Sous-Vide Cooking

zoramargolis

I have yet to try short ribs using Sous Vide, but I often cooked chicken and steak using this method. When I want a piece of chicken breast for a salad, I like to slowly bring the meat to 135 or 140 degrees, I then remove it and either sear it or throw it on a hot grill. The interior texture is wonderfully and delicately soft. I use a similar method for a piece of steak, especially tenderloin.

Kevin. help! I brought in some Foie Gras this past weelend (in Paris) and did cook it Sous Vide at 62 celcius for 2 hours. After it cooled down a bit, I shaped it into a log of sorts still in its vacuum pack. I am almost afraid to eat it though. What do you think?

Mark, when do you need the foie gras?

Just curious. What is your concern?

It just looked funny to me. I tried it tonight and it is actually to die for! I had marinated it in Sauternes, port and sugar, then salted it liberally. I also placed a bit of honey in the sous vide bag. It is so smooth and creamy, it melts on your tongue. None of that funky taste you sometimes get with the canned foie.

I wish there was another dinner or event soon, so I could give the remainder to someone. We will probably eat half of it and Pierre (the little Frenchie in my avatar) will probably eat the rest.

Kevin. help! I brought in some Foie Gras this past weelend (in Paris) and did cook it Sous Vide at 62 celcius for 2 hours. After it cooled down a bit, I shaped it into a log of sorts still in its vacuum pack. I am almost afraid to eat it though. What do you think?

Mark, when do you need the foie gras?

Next time try 65 celcius for 20 - 30 minutes, chill quickly and when ready to serve remove it from the bag and quickly sear the outside in a hot pan. Be careful not to cook long or you won't have anything left. Great job with the Sous Vide, as you can tell by my blogs, its the only way to go.

Last night we served an appetizer of sous vide pork belly with a thyme pepper sauce and garnished with a slice of carmelized cantalope. The pork belly was prepared with Himalayen pink salt, pepper and garlic, bagged and cooked for 18 hours at 158 degrees. It was then browned off with some olive oil and sliced thin. Our guests for dinner raved about the taste and texture of the pork. Needless to say the plates where wiped clean. The main event was a surf and turf presentation of sous vide short ribs and Norwegian salmon. The only thing that bothers me about sous vide short ribs is the tendonous layer right next to the bone which remains chewey even after 35 hours of cooking at 148 degrees. I have some large short ribs in the frig and next time will remove the bones before cooking. Both the fish and the ribs where excellent. The desert was heart shaped watermelon pieces that were vacuum baged at full vacuum till densified and which turned it brilliant ruby red, then topped with rasberry sorbet and surrounded with fresh fruit. We have become acustomed to having guests over for dinner and always presenting them with sous vide in some form.

I'm just finishing my morning coffee having thoughts about the culinary delight sitting in my frig. Yesterday I started with 3 pounds of perfectly trimed skirt steaks pounded to a uniform thickness and cut into strips the same size as a strip of bacon. The alternating layers of steak and bacon were bonded together with an enzyme product called Activa. The hybrid creation was then put into a vacuum bag and sealed. The bags were weighted down and refrigerated. Tonight I will fire up the waterbath and cook them at low temp., remove them from the bag and pan sear the outside. Life does not get any better than this. The recipe was found in the winter issue of Art Culinaire, I will alter the cooking temperature to 131 degrees and cook for 30 minutes before searing. I will do a follow-up with pictures and a fully detailed description of the taste and appearence of this culinary masterpiece. :lol:

I will do a follow-up with pictures and a fully detailed description of the taste and appearence of this culinary masterpiece.Ā  :lol:

So how was it? I looked up Activa, that is kind of strange...

How long did you sous vide them? How was the texture? Just curious as I really haven't used my waterbath much at all.

So how was it? I looked up Activa, that is kind of strange...

How long did you sous vide them? How was the texture? Just curious as I really haven't used my waterbath much at all.

The "Activa RM" worked great, the skirt steak and bacon bonded like one piece of meat. :lol: I ended up cooking for 30 minutes at 142 degrees. The texture was firm and the appearance was a striking rare / medium rare. Crank up your waterbath, sous vide is a commonplace in my kitchen, I'm totally hooked on the results and its a real mind blower for your guests. Like I mentioned earlier in one of my entries, proteins are better that veggies, I have to do more experiments with sous vied veggies.

... The texture was firm and the appearance was a striking rare / medium rare...

What do you do about getting some variance in texture (such as external crispness) to the meat? I am so not a fan of sous vide cooking and find that the lack of a seared outer crust (for lamb and beef) and somewhat flabby internal texture seem to be the reason. Have tried many items that were cooked using this format -- lamb, salmon, lobster, etc., at various types of restaurants (I'm not equipped to try this at home) and find that this method of cooking just doesn't work for me. The lobster and salmon tend to be somewhat rubbery.

