Charleston, SC

Olivia255

Had two great meals in Charleston. We were supposed to have three, but the deluge sent us on the HHI early. We ate at Magnolia's. Split the low country egg rolls, which I really liked, it was a little spicy for Mom, and a radish salad which was nicley dressed and quite tasty. Mom had shrimp and grits, I had duck, but it was different than what is on the online menu and was very good. We also had some good cocktails, I liked the lavender collins.

Our meal at Husk was really incredible, best meal of our entire trip. The crispy pig ear lettuce wraps were killer good. They had a perfect sauce on them and the cucumber onion was thinly sliced and gave nice crunch, perfect dish. We enjoyed the punches which were also really good. Mom had the cheeseburger which we both really liked, but the homemade ketchup kind of stole the spotlight with the potato wedges. I had catfish with a smoky tomato sauce and succotash that was really good, as well. We got the lemon meringue for dessert with hot tea as it poured down the rain outside. The desert was good, as well, tangy not too sweet. Very nice hot tea service, stellar service. I loved this place.

We had reservations at FIG but it was pouring down the rain so hard that after giving mom a motor tour of the town and exploring what we could we took early leave so we didn't have to drive in pouring down rain and the dark. Next time.

• Like 1

My wife just got back from a whirlwind weekend in Charleston. Ate at Husk and F.I.G. , among others. She enjoyed Husk, and found the food very interesting and unique. She was blown away by F.I.G. and said that it was one of the best meals she has ever eaten, eclipsing, in her mind, a 2009 dinner at Komi. "Not as sublime an experience as Komi, but with better food."

• Like 1

(In chronological order)

Dodge's Chicken (on the way in to town from Savannah)

We stopped because it was mentioned in the directions to Magnolia Plantation (where we were headed.) In a gas station, next to a KFC. I'd compare Dodge's chicken to Bojangles. They don't have fries, just potato wedges (JoJo's potatoes), which appear to be cut from the full length of potato. Which is to say, they're really big. Two was more than I could eat. My meal was under $5.

Magnolia's

Didn't have a reservation on a Monday night. About a 15 minute wait for a table. Cocktails at the bar included a mint julep made with honey. I liked it, the BF didn't.

Starters

Crab Bisque - Solid. If I had to find a complaint, it might be that it was too thick.

Bacon & Egg Salad - I really enjoyed this. Noticeable chunks of bacon, creamy dressing provided good balance to pickled okra. Not the best deviled egg I've ever had, but good.

Salad w/ goat cheese, pecans and fried oysters (special)- Seemed like a regular salad with fried oysters around the plate. But there were a lot of oysters, probably seven or eight.

Mains

Fish special (I think it was snapper) w/ whipped sweet potatoes and vegetable (not my dish...can't remember) - Didn't taste it, but the BF ate it all.

Spicy Shrimp & Sausage (from the Small Plates section) - Not that "small." I thought it was really salty. The BF took the leftovers and later commented that he didn't think it was that flavorful.

Hyman's

Late lunch. Had previously seen people littering the street waiting for a table. After eating here, I can say I would not wait more than five minutes for a table. The food was good, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. It was not that expensive so I feel like it was a good value.

Starters

1/2 dozen Oysters on the Half Shell -Don't remember seeing where they were from, Apalachicola maybe?

She Crab Soup - Magnolia's was better, but this was good. (Why do I keep ordering the same thing? I really like soup. I know, it's kind of weird.)

Mains

Fried Green Tomato Napoleon - After Magnolia's (and several meals in Savannah) where I far over-ordered for myself, I picked an app as my main. The fried green tomatoes were layered with crab dip and came topped with fried shrimp and a "cajun" remoulade of some sort. The batter didn't stick to the tomatoes that well, but overall it was pretty good.

Combo Platter with Fish (I don't remember which one, it was from column 3 on the board), Sea Scallops and Crab Cake - Crab cake was okay, nothing to write home about, the BF enjoyed the scallops and ate all the fish. Came with cole slaw and hush puppies. The BF chose red rice as the third (included) side.

Husk

Celebrating the BF's birthday. Had hoped to get there early enough to grab a cocktail at the bar before dinner, but didn't have time. Copying and pasting items straight from the menu to do them justice.

I thought we sat for a bit too long before anyone came to the table, but when I realized our waiter was the one who had been at the table next to ours for an extraordinarily long time discussing exactly what was in each dish so that the girl could order, I cut him some slack.

