Charleston, SC

Olivia255

I go to Charleston at least once a year and was there last month.

I agree with the Anson's recommendation above. I would add the Hominy Grill for breakfast or lunch. Also, Magnolia's for dinner.

Another great rooftop bar is at the Meeting Street Inn. It has great views of the city.

Best wine bar city in America. Pretty much any place that mentions "wine" in the name has an eclectic selection, decent prices, and pretty good stems.

(Disclosure: the wines I import are featured in several of said bars).

Edit: to clarify.

Edited by jparrott

As it happens, we're in the vicinity right now (Isle of Palms). Had a really great dinner the other night at McCrady's downtown. Great value tasting menu at $65 and an excellent wine list. Definitely try the frog leg risotto.

Charleston Grill also comes highly recommended at the higher end. For more casual stuff, we enjoyed Jack's Cosmic Dogs in Mount Pleasant and Hyman's on Meeting St. for seafood. Up Hwy. 17, Gullah Cuisine is supposed to have the best dirty rice anywhere. Sticky Fingers and Melvin's are both OK for BBQ if you get the craving. And yes, it is f*cking steamy down here right now.

Magnolia's, as mentioned earlier, is another one that I've been to once and enjoyed. I recall having a bottle of MacRostie Chardonnay there which I liked and have bought around here from time to time.

From the current issue of Budget Travel magazine as mentioned in another thread: Suggestions from Frank Stitt, author/chef/owner of a few restaurants in the SE.

"An out of the way place for an oyster roast in the winter is Bowens Island, on James Island, outside of town. It's a cinder block shack overlooking the water on a bend in the river on the way to Folley Beach. They'll roast the oysterd, then shovel them onto these big wooden tables. If you're at all cool you know to bring your own oyster knife. 1870 Bowens Island Rd. 843-795-2757. In Mount Pleasant, on Shem Creek right across the river from Charleston, where the shrimp boats come in, there the Wreck, a hole in the wall. It's a reeeal dive. It's a little big sleazy and a little bit shady, and cheap, but you get shrimp that are right off the boat,either boiled or fried. 106 Haddrell St. 843-884-0052.

Two can't-miss options: for casual, Hominy Grill; for fancy, McCrady's.

Really, I've only had excellent meals in Charleston, although my dining companion was a little disappointed in his meal at Fleet Landing. (I had a fried green tomato BLT there and wasn't disappointed in the least.)

I've also enjoyed meals at Anson, SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), Charleston Grill, Sermat's Corner, and Blossom.

When we were there in May, our Big Fancy Meals were at Charleston Grill and McCrady's. The food was excellent at both, but CG is more stuffy/French, and McCrady's is more friendly/American. Had some kind of sea bass there with Asian vegetables and it was utterly delicious without being heavy at all.

If you're on foot, Hominy Grill is a little off the beaten path, but at brunch there I had the largest plate of French toast I'd ever seen, with a pecan butter to die for. Dee-lish, and I think it set me back $7.

Jael

Two can't-miss options: for casual, Hominy Grill; for fancy, McCrady's.

Really, I've only had excellent meals in Charleston, although my dining companion was a little disappointed in his meal at Fleet Landing. (I had a fried green tomato BLT there and wasn't disappointed in the least.)

I've also enjoyed meals at Anson, SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), Charleston Grill, Sermat's Corner, and Blossom.

When we were there in May, our Big Fancy Meals were at Charleston Grill and McCrady's. The food was excellent at both, but CG is more stuffy/French, and McCrady's is more friendly/American. Had some kind of sea bass there with Asian vegetables and it was utterly delicious without being heavy at all.

If you're on foot, Hominy Grill is a little off the beaten path, but at brunch there I had the largest plate of French toast I'd ever seen, with a pecan butter to die for. Dee-lish, and I think it set me back $7.

Jael

I would second the McCrady's recommendation. Here's my report from last November:

I had one terrific and one very good meal in Charleston last month.

McCrady's--On a sleepy Sunday evening in mid November, just off an airplane, I ventured to McCrady's, hoping to check out its wine bar. The wine bar is closed on Sunday evenings, so I ended up eating at the bar in the main restaurant. The octopus salad ($12) was terrific, prepared with marinated mushrooms, fennel and a truffle vinagrette. I washed it down a glass of Steele Pinot Blanc 2002 ($10.75). I also had the Rack of Lamb ($34), herb marinated, with roast potatoes, cippolini onions, asparagus, and thyme jus. Lean, delicious, perfect. I enjoyed a glass of the Cotes du Rhone-Villages, Jaboulet 2001 ($9.50) with it. I was also offered a taste of the Judson Valley Foie Gras while there. Fantastic. The bartender also was nice enough to turn on the lights and let me see the wine bar side. She said that sometime this month they would be redecorating it.