-Camille

What do you do about getting some variance in texture (such as external crispness) to the meat? I am so not a fan of sous vide cooking and find that the lack of a seared outer crust (for lamb and beef) and somewhat flabby internal texture seem to be the reason. Have tried many items that were cooked using this format -- lamb, salmon, lobster, etc., at various types of restaurants (I'm not equipped to try this at home) and find that this method of cooking just doesn't work for me. The lobster and salmon tend to be somewhat rubbery.

-Camille

You need to pan sear (very hot pan) to get the outer crust on. As far as the rubbery texture, that is caused by overcooking. Seafood is really sensitive to proper cooking time and temp. The food will cook faster in a vacuum so you need to keep the heat down on fish and also limit cooking to 10 - 12 minutes if you are doing something like salmon. A restaurant might want to be more cautious about thoroughly cooking your meal. I have never served a sous vide meal with complaints from guests. Check out the pictures below, one is the salmon in the bag, seasoned and a sprig of dill. The plated food includes the salmon and shortribs. No rubbery food here! Give it another chance! :lol:

post-867-1141085240_thumb.jpg

post-867-1141085300_thumb.jpg

The "Activa RM" worked great, the skirt steak and bacon bonded like one piece of meat. :lol: Ā  I ended up cooking for 30 minutes at 142 degrees. The texture was firm and the appearance was a striking rare / medium rare. Crank up your waterbath, sous vide is a commonplace in my kitchen, I'm totally hooked on the results and its a real mind blower for your guests. Like I mentioned earlier in one of my entries, proteins are better that veggies, I have to do more experiments with sous vied veggies.

What was the internal temperature? That's the key.

What was the internal temperature? That's the key.

I'm in the process of purchasing a hypodermic fast response thermocouple to insert into the meat while cooking. These items are a little costly but will contribute to greater accuracy while cooking and prevent that rubbery syndrome from overcooking. In response to the char effect, the hotter the pan the darker the char without effecting the inside temp. That is the problem with most home cooktops is not enough horsepower (BTU'S) to get a good "char".

In response to the char effect, the hotter the pan the darker the char without effecting the inside temp. That is the problem with most home cooktops is not enough horsepower (BTU'S) to get a good "char".

Plenty of sufficient BTUs cooking the 'old fashioned way' at home on the new Miele cooktop for searing meat. My question relates specifically to meat that has been cooked using sous vide. What do you do to get a char on the outside of meat that has been cooked sous vide? Are you tossing it in a hot pan after removing it from shrinkwrap to add that texture/taste or are you foregoing a seared outer crust in favor of meat that is the same texture and color edge to edge?

Plenty of sufficient BTUs cooking the 'old fashioned way' at home on the new Miele cooktop for searing meat. My question relates specifically to meat that has been cooked using sous vide. What do you do to get a char on the outside of meat that has been cooked sous vide? Are you tossing it in a hot pan after removing it from shrinkwrap to add that texture/taste or are you foregoing a seared outer crust in favor of meat that is the same texture and color edge to edge?

I put a little butter and olive oil in a pan and sear the meat. The butter helps the browning effect and the olive oil raises the burn temp. of the butter. I do not get a heavy char which makes it easier to get thin slices. I generally slice all my meats that are sous vide before plating. Don't forget to remove it from the bag! I have served Norweigan Salmon without any searing after cooking with great reviews. I like to top the salmon with a champagne beur blanc. Excuss any misspelling please.

OK Folks,

Here are a couple pictures of the finished product. If you have a scratch and taste feature on your monitor check it out! If not you will have to trust my judgement "It was AWESOME". You can see the layers of bacon between the steak. If you like well done steak this ones not for you!

post-867-1141570599_thumb.jpg

post-867-1141570661_thumb.jpg

post-867-1141570725_thumb.jpg

(At the risk of killing this thread).

ChefKevin -- I've read through this thread (and your reply to RaisaB on the foie gras thread), and I have a large conceptual gap:

You're cooking times seem awfully short. How does something get "cooked" at 65 degrees C for 30 minutes? It would seem to me that the surface temp of the food might equal to the water temp, but not the inside temp. From other reading on this method, it seems like one of the benefits is the ability to cook something for a long time at the low temperature, and, yet, not "overcook" it. What am I missing?

Interesting article in the NY Times today about the Health Department fining restaurants cooking "sous vide" and determining that the methods are "illegal" until a uniform code can be established.

