Wagamama, Space Leased on 7th and D Streets in Penn Quarter - Not Opening

Woot! According to Amanda Wagamama is going to open in Chinatown. YAAY! Their noodles and broths are really good. And you don't feel mega-unhealthy after you eat there. The menu is different from the UK version though, from what I experienced in Boston. But the majority of the main event - noodles are the same.

Interesting. I heard a rumor that Wagamana was set to open in the now-empty corner restaurant space near the 18th/M St Vapiano and the Molecule salon. Either way, I am excited!

I can't believe it's been that long since I've been in that area...I guess I've been awaiting the thaw. What restaurant is gone? The only one I can think of on the corner is Daily Grill.

We enjoyed Wagamama when we were in London a few years back, and I remember thinking I'd be happy to have a place like this in DC. Even nicer if it would be at 18th/M!

I can't believe it's been that long since I've been in that area...I guess I've been awaiting the thaw. What restaurant is gone? The only one I can think of on the corner is Daily Grill.

I believe they're talking about the old Yuca space, in that little nook on 18th, just south of M. Next to where Vapiano has staked out their space. Could be wrong, though.

I believe they're talking about the old Yuca space, in that little nook on 18th, just south of M. Next to where Vapiano has staked out their space. Could be wrong, though.

I think this place is going in Penn Quarter - near the planned Vapiano there.

Interesting. I heard a rumor that Wagamana was set to open in the now-empty corner restaurant space near the 18th/M St Vapiano and the Molecule salon. Either way, I am excited!

I'd heard that rumor too. It's not a bad plan of attack. Similar style of audience. Hopefully they won't use those silly cards or undercook their pasta.

This mentions late this year or early next year. I haven't walked by that Olsson's in a while, but I would guess that the early next year estimate is a bit more realistic.

I walked by last night and peeked in the windows - it looks like it could be a while. Didn't seem to be any significant construction under way - just lots of book store debris - shelving, walls, etc. I could go for some Wagamama today too!

I walked by last night and peeked in the windows - it looks like it could be a while. Didn't seem to be any significant construction under way - just lots of book store debris - shelving, walls, etc. I could go for some Wagamama today too!

According to a response to a question submitted to their website, they are not going to open the DC location until May 2010 now!

According to a response to a question submitted to their website, they are not going to open the DC location until May 2010 now!

Nooooo - that's VERY disappointing. I was much more excited about Wagamama than the other half of the British invasion (Pret a Manger). Guess I'll need to plan a trip to Boston (or London) for my fix.

Nooooo - that's VERY disappointing. I was much more excited about Wagamama than the other half of the British invasion (Pret a Manger). Guess I'll need to plan a trip to Boston (or London) for my fix.

Wow, that really blows. I was hoping it would be around by summer. I wonder what the reason is for the insane delay? I mean, that's a HUGE delay.

A trusted source tells me that Wagamama has backed out of the deal, and that 418 7th. St. NW is now available for lease.

Confidence Level: Medium-High (a very knowledgeable informant, but I'm a bit too far removed from the actual blood and guts to bet the ranch on it).

A trusted source tells me that Wagamama has backed out of the deal, and that 418 7th. St. NW is now available for lease.

Confidence Level: Medium-High (a very knowledgeable informant, but I'm a bit too far removed from the actual blood and guts to bet the ranch on it).

Well, crap.

Boo Hoo! I've really been looking forward to that ever since I saw the sign! I remember commenting in London that I thought the Wagamama model would be really popular in DC - it had that kind of familiar vibe. That sucks.

The latest noncommittal word from Wagamama in response to an email query (a far cry from 'opening May 2010'):

"wagamama are extremely happy to have opened in america, and whilst only in boston at present, we hope that in the years to come there are many more cities and us locations we are lucky enough to open in!! at present we are researching and exploring all opportunities in america, washington dc being one of them amongst many others, once we have completed our research and have a better idea of our position we will let customers know if we are proceeding"

The space on 7th is still marked with Wagamama signs, but absolutely nothing seems to have been done to fix up the interior...