Pizzeria Orso, S. Maple Ave. in Falls Church - Chef Carlos Diaz Steps In For Will Artley, With GM Sara Barrera

Had lunch here the other day and really enjoyed it. We got the kids cheese pizza, which at $7, is the deal of the century since it doesn't appear any smaller than the other pizzas they serve and there's no skimping on the preparation, ingredients, etc. Did i mention that it also tasted great? Good char in all the right places and a salty (but not over-salted) crust. I wonder if you're allowed to order it without a kid present...

We also had the brussel chips, pork belly, BLT gnocchi, and arancini. Both the pork belly and gnocchi come in a very heavy, rich sauce. The pork belly was fairly well swimming in it, which would be my only quibble. That dish was kind of a mess actually, and out of the things we got, it would be the only thing I wouldn't get again.

[and our server was a space cadet...but what are you gonna do]

I had dinner the other night after picking up my car from the Saab garage. I had the "tater tots" which I liked, but honestly it is hard to have something better than real tater tots. The asparagus salad, which was really good and had a really nice dressing to it, and the octopus, which again was really good and nicely flavored.

I just love the casual vibe, but the elevated food, with food that is just simple and wonderful. It has this great ability to be a neighborhood joint, but also attract and satisfy someone who wants something a bit more creative and be a bit upscale at the same time. It's something not a lot of restaurants can do, let alone do well.

• Like 2

Finally got to Orso Saturday night. I knew it would be really good because I trust DR folks, but man, it was so good.

We had roasted cauliflower with lemon parsley emulsion and garlic -- delectable. The cauliflower was cooked just right, browned and a little soft but al dente, and it didn't have that brash flavor I'm not fond of anymore in undercooked cauliflower. The emulsion tasted like a lemony pesto and was perfect with it.

We had grilled asparagus salad with frisee, lardoons, goat cheese croquette (which is what made me order it), and lemon vinaigrette. Beautifully done. Very high quality goat cheese, the croquette wasn't over-breaded or overcooked, so it was oozing just enough, and all the ingredients complemented each other so well.

We had The Fun Guy pizza, because it has wild mushrooms and that's how I got past not ordering the roasted forest mushrooms, which would normally be my go-to dish. (Next time I'll get it.) Wonderful pizza, good char and crackly crust and great cheeses (mozzarella, fontina, parmesan) and excellent mushrooms.

That's all we ordered for dinner because we wanted to save room for dessert - next time, for two of us, we'd add something with prosciutto (though we certainly didn't leave at all hungry - but we had room for a little more and everything was so good).

Finished with pistachio cannoli and the lemon-glazed donuts with whipped nutella creme. Oh my goodness. I am not sure how I could order any dessert other than those donuts again.

• Like 1

For the tasting menus, do you come in for dinner and then tell Chef Artley your price range and likes/dislikes? Or do you need to do that in advance? I'd be fine doing it in advance but can't get out there in person before the dinner, and am thinking it probably isn't that easy to get a chef on the phone since he's busy cooking.

If we can't get the tasting menu, my husband says anything on the regular menu will be great! but I would like to try to get it for him if I can.

I set it up by phone. A good time to call is around 2:30 - 3:00 or so during the week. It only takes a few minutes and the kitchen isn't slammed during that time period so the chef will have time to get the information he needs.

My best memory of my meal there food wise has to be the realization that pizza can be rendered just as good if not better minus the cheese, we had the marinara with oregano onion and wills home made sausage, game changer. And the level of intensity put into something which comes out the other end looking simple and effortless is outstanding.

Brunch. Weekends. GO!

There are a bunch of tasty options on the menu - frittata, egg & bacon sandwich, flank steak, waffle, two breakfast pizzas. But the centerpiece is the biscuit board. A large, light biscuit, with up to nine different sauces and over a dozen toppings, from sausage gravy to mushrooms to lamb belly and fried chicken. If you go this weekend, your only regret will be that you didn't go last weekend, too.

• Like 1

Got around to Pizzeria Orso for the first time, and to quote another poster, that was "thanks to the good folks at dr.com".

Very enjoyable. What a pretty setting. My restaurant leasing background always gets in the way of my thinking abt restaurants. On the one hand I couldn't believe how barron and ugly the short drive on Maple Ave from Broad Street is to the restaurant. I similarly couldn't help but think that when Pizzeria Orso went into that new building they should have negotiated and received the world's biggest landlord contribution to buildout and a low rent to boot. But that is moot now. Its years since they went into that location.

