Photo

Pizzeria Orso, S. Maple Ave. in Falls Church - Chef Will Artley Has Left The Restaurant

Falls Church American Italian Pizza Small Plates

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#351 RaisaB

RaisaB

Amused by Arrogance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:19 PM

This is horrible. I have been to this restaurant regularly this year and Will is the reason why. It was actually my favorite. My night is ruined. Ugh.

---

[I most certainly don't "Like" that your night is ruined, but you captured very succinctly what a lot of people think about this.]

(Will, when you can, please come let us know what's going on. As always, anything you (or anybody else) tells me is private, remains private.)

• DonRocks likes this

#352 hopsing

hopsing

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

We were there Saturday night, our first post-Will visit.  The fried calamari was much better than before.  The porkbelly was definitely not as good--sort of too soupy.  The new poached pear salad my husband said was ho-hum.  We split on the spaghetti and meatballs - I preferred the old way (Artley era) and he preferred the new way (post-Artley).

• DaveO likes this

#353 DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

I have been to Orso twice now in the post-Will era and have been encouraged by what we found both times. We ordered our standard fare and found no striking changes, except for a marked improvement in the calamari as noted above. Fingers crossed that the smooth sailing continues. 

• DaveO likes this
Sean Flanagan
Arlington, VA
"I am affiliated with District Taco."
"His dinner is getting all cold & eaten"

#354 ScotteeM

ScotteeM

Foie Gras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

My husband and I had lunch here one day last week. I had two old favorites: the pork belly and the roasted cauliflower. Both were every bit as good as I remember when Will was in the kitchen. My husband strayed from his usual pizza order to get the meatball grinder, which is served in a sort of folded pizza crust. He loved it!

I'm sorry Will is gone, and I look forward to trying wherever he lands in the future. But things aren't looking so bad at Pizzeria Orso for now.

Dona Animella

#355 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have been to Orso twice now in the post-Will era and have been encouraged by what we found both times. We ordered our standard fare and found no striking changes, except for a marked improvement in the calamari as noted above. Fingers crossed that the smooth sailing continues. 

My husband and I had lunch here one day last week. I had two old favorites: the pork belly and the roasted cauliflower. Both were every bit as good as I remember when Will was in the kitchen. My husband strayed from his usual pizza order to get the meatball grinder, which is served in a sort of folded pizza crust. He loved it!

I'm sorry Will is gone, and I look forward to trying wherever he lands in the future. But things aren't looking so bad at Pizzeria Orso for now.

Matt and I got three pizzas the other evening (always must have some for his breakfast the next day!), and I thought they were of comparable quality as the Artley-era pies; Matt liked them a lot, but felt they were not quite as good (Matt's palate for things such as this is at least equal to mine, but he's also more susceptible to bias). So there's two more data points.

Will took great pride in training his staff, and even told me after he left that he thought they'd do just fine. Still, unless there's a strong captain at the helm (and there may well be), degradation will begin to occur at some point.

• RaisaB and ScotteeM like this

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#356 agm

agm

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

We haven't been to Orso recently, but knowing how much pride Will took in his staff, I would expect the quality of execution of the regular menu to remain high. What will probably be missing is the creativity - the specials, the new menu items, the unexpected flavors that blow you away. The best pizza I have ever had was a pistachio-based work of art he put together one day, which never made it to the menu. That kind of thing requires a chef with talent, confidence and the freedom to create.

• RaisaB and ScotteeM like this

agm - it's my name, not my job.

#357 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

Matt and I got three pizzas the other evening (always must have some for his breakfast the next day!), and I thought they were of comparable quality as the Artley-era pies; Matt liked them a lot, but felt they were not quite as good (Matt's palate for things such as this is at least equal to mine, but he's also more susceptible to bias). So there's two more data points.

We haven't been to Orso recently, but knowing how much pride Will took in his staff, I would expect the quality of execution of the regular menu to remain high. What will probably be missing is the creativity - the specials, the new menu items, the unexpected flavors that blow you away. 

Unfortunately, I had my first solid evidence of a post-Artley decline last night. I'd ordered pizza 2-3 times from Pizzeria Orso since Will left, and thought the quality was just about the same; last night, I ordered two pizzas: a Fun Guy ($15) and a Capricciosa ($15), both of which I'd had multiple times in the past (at least five times each), and both of which had always been consistent in their quality.

The Fun Guy was still very close in character to a pre-Artley version (the sourdough starter was left at the restaurant, so the crust will remain comparable for awhile; it's the toppings that will be the first to change). However, the Capricciosa was the first-ever version that was in decline, and other than a couple of objective reasons, I can't tell you why. It was extremely salty, low on artichokes (which counteract the salt), and the slices of ham were stuck together which revealed that they were not of the highest quality. It may indeed be the same ham they were using before, but when you get 3-4 slices stuck together because of improper slicing, it enhances whatever flaws there are, and puts the entire pie out of balance - this pizza would not have seen the light of day had Will been running the kitchen.

Next to Pupatella, this is still the second-best pizza around (I had Pie-Tanza within the past week, and it's just as it always is (which isn't as good as this))

I hope this a one-off, but I fear little "things" like this might begin cropping up here-and-there which could be a precursor to a larger downfall. I should also add that I've had a disproportionate number of Orso pizzas, so I'll be one of the first to know - most customers probably wouldn't have even noticed this, or, for that matter, cared.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Falls Church, American, Italian, Pizza, Small Plates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users