Attman's, E. Lombard Street

I could not more strongly disagree with this: as noted above the original Hofberg's on Eastern Avenue. I remember going to Attman's and a second deli (whose name I cannot remember) in high school in the early '60's. Decent deli but both were far behind Hofberg's. What I DO remember was a competition between D. C. and Baltimore for deli (of all things) and the refusal of friends of mine in Baltimore then to admit that Hofberg's was superior let alone far superior to Attman's or the other deli. Regardless, then, Hofberg's was THE standard that Duke's/Posin's/Parkway et al all aspired to. Years later Hofberg's open at Randolph and Nicholson but it had NOTHING in common with the Eastern Avenue original.

Can't really comment on Hofberg's in the 60's (too young) but in today's world, Attman's is the best deli hands down in the DC/Balt metroplex. Katz's in NYC is the best I've ever had but Attman's is the second best. Anyone else have an Attman's experience? Nothing in the DC area approaches its quality. I agree that the DC area needs even a good deli.

Can't really comment on Hofberg's in the 60's (too young) but in today's world, Attman's is the best deli hands down in the DC/Balt metroplex. Katz's in NYC is the best I've ever had but Attman's is the second best. Anyone else have an Attman's experience? Nothing in the DC area approaches its quality. I agree that the DC area needs even a good deli.

I love Attman's because I always got two meals for the price of one. I am a big-eater but even I always had half a sandwich wrapped up and saved for later (disclaimer; I did usually have a side of some type of salad and or pickle but still the sandwiches are ridiculously stuffed). Great pastrami. I actually like the turkey pastrami a lot and I am usually not a big fan.

I've been going there since the Sixties, and agree with you that it's the best deli in the metroplex. Hofberg's, whose distant memory is not a blessing, never came close to the quality at Attman's, and ninety-three years of being in business on Corned Beef Row testifies to that. I am particularly a fan of their pastrami, especially after a few hours of prodding by the docs at Hopkins. It soothes the soul; Lipitor fixes the rest.

I ate at Attman's Deli once and it was really amazing. You can just feel the "almost 100 years" of history in the place. I went with my Fiance (who is not the easiest person to impress with food) and we stood in line and then ate in the kabitz room. Both of us loved the food and she practically had to drag me out because I was going around looking at all the old pictures. I can't say enough about them. I can't wait to go back. Maybe I'll check out this Katz's - I travel to NYC about 4-5 times per year. There's another deli in NYC where people are suppose to line up - seemingly forever called Mama's of Corona that is suppose to make deli sandwiches from Heaven. I wish I had more time and money to spend in NYC - Also on my list of things to do in NYC is hit some of those great old "red sauce" Italian restaurants - maybe somewhere like Arthur Ave. in the Bronx (The real Little Italy).

Maybe I'll check out this Katz's - I travel to NYC about 4-5 times per year.

Katz's is really wonderful, but the pastrami is very, very different. It's very thick, moist, warm, hand cut and -- much to my surprise -- much more subtly flavored than Attman's. There's a level of artistry in Katz's that I don't get from Attman's, but I love 'em both for what they are. And I do love Attman's.

Katz's is really wonderful, but the pastrami is very, very different. It's very thick, moist, warm, hand cut and -- much to my surprise -- much more subtly flavored than Attman's. There's a level of artistry in Katz's that I don't get from Attman's, but I love 'em both for what they are. And I do love Attman's.

MY RESPONSE: Another thing about Attman's was that there was a guy in line behind me who I struck up a conversation with and he has been going there for years and eats there frequently I guess. He sort of gave me a narative of the place and told me stories of how his father had also enjoyed Attman's.

Stopped at Attman's yesterday on the way back to DC from B'more. After a 20 - 25 minute wait on a line filled with colorful characters I got a delicious knockwurst to eat on the road and 6 sandwiches to go (2 corned beef, 2 pastrami, a brisket and a tongue) and some pickled plum tomatoes for lunch for the crew at Proof. Sampled everything and it was all delicious !!! Just as well we don't have this in DC - I'd go way to often.

