Pizzeria Orso, S. Maple Ave. in Falls Church - Chef Carlos Diaz Steps In For Will Artley, With GM Sara Barrera

Didn't check the website before I headed over for lunch. Well, they're now closed on Mondays. The sign in the restaurant says they're closed on the next few Mondays - didn't specify how many weeks they'll be closed on Mondays. Fortunately my favorite pupusa joint (Blanca's) is just down the street.

Dropped in for a quick solo lunch today and (inspired by Don's last post) ordered the Cotto e Funghi . He's right - that's a damned fine pizza. The cream just adds a suppleness to the flavor and the mushrooms are quite good - great texture and a variety of shapes and sizes that add both visual interest and the fun of trying to corner the tiny ones while they're all helpless (MUAHAHAHA!)

Stopped in for a late breakfast of two poached eggs in a relatively mild marinara sauce served with two largish pieces of very buttery bruschetta. Very simple. Very good. Not much I can say about the pizza that hasn't already been said. Oh yeah, the pints are a refreshing 16 ounces. :(

Looking forward to trying this place out tonight, though find the Yelp reviews really disconcerting. This thread led me to believe things started out rocky but smoothed out over the past two months, but the negatives run right up through the most recent reviews. Bummer.

Without having seen the specials I'm planning to order the eggplant parm, a cured meat of some sort, maybe some burrata, and the funghi pie. Seem like pretty safe choices, so hoping for the best here. Any more tips on sure winners appreciated! Will report back..

Looking forward to trying this place out tonight, though find the Yelp reviews really disconcerting. This thread led me to believe things started out rocky but smoothed out over the past two months, but the negatives run right up through the most recent reviews. Bummer.

Without having seen the specials I'm planning to order the eggplant parm, a cured meat of some sort, maybe some burrata, and the funghi pie. Seem like pretty safe choices, so hoping for the best here. Any more tips on sure winners appreciated! Will report back..

Hard to go wrong with a combo of fennel salad, Margherita DOC and Grotta del Sole gragnano, in my opinion (and as stated ad nauseam above)

It won't be long, rumor is after labor day, we will be open Monday nights..

A buddy of mine says let's get some Orso tonight. It never crossed my mind, they are not open on Monday nights until I'm half way over to the place and he calls from out front saying, they are not open.

I guess this is what I get for not making it tomorrow night!

My first bite of an Orso struck me as being almost shockingly salty, but with each subsequent bite the complexity of the pie started to show. On my second slice I had a revelation that this garlicky white pizza had just surpassed Buffalo wings and Nachos as the best beer food I had ever eaten.

One of my quick-and-easy litmus tests for "what is, and isn't, truly good food" is ... is it still good when it gets cold? Orso is; Flippin' ain't.

Right from the refrigerator it was pretty damn spectacular, but even better after the crust came to room temperature.

I've now had 6 pies from Pizzeria Orso, each different than the other, but all unified by the incredible crust. Last night we shared two; the marinara and the pizza fritto. In concept these couldn't be more different--one with just tomato sauce, a liitle bit of garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, the other not even baked in the oven, but filled with cheese and lightly fried. Both were amazingly great pizzas, displaying just how good this pizza dough is, I think. The marinara was a very good rendition of the classic simple pizza, showcasing the tomato sauce but letting the light char on the crust shine. The pizza fritto was like the state fair food of my wet dreams, lightly fried, mouth wateringly delicious. It was a savory pizza as dessert food.

I live too far from Pizzeria Orso to make it a weekly go-to; if you don't, you should.

Have you ever wondered if a forum like DR.com has an impact on the local food scene? Several years ago, a certain pizzaiolo posted on the employment area of this board about his sudden availability to pursue other opportunities. Considering the state of the DC pizza scene at the time, I was troubled by the thought of losing those skills (or more accurately: losing access to the resulting pizzas) and made the proverbial call to "some people". The resulting wait for Orso to become a reality has been so very long. But yes, this community played an important role in the creation of this pizzeria.

No, I didn't receive any interest in the venture, but I'll keep my comments brief as - no matter how I try - my perspective will always be colored by a subtle and inescapable bias. Still it was rewarding even before Orso opened: the chef's new backers sent him on a global search for great pizze, many of which were posted about here on DR. I scheduled a few detours based on some of those posts; I might not have had gotten to sample Una Pizza Napoletana in NYC before it closed, otherwise.