The restaurant itself is very pretty and appealing. We had limited menus: two pizzas and two brewskis. Everything was very tasty, one crudo and one north beach pizza and one raging bitch IPA and one Virginia Face Plant IPA.

Great service, wonderful examples of a neapolitan pizza. pretty setting. I can't believe I've missed this place for years. Looking forward to returning to get into the tasting menu.

Got around to Pizzeria Orso for the first time, and to quote another poster, that was "thanks to the good folks at dr.com".

Very enjoyable. What a pretty setting. My restaurant leasing background always gets in the way of my thinking abt restaurants. On the one hand I couldn't believe how barron and ugly the short drive on Maple Ave from Broad Street is to the restaurant. I similarly couldn't help but think that when Pizzeria Orso went into that new building they should have negotiated and received the world's biggest landlord contribution to buildout and a low rent to boot. But that is moot now. Its years since they went into that location.

The restaurant itself is very pretty and appealing. We had limited menus: two pizzas and two brewskis. Everything was very tasty, one crudo and one north beach pizza and one raging bitch IPA and one Virginia Face Plant IPA.

Great service, wonderful examples of a neapolitan pizza. pretty setting. I can't believe I've missed this place for years. Looking forward to returning to get into the tasting menu.

So, you looked like your avatar when you left? :)

Say hi next time! :)

Pizzeria Orso has one of the best lunch deals in town right now: a two-topping pizza and fountain drink for $8 until 3 PM.

And free WiFi, and it's not crowded, and they don't care if you use your laptop at your table (tip well if you linger, please).

• Like 1

Pizzeria Orso has one of the best lunch deals in town right now: a two-topping pizza and fountain drink for $8 until 3 PM.

And free WiFi, and it's not crowded, and they don't care if you use your laptop at your table (tip well if you linger, please).

It IS a great deal ... but we bypassed it in favor of all the other tantalizing stuff on the menu.

Eh, what you gonna do. If we still lived in East Falls Church, I'd be there every stinking day!

hah. I was there twice and didn't see you...but I never see anyone...

its really good. I'm more of an NY style flavor and pie than a Neapolitan but its damned good.

So, you looked like your avatar when you left? :)

I guess I did..only fatter and more contented. LOL

I've been here a couple of time with friends and just ordered pizza which is great. Tonight, I dragged my husband there and we had pizza, fried calamari, caprese, pork belly with polenta, spaghetti and meatballs, and foccacia with rosemary and oil. Every single dish was a home run. Especially (for me) the pork belly which is what I'll request before going to the electric chair. For my husband it was the calamari, which blew him away. Needless to say, this is now on our regular rotation....and prices are not ridiculously high either. Win-win!

• Like 1

I steered my bookclub here today to welcome back a former member who came to town for a visit.  I was the only one of the crowd who had eaten here before and so there are now several more fans of Chef Will's work.  We arrived a little later so we were able to camp out since the restaurant wasn't crowded.  Thanks to the gracious, attentive waitstaff for allowing us plenty of time to catch up with old friends.  A variety of brunch items were ordered -- omelets, pizzas, waffles (the waffles looked superb, those ladies who ordered didn't offer to share a bite!).  I think I was the only one who got the hash and it was addictive (I also didn't share).  I also tried the grilled watermelon salad and it was a delightful summer salad with a smattering of blue cheese and plenty of argula to balance the sweet smokiness of the watermelon -- that one I did share and everyone enjoyed it.  Great value for the price in all aspects.  We all left stuffed & happy.

Finally! I and a good friend made it to Pizzeria Orso for lunch today. I had an appointment with one of the physicians who is attending my hip revision, and it was a beautiful day, and my friend said "Well, you're out of the house, what would you like to do, get lunch?". Of course my mind went blank. What to do!?

"I've been wanting to try Pizzeria Orso since it opened!" was my response, and that's where we went. It was perfect for the occasion, as I am using a wheelchair, and it was an easy roll from the parking garage handicapped spot to the entrance to the restaurant.

Mitch was an excellent and friendly server, who asked if it was our first time there, and explained the menu. I felt free to have a meal of appetizers if I wanted after that. The space has industrial touches, yet feels warm and cozy at the same time. Plus, my friend appreciated that the tables are big, as they should be in a pizza place!

