I'm witnessing a 10-run inning with 1 out in the 1st.

Say hi next time.

And it was potluck day at church, so I got to eat WELL before the game, so I didn't have to make the hard choices today. I miss the days that I worked close to Vace and could easily procure and bring along subs.

Flippin' Pizza is truly available in one of two varieties, cheese or pepperoni, at $5 a slice [crispy, but bland].

Agreed on the blandness, though it was much better than the Triple Play Grill's lukewarm shrimp po' boy (they were out of the crab cake sandwich). In fairness, I ordered the po' boy during the 8th inning when many of the stands were closing up.

At the center field bar - well, the bottom part, I can't remember what it's called - I had the Caribbean wings. I was surprised when they showed up and were the entire wing, not just the drumette and "wings" that you often get.

They were sticky but in general quite tasty. A nice warm-up food for a rainy Saturday. And I didn't feel that ripped off by them. :lol: I had the summer shandy from Leinie's with them and it was quite a combo.

Grilled cheese sandwich/panini at Dupont Deli - yes I know it's just American cheese, bread, and a lot of butter, but not bad. Not bad at all. $8 including a bag of chips.

Also my late inning stop at Giffords resulted in a "single scoop" piled about 5 inches high. I guess they were under orders to empty out the tubs. :lol: Not complaining, just sayin' that all in all, a pretty good evening at the ballpark. Now if only the Nats had rallied, then it would have been perfection....

I had a Ben's Nat's Dog ($4.50) with chili and cheese today. Somehow, the ambiance just isn't the same as the U Street location. The diner has a choice between ladled nacho cheese and "hand-drizzled" shredded plastic - I strongly recommend the latter.

Cheers,

Rocks

ETA - Don't go to Max's expecting Max's. $7 cash-only for pre-fried falafel balls pulled from a tray. Limited toppings. The pre-shredded shawarma meat looked pretty unappetizing.

I recently had the schawarma, and it was quite good. The meat itself was forgettable (some kind of processed chicken, I think, cut into small cubes), but it was also loaded with other tasty ingredients, such as fresh cucumber, tomato, onion. The pita held up well. There are two Max's stands, the main one in the area behind the right field bullpen, and a satellite location in the upper level behind third base. The main location is the one with the grill, where the items such as hot dogs and sausages with peppers and onions are actually grilled (no grill at the satellite location, just big metal cabinets from which the food items are pulled).

ETA: I originally reported that the knishes have been discontinued, but that is incorrect; they are still there, listed on the menu as "Kosher Knish".

I had a Ben's Nat's Dog ($4.50) with chili and cheese today. Somehow, the ambiance just isn't the same as the U Street location. The diner has a choice between ladled nacho cheese and "hand-drizzled" shredded plastic - I strongly recommend the latter.

Cheers,

Rocks

I went to Nats Park for the first time on Saturday (my Brother's bachelor party). Sat in the nosebleed seats and watched one of the worst games I have ever sat through. The experience was made complete by the two $5 hotdogs I foolishly purchased at the same time and wolfed down. They need to have Pepto or Alka Seltzer dispensers at regular convenient locations throughout the Park.

There are two Max's stands, the main one in the area behind the right field bullpen, and a satellite location in the upper level behind third base. The main location is the one with the grill, where the items such as hot dogs and sausages with peppers and onions are actually grilled (no grill at the satellite location, just big metal cabinets from which the food items are pulled).

Upon closer inspection, there is in fact a grill at the upper level location. I have yet to notice it in action, but it is there.

I really think Georgetown Cupcake should open a concession in National's Stadium, I don't know why, but sitting at a game the other night, I just really thought that would be awesome. Or send a concession guy around with cupcakes. Say what you want, but judging how much the tech geek guys at my hubby's office party loved them, I think they could do a great business here.

I really think Georgetown Cupcake should open a concession in National's Stadium, I don't know why, but sitting at a game the other night, I just really thought that would be awesome. Or send a concession guy around with cupcakes. Say what you want, but judging how much the tech geek guys at my hubby's office party loved them, I think they could do a great business here.

