Dining in San Francisco

I haven't been to Ray's for a couple of months, but this post hit a sweet spot for me. I'll be in San Francisco next week and one of my all-time fave sandwiches is the tri-tip from Buckhorn Grill, which compares to a Philly Cheesesteak like Toro at Sushi Taro compares to Chicken of the Sea....

OMG:

Prior to having a steak sandwich at HellBurger I hadn't seen or had a steak sandwich in decades.  It has to be decades:

A Buckhorn steak sandwich:

post-9660-0-32342700-1456247800_thumb.jp

Now I recall where I probably first had them:  My mom would prepare a london broil; steak sliced thin (but not nearly shaven) against the grain.  Leftovers would turn into steak sandwiches on something like a kaiser roll.   Used to see them and have them commercially...but I imagine its been ages. Hmmm... Buckhorn Grill:   gotta store that away for a visit to the Bay area.  (above version stored au jus--looks nice)   The hellburger version were cut into tips; not sliced as is probably more common.

Buckhorn Grill is a chain, but a decent one if you're craving some meat. We got a round of the tri-tip and were pretty satisfied (quite tender, cooked correctly). Again, it's a good place to take hungry, somewhat picky guys. They have a takeout line as well, which is nice for packing out a big dinner.

Buckhorn Grill is not just in in San Francisco (though it does have 3 locations there, and two in NYC)! It's all over northern California and I was at the Sacramento location a few weeks ago. Yes, it is a good place for tri-tip; I've been less enthused about the other meats.

You guys, tri-tip is everywhere in California. I hadn't heard of it until I started traveling out here but it's a fairly popular cut of meat all over the state. Santa Maria  tri-tip is a Thing so it's particularly prevalent along the central coast, but I've seen steak sandwiches pretty much everywhere in CA. They're usually my go-to if I'm at some random deli or bar and grill and don't want a sandwich with avocados on it. The best place I've been for a tri-tip smackdown so far is San Luis Obispo. They are pretty serious about their steak sandwiches in that town!!!

Golden Gate Bakery has limited selection of items, but you're there for the fresh egg tarts anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. Their hours seem to be spotty "“ online reviews note that they are prone to closing on a whim (using the same "we're on vacation" sign for years) for hours a day or days at a time. I experienced this myself, when we went by during a weekday time they should have been open according to posted hours, but it was shuttered and dark. (Never mind "“ I found this website. No idea if it is accurate, but obviously the odd hours are not only in the collective imagination.)  When they are open, there can be a short to long line (saw both tourists and locals) and they all want the egg tart. I got a few straight out the oven (I hear they bake the tarts constantly while open, so the chances of getting a warm-hot one seems high, and I believe they are intended to be served at least warm). Now, I'm not actually a fan of this type of custard tart, but even I concede that they are quite lovely, with a light and flaky crust and creamy custard that is delicate in both texture and flavor (not overly sweet). Note that they are a little difficult to eat when hot - too delicate! The folks in my party who like egg tarts thought they were great but agreed that the texture differed from expectations. If you are a fan of the denser, more heavily flavored tarts (like Portuguese egg tarts) you might still like these, but be warned that they are a different style.

Delicious Dim Sum is a to-go place where they have rotating selection of classic dim sum, and unless you eat it right out on the street or a nearby park, your food will be cold by the time you dig in. If you're nearby and want to grab some cheap dumplings, this is great street food, essentially.

Dol Ho is tiny and grungy dim sum spot, staffed and frequented by older, cranky Chinese people, and there aren't any instructions about what will happen. We felt like we were back in China! They will get you a menu, off which you can order, if you ask for it. Occasionally they will bring a cart out from the kitchen and serve random dim sum. The counter by the front holds deep-fried, room temperature things, which you have to go ask for as well. Everything we had was quite good, but it felt effortful because we were less in the know about operations and this after having read a bunch of reviews and knowing what to expect!!! Still, this is a real deal authentic corner shop dim sum experience

Bund Shanghai has pretty decent food, but everything was just a shade greasier than I prefer. The simple house noodles with pork actually had perfect texture and the sauce had a great savory flavor "“ just too much oil. The XLB were quite good (and were the only non-greasy dish we got), the sheng jian bao were pretty good, and the sautéed eggplant was delicious, but that latter two dishes were both oilier than needed.