Starters

Chilled Sweet Corn Soup with Lone Palmetto Chèvre, Vadouvan Spiced Popcorn from Anson Mills, Shaved Courgettes

Wood Fired Clams, Riverdog Rye Broth, Surry Sausage, Roasted Corn and Red Peppers, Wilted Greens

We consider this, Wood Fired Bone Marrow with Asian Pear Mostarda and Grilled Bread but the BF thought it was too much to order the marrow and then a steak. The soup (yes, more soup for me) was amazing. It was creamy, yet not too heavy. The squash and zucchini added a really fresh taste to the soup and the vadouvan spiced popcorn really made the dish for me. The clams were good, but I really enjoyed the sausage and greens more. For me, the best part is always using the bread to soak up the broth.

Mains

Heritage Pork from Adam Musick, Smoky Beans, Carolina Gold Rice, Collard Greens, Pot Likker

TX Wagyu Flat Iron with Ember Roasted Oyster Mushrooms, Loaded Baked Potato "Salad", NC Heirloom Tomato

A Skillet of Cornbread with Allan Benton's TN Bacon

The pork was a duo, pork shoulder wrapped around pork belly. The beans were butter beans and mixed with the rice and greens, which I wasn't expecting. I usually don't like butter beans, but this was really great. There was an acidity to the pot likker that went really well with the creamy texture of the beans. The steak dish was solid, but what made it stand out was the sauce that had Worcestershire sauce. Probably nothing you couldn't do at home. The loaded baked potato salad was new potatoes, bacon, scallion, cheese in sour cream/mayo dressing. I am going to start making potato salad like this at home. The tomato was elevated in tomatoey-ness (so not a word...) with a tomato vinaigrette. Cornbread was not necessary, but we ordered it anyway. The crispy outside made it better eaten when it was served, but I enjoyed a leftover piece for breakfast.

Dessert

They said it was chocolate pudding, but the consistency was more like mousse. Topped with marshmallow fluff that had been toasted with a torch. I'm not usually much for desserts, but enjoyed this.

Drinks

Charleston Light Dragoon's Punch

Recipe from Charleston Preservation Society. California brandy, Jamaican rum, peach brandy, Black tea, lemon juice, raw sugar.

Barrel-Aged Manhattan

he classic, enriched with new American Oak. Our seasonal take on the Manhattan with bourbon, rye whisky, and flavored bitters. Barrel aged for 30 days.

The punch was a bit sweet for me and I don't usually drink rum, but the BF really liked it. The barrel-aged Manhattan was excellent. If you're into that kind of drink, I'd say it's a must.

Hominy Grill

Breakfast

Blackberry Honeysuckle Collins - pureed blackberries, honeysuckle vodka and a splash of ginger ale. Really refreshing. Probably dangerous because it didn't taste too alcoholic.

Country Breakfast - Two eggs, grits, biscuit and bacon. It wasn't Benton's, but it was really good, thick-cut bacon.

Big Nasty - A fried chicken breast on a biscuit with gravy and cheese. Probably a bit much considering everything we'd eaten over the past 3-4 days, but I couldn't resist. And it was totally worth it. The gravy was a little bit too peppery (green pepper, not the seasoning) for me, but still really good.

• Like 2

Heading to Charleston with a 1 year old and while all of the places recommended here sound great, I am wondering which ones are family friendly. Ninety percent of the time my son is very well behaved and an adventurous eater. However, like most toddlers he doesn't yet know what an inside voice is, so we are not planning to go anywhere too fancy with him. I am told that Husk, The Wreck, and Bowen's Oyster House are good bets (thanks DR friends via Facebook). What else? This is my first real vacation in a long time, and after 10 months on a strict elimination diet I am ready to EAT!

Funny, I just looked up this thread to ask about places since we are considering heading down for the half-marathon this year as well.

I have a more general question, though: if we wanted to stay somewhere centrally located and walk or short cab ride from the beter (and diverse) places to eat and drink, what is the best option? With the number of folks we may be travelling with I am thinking that we may want to rent a house, so proximity to to hotels isn't necessarily a must. Trying to decide on staying downtown vs. a short drive away in a REALLY big house.

Funny, I just looked up this thread to ask about places since we are considering heading down for the half-marathon this year as well.

I have a more general question, though: if we wanted to stay somewhere centrally located and walk or short cab ride from the beter (and diverse) places to eat and drink, what is the best option? With the number of folks we may be travelling with I am thinking that we may want to rent a house, so proximity to to hotels isn't necessarily a must. Trying to decide on staying downtown vs. a short drive away in a REALLY big house.

For a race, I highly recommend renting a house (or a condo).  It is so much easier to have a kitchen and prepare your own pre-race meal (restaurants in town will be swamped with hungry runners), and if you are traveling with a group of friends, a house offers you some common space to chill and socialize that you will not have in most hotels.