I had some business in B-more today and went to Attman's. Got the Stu Special, a double decker on rye with a layer of bread between the corned beef and the pastrami and Russian, Muenster and coleslaw. So delicious. Service was pretty hilarious, and all the guys were calling the women "baby girl". The sandwich man said that the Stu's Sandwich was a serious sandwich, and I knew how to order. It was delicious - creamy and a little smoky. (The pastrami did make me long for Jamie Stachowski's pastrami, which was mega-smoky.) Best with one of the sours to cut through the unctuous meat and sauce. Also picked up some of Pappy's Homemade Rootbeer, which is in a water bottle. Apparently it was voted #1 homemade rootbeer and has water, root beer extract, molasses and yeast. It does taste pretty strongly of yeast and makes me think of beer. Also there is this ridiculous ad on Youtube.

ETA: So looking back on this thread, I noticed a lack of description and detail. There's a big deli setup with multiple slicers. A few selected items in the display case like chicken salad, tuna salad, coleslaw, etc. A couple of fridges full of sodas, including Doc Brown's. There are a few tubs with pickled tomatoes and peppers. A few jars of sours and the less sour cucumber pickles on the counter - all pickles are self serve. I would say that even though they do give you a large quantity it isn't piled quite as much as the Katz's are. The texture of the corned beef is a little firmer and moister than Katz's, but I like it that way. The web site self describes as being on Corned Beef Row. I only saw one other in the area - Lenny's - which was not open by the time I rolled around to the area.

The Stu's is my eats of choice as well there plus a side of their hugely cut western fries. I also love their chicken noodle soup when I'm feeling frail and sickly (cough cough hack).

Just a note to possible new-goers (go now): do not be off-put/scared by either the lines or the staff. Both are quirky and overall harmless.

Oh, and Lenny's is indeed the other Corned Beef Row contestant, but it pales in comparison to Attman's. I think it opened up only recently (maybe early 1990s) in terms of the Row's standards. Hopefully I'll get to try Katz's one day.

Attman's is the only place in Baltimore that doesn't use readily available, commercial (e.g. Saval, Boar's Head) pastrami. From what I understand, they have two sources, one local and one not local, who supply them. The recipe is their own, and they specify the cut of beef. The cut they use is really the only flaw in Attman's pastrami. The flavor is really very good, sharper and stronger than Katz's (which is in fact quite mild), but the texture is, for me, not good. Whatever the cut is, it comprises what looks like several different muscles with varying grain, interspersed with connective tissue that isn't usually cooked down into gelatin, and is thus stringy. I have a load of pics of Attman's, Katz's, and my own homemade stuff here, which I took while researching my Citypaper article on the subject.

Despite the small problem with texture, I had heretofore considered it the best pastrami available in the area. Last weekend, I was proven incorrect. Mark's Deli up in Reisterstown of all places, has what is in my opinion the best, by a fairly long shot, pastrami within 100 miles. The owner Rodney Metlan drives up to NJ to a supplier for his cured beef, then steams it in house. The cut used is navel plate, the same used for Katz's, although the flavor is closer to that of the old Carnegie Deli, I think - "redder", if you know what i mean. I will be posting a review with pics very shortly, but in the meantime I cannot recommend this place highly enough - everything I tried was excellent, and real, in the deli sense of the word.

Loved the corn beef sandwich. I probably should have ordered 2 of them, or try the kishka. How is their kishka? What about the latkes and matsoh ball soup?

The matzo ball soup is not so good. It seems to be the chicken noodle with a dry matzoball thrown in later, and the chicken noodle is not so hot either.

I went yesterday before watching football for a delicious tongue sandwich.