Z&Y Restaurant has great Szechuan, reflecting its 2015 and 2016 Michelin Bib Gourmand status. We tried a bunch of typical dishes "“ cumin beef, fried chicken, water-cooked chili fish, dry-fried green beans, and, to give our taste buds a rest, the Shangdong beef roll (pancake with beef). All were very good, with the fish, green beans and, surprisingly, the beef roll verging into excellent. Flavors were spot on "“ fiery when needed while still being flavorful. I'm sure if you want to blow your top off they will oblige, but I prefer cooking where heat and other flavors are in balance. It's more nicely decorated than a random Chinese joint, and the service is quite a few notches better as well. According to reviews it's usually busy, so there are often waits, and if you have a small party at a larger table you might be asked to share space (heh, a group of student-looking Asian guys had to eat with our baby!). We saw several tables order non-Szechuan food and it all looked nice, but we were puzzled given the restaurant's specialty.

Dol Ho is tiny and grungy dim sum spot, staffed and frequented by older, cranky Chinese people, and there aren't any instructions about what will happen. We felt like we were back in China! They will get you a menu, off which you can order, if you ask for it. Occasionally they will bring a cart out from the kitchen and serve random dim sum. The counter by the front holds deep-fried, room temperature things, which you have to go ask for as well. Everything we had was quite good, but it felt effortful because we were less in the know about operations and this after having read a bunch of reviews and knowing what to expect!!! Still, this is a real deal authentic corner shop dim sum experience

I went to Dol Ho a few years ago (2011?) A friend of a friend who grew up in San Francisco's Chinatown recommended it as a dim sum place where my friend and I would be the only white people in the place (thus it was supposedly authentic). Yep, we were. We went at an off hour, so it wasn't crowded. Given the passage of time, I don't remember much, but I do remember some other tables of older Chinese people. I can't remember if they were cranky. :-) I think we had a menu and they brought a cart, like Sundae in the Park described.

I know nothing of San Jose, but hear it's a bit of a food wasteland.  We need to find a nice place for about 10-15 people for a work event, ideally with a private room but that's not necessary.  We'll take what we can get, but the target here would be a fairly high end restaurant that can cater to a wide variety of tastes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

I hope you have a car. If so, go to Sushi Sam's in San Mateo, and have Sam make you a Sushi Omakase (give him a dollar amount to work with, say, $70 - it's not considered gauche). Eric Ziebold used to drive down here from French Laundry on a regular basis - I've been twice, and it's better than any sushi in Washington, DC. Thank me when you get back. :)

Or, you can get a Palaak Paneer Pizza in Fremont.

• Like 1

Going to San Francisco at the end of June for a conference, and one day we want to spend in Sonoma County.

Looking for... 

1) One great Chinese meal, open to region - heard Terra Cotta Warrior was good
2) One great "SF" dinner, not over the top, but considered great for the area and not super $$$ - considering Zuni Cafe and State Board Provisions. Zuni I can't book until 30 days before. SBP I heard the lines can be tremendous. There are 930p reservations available, but I don't think we can handle eating that late.
3) A great burrito place for lunch - I know there are many - La Taqueria being most famous, any contrarian recommendations? 
4) Breakfast places - heard Plow is great and Zazie's.
5) Coffee - I had Philz a few years back, and it was the best coffee I ever had. Any other recs?
6) For Sonoma, will have dinner at Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa. Would like to get to Bear Republic. Not wine people, but any solid 1-2 recs for wineries, maybe something low key in Healdsburg? And a nice lunch option?

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:
Going to San Francisco at the end of June for a conference, and one day we want to spend in Sonoma County.

Looking for... 

2) One great "SF" dinner, not over the top, but considered great for the area and not super $$$ - considering Zuni Cafe and State Board Provisions. Zuni I can't book until 30 days before. SBP I heard the lines can be tremendous. There are 930p reservations available, but I don't think we can handle eating that late.
3) A great burrito place for lunch - I know there are many - La Taqueria being most famous, any contrarian recommendations? 
5) Coffee - I had Philz a few years back, and it was the best coffee I ever had. Any other recs?
6) For Sonoma, will have dinner at Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa. Would like to get to Bear Republic. Not wine people, but any solid 1-2 recs for wineries, maybe something low key in Healdsburg? And a nice lunch option?

For a SF dinner, I'd take a look at April Bloomfield's spot, Tosca Cafe. Great food and drinks served in a location that has an interesting history. It's been more than a year since I visited, but I enjoyed the entire experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Looking for... 

I asked my sister (who has lived in SF for a long time now), and she said...

Re: Chinese, if you want dim sum, go for Yank Sing or Hong Kong Lounge II.  If not, either Koi Palace (a bit outside the city) or Z&Y.  Re: burritos, Taqueria Cancun in the Mission is our favorite.  Re: breakfast, she recommends St. Francis Soda Fountain, and she said that Plow was definitely healthier fare but well-regarded.