Of course, the rental houses are going to be away from downtown, but Charleston isn't that big.  I love Folly Beach and Sullivan's Island (go to Poe's for burgers and beers), and Isle of Palms is great if you are looking at a higher budget.

For a race, I highly recommend renting a house (or a condo).  It is so much easier to have a kitchen and prepare your own pre-race meal (restaurants in town will be swamped with hungry runners), and if you are traveling with a group of friends, a house offers you some common space to chill and socialize that you will not have in most hotels.

Of course, the rental houses are going to be away from downtown, but Charleston isn't that big.  I love Folly Beach and Sullivan's Island (go to Poe's for burgers and beers), and Isle of Palms is great if you are looking at a higher budget.

We always do big houses if there is a large enough group going, and there are some places we did find downtown (not as big as the places in Isle of Palms, etc., but big enough for who we think will want to fly in).  Usually we do big meals at a house with this group, but it's coming up on a milestone birthday for me so I may want to forgo any responsibility and just eat out a lot.  The race is really just an excuse for some runners to visit Charleston and gorge ourselves :)

• Like 1

Turns out it's Restaurant Week that weekend (1/12-19) :(

FIG and HUSK can't accommodate a party our size on a Saturday, so we are tentatively booked at Fish; any reports?  The menu doesn't look very inspiring, I'll keep poking around.  At this point I'm seriously considering staying an extra day to eat around on Monday!

We did a Thanksgiving week at Kiawah, and thus had a chance to venture into Charleston for a few nice meals. The first of these was at McCrady's. This was my 5th time there over the last 5 years, but first time for my wife, so it was interesting to get both impressions. Quite simply, we both loved it. We ordered a la carte, and had smooth, unrushed, informative, and fun service, beautifully prepared dishes, and very, very flavorful courses. We did corkage ($25/bottle, I believe, and a free bottle of corkage for each bottle ordered from their menu). For some strange reason, every time I go to McCrady's I expect that it will have fallen down--it's been open too long, or Sean Brock has spread himself too thin, or something) but there was no evidence of that.

We also had dinner at FIG, and while I had high expectations, I was a bit underwhelmed. It was undeniably good, but nothing in my meal rose to the level of greatness that I had anticipated based on reviews and word of mouth. It may have been me; I'd been golfing in the cold weather all day and was tired, and that certainly impacted my perception of the restaurant, but nonetheless I still felt that the food was a bit flat.

We also took my fairly food-conservative dad and uncle to Rosebank Farms Cafe on Seabrook Island for lunch. This is also a regular spot for me, and it was as good as always. The fried chicken, in a phrase, kicks ass.

Much to my chagrin, I got to do very little actual eating in Charleston last weekend. :( The highlight was the post-race cocktails and nosh at the Thoroughbred Club in the Charleston Place Hotel. Gorgeous old hotel bar with a great cocktail list. I had the Velvet Vesper -- Tanqueray 10, Tito's Vodka, Cocchi Americano Dry Vermouth, cardamom liqueur, and an orange twist -- which was very smooth and well-balanced. Lamb naan with arugula, black olives, tomato salad, and feta; and pork/shiitake potstickers were delicious; the crabcake over a corn/bacon relish was bland.

We, too, were only able to hit a few places down there over the long weekend.  The highlight for us was certainly The Ordinary (same folks as F.I.G.).  We only did cocktails and apps there, but everybody in our group was talking about the marinated razor clams (apple, jalapeno, cilantro, and I'm pretty sure yuzu in there somewhere) from the extensive raw bar selection.  Oysters were fresh as well, but the selection was limited.  Cocktails were quite good in general, and the space is incredible (old bank building with soaring ceilings).  The late dinner that followed at Fish was decent, but with Restaurant Week my expectations were low, and the place turns into a night club after 11:00 or so. We were kind of rushed out of there by the thumping bass.

I was flying solo my last night there, and the hotel was right across the street from HUSK.  I was hoping just to eat off the bar menu, but it was much more limited in scope than I'd anticipated (literally a handful of bar snacks and a burger).  I stuck to cocktails and a snack of pulled pork hush puppies.  The former were great.  The latter are the 'maple-roasted brussel sprouts' of the Charleston dining scene, they were on seemingly every menu in town.  Perfect for something to soak up a couple cocktails, though.  Afterwards I walked over to F.I.G. where there were a couple spots at the bar.  Echoing the above review everything I had was very good, but I was not blown away.  They had a different preparation of the razor clams (fennel, golden raisins, pine nuts) that I enjoyed but did not live up to the preparation at The Ordinary.