Apart from one lunchtime example (not from Edan's hands) which I thought was a bit overtopped, these pies have thrilled me in a way not seen since 2Amys first opened. The simpler salumi-topped examples (particularly the namesake Orso, my favorite) have outshone some of the more complex and folded types in my opinion, but the flavor of the crust is far better than I had hoped for. It has been, for me, the best DC-area pizza of any style, that I can remember.

Magnificent.

I'd like to see more daily special pizze on the board, but that's a minor quibble as I'd gladly eat a Margherita on each and every visit. I'll also vouch for its day-after properties, although it took me a good half-dozen pies before I had leftovers from failing to finish one onsite. Service has always been friendly, although somewhat ragged around the edges at times.

My many recent visits to Orso have been disappointing to say the least. Sorry to say after last night’s dinner we will not be going back. Over the past weeks we have noticed that the quality and consistency of the pizzas were all over the map. The other significant issues was the ingredients, there was no balance. Overcheesed or drenched in oil or lopsided ingredient placement. It was clear that no one was looking at what was being delivered. Last night started out with a glass of wine, that when delivered to the table the guest sitting next to me could smell that it was bad. We were presented with a slimmed down menu, with all but the basics left. No more clam pizza, which is one of their best. We ordered a few apps, the eggplant being one of them. It was presented with a nice crisped browned top, but the center was dead cold. The pizza’s were decent, but not worth the trip. Crispy to the center and would crack if you tried to bend. Burnt in spots while no char on others, ingredients missing and out of balance. It was clear that it was not a skilled hand at the oven. A point to be made is that I have noticed that each time there were issues MacQuaid was not at the oven and the expeditor was not at the pass. I did not let the fact that he was not cooking color my opinions, but what they delivered was subpar and kind of proved my point. They have one person that can make the pizza and without him there it is simply not worth going. As a note they have removed the arancini from the menu, which was a wise decision in my opinion. It always had issues, undercooked, lacking salt or overall flavor. The bright spot is the staff, always helpful, understanding and responsive.

Unless things change I do not see them being open much longer, unless they have really deep pockets. The town is filled with mediocre pizza there is no need for me to go and spend $65 there.

Say Hi next time.

We were there at about 6:45 or so. The Suppli were good, but still underseasoned to our taste, but at least that's consistent. The Diavola pizza was great, as usual, if not a little heavy on "spicy sausage", a/k/a pepperoni. I've got Firestone Union Jack IPA in the fridge at home, but I love having access to it during a dinner out, too!

In regards to the above post, I agree that there are some consistency issues, however this isn't McDonald's, where you expect the same dish no matter when or where you go. The important part is that it never is bad, it's just varying versions of good to great. I would expect that to improve over time, hopefully. When we came in last night I noticed that the guy I've normally seen at the oven was overseeing, not doing the work. It looked like a couple of trainees were learning the ropes, so that may be a reason for the changes in the pizza noted above. I didn't see Aiden or his wife in the building.

My consistent complaint about Orso's though, and it's not a deal-breaker, is the inability of the kitchen to time our apps and pizze better. They come in rapid succession unless we order apps first and wait to order the entrees.

In regards to the comments "I agree that there are some consistency issues, however this isn't McDonald's, where you expect the same dish no matter when or where you go" I fully understand that, but there are minimums and standards that should be held. Pizza at that level is a Art and a passion and is not eaisly passed to others. As far as the training issue that should not be my concern, if that is what they were doing they should have someone at the pass controlling the product. My comments were not based on a one time experience. We usually spend around $65.00 for two people there for dinner. I expect more than I have been getting.

In my last visit I also noticed the significant reduction in the menu's offerings--I hope that is not a bad sign. The pizza was still excellent, though our appetizer did not get brought out until after the pizza came, which put a significant crimp in our toddler management plan.

They have one person that can make the pizza and without him there it is simply not worth going.

I'm going to disagree with that, bordering on taking offense to it.

Edan is, without a doubt, the man, but we have a good crew and he is certainly not the only person on our team whose pizze I've eaten, including my own (Dr. X-mus, I'm probably the guy "normally at the oven that's not Edan."). Keep in mind that we're a young restaurant and the kinks are still being worked out- things are not yet exactly the way that we want them to be, but that's a daily challenge for us, and one at which we are improving every day. The same goes for the food timing issues- it's been difficult to train servers to execute that exactly as we need, but that definitely is a concern of ours as well.