Fwiw my friend and I ate at the one at Camden Yards back in April but as a disclaimer we've never been to the original. From what I remember, it was slightly pricy but still pretty good and one of the better food options at the stadium (related note- Boog's sandwiches seem real small, although can't speak for the club level spin-off). However, I'll still always favor the sausage stand right outside of the bars.

Stopped in last week with the wife and had a nice experience. Easily the best deli in DC/Baltimore, probably a notch or two down from NYs best. I had a Stus special and the wife had a Cloak and Dagger. Both very good with very nice tender corned beef (and very tasty pastrami on my Stus). If you are in Baltimore and craving deli, or are sitting around DC craving very good deli, I recommend a trip.

When I was little, spring time always meant a trip up north to Baltimore to Myer Seed Company (if you are into gardening, this is a great place to buy seeds) to buy seeds for the garden with my dad.  Once we were done buying seeds, we would head to corned beef row aka Lombuard Street, for lunch.  My dad's spot was always Jack's.  Jack's closed a long time ago, and then we started hitting up Attman's.  Much has been written above about Attman's, but it is a Baltimore landmark with a great grit to it.  The staff is nice (but can be gruff).  The corned beef and pastrami are about as good as you can get outside of NYC (I am partial to Katz's).  Went there yesterday on the way to visit my mom at Johns Hopkins.  My sister and I grabbed sandwiches to go, me a "New York" which was pastrami and chopped liver (I was in that type of mood), my sister got corned beef (I had to school her about how she ordered an inferior sandwich--everyone knows pastrami is the king!).  As it was nearing closing time, I am pretty sure were treated better than usual by a very nice guy.  When we got to the hospital I found corned beef in addition to pastrami, a huge sandwich, which I devoured in an instant.  My sister could only finish half.  I think my mom had great comfort in seeing us eat well, because that is the best joy to a Jewish mom.  It certainly took her mind off the pain of her surgery and allowed us to have nice conversation as she continues to heal.  As far as the quality of the food, it was great, but often what makes a great meal is the company and the conversation.  In this case, being with family on the 4th floor of the Weinberg building, eating a sandwich off of the paper it was wrapped in was as good as any 5 star meal, I wouldn't have changed anything, I certainly will cherish the memory.  We will need to stop there on the way home once she is discharged so she can enjoy a sandwich as well.

• Like 5

Adding to the thread about Attmans, what are everyone's thoughts on the Jewish delis in PIkesville?  I plan on doing a bit of field research on finding a proper knish. Corned beef, and pastrami seem to be the litmus for a good deli, but finding a good knish outside of Manhattan, now that is a challenge. Wish me luck!!

Oy,

kat

16 hours ago, MarkS said:

I had catering from Edmart visiting friends nearby.  The appetizing fish was great and reminded me of living in NY.  I was told that they cook their own meats and may ever make Knishes, let me know what you find out.

I find most of my leads by approaching strangers. Luckily for me they are receptive to my obssessive curriosity to finding good food, a proper knish being one of them. I will report back if successful. 

In search of knish, 

kat

Last time I went to Attmans I got a potato knish to go. Heated it at home and had it with a side of Gulden's mustard. It was one of the best knishes I have had in a long while. Kat, I am curious to hear your opinion of their knish (and other items).

1 hour ago, curls said:

Last time I went to Attmans I got a potato knish to go. Heated it at home and had it with a side of Gulden's mustard. It was one of the best knishes I have had in a long while. Kat, I am curious to hear your opinion of their knish (and other items).

I will report back after my field research.  This is fun, thanks for the feedback y’all.

Knish hunter,

kat

• Like 1

They're supposed to open at 8 am.  Went in at 9 am on a Sunday morning, only 1 person was working the counter (who said others failed to show up for work)  The bagel with nova was undertoasted, way too much cream cheese, but the salmon was good.  The New Yorker (hot pastrami and chopped liver) was made with cold pastrami and a heavy dollop of tasty chopped liver.  Maybe Sunday morning is not a good time to go to Attman's.  Or maybe the people who work there are just lazy and not motivated.