I am going for the first time next month but based on research on eG and elsewhere I recommended Slightly North of Braod and McCready's to my boss earlier this year and he can't stop raving about the restaurants and my ability to find restaurants good restaurants anywhere.

We have reservations for McCready's and Peninsula Grill for our two dinners in September.

We are also going to be spending two nights at the Sactuary at Kiawah Island. Does any one have any experience there?

Well, my trip was indeed steamy, but we visited Charleston Grill where my friend, Andrea bartends. She had the "quintet" of chocolate for dessert, but only after a glorified crabcake, tuna tartare, and yellow tomato gazpacho. All delicious. We hit Penninsula Inn as well - had DELISHLISHLISHous beef tartare and oyster stew. We then hit Cyprus (owned by same people as Blossom and Magnolia) for duck gumbo. Yummmmm. We also visited Red Drum in Mount Pleasant where my other friend and Andrea's fiance, John works. Delicous Ceviche. I will say, the dining was outstanding. I would add to the "do not miss" list - Poe's on Sullivan's Island for burgers and beers. An excellent after-beach stop!

As a matter of fact, I forgot to post this when I returned from the trip.

Warning - this post does contain some criticism.

I just returned from my too short trip to Charleston and had some awfully good food, with one strange element. We started with reservations at Peninsula Grill and McCrady's but ended up swapping McCrady's for Magnolia's, after deciding that Peninsula and McCrady's together might be a little too "haute".

The food and room at Peninsula were great - it's been a few days and my memory is failing me, but everything we had was as excellent as I had expected. And the food at Magnolias - luscious shellfish and grits, one of the best fried chicken dinners I've ever had - is everything I fantasized that low-country cooking would be about.

But aside from the food, a memory that lingers from both is the fact that we were in and out in 90 minutes at both places. And we had appetizers, entrees and desserts at both with an extra course thrown in at Magnolia's. At both Peninsula, where the waiters were doing their best not to run through the dining room, and Magnolia's where the waiter with our entrees was standing behind the person clearing our appetizer plates we felt rushed, like they were trying to turn tables for restaurant week.

I don't want this to sound like a rant, because it isn't. The food at both was everything we'd hoped it would be and even the service was pleasant and efficient. But we tourists come for leisure and at places like this, our dinner is often our entertainment for the night. We don't come to Charleston for New York pre-theater service.

Beyond that - we did go to Jestine's for a properly leisurely lunch. The sweet tea, Mac and Cheese and fried green tomatoes are all out of this world Southern treats, even if the rest of the food was standard diner-grub.

And the surprise of the trip was our dinner at the Ocean Room at the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island. Dinner was part of our package and I was dreading it a little, with its jacket-required formality and expecting played-out country club cooking. But the cooking was more forward thinking than I had expected and, as this was the last night of our trip, the service and pacing was perfect. Although, after two days at this resort that was to be expected. This place did everything right from the second you pull up to the portico to the second you leave. Beautiful, luxurious, thoughtful.

Edited by bilrus

Just one lunch in Charleston tomorrow! Where to go??? Help! I've been to Hominy Grill and Charleston Grille so I wanna try something new. Thanks!

Schmancy or regular? Nice casual meals can be had at Sermet's (Sermat's?) Corner, on King. For fancier I seem to recall a lovely lunch at Blossom, with a delicious shrimp & grits and their signature Southern egg rolls.

Have a great lunch, and definitely report back!

Jael

[Note: I just consulted with my dining companion and neither of us is sure whether it was Blossom or Magnolia that was the scene of the lovely lunch. Well, you can't go wrong with either.]

Ended up going to Jestine's.  The fried chicken was dry and severely underseasoned.  A friend who lives in Charleston says they've gone downhill.  Quite a disappointment : (

Sorry about the tip. But then again, my meal was a mixed bag - some very good and some pretty average.

We were in SC in August and enjoyed Magnolia's in Charleston - very tasty shrimp with tasso gravy and grits. The other place we really enjoyed out by Kiawah was Rosebank Farms Cafe...definitely the best option in the area for mid-range dining. The fried chicken was awesome - boneless breasts that managed to stay very juicy, with a light and crispy crust. They don't take reservations for smaller groups, and filled up pretty quickly.