One surprise down there was the local beer scene.  The group I was with had planned a surprise brewery tour for me that was complicated by the fact that A) none of them are open on Sundays, and B) the top choice and probably the most hyped one down there (Coast) was boxed in by the marathon route and had to alter their hours on Saturday.   We ended up at Westbrook, a huge purpose-built facility you can see from the highway that I hadn't heard of.  They had a limited but pretty wide selection of styles on tap, including a rye pale ale (One Claw, available year round), a doughnut imperial stout (the maple-roasted-brussel-sprout of the brewing scene) and a Gose (!).  The latter was pretty spot on; completely funky with a wicked lemon tartness; even better was Gozu, the same recipe finished with yuzu which mellowed everything out to just the right degree.  I got this on tap wherever I spotted it around town.  We had planned on hitting Holy City, but never got around to it.

So it turns out a conference weekend coinciding with the Food and Wine Festival is NOT a great time to try to get into the heavy hitters in town without waaaaay advance reservations.  So we had to "make do" with some other restaurants and had quite a few truly lovely meals anyway.

Coast "“ LOVE the space and laid-back vibe in an old factory (down an alleyway) and terrific seafood dishes.  They have all the classic fried and grilled Southern-style preparations (and do an excellent fried shrimp) but also have less-rich, more modern options, like a selection of ceviche and tacos.  I had a large piece of perfectly grilled grouper flanked by a black bean concoction and a potato croquette.  It was too big to finish but I managed all the fish (w/ help), as it would have been a shame to leave a single speck behind.  I thought the BBQ sauce on the bacon-wrapped scallops was a bit much, but my husband thought they were great (probably because I'm not overly fond of BBQ sauce in the first place).  The service was friendly and efficient service and we tried to go back later in the weekend but it was too packed.

Cru Café "“ my favorite meal of the trip.  It's a charming, light-filled setup in a historic(-looking?) house with beautiful, wonderful, comfort food. I had a several assorted lunch dishes that didn't really gel as a meal but were just what I wanted.  I got to sit at the bar overlooking the kitchen and saw that I would have happily eaten just about every dish that went out.  My duck confit salad (arugula, caramelized pecans, tomato, fried onion and port wine vinaigrette) was balanced and rich and tart and pretty all at the same time.  I had a smoky chicken tortilla soup that was deeply flavored and earthy, but I skimped on that course to try to do justice to the 4-cheese side of mac. It's heavy and decadent, baked just for you and way too large a portion for one person (hence, a side), but totally worth the indulgence.  The other salads and sandwiches looked truly excellent and I wished that we had time to get back and try more things!

Jestine's Kitchen "“ We picked this spot because I'd been before and they had availability on a Friday night, which slightly damning, but my husband wanted more fried so it was actually a good place for us to be.  The shrimp was just fine (smallish portion) but the fried chicken is quite good (and huge! Two drumsticks and a breast - crispy, craggy, salty outside and juicy interiors).  The green beans are reminiscent of school lunch (not in a good way, and I love me some cooked-to-death green beans) but the pickle starter is refreshing, the pies are homey, and the service is warm and sweet.

Hominy Grill "“ We popped in for brunch and had a lazy meal in the garden.  I had wanted to get the nasty biscuit but, because we take care of each other here (thanks for posting about the green peppery gravy, d-harp!) I knew the gravy would be ruined for me.  I had instead some lovely, surprisingly light salmon cakes with poached eggs (the tomato-based sauce was a very good, if surprising accompaniment, but at this point in the trip I welcomed any delicious lightness I could find!).  He had some she-crab soup, a few biscuits, and some pecan pie, and was in heaven the whole time.

Monza Pizza "“ The interior is snazzy but cozy, with zebra wood tables and exposed brick walls.  Our pizzas were tasty and a nice change from all the richness, but I think we're spoiled for Neopolitan greatness.  The generous toppings weighed down the pizza somewhat and the dough didn't quite have that rippable pliability that I look for.  Also, I didn't care for my bread soup (way too smoky, too much bread, not enough veg).  Still, the server was an absolute angel for our difficult party (5! Arriving and leaving at different times!  Eating just dessert or drinking! Argh.) and the tiramisu and coffee were divine, so we had a nice time.  It's worth a stop for ordering simply and hanging with friends.