We shared orders of the Tater Tots (yum - can you imagine a brunch hash made out of these?) and the meatballs on polenta - that polenta was so good it nearly overshadows the meatballs! We also enjoyed an Orso pizza...a thing of beauty with the transparent prosciutto on top...where it overlapped the edge of the delicious crust, you could see the char through the meat! I appreciated that I could take a bite of this lovely thin prosciutto and not drag the entire piece off my slice, as would happen with an inferior quality product.

We'll be back! Except, as we told Mitch, for Tuesdays, when kids eat free. :D We brought home half of the pizza, and it will be consumed later in the weekend.

• Like 2

Was there for lunch on Wednesday and had the lunch special for EIGHT dollars.  2 toppings on a pizza with a drink.  There is no better value, despite the fact that the pizza's are amazing.  Can't understand why the place isn't jammed.  This is less expensive than most fast "food".

Will made us 2 pizza's.  One traditional margarita and the second a white.  The white had mushrooms and truffle oil...along with sausage.  The truffle oil and the sausage is too good for words.  The crusts were slightly charred with great structure and flavor.  I describe the edge as pillow like.  Also had shaved sprouts.  Like chips

After lunch we chatted with Will.  Great passion.

Was there for lunch on Wednesday and had the lunch special for EIGHT dollars.  2 toppings on a pizza with a drink.  There is no better value, despite the fact that the pizza's are amazing.  Can't understand why the place isn't jammed.  This is less expensive than most fast "food".

Will made us 2 pizza's.  One traditional margarita and the second a white.  The white had mushrooms and truffle oil...along with sausage.  The truffle oil and the sausage is too good for words.  The crusts were slightly charred with great structure and flavor.  I describe the edge as pillow like.  Also had shaved sprouts.  Like chips

After lunch we chatted with Will.  Great passion.

I just finished my leftovers. The lunch special is an amazing deal; it's just that not many people go out for sit-down lunches.

Will - great passion, and a lot *less* of him.

• Like 1

"Where's the rest of you?"

That's what I said to Will Artley when he came up to say hello to me and Matt. Will has devoted himself to fitness, and has lost something like 80 pounds! Congratulations, chef!

More importantly to the diner - and I may just be imagining this - his newfound lightness is also reflected in his cuisine, and my one knock on Will's cooking before was that it tended to be on the heavy side; not this time around. Could it be that getting into shape could actually change the nature of a chef's cooking? I don't think it's as outlandish as it first sounds.

Wednesday is half-price wine night at Pizzeria Orso, and I got a bottle of 2011 Palacio de Vivero Rueda for $12 - no, you read that correctly! 75% Verdejo and 25% Viura, and 13% ABV, this is a medium-bodied, light-styled wine that is just an incredible value on Wednesday nights. We were ordering mostly light, vegetable-based dishes, so it was a perfect match.

My young dining companion enjoyed a fine Virgil's Cream Soda ($3.50). I never let Matt drink soft drinks (other than diet) when he was young, but now that he's older, I encourage him to enjoy upscale versions (or, even better, mocktails) as a "beverage" with dinner; not a "thirst quencher." It's nice to see him not left out when his dad is having a bottleglass of wine.

Grilled Heart of Romaine ($6.50) with grana, classic Caesar, and anchovies, is always good here, and this was no exception. There's a thread somewhere on donrockwell.com about the virtues, or lack thereof, of grilling romaine, but as long as it's not over-grilled (which it often is), I rather like it, and this was a good, well-dressed version, gently priced.

Slow-Roasted Corn and Pea Salad ($9) was a prime example of the lightness that I saw on this particular evening, the peas being tiny, late-season beauties that were complemented, not shoved aside, by some mint, basil, and mild feta - a stronger feta wouldn't work with a pea salad (as I was to find out later in the week at another restaurant). 

Caprese ($9) used what also were late-season tomatoes, but these were terrific tomatoes, sliced and plated in-line with cylinders of buffalo mozzarella and brought to life by vividly aromatic basil. 

The previous two dishes were summer on a plate, and as I type this, they're both gone from the online menu which has been changed for early autumn - a testament to Pizzeria Orso and the respect they show to seasonality.

Rice inside the Arancini ($4, half-price because of happy hour) was strongly accompanied with preserved chorizo and saffron, served atop a tarragon emulsion. There were three orbs, and two of them went to Matt, who was starving from his long day by the time we arrived. If you like assertive chorizo, you'll like these arancini. And at happy hour prices? It's almost like free food.