She really loves Blue Bottle coffee, but frankly, I think just about any smaller/local place in SF is going to be great.

She is not a fan of either place you mentioned for great "SF" dinners, but to be fair, she and my chefly brother-in-law have eaten at all of SF's best restaurants, so the standards are pretty high.  She recommended considering Nopa - I have been as well, and it was great.

Hope that helps!  I'll be there Memorial Day weekend, so I'm looking forward to good eats as well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bettyjoan said:

I asked my sister (who has lived in SF for a long time now), and she said...

Re: Chinese, if you want dim sum, go for Yank Sing or Hong Kong Lounge II.  If not, either Koi Palace (a bit outside the city) or Z&Y.  Re: burritos, Taqueria Cancun in the Mission is our favorite.  Re: breakfast, she recommends St. Francis Soda Fountain, and she said that Plow was definitely healthier fare but well-regarded.

It wasn't Hong Kong Lounge, and it wasn't dim sum, but one evening I got delivery from R&G Lounge (in Chinatown), and it was *fantastic*.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:30 PM, bettyjoan said:

Re: Chinese, if you want dim sum, go for Yank Sing or Hong Kong Lounge II.  If not, either Koi Palace (a bit outside the city) or Z&Y.  

Really like both KP and Z&Y. Make sure to go to KP during a busy time, well before close.

On 5/13/2016 at 0:27 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Looking for... 

On my last trip I hit both Delfina and Pizzeria Delfina (Burlingame location) and was pleased by both. Low-key place with thoughtfully prepared, beautiful food in warm rooms with lots of wood and calm lighting. Either could be your great but not big deal SF dinner. At Delfina I got a nettle pasta, the classic chicken, and a side of snap peas and loved every bite (and all went extraordinarily well together as a meal). My pizza had very good crust and sauce but the guanciale wasn't fully rendered and I don't like soft, fatty pork very much (YMMV, I'm pretty sure it wasn't cooked incorrectly, just not to my taste). Note that this didn't stop me from enjoying the pizza and I liked it better as leftovers. The beet/farro salad was bright and the textures contrasted nicely. 

I also went to Bi-Rite for the first time during this trip, and I while I think it was worth the wait (in SO much wind!!), both to finally try it and for the ice cream itself, it's actually not my favorite salted caramel. It's a pretty darkly caramelized flavor, very intense, and doesn't have any crunchy bits in it, so for salted caramel I favor McConnells in Santa Barbara or Salt & Straw up in Portland.I liked the malted vanilla and coffee flavors better, (both have bits! Peanut brittle and milk chocolate pieces in the former and alfieri almonds and chocolate chips in the latter), but both were also very intense flavors. Great ice cream texture, though, creamy with lots of "tooth."

On 10/9/2015 at 7:57 PM, JimCo said:

But the main event of this particular trip was Coqueta.

The pork shoulder is why you have servers. The good ones stop from you ordering what sounds good and tell you to order what is good. Ours was unequivocal: order the pork shoulder. Thank god we did. It was dropped off by a runner, who quickly disappeared. As we stared at the pinkish strips of charred meat, it was obvious there had been an error. They had brought us the beef rib-eye. Mistakes happen, and we flagged down our server to alert him to the mistake. "Sorry," he said. "I should have mentioned that. The pork is 100% acorn fed, so the finished result looks a lot like beef." 

Humbled and hungry, I dug in. It was the best pork I've ever had. Rich, meaty, and smoky. It has now put me on a mission to find more 100% acorn fed pork. (Not acorn finished dammit, It's not the same!)

So if I can offer my own SF advice now. Go to Coqueta. Order the pork.

Went. Got the Pork. Loved it. Thanks for the rec! Well worth the $$! Rich without being fatty (see above about disliking soft, fatty meat) and lots of texture. This is dream pork for folks who like a hanger steak. The chile-honey sauce pairs very well with the meat. I also got the patatas bravas and the mushrooms, and both dishes were likewise excellent (the potatoes are adorable!). I had no trouble getting street parking or a seat around 1 PM on a weekday.

I got takeout from Athena Grill in Santa Clara, and their gyro meat is wonderful - springy, juicy, flavorful, and I couldn't finish the huge portion. 

By the way, if your hotel people tell you that there is little/no parking at the Santa Clara Convention Center so you'd best take the hotel shuttle, they are WRONG. It is a little difficult to find because it's a structure shared with the Hyatt Regency and TechMart, but there are 1,500 FREE spaces!! So unless the center is packed to the gills, you can probably find parking quite easily.