As for the expediter issue, we have realized that and just hired a person specifically for that position. We're confident that's going to be remedied in the near future.

I'm curious about your "crispy to the center" comment regarding the pizze in question as well, because usually the issue is that it's too moist in the center, due to the moisture content of the cheese. I've never seen our dough to the cracking point in the crust, let alone the center.

Edan is, without a doubt, the man, but we have a good crew and he is certainly not the only person on our team whose pizze I've eaten, including my own (Dr. X-mus, I'm probably the guy "normally at the oven that's not Edan."). Keep in mind that we're a young restaurant and the kinks are still being worked out- things are not yet exactly the way that we want them to be, but that's a daily challenge for us, and one at which we are improving every day. The same goes for the food timing issues- it's been difficult to train servers to execute that exactly as we need, but that definitely is a concern of ours as well.

As for the expediter issue, we have realized that and just hired a person specifically for that position. We're confident that's going to be remedied in the near future.

I'm curious about your "crispy to the center" comment regarding the pizze in question as well, because usually the issue is that it's too moist in the center, due to the moisture content of the cheese. I've never seen our dough to the cracking point in the crust, let alone the center.

Well, I like the pizza here a lot because every time it has been cooked perfectly, but the appetizers are also quite good. My #1 complaint is the color of the paint on the walls - it just doesn't work. It is too "hot" and it doesn't match the rest of the decor. A softer yellow would be good, or a burnt siena. The orange just doesn't work.

My favorite? the eggplant appetizer.

We have dined at Orso numerous times and can echo NONE of the complaints registered above. I am sure they are legitimate and would never question their veracity but I would add that my quite numerous dining experiences at Orso have been overall quite positive. The minor missteps we have encountered have not been enough to prevent us from returning on a regular basis.

I did notice the slimmed down menu last Friday. Any insights ? My wife really likes the marinara pizza and they seems to have gotten chopped.

Can not help you are taking offense to my comments, I am sure you read my past comments and understand there is no bias. Just relaying my comments. To be clear the crispy to the center comments was relating to not one, but two pizzas that we had- Seems that people are taking it personally. I not discounting others positive experiences just sharing mine.

It was clear that it was not a skilled hand at the oven.

Unless things change I do not see them being open much longer, unless they have really deep pockets.

Sireatsalot,

Maybe it's lines like these that people take offense to, you know? These aren't really stated as "personal opinions"...they are insults to the people that are working hard at Orso every day. We restaurant folks can and do take criticisms on a daily basis (and truly value them, believe it or not), but when your opinions come off as potshots at staff and the small business as a whole, can you really blame anyone that works at Pizzeria Orso for being offended?

I don't know the Orso crew and have only dined there once (which was only okay but it was soon after their opening--it's not like I'm in the tank for them) but I bet my life that they are busting their asses every day to work hard and get better. Comments like yours probably only inspire them to crank out some killer food to make you sound the fool. I'm going to stop in this weekend while the oven is hot and the staff is pissed off...it'll make for some great food for me!

Can not help you are taking offense to my comments, I am sure you read my past comments and understand there is no bias. Just relaying my comments.

Your comments are appreciated and respected, but your presumption that I don't know how to do my job well is not. The majority of the time that Edan's not working the oven, I am, and it's something that I've put quite a bit of effort into learning well, and the same goes for the other cooks. Comments on the food are one thing, comments on the people making the food are another altogether.

Sireatsalot,

Maybe it's lines like these that people take offense to, you know? These aren't really stated as "personal opinions"...they are insults to the people that are working hard at Orso every day. We restaurant folks can and do take criticisms on a daily basis (and truly value them, believe it or not), but when your opinions come off as potshots at staff and the small business as a whole, can you really blame anyone that works at Pizzeria Orso for being offended?

I don't know the Orso crew and have only dined there once (which was only okay but it was soon after their opening--it's not like I'm in the tank for them) but I bet my life that they are busting their asses every day to work hard and get better. Comments like yours probably only inspire them to crank out some killer food to make you sound the fool. I'm going to stop in this weekend while the oven is hot and the staff is pissed off...it'll make for some great food for me!

Let me clarify- my comments were more related to the distinct nature of the product that they are producing. There were in no way meant to take a personal shot at anyone. As you can see this is not my first time commenting on the visits, there have been many positive visits and I have noted them. I will edit my original comments to exclude that comment and focus on what was delivered.