The one miss of the night was the Pork Belly ($9), the pork belly itself being fine, but it was served with a mushroom ragu (also fine) and creamy polenta, and the polenta was the culprit, being slightly congealed on the top and having a clotted texture throughout. Meh, it happens - execute the polenta correctly, and you have yourself a good dish here.

I ordered the Slow-Roasted Cauliflower ($7) for its accompaniments: lemon-parsley emulsion and garlic. I'm a sucker for cauliflower with lemon, and this was cooked right to the point where it was neither too firm, nor too mushy. We were both getting extremely full at this point (stuffed, actually), and I definitely over-ordered by getting this fine dish.

Nevertheless, there's always that second stomach, kept in reserve for dessert, and Orso's Carrot Cake ($6) was very good for a simple version ("great" carrot cake is an absolute art, and must weigh about 20 pounds, be moist throughout, and contain lots of raisins and walnuts, preferably having sour cream-based icing). This rendition was not something a dedicated pastry chef would make, but was a success within its genre because it was moist, not gratuitously sweet, and had good icing, piped on top of the cake (which contained neither raisins nor walnuts) from a pastry bag.

---

A second dinner at Pizzeria Orso was carryout - this time for pizza!

As my mom would always say, "my eyes are bigger than my stomach," and I always (erroneously) think that one pizza here won't be enough for me, so out of sheer terror, the terror of not getting enough to eat, I order something to go with it.

Chopped Salad ($9) sounded harmless enough, but turned out to be nearly my entire meal. A *huge* container full of salad, it came undressed, with the extremely curdish buttermilk dressing in a separate tub. Orso's chopped salad is made with romaine, arugula, ham, a hardboiled egg, pancetta, tomato, grana, and avocado. As I just typed that, I now realize that it *doesn't* sound harmless, and, in fact, it wasn't: it was not a healthy salad, had *lots* of ham and cubes of pancetta, and absolutely needs to be thoroughly tossed and dressed rather than trying to pour the dressing on top and stir it up with a fork (like someone we all know and love did - it doesn't work!) This is a fantastic salad for the money, but be prepared to make it your meal; not *part* of your meal.

An Orso ($17.25) was quite expensive for four pieces of pizza (yeah, yeah, I got mine sliced - they ask when you call), but it was also great. For some reason, I had convinced myself that this was a red-sauce pizza (probably because there's an Orso Bianco listed right above it), but it isn't. It is, in essence, a variation of a quattro formaggio, with mozzarella, pecorino tuscano, fontina, grana, ricotta (okay, cinque formaggio), garlic, and prosciutto - it's the same pie as the Orso Bianco with the addition of prosciutto, and was perfectly topped, perfectly cooked, and as is usually the case, showcased the wonderful sourdough crust here.

Pizzeria Orso has always been in Italic in the Dining Guide, and remains there comfortably and securely.

• Like 4

Scott and I celebrated our anniversary at Orso on Friday, and thanks to some prior discussions between Scott and Chef Will, we had a wonderful tasting menu. It always amazes me that Orso is a place where we can have a quick bite and a cider, or stop for a leisurely and full blown "game on" meal.

Between the government shutdown and my work travel last week, Scott and I both were in the mood for a little comfort and a lot of fun, and we were rewarded with both -- and great food.

We started with prosecco, aptly named Tiamo. Really nice.

First course was a lentil and roasted pumpkin salad with pesto. Autumn on a plate. And to Don's point above, a healthy and lighter dish.

Second course was yogurt chicken with volcanic seasoning. Light, perfectly cooked and addictive.

Third course was gnocchi with bolognese sauce. So good, rich and comforting but not heavy.

Fourth course was the "shutdown slider", perfectly cooked. Tasty and fun.

Yes, sane people might have stopped at this point. But what's an anniversary without a little excess?

Fifth course was wild mushroom ravioli. To. Die. For.

Sixth course was a "sunset pizza", with kale, speck and figs. I am generally in the "it's not pizza without tomato sauce" camp, but little by little Chef Will has been making me rethink this position, and this pizza was superb.

The last course was a "lover's milkshake" that we shared. Or that I allowed Scott to taste.

We are fortunate that Orso is close by to us and it was a treat to celebrate our anniversary with Chef Will and his team. Made sweeter because we met Chef Will originally thanks to others on this board (AGM and NotQuickDraw, I am looking at you) -- and that we were able to see Chef Will before his own upcoming wedding.