All the big boys (Benno, Cuisine Solutions, etc.) are quoted.

Interesting article in the NY Times today about the Health Department fining restaurants cooking "sous vide" and determining that the methods are "illegal" until a uniform code can be established.

The only positive thing I could see in this would be if all of the talented chefs decided to relocate to "Sous Vide" friendly cities like Washington.

(At the risk of killing this thread).

ChefKevin -- I've read through this thread (and your reply to RaisaB on the foie gras thread), and I have a large conceptual gap:

You're cooking times seem awfully short. How does something get "cooked" at 65 degrees C for 30 minutes? It would seem to me that the surface temp of the food might equal to the water temp, but not the inside temp. From other reading on this method, it seems like one of the benefits is the ability to cook something for a long time at the low temperature, and, yet, not "overcook" it. What am I missing?

Meats are cooked differently depending on the cut. Is it grilled or braised in liquid? Fish cooks fast at low temps. Therefore foie gras has its own guidelines and is a delicate organ that would suffer with extended cooking times. You still need to pan sear the liver when removed from the bag. The vacuum process and water baths changes the rate of heat transfer through the proteins which reduce cooking times in certain items. The low temps. for long periods are established to break down connective tissues in tough items such as short ribs or briskets.

I do not vacuum bag my food for storage. I season, bag, cook and eat. I don't blame the health dept. for being concerned. You would not want that chicken breast bagged in a warm kitchen and kept in the cooler for two weeks. The restaurants that were mentioned are all very experienced sous vide establishments that are being victimized by something that might happen at a second rate restaurant. I hope that the NY Times article does not affect any of the many people who have enjoyed my cuisine. I will continue with experimenting and the expansion of my knowledge regarding sous vide cooking. <_<

I put a little butter and olive oil in a pan and sear the meat. The butter helps the browning effect and the olive oil raises the burn temp. of the butter. I do not get a heavy char which makes it easier to get thin slices. I generally slice all my meats that are sous vide before plating.

Glad to know you're adding a sear to the items cooked using the sous vide method which is something I find lacking in so many things prepared this way (lamb chops, certain fish, etc.). I am curious, however, to know why the frenzy over this method of cooking? Sealing something in plastic and tossing it into a vat of hot water seems to take away from the skill and experience one aquires when cooking the 'old-fashioned' way. I definitely understand the merits for cooking on an airplane, but not in a regular kitchen -- be it at home or in a restaurant. Just my humble opinion...

I have yet to try short ribs using Sous Vide, but I often cooked chicken and steak using this method.Ā  When I want a piece of chicken breast for a salad, I like to slowly bring the meat to 135 or 140 degrees, I then remove it and either sear it or throw it on a hot grill.Ā  The interior texture is wonderfully and delicately soft.Ā  I use a similar method for a piece of steak, especially tenderloin.

Are you using a special water bath or a roll your own? I really want to try this...

This sous vide stuff looked quite interesting, until I researched the costs. Is there a low budget way to try this technique out? I thought about using one of those high end vacuum sealers and slapping it in a pot of boling water?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y2R...glance&n=284507

Boiling water is probably too high a temp for most things. The problem with using a regular stove top is that it is next to impossible to keep the temperature stable for long periods of time. The best place to look for a controllable water bath is eBay, and remember you will also need an accurate thermomter too.

I'm not a huge fan of this cooking method although it seems to be in vogue. On a trip to Blue Hill at Stone Barns with friends, the duck, chicken and pork were cooked sous vide. While it results in a very tender meat, I found it too bland and the texture funny because the meat is just barely cooked. The meats also look so plain and naked. Where's the crispy skin? I guess I lprefer my meat fried, grilled, seared or braised.

I'm not a huge fan of this cooking method although it seems to be in vogue. On a trip to Blue Hill at Stone Barns with friends, the duck, chicken and pork were cooked sous vide. While it results in a very tender meat, I found it too bland and the texture funny because the meat is just barely cooked. The meats also look so plain and naked. Where's the crispy skin? I guess I lprefer my meat fried, grilled, seared or braised.

Has nothing to do with sous vide specifically, like any other form of cooking if you don't add seasonings the food will be bland. Seems like poor execution on the part of the chef and not the technique. It is true that this method does not produce a crispy skin, but the protein can be seared in a very hot pan to get that. The duck breast that Citronelle served was prepared in that manner and it was nice and crispy.

A pox upon the Gallic vacuum-seal nomenclature and all the suck-ass neophytes who hock it.