We went to Orso last night. I am not a pizza snob, I like pretty much any kind of pizza, but I am convinced that Orso has some of the best pizza around, if not the best pizza around. The two pies we had last night were great and we really enjoyed the salad that we split as an appetizer - it was a basic green salad, but they were nice enough to split it up onto two plates for us. The cannolis were good too, I like a creamier filling than what we had last night, but I did like the flavor a great deal.

I do have to say, however, that the service leaves something to be desired. I have now been three times and the service just seems off/rushed/understaffed. I have never worked as a server, so I cannot pinpoint the issue, but the servers at Orso never seem to be around when you need them. I would lean towards the restaurant not having enough servers there at any one time, but I don't think that is it, when I look up from the table, I always see a bunch of them hustling around, so something else is going on. Since this is a pizza joint, although a very good one, I don't care if the service is a bit off, but the experience would be much better if that got squared away.

Congrats to the Orso team on their nice write up in the Post Dining Guide. Apparently word got around because the place was mobbed at 6pm on Saturday evening. We usually don't have to wait at that early hour but we did have a short wait that night. We ordered suppli al telefono, mixed greens salad, a bambino and two margherita pizzas. All were outstanding. Our server was clearly quite busy but he did a nice job keeping up. Overall, a quite enjoyable evening and satisfying to see a restaurant we really like getting recognized.

Congrats to the Orso team on their nice write up in the Post Dining Guide. Apparently word got around because the place was mobbed at 6pm on Saturday evening. We usually don't have to wait at that early hour but we did have a short wait that night. We ordered suppli al telefono, mixed greens salad, a bambino and two margherita pizzas. All were outstanding. Our server was clearly quite busy but he did a nice job keeping up. Overall, a quite enjoyable evening and satisfying to see a restaurant we really like getting recognized.

say hi next time!

Just wanted to post again since my mid-Summer post described a just ok/disappointing experience. We've been back several times since and can likely be called regulars now. Service has been good every time and pizzas/dough have been consistently good to great. I discovered the Quatro Stagioni on the last visit. The flavor combination was delicious. Soups are also tasty, which is the preference of a little dog #2 who does not like pizza (I know.....his sister doesn't like chocolate. I can't explain.......).

We went to P.O. with the kids on Saturday (10/23) afternoon. Decor and vibe are nice.... Food is just OK. We each ordered pizza. Mine, the Margherita DOC was under cheesed with one lonely leaf of basil! I tried my hubbie's Capricciosa which was much tastier and had more flavor. I'm willing to give it a second chance. But in my humble opinion 2 Amy's still rules for Best Pizza around.

Dropped in for a quick solo lunch today and (inspired by Don's last post) ordered the Cotto e Funghi . He's right - that's a damned fine pizza. The cream just adds a suppleness to the flavor and the mushrooms are quite good - great texture and a variety of shapes and sizes that add both visual interest and the fun of trying to corner the tiny ones while they're all helpless (MUAHAHAHA!)

If it had just a few more basil leaves I would put this on my Mount Rushmore of great pizzas.

The Sprecher Root Beer is a great offering, though it would be better with a frosty mug :)

Had to pick up my wedding dress (!) out in Falls Church last night, so one of my bridesmaids and I stopped into Orso for dinner. I had ignored a lot of the write ups on Orso just because I'm never out in Falls Church, but seemed like a good option for the evening. I really like that they have spots dedicated in the parking garage just behind the restaurant.

Our service was pretty slow and inattentive, but it wasn't a huge deal since we were enjoying chatting. We decided to split two pizzas: Orso (no tomato) ($18 - ricotta, mozzarella, grana, fontina, pecorino, garlic, prosciutto di parma) and Filetto ($14 - fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil, garlic). The Orso was the clear winner. At first we weren't sure about paying the extra $3-4 for the prosciutto, but it was a very generous serving and was quite delicious. The Filetto could've been better with more basil and a firmer bake. It was MUCH "soupier" in the middle than the Orso. The Orso was perfectly cooked, and the combination of toppings was delicious.

The pies are a very generous serving, and I love that they aren't really a uniform size and shape, but rather very hand-crafted looking. I also love that because of the high heat of the oven the pizzas come out very quickly!

Bottom line is that I probably won't make a trek out to Falls Church (I live in Brookland now) for Orso, but if I'm in the area, I'd definitely have it on my list. And if I lived in VA I'd be back a lot.