I just had a amazing dinner at The Mustard Seed on James Island (they have 2 other locations in the area). We started with a Fried green tomato and crabcake napoleon with a corn chutney on top-- a great mix of flavors and textures. My entree was pork tenderloin encrusted with walnuts with a raspberry cola reduction, served with sweet potatoes and a slaw made with cucumbers, greens, and a vinegar base. I wish I had room for dessert, I know it would have been amazing there. If you are visiting Charleston, definitely stop in for a visit.

Poogan's Porch and Hominy Grill: good food, tons of character

The Library: drinks only, for the view

82 Queen: drinks outside

Carolinas: good service, wine

St. John's Island Cafe for lunch

McCrady's: good food, plenty of locals, albeit this was a couple of years ago. On the same visit to McCrady's, someone shoved rice in my hand to throw in a receiving line at a bride and groom. Then, a second group of USC people asked me back to their house in town for gumbo. People were really nice. And I'm not even southern.

McCrady's has a new chef--Sean Brock, ex-Capital Grille (not the steak place) in Nashville and a real rising star. All my other praises of the place upthread apply (and they have a nice wine lounge as well). And summer shrimp are in season, so you HAVE to go to The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene in Mount Pleasant.

Going to Charleston for my first trip in July. Read the posts and there seems to be some favorites. Any new favorites over the past year?

I went in early May and had two great meals at Blossom and Poogan's Porch. Blossom has a nice outdoor patio (it was nice in May, but could be too hot in July) and I had a very good shrimp dish. I also enjoyed their sugar encrusted salmon. Poogan's atmosphere was a bit more staid, but I had what I thought was a very good grouper dish with steamed clams, apple, and i forget what else. There were tons of other places I would have loved to try (SNOB, Magnolia, etc.) but my fiancee and I were both quite happy with the two dinners we had.

Also, it's been said before, but I'll say it again. Hominy Grill for breakfast is a must. It's a little off the beaten path, but we walked there from the market area and it wasn't too bad of a walk.

McCrady's has a new chef--Sean Brock, ex-Capital Grille (not the steak place) in Nashville and a real rising star. All my other praises of the place upthread apply (and they have a nice wine lounge as well).

If I remember correctly from reading his posts on other sites Brock had been doing some pretty forward type cooking in Nashville. Is he doing that at McCrady's? It doesn't seem like it would fit there.

I hit the Peninsula Grill and FIG during my last visit, about 9 months ago, and would recommend both.

Peninsula Grill had an old-school clubby atmosphere, and the service was commensurately formal but not cold or stiff. The cuisine matched the vibe of the room -- killer martinis, large steaks and chops, and lots of chilled shellfish appetizers.

FIG was cozier, with a more adventureous yet still restrained menu. A good DC analogy is Cashion's (whereas the Peninsula Grill is more like the Capital Grille or Palm), with similarly styled adaptations of low-country comfort food.

Had a great trip to Charleston and wanted to give feedback about where we ended up eating. We ate lunch one day at Magnolia's, which was excellent, and one day at Jim and Nick's (BBQ). One dinner was at McGrady's and one was at Pennisula Grill. McGrady's was a truly excellent experience. While the food at Pennisula Grill was better, the service did not match the prices. Overall, great eats!

Spent the last several days in South Carolina, first at Kiawah Island and then in Charleston.

Kiawah Island

We stayed at The Sanctuary a truly lovely resort (attended a conference and then stayed a couple of days). Neither my husband nor I are golfers, but we really enjoyed the place. We ate at Jasmine Porch a couple of times. The setting was really beautiful and the servers exuded southern hospitality. The menu looked good (many low country specialties), but we found that the food (almost without exception) was underseasoned. Was this because of an inexperienced chef or a corporate kitchen that is trying to cater to a certain crowd, I don't know. Didn't try the "fine dining" restaurant, The Ocean Room.

Charleston

Read this thread before we headed down and on that basis, made reservations for dinner at Magnolia's and FIG. We heartily recommend Magnolia's. Had a great, leisurely mean with a terrific waiter who gave us the right amount of attention. He seemed to know the menu/ingredients backwards and forwards. Would go there again in a minute. FIG was only okay. Someone on this thread compared it to Cashion's. While the food was fairly good (and way better than Kiawah's Jasmine Porch), I'm just not sure they have their act together. It started with a fairly dim hostess and continued with only adequate servers. If only they were as good and knowledgeable as the serving staff at Cashion's (where whe often let them decide on our dishes). Instead we were taken care of by a couple of servers who could barely recite the specials (though they did mention the prices (always a good thing)). They were both quite pretty and maybe that is why they were hired (lord knows that it wasn't their attentiveness or knowledge of the menu). The jazz trio was quite good and the space very attractive - industrial retro, very different from anything else that I saw.

