Sous-Vide Cooking

zoramargolis

Nope! The rangeless restaurant is the restaurant of the future, and the future is now. (And again, I emphasize that there are many, many situations (planes, trains, schools, hospitals, prisons) where this is preferable to the status quo - there are billions and billions of dollars at play here, and people are going to make a lot of money from this.)

And here I was, pondering getting a little spread of land and starting a sous-vide ranch when I retired.....

Scott Heimendinger, the man who parlayed his built-it-yourself immersion circulator plans into a gig as Director of Applied Research at Nathan Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine Cooking Lab, has debuted his next immersion circulator as a stylish, fully assembled, ready to use appliance.

Initially priced at $199 (via Kickstarter) and slated to become available in November, the Sansaire circulator clips to any vessel of up to 6 gallons capacity and controls water temperature to 0.1 deg F or C.  Video here.

Kenji Lopez-Alt has already weighed in after trying a prototype, and raves about it except for a slight error in temperature accuracy.  He notes that in speed and temperature stability, it is a significant improvement over the more expensive SousVide Supreme, in part thanks to a forced circulation pump.

(Contrary to Kenji's headline, the Sansaire is not a Modernist Cuisine product; Scott explains in his FAQ that he had begun this project before accepting his current employment and that Myhrvold has permitted him to continue it as a personal side project.)

in-water-with-steak.jpg

• Like 4

I couldn't help myself, either.  I've contributed for one as well.    Now to research food-vac systems to go with it.   Right now, I'm thinking my first foray will be yogurt, as that is finicky about temperature and the taste of fresh is so different from store-bought.

I also bought in on this.

Just a word for those who purchased and don't have a lot of experience with Kickstarter: don't hold your breath on these actually shipping come November.  They have already gone 2.5 times over their sales goal in less than a week, and lord only knows how many orders they'll end up with.  They are also now looking into international voltage options, which will likely delay things as well.  Then there are potential production issues.

I back The Porthole cocktail infuser by the Aviary design team in August 2012, and it was scheduled to ship October 2012.  I just got it last month.  Hopefully this won't end up as delayed as that, but when these things go viral delays are inevitable.  Don't send out invitations to your 72 hour braised short rib party for November just yet.

I was in the new Costco (Rt.1, Alexandria) today, & one of the many food tasting options was Cuisine solutions-I tried the korma chicken (good, but not my favorite-for some reason, I can't warm up to Indian food, or maybe it's just what I've tasted, I don't like Thai curry, either)), Mediterranean cod (very good) & my son tried the lamb & beef- we came home w/ the ropa vieja. Sous vide, once removed...

Here's a testing report on the Sansaire, Anova and Nomiku sous vide circulators by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.  It evaluates and rates each by various characteristics and functions.

Bottom line:"The lower price point of the Anova and Sansaire is very appealing to me, and personally I prefer the slightly smaller profile of the Anova"”it lets me slip it into a cabinet just a bit more easily than the bulkier Sansaire. You should also ask yourself which interface you like. The Sansaire and Nomiku are simpler to operate, but the Anova has more potential for features down the road.

As for me? With all three devices currently residing in my kitchen, I've found myself reaching for the Anova most often."

I got my Sansaire a few weeks back (again - don't ever expect a kickstarter on the projected delivery date) and after several weekends of travel I broke it out last weekend.

They warned us that a few units had been coming back from the first batch as defective.  I got one.

I will report when I get a working unit!

I have the Anova and have really enjoyed using it - the thing is also basically lab grade, it weighs quite a bit and feels very solid. 

Anova just launched a kickstarter that Serious Eats announced today for a newer (cheaper / more adjustable) model that can be controlled via an iPhone.  It's about a 30 dollar discount (the first two levels are sold out) from what retail will be.

I can say that my original Anova has been humming along for about a year and I have had absolutely zero issues with it - in fact, I have some 72 hour short ribs in it as I type.  I did jump in for the new one b/c the adjustable height will allow me to use it with smaller pots (I currently leverage a restaurant size stock pot with my original).