Butcher and Bee "“ It's a strange, out of the way location with fabulous food, as evidenced by the line at opening.  My chicken curry salad was a tiny bit spicy, served on a bed of greens with some quick Asian pickles on the side, and was just the antidote I needed after the weekend of creamy fried things.  I got the lamb pita, the lamb biscuit, and roast beef sandwiches to go, and all held up beautifully as we scarfed them throughout the day.  The sandwiches are robustly flavored, filled with top-notch ingredients, and all have distinct characters. I would say this place is a must go.  I wish we'd had the chance to try it out for late night on the weekend or Thursday night!  It's slightly annoying that they don't have a set menu (it's changes every day and is posted onto Facebook daily, I think) but I understand why they are confident that you will find something you like.

As for non-food attractions, Fort Sumter is really easy to access from downtown, and the boat ride to and from the fort affords great views of the bridge and the city (plus, if you're lucky, the dolphins will come and play).  It's a fun activity for history or photography buffs that isn't as popularly discussed as the usual suspects in town.

Just back from a short week in Charleston.  Had some great food, really love this town for hospitality.

Husk - dining solo, didn't have reservations - opted for the Bar at Husk, which is next door to Husk. Had the cheeseburger.  Wonderful. Thought about it so often during my meetings that I had to go back for another the last night. It has been getting some pretty decent reviews lately. Bartenders are great, bourbon selection was quite nice.

Poogan's Porch - had first brunch here. It was fairly quiet at 10 am, but they were much busier later.  I had the chicken and waffles, and the husband had an open faced oyster omelet thingy. Both were excellent (my first chicken/waffle experience, so I can't compare)

Magnolia's - second brunch (hey, his flight was leaving at 4, and he needed another meal).  I was too full to order much, but he really like the salmon special.  White table cloth kind of place, and we wandered in drenched (2 inches of rain in an hour at high tide, should have brought my waders, as the streets were flooded).  They didn't blink and took us right in.  Wasn't our original plan, but turned out very well.

Fig - second night dining alone - thought I would snag a bar seat, but they had a wait for that - there was one seat at the community table, so I was seated there right away. (6 top)  Had the schnitzel, which was yummy. The menu was unusual, local sourced, mostly seafood (hello, of course, Charleston), but I stick to meat mostly. This was a great option.

Cru Cafe - Dinner our first night, lunch (escaped the conference buffet since the hotel was so close)... Great double cut pork chop on night one, perfectly executed. My main regret was not getting the side of mac and cheese. I looked amazing when the table next to ours got it.  Went back for lunch and got a seat at the bar - the shrimp BLT was tasty. I'd go back for it. A tad messy, but worth it.

Fleet Reserve - on the water, busy, busy, not bad, not great.  Recommended by a couple at our hotel.  Just a quick lunch after our walking tour.  Can't say it would make the list again, there is so much good food in Charleston.

Eli's Table - dinner on Saturday - great service, good food...again, I'd try some of the other places discussed here (I need to get to Hominy Grill next time).  I had the shrimp and grits, which was quite good. Husband had some sort of shank (he can't resist shank).  My favorite shrimp and grits is in NOLA at Mr. B's, so I aways compare. This didn't have the spicy note (red eye gravy missing)...

Craftsman Taphouse - went with a good sized group of work colleagues.  Did not have reservations anywhere, because we were supposed to go to the Riverdogs baseball game but were rained out. Short walk from the hotel, amazing beer selection, really interesting bar food (upscale, locally sourced).  Everyone seemed happy with their selections, which is a pretty major accomplishment with this group.

I'm still thinking about that burger, btw.

• Like 1

One night, and one night only in Charleston. And we will arrive after driving 8 hours in the car with two panting dogs. Dropping the dogs at the hotel (have to stay across the river because it's the only available dog-friendly hotel). At any rate, we will be ready for a nice meal - although not a "get-dressed-up" after driving all day mean. Something that personifies Charleston would be fantastic.

So... what do you think? Magnolias? Mustard Seed?

Thanks all

One night, and one night only in Charleston. And we will arrive after driving 8 hours in the car with two panting dogs. Dropping the dogs at the hotel (have to stay across the river because it's the only available dog-friendly hotel). At any rate, we will be ready for a nice meal - although not a "get-dressed-up" after driving all day mean. Something that personifies Charleston would be fantastic.

So... what do you think? Magnolias? Mustard Seed?

Thanks all

I would try to do Husk, it's very casual you'd be fine not dressed up. Yes, the burger is good but they have more Charleston type dishes too.  Although Magnolia's is a tiny bit more formal and maybe more traditional Charleston- chicken livers, shrimp and grits type.  But I've never been to Mustard Seed.

You may not want to get back in the car and there are many choices to narrow down to just one, but I recommend Edmund's Oast.  http://edmundsoast.com/

We went there back in May a week or two after it first opened.  Really cool space both inside and out.  Excellent food.  Crazy huge list of draft beers.  Fun back story.