One thing with these pies--if you cut into the center when they are delivered, they will get soupier due to the fresh, uncooked, unreduced tomato element. This is one of the reasons the pies at Orso come unsliced. The pie needs to "set up" almost like a roast. So wait a few minutes before sharing slices!

Not much to say, other than I enjoyed the heck out of it last night.

My brother and I split an order of the fried risotto with mozzeralla - yummy. I got the Giamette and he got the Orso, and we both really liked what we got.

The Firestone IPA on tap was pretty tasty, though I would have also tried the Anderson Valley winter solstice had I noticed it (RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME) as we sat at the bar. Matt got the Bourbon Barrel Stout and loved it.

nom nom nom leftovers nom nom nom

We will be offering the Orso Vera pizza tonight. 5 cheese with shaved white truffle $35...

And then your husband says, "Will you stop taking tiny bites of that, because I want the rest for leftovers and you said you were full?"

By the way, there's this special right now -- or at least tonight -- eggplant and speck crostini, which is this eggplant-olive spread about which Darthjim said, "It's the best tapenade I've ever had," to which I responded, "More that it's like olive baba ghanoush," and finally Arcturus confirmed, "Exactly -- tapaghanoush." And, of course, then it's topped with speck. Frankly, I could eat that spread by the spoonful.

Pizza Man, Arcturus, and the rest of the Orso crew, I have one word for you, and that word is: NOM.

Took the family to Orso this past weekend, and it was okay. From what I read about it I expected the pizza to be on par with 2Amy's and even better than pie-tanza, but it is a different style of pizza altogether and I get that. It was soggy in the center, which was expected, but it seemed a lot more soggy or wet than it should have been. My kids did not like the pizza at all. My wife thought hers was okay, but she was not a fan of the over soggy middle, either. The taste was great; cheese was creamy and gooey, and the outer crust had a nice char and was crispy and chewy, the way I like it. We also got some apps which were pretty good, the crostini I believe. I like the decor and location, I wish the pizza was a little better. On the recommendation of my sister we went to pupatella the next day, which I thought was fantastic and how Orso's pizza was going to be. It was our first time at both, so we have to go back a few more times to determine if our first experiences were spot-on, or if they were anomalies.

As much as Mrs DrXmus and I love Orso, we had a rough experience last night. Service was the worst we've ever had it. I've seen others comment on inconsistent service, and I guess this is what they're seeing. We finally had to ask the hostess (we were right next to her) to find our server for us. The server didn't know anything about one of the beers on tap, Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. I told my wife what I knew about it, that it's a California brewery and was a "winter warmer" which should be malty and a little sweet. She asked the server for information and she was told the beer is from a Kentucky brewery and the alcohol was 6%. That's all she knew (and she was wrong about both!). SWMBO's Diavola pizze was great, as usual. That's been our go-to pizze for consistently good eats. I had the Quattro Staggioni, which had the oft-mentioned, dreaded liquid/soupy center. It was all absorbed by the time I finished 1/2 of the meal, but the central crust was essentially nonexistent at that point. The edge crust was fantastic, though, as usual. The salami it was really, really tasty.

Thanks to the nice folks at Orso for accomodating me and 12 of my workmates Friday afternoon for a little holiday luncheon. Service was smooth, the pizzas even better. I was the only one to have enjoyed Orso before Friday but I think they won some converts. We ordered a wide variety of pies and appetizers and I don't think there was a dud in the bunch. Job well done.

Stopped back in to Orso last week and had a better experience then the previous other visits. Orders the Meatball app, which was perfect. The sauce was amazing. Ordered a simple pizza with eggplant. Pies were decent, nice char, a little un-balanced with toppings, but overall good. The service on the other hand was a totally different experience. It was perfect, for me it was a total different experience. For two people, one app and two pies and a glass of wine the bill was $65.00 I find it a bit expensive, but will continue to go back every now and again.

Big night last night - after about a dozen visits I finally tried something other than the margherita pizza. I went with my old favorite - the fennel salad - to start and was pleasantly surprised by the addition of grapefruit segments to the mix. I love this salad. Then, I went with the ortaggio pizza, which I liked but I must admit to missing the margherita. The ortaggio was a fantastic pizza, don't get me wrong. The crust was perfect as usual but I longed for the simplicity of the margherita as I navigated thru the sweet peppers, onions, and eggplant of the ortaggio. Anyway, this is really splitting hairs as even the ortaggio was still so much better than pizza at just about anywhere else around here. The Peroni on draft tasted fantastic last night as well.

This place is awesome.