Breakfast at Hominy Grill is a must. Should have tried dinner there, as well. Reminded me a bit of Colorado Kitchen but without the attitude and with better management.

Spent the last several days in South Carolina, first at Kiawah Island and then in Charleston.

Kiawah Island

We stayed at The Sanctuary a truly lovely resort (attended a conference and then stayed a couple of days). Neither my husband nor I are golfers, but we really enjoyed the place. We ate at Jasmine Porch a couple of times. The setting was really beautiful and the servers exuded southern hospitality. The menu looked good (many low country specialties), but we found that the food (almost without exception) was underseasoned. Was this because of an inexperienced chef or a corporate kitchen that is trying to cater to a certain crowd, I don't know. Didn't try the "fine dining" restaurant, The Ocean Room.

Charleston

Read this thread before we headed down and on that basis, made reservations for dinner at Magnolia's and FIG. We heartily recommend Magnolia's. Had a great, leisurely mean with a terrific waiter who gave us the right amount of attention. He seemed to know the menu/ingredients backwards and forwards. Would go there again in a minute. FIG was only okay. Someone on this thread compared it to Cashion's. While the food was fairly good (and way better than Kiawah's Jasmine Porch), I'm just not sure they have their act together. It started with a fairly dim hostess and continued with only adequate servers. If only they were as good and knowledgeable as the serving staff at Cashion's (where whe often let them decide on our dishes). Instead we were taken care of by a couple of servers who could barely recite the specials (though they did mention the prices (always a good thing)). They were both quite pretty and maybe that is why they were hired (lord knows that it wasn't their attentiveness or knowledge of the menu). The jazz trio was quite good and the space very attractive - industrial retro, very different from anything else that I saw.

Breakfast at Hominy Grill is a must. Should have tried dinner there, as well. Reminded me a bit of Colorado Kitchen but without the attitude and with better management.

I had dinner at FIG a couple of weeks ago and found it to be very good. Service was adequate, but the steak tartare and sweetbreads were enough to get me to return.

Does anyone know of any great places to stay in Charleston? I am thinking more along the lines of Inns and Boutique Hotels rather than a chain. Thanks!

Try some of the B&Bs in the Battery area, all within walking distance of great restaurants. We have enjoyed:

Palmer House

Battery Carriage House

Also, a bit farther north: Phoebe Pember House

We have lusted over, but not yet tried, Two Meeting Street Inn

Most of these places have websites you can check out.

Any recent recommendations, especially for good value? I'll be in Folly Beach for a week--certainly going to check out Hominy Grill and probably Poogan's; Magnolia's etc are probably a little out of our price range. Thanks!

I get to Charleston about 6x per year, and here are my favorites...

For a solo dinner in the historic district: sit at the bar at Blossom. The fried oysters over grits with peppers & tomato (there's usually a variation on the theme on the menu) are excellent. This has developed into a ritual for me.

For shrimp & grits: Fleet Landing, half block from Vendue St. pier. Its a lively scene, especially in season. I have also had their BLT -- fried green tomato, lettuce & bacon. They have a bar that's half inside & half out. The shrimp & grits are one of the stated inspirations for Indigo Landing's dish, although I've had both and they're quite different. (I like Fleet Landing's much better. Its got a kick to it.)

On Sullivan's Island: Poe's is a staple. I especially enjoy it during the off season. Sit by the fire. The food's decent, the beer's cold. They too have a bar that's half inside & half out.

McCrady's: Its mentioned a number of times here and rightfully so. For a high end meal, its the place to go in the historic area.

For breakfast on Isle of Palms: Sea Bisquit. Get there early.

For an authentic low country experience in Shem Creek (in Mt Pleasant): The Wreck. But you've gotta know where it is, 'cause there's no sign. I believe they're closed Monday lunch. While you're there, stop into Magwood's next door for some right-off-the-boat shrimp.

For sushi: Patriot's Point has a place in the first floor of a office bldg. It looks out at the bridge & across to Charleston. I can't recall the name. For sushi in Historic District: Tsunami is always crowded, but I've never been.

For rooftop views: head to the roof of the hotel across the street from the Customs House, on the corner opposite the market.

I've got Red Drum in Mt. Pleasant on my list of places to try. Have heard good things.

It has been a little more than a year since anyone has chimed in about Charleston. I am heading down in a couple of weeks and am wondering about a place for dinner. We are already planning on going to the Wreck one night, and depending on the weather we may head out to some of the seedier seafood places closer to the coast.