• Like 1

Chef Will sent us this excellent beet salad recently, which was really over the top since we had already ordered a considerable number of dishes for two.  That's not news.  What it represents is significant, though.  If the man had a weakness in his repertoire before, it had been the apparent dearth of non-rich items; you could count on almost everything being anchored by a rich base, an intense sauce, the generous application of pork.  I loved it, when moderation allowed, but quietly wondered if perhaps he just didn't do "light".

Forget about that now.  You may have to look up at the specials board, or ask him to "cook healthy" for you, but I think the influence of reinventing himself through last summer's weight loss challenge (and the new Mrs. Artley) have filled in a sizeable missing piece in his ongoing reinvention of Orso and its menu.  I'm not a big fan of kale, but his preparation of baby kale - bruised with a peppery sauce and served with a wedge of pizza dough bread - was both reminiscent of and even better than the very Neapolitan habit of finishing a pie with a heap of arugula.

post-710-0-99143500-1392841572_thumb.jpg

Chef Will sent us this excellent beet salad recently, which was really over the top since we had already ordered a considerable number of dishes for two.  That's not news.  What it represents is significant, though.  If the man had a weakness in his repertoire before, it had been the apparent dearth of non-rich items; you could count on almost everything being anchored by a rich base, an intense sauce, the generous application of pork.  I loved it, when moderation allowed, but quietly wondered if perhaps he just didn't do "light"

"Where's the rest of you?"

That's what I said to Will Artley when he came up to say hello to me and Matt. Will has devoted himself to fitness, and has lost something like 80 pounds! Congratulations, chef!

More importantly to the diner - and I may just be imagining this - his newfound lightness is also reflected in his cuisine, and my one knock on Will's cooking before was that it tended to be on the heavy side; not this time around. Could it be that getting into shape could actually change the nature of a chef's cooking? I don't think it's as outlandish as it first sounds.

:)

• Like 1

Lunch special at Orso the other day - a drink (with a refill!) and 2 topping pizza for 8 bucks.  8 bucks!   For amazing pizza!

I don't know if that is an every day thing, but I am very happy it was on the day I decided to blow off going to the office and meet someone here.  If I worked out near there, it would be dangerous.

• Like 2

On Saturday night, some friends were passing through town on their way home to Chicago after having spent a week at the Outer Banks. I suggested that the four of us go to Orso for dinner as I knew the various small plates offerings would be well received by the one visitor who had lap-band surgery a few years ago and is now very portion-conscious when it comes to his food. Besides, I knew that our mutual friend with whom they were staying was going to suggest we go to Open Road and I wanted to avoid that as they had already been there the week before when on their way to the OBX.

As it turned out, Saturday evening was perfect for eating on the patio at Orso. We split a bottle of red, I don't know what it was, but I do know our very good server said it was the last bottle of it. I had a small portion of the Wild Boar Ragu with parmesan gnocchi which was just amazing. I also split an Orso Bianco with another of our party, and the crust was just so perfectly done! We ordered Tater Tots for the table, being sure to add a 4th Tot so we could each have one. We shared our desserts, so I got to sample the wonderful Lemon Glazed Donut with the Nutella mousse as well as the lemon sorbet and the Chocolate Chip Cannolli. The Tomato Basil soup was well received by those who ordered it, as was the BLT Gnocchi.

We lingered until we realized that the chairs were up on the tables inside, but our gracious server was not in a hurry to get rid of us. Thanks to Orso for a wonderful dining experience filled with great conversation. I can't wait to go again (this was only my second time there within the span of a year), so I have an excuse to try other items on the menu.

• Like 3

On Saturday night, some friends were passing through town on their way home to Chicago after having spent a week at the Outer Banks. I suggested that the four of us go to Orso for dinner as I knew the various small plates offerings would be well received by the one visitor who had lap-band surgery a few years ago and is now very portion-conscious when it comes to his food. 

Pizzeria Orso is one of the most versatile restaurants in the DC area. "From 8 to 80" applies here about as well as it does for any restaurant - and it has parking! There are only two occasions I can think of where it won't work: breakfast and black tie.

Will Artley is not taken seriously enough as a chef. Oh, he is by people like you and me, but by awards committees? He doesn't even get a second thought - and it's time that changes. Both Evening Star Cafe and Pizzeria Orso are stereotypical "neighborhood restaurants," so let's at least consider him for a "Best Neighborhood Restaurant" award - if not something a bit more prestigious.