I didn't drive but don't think it was too far out from downtown.  If others have more time than one night to spend in CHS, you should definitely add this to the list.

We hit Leon's at the corner of King and I Saturday night and it was great. We showed up around 8 and had about a 20 minute wait, just long enough to down our pumpkin cider. The place is staffed better than I have seen in a long time, including a guy on the corner showing you where to park, and another at the other end of the block making sure you don't drive down either of the dead end streets. The good looking hipster staff only added to the atmosphere.

We started with the grilled oysters which were topped with parmesan and garlic. The oysters were great but there was a touch too much cheese for my taste.

Next were the fried clam wraps. These were the hit of the night. Wrapped in lettuce, topped with a spicy mayo, the clams were perfectly fried and the whole concoction was delicious. It's only two per order so next time I won't share.

Finally we each had two piece of fried chicken, dark meat. It was as perfect a fried chicken as I've had in a long time: crunchy skin with a hint of spice, juicy, succulent meat.

Two apps, two mains, and one pumpkin sider cost $45 before tip.

It's a bit off of the King Street beaten path but well worth searching out. This is not a quiet restaurant; next time I go down we will take the little ones with us without concern.

We hit Leon's at the corner of King and I Saturday night and it was great. ...It's a bit off of the King Street beaten path but well worth searching out. This is not a quiet restaurant; next time I go down we will take the little ones with us without concern.

We were in Charleston a few weeks ago and ate a meal at Leon's.  I agree with what you said:  It is a restaurant well worth searching out.  I will add one bizarre thing:  They apparently have only one desert. When we were there it was ice cream, and the flavor was (I think I am remembering this correctly) Toasted Black Sesame Seed Ice Cream.  There were four of us at the table and none of us were able to eat more than one bite of it.

While we were there we also ate at another place that was new to me, Xiao Bao Biscuit.  It was mentioned in the Nov '14 Bon Appétit, and they seemed to like it, so we went there for one meal. It was a very strange place.  They take no reservations"”in fact, the restaurant doesn't even have a phone.  It is in an old service station building. The menu lists eight "shared" dishes, and three "mains," plus rice.  The menu says "No Substitutions." For drinks they have a selection of beers, sake, wine, and cocktails.

We tried three dishes, and were very happy with two of them.  The Eggroll (which the menu describes as duck leg confit, fois gras mousse, cilantro, fermented ginger sauce) was just not my cup of tea.   The Dry Fried Beef (flank steak stir fried with snow pea, fresh cayenne chili, green beans, Sichuan pepper) was very good, as was the Okonomiyaki (cabbage pancake).

Xiao Bao Biscuit is not the sort of restaurant one normally visits when in Charleston, but it can be a nice stop for something a bit different.

Headed down to Charleston for a final trip before the baby arrives in August ( :o).  Spent Friday / Monday  in Charleston proper with two days out at Isle of Palms sandwiched in between.  Really enjoyed Isle of Palms as our aim was to sit on the beach all day and relax - we stayed at the Inn at Wild Dunes since we were only there for a few nights.  It was nice, with solid pool / beach options - though the food was outlandishly overpriced so we only ate breakfast there once (we had a 50 dollar credit) - you can do better with some of the options below:

Toast - My wife had visited Toast with a bunch of her girlfriends a few years back so as we stepped off the plane around 9am she asked that we make a beeline here.  Definitely on the touristy side, but I found the food to be good in a "low country diner" type way.  I enjoyed the "Eggs Meeting Street" - two poached eggs over crab cakes and fried green tomatoes - some advice, get the remoulade on the side.  I saw a nearby table order it and the food was positively swimming in the remoulade.  Getting it on the side allowed for a bit more balance.  My wife got their deluxe french toast which was a positively gigantic serving and was more like a bread pudding (in a delicious way).  Add in a bacon bloody mary and  a red eye coffee and it was a nice way to fortify ourselves for a long day of walking around the city.

The Ordinary - We debated on whether to try to get into FIG or to hit the Ordinary and in hindsight, I think we made the right choice.  Just a tremendous meal in a lovely old bank (we were upstairs which was definitely a bit quieter).  Started with some oysters on the half shell, broiled oysters with ramp butter and Parmesan (so good!!) and some oyster sliders - all of which were big hits.  The waitress also brought us a scallop ceviche with yuzu which I absolutely loved.   For our mains I had two of the best soft shell crabs I've ever had, lightly dressed so the sweetness of the crab jumped off the plate.  My wife enjoyed the house special (apparently they only have something like 14 orders of these each Friday) of baked stuffed lobster.  Nicely balanced with minimal "stuffing" so as to not overwhelm the lobster.  I was so full at that point that I can't remember what we had for dessert but I would wholeheartedly recommend a trip here if you're into well prepared, impeccably fresh seafood.