It has been a little more than a year since anyone has chimed in about Charleston. I am heading down in a couple of weeks and am wondering about a place for dinner. We are already planning on going to the Wreck one night, and depending on the weather we may head out to some of the seedier seafood places closer to the coast.
Steve,

Plotnicki has posted several times about McCrady's.

If you want to go upscale, it may be worth a look.

I think that you misread, I didn't see Krug Rose

That is interesting, because since I first looked at it the Rose selections have completely changed, they only had two offerings when I looked at it, and #11 was definately Krug Rose at the price I mentioned. Maybe someone else saw this mistake.

I am staying in a beach condo outside of Georgetown, SC...does anyone have any recommendations? Price really isn't an issue. Seafood and local fare are preferred.

Thanks

I used to work in Georgetown, but it's been several years since I spent any significant time there. But one very solid recommendation that I've posted on this board in the past is Kudzu Bakery, located on King St. in Georgetown, just off Front Street. They make the best pecan pie I've tasted, as well as great cakes and other fruit pies. They even have a small--but very nice--wine selection, better than the average wine store in that part of the country. I understand they've opened a second bakery in Litchfield Beach.

I understand that there are some pretty good restaurants in Pawley's Island. Frank's used to be quite good, but it's been awhile. The link provided by JPW will provide some pretty good recommendations, but you really can't go wrong with Kudzu. Whenever I'm down that way, I make a special trip to Georgetown, just for the pecan pie.

We'll be in Charleston for only a couple days next weekend. Sunday it will be my wife and me, so I alreay booked McCrady's. Saturday, though, will be with my sister, brother-in-law, and their squirmy 3 year old. Is there a casual and more moderately priced place that people would recommend? I've only been to Charleston once before and enjoyed Sticky Fingers. We could do that again or something else of the like. The noise of that place would help drown out some of lil' Jack's fussiness. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations.

Pax,

Brian

Brian,
I can tell you two places to avoid. Meritage, a strange wine bar/Tapas place on Bay, actually the Steak Tartar was quite good and cheap to boot, and nothing else was memorable. The other is A.W. Shucks, we just wanted a cold beer on a hot summer day and a little food to nosh on. The beer was cold and refreshing, but the food not so great.

On the other hand (and not in the least bit casual), Peninsula Grill is home of what is now my favorite lobster dish. On the Champagne Bar menu - available in the dining room as well - is a dish called "Lobster 3 Ways". I was expecting a plate with three different items, but what came out was more like a shallow bowl of soup. The 3 ways are; poached, a large ravioli, and a tempura claw. The poached meat was infused with the flavor of fresh basil, and cooked to the point of perfection. The ravioli was filled with a generous amount of lobster meat, and the tempura was light and crispy with little oil. The buttery and basil laden sauce brought this dish together and made it an absolute masterpiece.

I wish I could be as gushing about the entree of bourbon roasted shrimp, however, that dish was just plain boring. Even the lobster hushpuppies were boring. The shrimp were well cooked, but they did not have any real flavor, the accompanying hoppin' john added nothing to the dish, and its whites were not even visually appealing. On the other hand, my wife's rib eye was unbelievably good. Cooked perfectly, and served with delicious mashed potatoes that came with a huge Vidalia onion ring stuck in them (she would not let me try the ring but said that it was one of the best she has ever had). Wanting to avoid having two Bobby Flay Throw Down items on one trip (we knew we were going to Buz and Neds on the way home - but wish we hadn't), we tried to avoid the coconut cake, however, seeing a slice in person changed our minds. This made up for my boring shrimp.

We had planned to head to Hominy Grill for breakfast, but our room at the Planter's Inn came with breakfast at the Peninsula Grill. So we made the unfortunate decision to eat at the hotel. I had figured that a restaurant with such a reputation would be able to put out a decent breakfast, I was wrong. The meal was not all bad, the grits, sausage, and bacon were fantastic, but my over-easy eggs came with hard yolk, the biscuit was right out of a package, and the corned beef hash had my wife wanting the canned stuff. On the upside the staff was incredibly charming, and the coffee was first rate. Next time we will opt to skip the hotel breakfast.

Dude! I am so jealous you are going to McCrady's. Have you seen the chef's blog? Its the best advertisement for any restaurant I've ever seen online. Look at it for two seconds and you'll get worked up about your meal. http://seanbrock.wordpress.com/ The meal he prepared for the chuckeats.com guy looks great.

I may go for my birthday if I can book an affordable flight.