I actually recommended this awhile back to the owners of Dolcezza. Unlike Max's (which is very mediocre here), both of these could theoretically be of similar quality (and in the case of Georgetown Cupcake, the lines couldn't get any longer so what the hell)

But it was still better than waiting an unjustifiable 20 minutes in line at Five Guys (which I also did) for a completely dead, gray burger ($8).

No need to worry about those epic lines at 5 Guys, they have the problem solved, now only if the Nats could figure out how to keep their first round draft picks healthy.

Technically, that's the club level. Is that area accessible to peons with bleacher seats?

Yes, the naming is a little confusing. The "Club Level" actually encompasses the upper promenade behind the score board The velvet ropes don't show up until you are most of the way down the 1st base line, otherwise it is how you access all of the 200-400 level outfield seats . I think the Mezzanine Level is the only one that is totally access-controlled.

I'm bummed that the Shake Shack etc. won't be open yet, looking forward to some Belgian frites!

With all the new food trucks in the last year, seems like there's an opportunity for some better pre-game snacks than in the past. Setting up a designated area outside the stadium for a couple of carts on a rotating basis would be awesome (but would also cut into the concession profits, so maybe it's a total nonstarter). I used to stop off for a pre-game empanada at the On the Fly cart.

Wow, what a crappy opening day.

I wonder how much snacking I will have done before they finally decide to call the game for rain just in time for rush hour?

I'm hoping the rain holds off, but then again sitting in damp "40 degrees almost about to rain" weather for 3 hours isn't much better. But anyway, go Nats!

Setting up a designated area outside the stadium for a couple of carts on a rotating basis would be awesome (but would also cut into the concession profits, so maybe it's a total nonstarter).

They're doing this at RFK before DC United games.

I'm bummed that the Shake Shack etc. won't be open yet, looking forward to some Belgian frites!

With all the new food trucks in the last year, seems like there's an opportunity for some better pre-game snacks than in the past. Setting up a designated area outside the stadium for a couple of carts on a rotating basis would be awesome (but would also cut into the concession profits, so maybe it's a total nonstarter). I used to stop off for a pre-game empanada at the On the Fly cart.

From what I recall the Nats weren't too happy about the On The Fly cart, but it was parked on private land so they couldn't do anything about it. I second a call for allowing food trucks around the stadium, maybe on M St since that is closed to traffic anyway. They have a similar set up at Camden Yards with vendors right outside the gates.

They were out of hot chocolate by the 5th inning. And there were the usual First Day delays at all the stands. It took the guy sitting next to me 50 minutes to get a hot dog and beer. Getting cotton candy isn't as much fun now that you can get it any time at the hot dog place on 8th.

I heard a rumor that they were putting in a system where you put in your own order and then give the cashier a number or something to pay.

I heard a rumor that they were putting in a system where you put in your own order and then give the cashier a number or something to pay.

There was an article from the Washington Business Journal [reads like a vendor press release] detailing their plans.

Washington Nationals Baseball Club LLC has hired Micros to update its concessions and restaurant ordering systems with its computerized touch screens, which actually do a lot more than just ring up checks. Known as hospitality management systems and widely used in the restaurant industry, the systems also manage inventory, speed the ordering process and increase transaction controls and employee accountability, reducing theft.

They also virtually link waiters to kitchens, and at Nationals Park, that includes in-seat ordering throughout the stadium. The Nationals will make the switch on opening day March 31.

The Nationals deal was made through Micros Systems Leisure and Entertainment business unit, which specializes in stadium and arena customers. Financial terms weren’t disclosed.

From your experience, "the switch" to in-seat ordering wasn't available opening day?

Yes, the naming is a little confusing. The "Club Level" actually encompasses the upper promenade behind the score board The velvet ropes don't show up until you are most of the way down the 1st base line, otherwise it is how you access all of the 200-400 level outfield seats . I think the Mezzanine Level is the only one that is totally access-controlled.