Poe's - First dinner out on Isle of Palms.  Quick drive from where we stayed and thought it was a perfect spot to sit outside and enjoy a nice burger.  Their beer selection was good - though they had a weird selection of "seasonals" that skewed towards the dark / heavy even in the beginning of summer.  Almost went back here a second night but decided against it.  I stuck with the burger which was giant and their house coleslaw (delicious).  My wife enjoyed the grilled shrimp tacos.

Mozzo Deli - I am admittedly a sucker for a good deli - and after our uninspiring first day breakfast at the hotel - so I decided to give bettyjoan's recommendation a try.  Very glad I did.  Picked up a breakfast sandwich for my wife and a bagel with lox, capers, onions and cream cheese for myself.  Both excellent.  Also picked up subs for lunch as we had a fridge in the room.  She (a native buffalo-ian) gave their buffalo chicken finger sub a hearty thumbs up and my fresh roast beef with horseradish cream, lettuce and tomato was excellent as well.  As mentioned in the thread - they have a variety of prepared salads etc that all looked appetizing.  Well worth the drive to Mt. Pleasant.

HUSK - Stopped here for lunch before another day of walking around Charleston - we were rewarded by a slightly less tourist bombarded establishment than I'd imagine at dinner.  Lunch was more casual than I'd anticipated with folks coming in wearing shorts which I thought was interesting.  We started with the crispy pork with peach honey mustard which was essentially what I'd imagine you'd get if you merged funnel cake and pork - it was pretty addictive.  Also had the pimento cheese spread with crostini which was delicious.  My wife enjoyed the burger - for something that has as much going on as this does - it really all works together well.  I had the glazed quail with napa cabbage - which while a small portion was perfect for lunch.  My wife couldn't resist one of their milkshakes which had vanilla iced cream, blueberry compote and a sprite like soda - also had a lot going on but somehow all worked together.  I'm glad we visited for lunch b/c I would imagine it's a bit of a mad house at dinner.

All in all a great trip - loved walking around the city and I genuinely loved the beach at isle of palms (the water was 75 degrees when we were there in late May).

On a recent visit to Charleston, SC, I visited several nice restaurants. The best of the group was a fairly new one, Cannon Green.  The restaurant has a very interesting décor (the inside of the restaurant includes a wall from an old Charleston house) and extremely good food.  They describe their food as "Mediterranean cuisine, supplemented with Lowcountry and regional farm producers' ingredients."

I hate to rave too much about a restaurant I have only visited one time, but I would rank this with the best restaurants in Charleston.   If you are going to be in Charleston you definitely should consider having a meal here.

Another restaurant I visited was Chez Nous.  This was briefly mentioned in a article about Charleston in the Post Food Section of Sept 27.   Our meal there was very good, but a bit below the Cannon Green one.

Headed to Charleston for the first time Jan 1-4 for some vacation.  Based on Tom's article and what I have seen here thinking of trying to get into FIG, The Ordinary, and Husk for our three nights (although the only reservation that is open right now is The Ordinary - I think our hotel may be able to pull some strings).  Good choices?  Should we make changes?

Headed to Charleston for the first time Jan 1-4 for some vacation.  Based on Tom's article and what I have seen here thinking of trying to get into FIG, The Ordinary, and Husk for our three nights (although the only reservation that is open right now is The Ordinary - I think our hotel may be able to pull some strings).  Good choices?  Should we make changes?

Those sound like three very good ones to me.  If you can't get into one of them, I'd recommenced replacing it with Cannon Green, which I mentioned above.

If you want to get out of downtown Charleston over to a beach area, as jandres374 noted, The Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan's Island is terrific.  The GM there is Jonathan Bentley, formerly of Rustico in Alexandria.  Check out their menu, and if appeals to you, I highly recommend it.  Then stop at Poe's for an after dinner beer-nice draft selection.

I see ITT that many folks have been to the Glass Onion in prior years -- can anyone vouch for their fried chicken on Tuesday nights?  We're trying to figure out whether it's worth squeezing in a quick, early dinner there before our 8 pm flight from CHS (not tonight, but soon).