• Like 1

So we've been here a couple times in the last 2 months with the girls (ages 3 and 1).  Have to agree that the kids pizza @$7 is one of the best kids meals around.  In our two visits, we've had the grilled octopus, the seared scallops, the butternet squash/lentil salad, and the corn/crab chowder for starters.  the grilled octopus very well done... the seared scallops had good flavor.... but the tomato with the risotto that the scallops sat on I could make a meal of.  Mrs. RBH really enjoyed the salad and the chowder had a really nice kick to it.  Mrs. RBH has gone for the Fun Guy pizza twice... loved it twice.... I had the North Beach one meal and the meatball grinder another.  The grinder had good flavor, but I think next visit I'll be back at pizza.  I kind of wish the beer selection had more than 4 drafts... but otherwise, we summed this place as a great kid-friendly restaurant (it's loud.... doesn't really matter how loud our kids get as long as they don't crawl over to the next table), but it's really nice to get a step-up in food quality than the typical kid-friendly restaurant.  The free underground parking is another great perk, particularly in the rain and with kids in tow.....

• Like 1

I come here a lot! I came for the pizza but stayed for the small dishes! Please go try his grilled watermelon salad and his new version of heart of Brussel Sprouts! His wild boar ragu is out of this world as well! The food at Orso keeps getting better and better is that is at all possible!  

• Like 1

ORSO has an insane RW special for $35 bucks you get 2 apps, 2 pizzas and 2 desserts. The deal at lunch is great as well. I know I am biased, but if you have not tried ORSO yet, this is a good week to come in.

Agreed. The RW deal truly is insane. We did it last year and took a whole pizza home (and we usually eat an app and 2 pizzas when we go other times). We were both stuffed.

thanks to everyone for posting about RW.... we were there yesterday for the great deal.  raisab - we tried the grilled watermelon salad.  outstanding.  we also went back to the grilled octopus.  orso and the verdure pizzas.  RW got us to try dessert for the first time.... lemon-glazed donuts (my preference).... brownie w/ chocolate gelato (mrs rbh's preference).  the 3 year old deviated from the pizza to get the mac and cheese.... which I had to sample and was quite tasty.... they use an orecchiette pasta.

Game changer for Orso. Will took that restaurant to new heights. A tough toque to replace IMHO.

Absolutely a game changer.

I was just in there a week ago and talked with Will for awhile - if he knew anything, he played his cards very close to the vest.

Will might say "it took a village," but he was the reason Pizzeria Orso became one of the most improbably great neighborhood restaurants in the DC area. I have no choice but to downgrade their ranking from Italic in the Dining Guide until they prove they still deserve it. Bertrand Chemel - great chef though he may be - cannot run both restaurants.

Including carryout, I've been to Pizzeria Orso probably 20 times this year. As for visit #21? I'll be back at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

• Like 4

Wow, I just had lunch at Orso with my kids yesterday. First time I have been there in years.

The pizza were really good. Brussels chips app was really good (but skimpy for $8). Kid's pasta -- orichiette -- for $5 was a great deal.

Desserts were generous for $6 each but I was not wowed by the lemon glazed donuts -- I saw/tasted little evidence of lemon.

Hopefully they will get past this transition successfully.

Each time I went to Orso, I walked away happy. I really do hope that Will does stay in the area and continues to make the magic he made at Orso. His pizzas were absolutely my favorite in the area. "Effective Immediately" usually means an abrupt departure, and I hope Will wasn't hung out there considering he made Orso what it was. Without proper direction, I can see this becoming just another overpriced and underwhelming office building restaurant.

• Like 1

Each time I went to Orso, I walked away happy. I really do hope that Will does stay in the area and continues to make the magic he made at Orso. His pizzas were absolutely my favorite in the area. "Effective Immediately" usually means an abrupt departure, and I hope Will wasn't hung out there considering he made Orso what it was. Without proper direction, I can see this becoming just another overpriced and underwhelming office building restaurant.

Agree +100.

I hope he stays around VA/DC and we get to keep eating his fantastic food.  I have been recommending Orso left and right to people for a long time, especially people with younger kids who don't have as many options for eating so well when they bring the kids.

From Will's facebook,  "Just wanted to clear up a few things"¦.I AM NOT getting out of the business"¦.cooking is my passion"¦.it's what i do (besides listen to my wife). I'll continue to do some consulting and private gigs, as well as explore spaces. Yes, I'm entertaining offers; seeing what is out there and available; but I'm most definitely not leaving cooking"¦.Not now, not ever. 

Okay. Carry on." 

Glad he is continuing to cook.  Excited to see what happens.

• Like 1