I can say that my original Anova has been humming along for about a year and I have had absolutely zero issues with it - in fact, I have some 72 hour short ribs in it as I type.  I did jump in for the new one b/c the adjustable height will allow me to use it with smaller pots (I currently leverage a restaurant size stock pot with my original).

Slight subject change, but still on-topic: is there something magical about "72 hours" for short ribs, or is this just the number that Michel Richard (and presumably the folks at Cuisine Solutions) popularized?

Slight subject change, but still on-topic: is there something magical about "72 hours" for short ribs, or is this just the number that Michel Richard (and presumably the folks at Cuisine Solutions) popularized?

From the reading I've done on it - the difference is mostly textural.  I've done them for as little as 7 hours and they've come out closer to the texture / taste you'd get with a traditional braise.  The reason I'm doing the 72 hours is really to test it out (I also am having folks over for dinner Wed evening) to see what the difference is.

Digging up this old thread to share that I got me a Sous Vide thingy for mah birthday! I'm so excited that i can't decide what to try first. Probably going to be eggs b/c it's Thanksgiving and ...I'm not going to experiment on the most important of days. 

I will share though that the way it looks makes me giggle. Just me?

and it's on the internet so I can make it do stuff from afar! So happy. Now I'll read this thread and hopefully learn something.

@NolaCaine I recommend starting with Kenji's recipes on the Anova site, the recipes at Chef Steps, and Douglas Baldwin's website (links included below). Hope you enjoy sous vide. I like it a lot for cooking chicken and turkey breasts.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/?searchString=Kenji&categorySlug= 

https://www.chefsteps.com/gallery?generator=chefsteps&published_status=published&difficulty=any&sort=newest&premium=everything

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 8:10 AM, curls said:

@NolaCaine I recommend starting with Kenji's recipes on the Anova site, the recipes at Chef Steps, and Douglas Baldwin's website (links included below). Hope you enjoy sous vide. I like it a lot for cooking chicken and turkey breasts.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/?searchString=Kenji&categorySlug= 

https://www.chefsteps.com/gallery?generator=chefsteps&published_status=published&difficulty=any&sort=newest&premium=everything

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

I have conducted two experiments and am about to embark on my third.  Thank you for these links. They are serving me well. I overcooked salmon but successfully cooked a frozen chicken breast to perfection. Tonight; The Pork Chop.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

Seasoning must be added to the sous vide bag before "cooking'. The seasoning is distributed by osmosis . 

Why would that be if the seasoning is already in the bag (presumably mixed in with the item being cooked)? Is there some sort of dialysis membrane in the bag that transfers the seasoning via osmosis?

On 12/9/2019 at 1:30 AM, DonRocks said:

Why would that be if the seasoning is already in the bag (presumably mixed in with the item being cooked)? Is there some sort of dialysis membrane in the bag that transfers the seasoning via osmosis?

I think it's due to the nature of the post sous-vide cook.  It's typically high temp, short time.  I burn whatever herbs or spices are on the outside going for that maillard.  If I put them in the bag for the sous vide, they permeate and aren't affected by the sear on the outside.

I did it! I made (for the first time ever in my life) really great duck breasts and had my first real (un-egg-related) sous-vide success.

Unwrapped and left in fridge breasts from about 7 am until they went into the bath (3:30). Placed them in a bag each with some orange juice, zest, salt, pepper, and garlic and a rosemary sprig from my garden (which looked really sad but imparted nice flavor).

Into a 135 bath for roughly  2.5 hours. Removed, scored fat, put, fat-side down in very hot cast iron pan for 5 minutes. Feared that was too long, but perfect. Quick sear of other side, put in warming drawer. Put bag-juice (vaguely strained) in pan with some sherry, some broth and a little more S&P. Reduced; served over rice. I think typing this took longer than the actual prep- time. 

SO EFFING GOOD!