The Mezzanine seating sections are on the same level as the Club sections. The Club section is closed off from the peons, but the Mezzanine isn't. We always buy our tickets in the LF Mezzanine section - the (few) concession stands and bathrooms seem quieter there, and it's a great vantage point for watching Zimm.

I'm looking forward to the new Meyer spots, but I still miss Mayorga's carts. I'm too cheap to eat much at the park, but I'm always ready to shell out for hot caffeine.

We're planning to see the Nats play the Pirates in Pittsburgh later this month. The game will be... well... I hear the food is pretty good at PNC Park.

We're planning to see the Nats play the Pirates in Pittsburgh later this month. The game will be... well... I hear the food is pretty good at PNC Park.

I have been to A LOT of baseball stadiums and I feel that PNC Park is the best of them all. The Pirates suck, they really suck, but I love going to that stadium on a nice summer day. The food is pretty good as well, as is the case with most parks these days.

I have been to A LOT of baseball stadiums and I feel that PNC Park is the best of them all. The Pirates suck, they really suck, but I love going to that stadium on a nice summer day. The food is pretty good as well, as is the case with most parks these days.

My son and I went to PNC Park 3 years ago. A beautiful stadium and great baseball experience, had more the feel of Camden Yards than our new digs, but possibly even better. I told my son that I saw pierogies listed on the stadium website as being offered. I went off one inning and finally found some in the upper deck down the LF line. Possibly I just went in the wrong direction. He loved them, however, and he is a pretty discerning pierogi eater. For my part, I had never had a Primanti Bros sandwich, so I easily found one of their several concessions and had an outstanding hot capicola sandwich.

Last night, I stopped in Pittsburgh on my way into America's heartland, and stayed, yes, at a Holiday Inn Express, just off the Pa. Turnpike. An actual Primanti Bros satellite location/franchise was 5 minutes from my hotel. I had gotten in late, but they were still open. The capicola on the sandwich there was barely edible, and the sandwich overall paled in comparison to the one I had at PNC Park.

Enjoy your visit to a great baseball stadium. One good thing about the low attendance is short lines at some good concessions!

I was at opening day and was disappointed with some of the food changes. First off, on the upper level behind the scoreboard, a lot of new places were serving out of trailers while renovations were still taking place on the physical spaces up there. Um what? Hello? You had all fall and winter to figure this out in time for Opening Day! What happened? Also, Teddy's BBQ has been replaced by an "Extreme Dog" place. Not sure what they serve, but the Teddy's Rough Rider sandwich will be missed.

In some much better new though, one of my favorite food trucks, District Taco (Osiris is the man!) won a coveted spot outside the stadium:

http://foodtruckfiesta.com/district-taco-nationals-ballpark/

I was at opening day and was disappointed with some of the food changes. First off, on the upper level behind the scoreboard, a lot of new places were serving out of trailers while renovations were still taking place on the physical spaces up there. Um what? Hello? You had all fall and winter to figure this out in time for Opening Day! What happened? Also, Teddy's BBQ has been replaced by an "Extreme Dog" place. Not sure what they serve, but the Teddy's Rough Rider sandwich will be missed.

I'm sure removal of alternative bbq options was part of the deal to bring in Blue Smoke. As for the "Xtreme Dawgs", from the always awesome Let Teddy Win:

Choose from the deli dog with kraut and thousand island dressing; The Heater with buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese slaw; the Nach-Yo Dog (top right) with pico de gallo, peppers, cheese and sour cream; the Frito Pie Dog with chili, cheese, and Fritos; or the most outrageous of them all: The Big Kid Dog with macaroni and cheese and Fritos on top.

Yay? B) I just hope for items that Xtreme they have a tap fountain that only pours Mountain Dew, Surge, and Red Bull.

Got free tickets along the 3rd base line for today's game with the Braves (go Braves!) but no parking pass. Good news - parking in the garage is available for $40 but there's a $2 convenience fee, and another $5.25 processing and delivery fee. The delivery fee is for printing the damn parking pass at home. B)

Got free tickets along the 3rd base line for today's game with the Braves (go Braves!) but no parking pass. Good news - parking in the garage is available for $40 but there's a $2 convenience fee, and another $5.25 processing and delivery fee. The delivery fee is for printing the damn parking pass at home. B)

There's a self-park lot on the north side of M St not far from S Capitol

Good news! Metro runs right to the stadium as well. With the early start time and the cherry blossom 10 miler, driving in will likely be rough.