I reckon one might get the same results confiting directly in fat without compromising the environmental resources wasted on plastic bags and their disposal. Premise is the same, be it 1 duck leg in fat in a bag or 20 legs in fat in a large earthenware cauldron lined with pork skin. So long as the temperature is constant and low 200-225 F the results will be virtually the same, duck-juice not being able to easily diffuse through fat. The sous-vide prestigitation is a Brookstone gimmick teet onto which so many cooks unfamiliar with the most basic properties of kitchen science and folklore have attached their gumming chops. They groom their asshairs with Mach-7 combs and slash short-cuts rather than celebrating the cobbled course of traditional cookery, validating their expensive techno-cappucino warmers, whose cost could be better spent hiring a prostitute off Craigslist and instructing her to lower or raise the flame conversely to a thermal G-spot on the meat-probe whilst I sip my snifter of Cynar in the salon and delight myself with those cheeky Hustler cartoon double-entendres...

With exceptions of forcemeats where the egress of fat is detrimental to the final product, if the liquid that entertains the transfer of juices and whatnot of your protein/veg/whatever is properly flavored and seasoned, cooking vessel of constricting size and the temperature is s/low, your results will rival those of clowns who can't read a sundial or tend their follicles without gadgets... unlike Carls Sagan and Yastrzemski.

Just got my water bath on ebay...

This week:

country pork ribs with marinara sauce cooked for 12 hours at 63 C

brisket rubbed with spices (oregano, paprika, brown sugar,garlic, onion powder, slat and pepper) cooked for 36 hours at 61 C

short ribs just went in the bath for Sunday evening. seasoned with onion,garlic, fresh thyme, black pepper, and salt.

The brisket came out awesome, very tender but firm...juicy and medium cooked. finished it on a hot gas grill and then sliced it.

Ribs were good, used cooking liquid to toss pasta.

www.fiveleaf.com. its where the big chefs get em from... sous-vide.....

Doesn't appear to be sous-vide as much as boil-n-bag. Not necessarily a bad idea, but not nearly the same as braising fresh beef cheeks (I've been monitoring the thread looking for veal cheeks, myself) at home.

LOL I am really looking forward to the sous vide airline food of the future. Also looking forward to getting HGH shots with my SSI - I've always wanted muscles without work.

@OD44: Thanks for the linky. Not sure that will fit on my kitchen counter, but certainly an intriguing option.

Couldn't help but think of this thread when I read 2 recent items: first that the new BonMi will prepare all its proteins via sous vide machines and secondly that the meatballs at the soon to open Meatballs will be made off-site.

I don't know what "steaming" meatballs means (I suppose it could be some sort of Asian prep), but I wonder if these places aren't two peas in a pod.

Santa brought me a Sous Vide Supreme Demi for Christmas, which I've already used to great success on eggs and chicken.

Now for my greatest challenge: 72-hour sous vide short ribs!

Here's my question.

The bags are full of liquid from the meat. It seems a waste to discard it. Would those juices make a suitable sauce? How would I make the sauce? It seems like trying to reduce it would leave me with a muddy, dirty sauce full of coagulated proteins and a dull flavor devoid of the roasted notes you'd get from a sauce made from traditional "pan drippings". But to do anything more involved I'd need the meat out of the bag for so long that it would likely get cold.

Any ideas?

In writing this post just now, a thought popped into my head.

Does Jack's Bistro sous vide in-house, or do they source it?

Could it be possible that, two years from now, it will be a bragging point to have "in-house sous vide" preparations?

When I die, I will neither roast in a fiery Hell, nor freeze in an icy Zamhareer; I will be slow-poached in a giant, plastic bag for 72 billion years.

Does Jack's Bistro sous vide in-house, or do they source it?

Could it be possible that, two years from now, it will be a bragging point to have "in-house sous vide" preparations?

That would be strange to source it one would think (me). If restaurants do source sous vide meats, then I think I would like to start a sous vide farm and start selling to those who seek it. I believe I saw them in the Volt kitchen last summer.

I am planning on building a circulator. I was going to save the post until I got going on it. The fiance' doesn't think we have room for it right now. She doesn't really understand how beneficial it would be for us !

Here are the plans if anyone is interested: http://seattlefoodge...r-for-about-75/

When I die, I will neither roast in a fiery Hell, nor freeze in an icy Zamhareer; I will be slow-poached in a giant, plastic bag for 72 billion years.

Don, are you my father?

---

Edit; I think you were joking about sourcing...............

Edit; I think you were joking about sourcing...............

Nope! The rangeless restaurant is the restaurant of the future, and the future is now. (And again, I emphasize that there are many, many situations (planes, trains, schools, hospitals, prisons) where this is preferable to the status quo - there are billions and billions of dollars at play here, and people are going to make a lot of money from this.)