the 5 entrees, two were over-salted and my fish was dry.

Since this is a food review site, I should note the following:

The fluffy grits and relish served with the halibut made it a fantastic dish even though the halibut was dry. It was not over-salted.

The smoky-ness of the bar shrimp was a treat and the serving generous.

The only problem with the bar love muscles is that they are not served with enough bread to soak up the love-juice and that problem is easily solved by asking for more bread.

As mentioned by another reviewer, the nut-brittle served with the chocolate terrine is very good as is the entire dessert.

Oh, and we ordered a couple of bottles of a by-the-glass petite syrah and it was wonderfull! Keenha, Keesha, or something similar.

The reason I decided to write here is because there were so many missteps on what for me was to be a special night, it’s made me re-think going back. And, to add irritation to irritation, they did not give me my open table points! Basta!

Our neighbors’ interpretations were these:

--Hostesses were inexperienced and lacked problem solving skills.

--over-salting happened because the chef smokes (interesting hypothesis…it was late, maybe tired?).

--staff didn’t seem to want our business.

I might go back b/c the food is so great and I’ve had a number of wonderful experiences but I think our neighbors were turned off.

Well…we brought an extra person and Eventide could not accommodate our +1 and our 8pm reservation. Then, of the 5 entrees, two were over-salted and my fish was dry.

I always try to call as soon as possible if a group number changes, but in general I know from being a hostess that 3 to 4 isn't that big of a deal or 7-8, but 4 to 5 goes from being able to be seated in a booth or a normal table to having to have a table for a larger party. Many walkways have to be kept open and you can't just add a seat for purposes of safety to many tables. And sometimes a restaurant only has so many of those size tables and many are already reserved. I don't think it is abnormal in that situation to have to wait an extra1-2 hours to get a table, at least. Not to be mean, but just as someone who has been on that other side, the hostess may have been doing as best she could to even get you a table at all.

I always try to call as soon as possible if a group number changes, but in general I know from being a hostess that 3 to 4 isn't that big of a deal or 7-8, but 4 to 5 goes from being able to be seated in a booth or a normal table to having to have a table for a larger party. Many walkways have to be kept open and you can't just add a seat for purposes of safety to many tables. And sometimes a restaurant only has so many of those size tables and many are already reserved. I don't think it is abnormal in that situation to have to wait an extra1-2 hours to get a table, at least. Not to be mean, but just as someone who has been on that other side, the hostess may have been doing as best she could to even get you a table at all.

...not to mention that it was 8 PM on a Friday night, one of the busiest hours of the week for most restaurants, at one of that neighborhood's most popular spots. It's rather ungracious to assail someone else's problem-solving skills for a problem that you, not they, created.

Our neighbors’ interpretations were these:

--Hostesses were inexperienced and lacked problem solving skills.

--over-salting happened because the chef smokes (interesting hypothesis…it was late, maybe tired?).

--staff didn’t seem to want our business.

I might go back b/c the food is so great and I’ve had a number of wonderful experiences but I think our neighbors were turned off.

I am finding the logic a bit puzzling in a couple pieces of this:

-You increased the party size for a reservation at the height of what is arguably one of the busiest nights of the week...didn't phone ahead to check, and complain about the problem solving skills of the hostess?

-How was over-salting in any way shape or form be relating to a chef smoking? How does one correlate to the other?

-Was the staff not wanting your business related to your problems with the hostesses? Or a service misstep during the meal?

-How was over-salting in any way shape or form be relating to a chef smoking? How does one correlate to the other?

Off-topic, but tar and other chemicals from cigarettes can damage taste buds (except a lot of chefs/restaurant folks smoke, and those are at some of the frequented faved restaurants around town, so, don't know). As to oversalting, there was a great article on how your tastebuds increase immunity to salt over time, so you start salting more than before. /Geek moment over.

The theory behind this is that smoking less than a few hours before seasoning food kills a cook's palate so they use more salt. The same goes for espresso, in a lot of Italian 3-star places, cooks aren't allowed to drink espresso or smoke within 2 or 3 hours of dinner service. The palate should ideally be clean when seasoning food.

It makes sense to me.