The dirty little secret is that most of the time, there's parking available in almost every lot.

We usually park in lot HH. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the stadium, there's easy on/off access to 395, I've never seen the lot full, and it's FIVE bucks. If you like to tailgate, Lot W is only $10, but that one does tend to fill up close to game time when the weather is nice.

Good news! Metro runs right to the stadium as well. With the early start time and the cherry blossom 10 miler, driving in will likely be rough.

Driving was rough as the trip took over an hour. Luckily the baby didn't complain and we had great seats just past the 3rd base. We had some Flippin pizza and Hard Times dogs. The pizza was $5 per slice but it looks like a quarter of a pizza. The baby had some and kept wanting more, a future junk food fiend for sure. The chili dog was $7 and I found no redeeming value in it. The dog had no snap/texture and was quite flavorless. The bread was mushy, the cheese industrialized. Can't wait for the new vendors.

Is it just me, or are others apathetic about the new vendors as well?

Does anyone really think that just because a food-service kiosk has the name "Shake Shack" on it, it's going to be any good? Case in point: my Max's falafel last year consisted of pre-made falafel balls, had extremely limited toppings, and was one step away from lousy.

Does anyone really think that just because a food-service kiosk has the name "Shake Shack" on it, it's going to be any good? Case in point: my Max's falafel last year consisted of pre-made falafel balls, had extremely limited toppings, and was one step away from lousy.

I have a friend that lives in NYC and has been to the Shake Shack at Citi Field on a few occasions. He says that it isn't quite as good as the location that he frequents in the city, but it is still very good and much better than anything else that you can get at that stadium.

I am ambivalent about any stadium food that is not either a hotdog, cold beer, or regional specialty to the team (say a brat at Miller Park - which sucked, and I mean both the sausage and the park). While my tour of baseball stadiums has been limited, I find that most ballpark food is lousy.

I'll wait until they open to be apathetic. If the Shake Shack in Citifield Madoff Park is any indication, it will be far and away the best option among the ballpark eats. I've lived within five blocks of the original shake shack, and didn't find much of a difference between the ballpark version, if any. Time will tell, but Danny Meyer's previous success is some cause for optimism, no?

The dirty little secret is that most of the time, there's parking available in almost every lot.

We usually park in lot HH. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the stadium, there's easy on/off access to 395, I've never seen the lot full, and it's FIVE bucks. If you like to tailgate, Lot W is only $10, but that one does tend to fill up close to game time when the weather is nice.

I also like Lot W on 7th and M SE. It's $10, never fills up and you have the option of being close to all the bars and restaurants on Barracks Row before/after.

To add to the neighborhood eating chatter - I stopped in to the new Bullfeathers before the opener and was pleased with the selection of beers and overall vibe (maybe a little too bright and clean, but I'm not complaining since it's a 100% improvement over the old Bullfeathers). Pretty good bacon cheeseburger and fries as well. Easy enough walk from Capitol South Metro.

Time will tell, but Danny Meyer's previous success is some cause for optimism, no?

Well ... honestly, even if the stadium Shake Shack was on the same level as what I had in the Upper West Side last summer, I wouldn't be jumping up and down about it. That said, it would still be the best option by a long shot, so I'll go ahead and be "skeptically optimistic," or maybe "optimistically apathetic." B)

Cheers,

Grumpelstiltskin <---- I was called that once.

Major failure last night at the stadium. I was at opening day at RFK (utter debacle). I was at opening day at Nats Park (utter debacle). But, in their fourth season, on a night that maybe had 25,000 people, I am beginning to believe that this franchise will never, ever, ever be able to successfully run concessions properly.