I've mentioned them before, but I've been back to La Petite Camille in Millbrae for a few pre-flight (SFO) meals recently and it's been consistently good for stir-fried noodles and crispy rolls. The room-temperature noodles have always been mushy (every time I accidentally order something with vermicelli I regret it and then remember), so avoid the fresh rolls and bun dishes. The simple stir-fried noodles, however, taste like Vietnamese pad thai (in a good way) and the noodles are always perfectly al dente. The Imperial rolls are served with lettuce, herbs, and pickles and are both refreshing and indulgent. From a practical standpoint, once you get turned around on El Camino Real back to the airport, there is a gas station on the right hand side on Millbrae Ave for topping off your rental car, and you can take the direct access ramp to the airport without really getting on the 101 (so no traffic stress). Plus leftovers travel easily and taste great warm/cold on the plane.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 6:03 PM, DonRocks said:

It wasn't Hong Kong Lounge, and it wasn't dim sum, but one evening I got delivery from R&G Lounge (in Chinatown), and it was *fantastic*.

A couple trips ago we tried to go to R&G but the wait was over an hour (early on a weeknight) and we had the kiddo with us so went elsewhere. Takeout/delivery sounds like the ticket!

On 5/16/2016 at 3:31 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

I also went to Bi-Rite for the first time during this trip, and I while I think it was worth the wait (in SO much wind!!), both to finally try it and for the ice cream itself, it's actually not my favorite salted caramel. It's a pretty darkly caramelized flavor, very intense, and doesn't have any crunchy bits in it, so for salted caramel I favor McConnells in Santa Barbara or Salt & Straw up in Portland.I liked the malted vanilla and coffee flavors better, (both have bits! Peanut brittle and milk chocolate pieces in the former and alfieri almonds and chocolate chips in the latter), but both were also very intense flavors. Great ice cream texture, though, creamy with lots of "tooth."

Funny - the reasons Bi-Rite's salted caramel is not your favorite are the reasons why it IS mine!  :D  I usually get two scoops, one of salted caramel and one of roasted banana (they go so well together).  Glad you got to try it - I think, in the 8 years my sister has lived in SF, there has only been one visit when we did not go get ice cream at Bi-Rite.  Though, I have also come to love Three Twins (favorite flavor: lemon cookie) and Humphrey Slocomb (favorite flavor: After School Special).

4 hours ago, bettyjoan said:

Funny - the reasons Bi-Rite's salted caramel is not your favorite are the reasons why it IS mine!  :D  I usually get two scoops, one of salted caramel and one of roasted banana (they go so well together).  Glad you got to try it - I think, in the 8 years my sister has lived in SF, there has only been one visit when we did not go get ice cream at Bi-Rite.  Though, I have also come to love Three Twins (favorite flavor: lemon cookie) and Humphrey Slocomb (favorite flavor: After School Special).

Surprise, surprise, tastes are individual! It's damn fine ice cream, just not my personal favorite of that particular flavor. It was interesting to find out, since I'd been reading about the salted caramel there for a long time and I generally lurrrrrrrve everything salted caramel. I liked the coffee the best of the flavors I tried - the intensity works very well there, plus it has crunchy stuff. Three Twins is also quite good and can be had in some grocery stores across CA (I live in SoCal and it's at Whole Foods). I'll have to keep an eye out for Humphrey Slocomb, thanks! 

• Like 1

After a grueling, seemingly endless day of travel, I made it even longer by picking up my checked bag, heading up to the Air Train at SFO, heading to the BART Station, taking it to 16th and Mission, and schlepping to one of the three outlets of Craftsman and Wolves, at 746 Valencia Street, where I'd be spending my next two hours.

IMG_2099.JPG

Craftsman and Wolves is the brainchild of William Werner, a 2016 James Beard Finalist for Outstanding Baker - and if this visit was indicative of the three outlets on a typical day, Werner deserves the award (he didn't win this year).

Never have I had a better breakfast item than The Rebel Within ($7.25), an innocuous-looking muffin which wasn't even all that big:

IMG_2100.JPG

Really? $7.25 for a *muffin*? Yes! And it was worth every penny and more - a beautifully textured muffin, made with Asiago, sausage, green onion, and, of course, The Rebel Within: a soft-cooked egg:

IMG_2103.JPG\

How good was this? Better than either I, or my photographs, can possibly tell you. So good that when I saw they were running out, I bought one to save for my friend who was meeting me later (they have to heat them up, and grab the container of mineral salt to serve with it). Sure, this was the best thing I had here all day - this was one of the tastiest, most delicious things I've ever eaten - but what followed were no weak siblings:

Stone ($7) of whipped coffee, coconut, Gianduja, and yuzu was atop their wonderful house-made granola, and beautifully plated on silver foil:

