Heirloom Popcorn

Scott Johnston

I was watching Alton Brown dive into popcorn last night (Pop Art http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm ), and wondered where I can buy heirloom popcorn in the area. His claim is the microwave, mass marketed stuff does not have the taste nor texture of the real McCoy. So I ask the people in the know... who sells popcorn by the pound out there? Farmer Markets? Amish Stores? Whole Paycheck? Any preferences on type? I can order it through Amazon.com, but as usual with these type of items, the shipping costs more than the product.

I am looking for popcorn with names like: Princess Amber, Baby Pearl, Baby Black Pearl, Purple Amethyst, Red Ruby, Blue Sapphire, Yellow Topaz, White Diamond, Fiery Garnet, Baby Blue Sapphire, Pink Diamond, Baby Yellow Topaz, Striped Coral and Southwest Gold.

AB's website has this link:

If you thought you knew gourmet popcorn, think again. Crown Jewel sells 14 varieties of scrumptious popcorn, including the world’s smallest popcorn: Petite Princess Amber popcorn, and a popcorn that tastes like it's already buttered: Fiery Garnet popcorn.

www.crownjewelgourmet.com

I am looking for popcorn with names like: Princess Amber, Baby Pearl, Baby Black Pearl, Purple Amethyst, Red Ruby, Blue Sapphire, Yellow Topaz, White Diamond, Fiery Garnet, Baby Blue Sapphire, Pink Diamond, Baby Yellow Topaz, Striped Coral and Southwest Gold.
Rancho Gordo has a crimson popping corn that I like. I don't know if it's technically heirloom. Their beans are, but I'm sure about the corns.

Have you tried any of these?

Currently on hand: my favorite to date, Wisconsin White Birch, which pops up into large, white flakes, very nice traditional taste; my daughter's favorite, Starshell Red, large white flakes, tho a bit tough in my opinion; Baby Yellow, very tiny, somewhat sweet, hull-less flakes; Blue Heron, kind of nutty, but again, a little tough; and Black Hills, which is a little buttery.

(I'm not very discriminating, however; I will eat any kind of popcorn till the batch is gone.)

One of the stalls at Dupont Market has some sort of popcorn-on-the-cob. I've never tried it & I don't know whether its still available. I also don't know the name of the farm, but usually they are on the west side of 20th, right in the middle.
Quaker Valley Farm & Orchard. Still available. For a dollar a cob, it's worth trying.

Zombie thread reanimate!

I just got a Presto Power Pop for Christmas and am looking for good popcorn to try out in the gadget. Any recent popcorn people would recommend trying?

FYI, the Whole Foods in Fair Lakes has a table with a variety (colors) of popping corn that may be good. This is just informational as I have not tried it.

FYI, the Whole Foods in Fair Lakes has a table with a variety (colors) of popping corn that may be good. This is just informational as I have not tried it.

Actually, I bought some yellow popcorn from their bulk jars last weekend! I just didn't know if there were better ones out there. There are few different ones on Amazon I might try.