In Charleston for work a couple of weeks ago, I ate way better than I did while there for the half-marathon in 2014. Post-run sweet potato pancakes with candied pecans and a side of bacon at Eli's Table, the caramel cake at High Cotton, and the pulled pork, collards, and smoked Gruyere/country ham mac-n-cheese that I grabbed for the plane were particular highlights. High Cotton was not my choice -- that was the location for the Board dinner -- but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the shrimp and grits on the set menu was. My Manhattan was also very good. And that cake; one of those wonderful ten-layer affairs, like a Smith Island cake. I'm still thinking about it. . .

Heading to Charleston in early April for my brother's wedding.  Getting in two days early to explore with a reservation one night at Husk.  Any must try's for the second night?

In terms of exploring the city, I plan on doing Fort Sumter by boat and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens.  Any other recs?

I just found out I'm going to be in Charleston for a dinner and a lunch next week (Wednesday and Thursday). I made a reservation for Husk for lunch on Thursday. Any suggestions for dinner Wednesday (someplace I'll be likely to get a reservation at this late date (or someplace I could likely walk in and sit at the bar))? I'm open to just about anything but barbecue.

After lunch on Thursday I'll have some time before my flight home. I'm thinking of just wandering around the historic area since I've never been to Charleston before, but if anyone has any recommendations for something low key to do I'd be interested. I'd also love suggestions for food to bring on the plane so I don't end up with a crappy airport dinner.

Thanks in advance!

Ugggggh. Change of plans. I'm really annoyed that work is getting in the way of my meals!

I was planning on Husk for lunch Thursday, but now I can't do that. Of course they have no reservation availability for dinner Wednesday. Does anyone have a sense of whether I could walk in as a party of one when they open for dinner on Wednesday or shortly thereafter? I don't mind sitting at the bar.

So if I do Husk for dinner Wednesday I can no longer do The Grocery, which is only open for dinner. (I only have one dinner and one lunch in town.) Does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere I can do a mid-afternoon lunch on Thursday or even an early dinner? I'd need someplace that stays open all afternoon. I basically have a window of 3pm-5pm for my second Charleston meal. Grrrrr. I'm flying out at 7:30pm Thursday.

Thanks!!

I got lucky as a solo walk in diner at Husk at lunch right at opening time, at least worth a shot at dinner. Husk's bar is located in a separate building next door - they serve some food there but I don't believe it's the full menu.

For your 3-5pm meal I'd highly recommend Leon's - it's a bit up King St but they serve all day and everything I had there, particularly the fried chicken, was excellent.

41 minutes ago, brian said:

I got lucky as a solo walk in diner at Husk at lunch right at opening time, at least worth a shot at dinner. Husk's bar is located in a separate building next door - they serve some food there but I don't believe it's the full menu.

For your 3-5pm meal I'd highly recommend Leon's - it's a bit up King St but they serve all day and everything I had there, particularly the fried chicken, was excellent.

Thank you for mentioning that about the bar at Husk. They don't say anything about food in the bar on their website, so I'll try for a table right when they open for dinner. Hopefully like you I'll get lucky! Presumably they save some spots for walk-ins.

Thanks also for the Leon's recommendation. That sounds like a good possibility. I'm not a huge fan of fried chicken (I like it well enough but don't get very excited about it), but I do like oysters cooked in various ways.

If anyone else has a recommendation for my 3pm-5pm slot on Thursdays I'm all eyes!

2 hours ago, dracisk said:

Thank you for mentioning that about the bar at Husk. They don't say anything about food in the bar on their website, so I'll try for a table right when they open for dinner. Hopefully like you I'll get lucky! Presumably they save some spots for walk-ins.

Thanks also for the Leon's recommendation. That sounds like a good possibility. I'm not a huge fan of fried chicken (I like it well enough but don't get very excited about it), but I do like oysters cooked in various ways.

If anyone else has a recommendation for my 3pm-5pm slot on Thursdays I'm all eyes!

For my solo meals my one time in Charleston last year, I thought Husk was fine but nothing special -- FIG was better.  And Martha Lou's was the best, and cheapest, meal I had -- but it requires a car.

8 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

For my solo meals my one time in Charleston last year, I thought Husk was fine but nothing special -- FIG was better.  And Martha Lou's was the best, and cheapest, meal I had -- but it requires a car.

Thank you! I'll have a car and will consider Martha Lou's for Thursday. It's actually not that far from where I'll be working.

Does anyone have any experience with Hominy Grill? They're also open all afternoon and could be a possibility for Thursday. Tom Sietsema seemed to like it in the 2015 article linked above.

On 3/20/2016 at 6:37 PM, Rieux said:

We loved the Grocery and Two Borough's Larder.  The former is more "southern", the latter more inventive/hipster

In rereading the recent posts in this thread I discovered that Two Boroughs Larder closed in July.