• Like 9

One of my favorite things to use my sous vide for is to hold mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner. Simply prepare the mashed potatoes, and place in a bag. (I don't recall the temp at the moment).

Last night I used it for asparagus. About 10 minutes at 180. Excellent.

I recently made a hollandaise using the sous vide. I think it's a great method. 

(I'll try to add links later, but google should get you there.)

• Like 1

I'm planning to sous vide prime rib for Christmas dinner. Haven't tried such a large cut of beef before and am working from two recipes. Any tips from anyone who's done this?

Other than finishing in the oven rather than searing on the stovetop, it looks fairly straightforward and similar to other sous vide meat preparations I've undertaken.

Kenji Lopez Alt has championed using a large cooler for sous vide. Start with water 5 degrees warmer than your desired cook temp, put the food in a bag, drop. Close the cooler and wrap the top with towels or blankets. Check for temp every 2 hours. He was doing lamb rack and after two hours went from 130 pre lamb to 124 at the end. 

12 hours ago, Pat said:

I'm planning to sous vide prime rib for Christmas dinner. Haven't tried such a large cut of beef before and am working from two recipes. Any tips from anyone who's done this?

Other than finishing in the oven rather than searing on the stovetop, it looks fairly straightforward and similar to other sous vide meat preparations I've undertaken.

I'm not brave enough to try anything over a crock-pot type cook time. Something weird about over 8 or 10 hours. But I'm a novice! One of my neighbors got a leak in his brisket bag when he was SV-ing long form so good luck and be careful!

On 12/24/2019 at 7:32 AM, Pat said:

How did yours turn out?  

We braved an 8lb, bone-in, 131 degrees for just over 8 hours, finished at 450 convection for almost a half hour.  Probably the best beef of our lifetime, mostly due to sourcing, with the cooking method honoring the exceptional roast.  A cut this expensive is not for the faint of heart---hours on pins and needles praying for no pin/needle leaks!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KMango said:

How did yours turn out?  

We braved an 8lb, bone-in, 131 degrees for just over 8 hours, finished at 450 convection for almost a half hour.  Probably the best beef of our lifetime, mostly due to sourcing, with the cooking method honoring the exceptional roast.  A cut this expensive is not for the faint of heart---hours on pins and needles praying for no pin/needle leaks!

Ours came out well: 8 hours at 133, dried and then brushed with a butter and herb/spice mixture, followed by 15 minutes in a 425F oven. I should have thought of using convection for the oven portion. That's a brilliant idea.

Did you do anything with the bones or liquid from the sous vide portion of the cooking? Given the expense, I didn't want to let anything go to waste that could be repurposed. I re-roasted the bones for a while the next day and used them to make broth. I also reserved the liquid from the cooking bag, thinking I might make au jus/gravy, which I didn't.  I may try some combination of that reserved liquid with the broth to make a soup. I have to see how much of the liquid from the bag is fat. I just poured it into a container and stuck it in the fridge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat said:

Did you do anything with the bones or liquid from the sous vide portion of the cooking? Given the expense, I didn't want to let anything go to waste that could be repurposed. I re-roasted the bones for a while the next day and used them to make broth. I also reserved the liquid from the cooking bag, thinking I might make au jus/gravy, which I didn't.  I may try some combination of that reserved liquid with the broth to make a soup. I have to see how much of the liquid from the bag is fat. I just poured it into a container and stuck it in the fridge.

We were so thrilled and eager to serve the roast, we did not re-purpose anything.  That would have been a great idea!  Of course, we would have had to ward off two famished Marine officers to make it happen.  So perhaps it's better that we deferred.

#SemperRare

• Like 2

It's been awhile. The one upside to being in my house all the time is the opportunity to play with my SV machine. I've mastered duck, pork, beef, and chicken. I've only had one disappointment. Yesterday I was watching You Tube about improving ramen (yes, I know I shouldn't eat cheap ramen) and found out that SV bag juice (once freed from fat) is basically broth. Seems obvious now but I didn't know and have been pouring it out when not making a pan sauce. That's going to have to stop.