For starters, I would estimate that 40% or so of all concession stands were closed. Even with a non-sell out crowd, this led to impossibly long lines everywhere. Next, we get to the part where no one, at any concession stand, seems to 1) know what the hell is going on or 2) is motivated to move faster than molasses. Hoping to increase our luck, our group of four decided to go to four entirely different concession stands and just buy what we could, hoping that we could make some semblance of a meal out of it. I went to the "bar" concession stand, stood there for 10 minutes and witnessed the "bartender" make two Crown Royal's on the rocks, but then freeze when the person was trying to pay him. The customer had some sort of certificate, which the "bartender" didn't know how to use, so he had to call a manager, who was coming from who-knows-where, to help him out. I left the line to find one friend get shut out of the sausage stand (one customer served during his time in line), one friend bail on the grill stand (he said it was utter chaos) and, thankfully, my one friend at the front of the Flippin Pizza line. I hate Flippin Pizza, but you know what I hate worse? Starving. The issue was, the cashier didn't know how to run his credit card (she claimed the machine was broken, but the cashier next to her was running credit cards just fine), and he didn't have any cash. The rest of us had cash and stepped in the solve the problem.

And, this is what it comes down to, being able to solve problems. Can't someone, at some point, take control of a concession stand and run it like an actual freakin business for once!?

Is this all the Nationals fault? Of course not, but it makes the fan experience worse and it effects them in the long run.

Sorry for my yuppie rant, and I may be spoiled, but I don't think that it is too much to ask to get up from your seat and purchase food/drink within a two innings time span.

At least it was a beautiful night and game was quick, but I sure do hate Philly fans.

Yeah last night was a disaster. The pace of the game made it seem especially bad but none of the cashiers knew what the hell was going on. It seemed like some kind of system-wide credit card machine disaster. They wouldn't even let people pay cash until they could open the till. One cashier was pouring beers and allowing people to drink while she waited for backup, which was appreciated, but time was at a premium with Cliff on the mound. Another issue is that in the upper deck area they don't have any (or not nearly enough) of the walking vendors (who only deal in cash).. That definitely would have taken some pressure off the stands.

Unrelated--what are people thinking when they dress themselves for a ballgame? Shirt and tie straight from work, fine, but so many people last night were dressed for a night out.. Fucking interns.

Is it just me, or are others apathetic about the new vendors as well?.

We went two nights ago for the first time this season. Observation #1: It won't get any better than Jordan Zimmerman vs Cliff Lee all season and the place was maybe 2/3 full. And, #2: having walked the entire stadium closely checking out every food vendor, agree strongly with Rocks. Couldn't be more apathetic...or outright disappointed. Bring on the trucks.

Yeah last night was a disaster. The pace of the game made it seem especially bad but none of the cashiers knew what the hell was going on. It seemed like some kind of system-wide credit card machine disaster. They wouldn't even let people pay cash until they could open the till.

This happened two nights ago for our game also but, in a comically inept way, it worked out fabulously well. Waited on line for 20 minutes or so at Ben's. At the register, the cashier had the drawer open and cash piled on the counter. She asked me if I was paying cash or wanted to use a credit card. After I answered "credit card," she waved me past and said "don't worry about it." There's a great business practice.

I hit "Jammin Island BBQ" yesterday at the stadium. There was some confusion: I ordered ribs ($13) and potato salad ($3). The cashier asked if I wanted a combo. I said sure, thinking it was something I hadn't seen, and instead she rang up ribs and chicken ($16). Same price, and I ended up getting what I wanted (no chicken, but potato salad) but it was annoying.

$3 worth of potato salad was tasty, but small.

The ribs came with grilled plantains that were a bit too sweet for me but the wives liked. Also fried yucca, which I quite enjoyed. The rub on the ribs was tasty though the meat was a bit tough.

Also, my sister-in-law wanted a pretzel. That's all she wanted. We were at the Red Loft / Porch, whatever it's called on the upper level, and my brother got it for her from the bar. It was ENORMOUS. Also, it came with three things - nacho cheese (in scoop form!), icing, and something else. I heard the icing was good from a drunk guy who may also have been my brother.

Anyway, that's that.