IMG_2101.JPG 

And it, too, contained a surprise on the inside:

IMG_2104.JPG

I thought I was familiar with all sorts of French desserts, but there is pretty obscure stuff up in Brittany (Bretagne). Many of us have had pastries that are similar to the Kouign Amann ($4.75 topped with fresh blueberries, and filled with house-made blueberry jam), but I don't think I've seen this exact dessert before - it's pronounced "Queen Aman," and is undoubtedly many hundreds of years old in etymology:

IMG_2105.JPG

You know, even a cut picture may not look like all that much:

IMG_2107.JPG

but this is an example of a camera being unable to capture texture, and the texture of this dessert was *perfect*. Just the right amount of chew, moisture, glaze, and it was just perfectly executed - the blueberries, as much as I can't believe I'm saying this, and as great as they were, were almost incidental.

In addition to a pot of Formosa Oolong Tea ($3.50), I also enjoyed a house-made Iced Tisane ($3) with strawberries, chamomile, spearmint, lavender, and possibly one-or-two other things (they lost me at "strawberries"):

IMG_2106.JPG

And finally, speaking of strawberries, which are just coming into season here, I'm not a squatter unless I pay my own way, so of course I was going to get some Strawberry Jam ($13) to go:

IMG_2108.JPG

Craftsman and Wolves is as good as any bakery I've been to in America. It deserved to be a finalist for the James Beard Award, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a perfectly legitimate choice as a winner. I can't vouch for the other two locations, but if you come here, order The Rebel Within, at all costs (get here early because they run out), and you've got my address so you can send me my thank-you note. :)

• Like 3

If in Sunnyvale and craving a quick, wonderful Middle Eastern lunch, get thee to Dish-n-Dash, which is basically my ideal of a fast-casual restaurant. They have a small but growing empire of quick-serve and sit down locations in the South and East Bay area; I only went to the fast-casual location in Sunnyvale (twice in two days). First you choose your base (starch or salad; we got fluffy rice and a generous pile of greens in the salad, but they also have wraps, rolls, pitas, and freekeh), which either comes with the edamame-corn salsa or more appropriate vegetables. Then add a protein or vegetarian main (We tried the beef, chicken, and lamb shawarma, plus the falafel, and all were excellent. The beef is the richest.), and add toppings for a small additional cost (the eggplant is fried or very oily grilled chunks!! delicious). Add sides if desired (you don't need them, as the main plates are generous and filling, but I tried and liked the babaghanouge, though the fava beans were boring). Finally, you can pick three sauces for any entree (the garlic yogurt is very mild, the chipotle tahini is a bit more assertive, and the mint walnut is mild but nice). Your choices can be customized to be gluten-free, vegan, or halal (all well-labeled on the menu). They have fresh juices and smoothies (mostly/all fruit, depending on what you pick, and tart and refreshing), and a few pastries available. There are a ton of people working the counter and kitchen and they move their considerable line as briskly as possible (though it helps to get there before noon to avoid the crowds!!). It's a simple place, but the food is fresh/bright/crunchy/rich/creamy as appropriate and that's really all one can ask. I'd probably eat here weekly if I lived nearby and never be sick of it. FWIW, this place is #100 of Yelp's top 100 of 2016 (we had no idea - found it though a work recommendation).

Had a pretty good time here!

I was solo in Oakland the first night and went to a late night Korean joint, Da Sung Sa. Had some legit spicy chicken wings and flavored soju. Oakland is supposedly the new Brooklyn, but I'd compare it to something out of a post apocalyptic novel, instead. In the morning, after having Blue Bottle Coffee, I walked on Telegraph Avenue and a mentally ill woman was yelling at birds and then threw a wine bottle at them. Shattered 15 feet away from me. Got to Temescal Alley neighborhood and had a good breakfast at Aunt Mary's Cafe. Eggs and awesome in house made sausage. Fantastic coffee. They do the no tipping thing, too.

Uber'd to the Mission after that to meet up with the crew. $28 from Oakland to SF, not bad at all. Lot of traffic because it was Pride weekend. Lots of naked people and what not. Met at Farolitos for a burrito. I know everyone has their favorites, but this was really really great. Had super carnitas. I liked that it wasn't cheese heavy, but wish they had spicier salsa. Could not finish more than half. Was less than $8. 

Took one of the worst city tours I've ever been on. He didn't know anything! He said that Whole Foods originated in SF and drove us past the "original". He said that the boat from the Brando movie, HMS Bounty, was in the marina and pointed to some tall boat. My co resident was crew on that point for a summer before medical school. The ship went down during Hurricane Sandy. People died. There was something else blatantly wrong, but whatever. 

We had a little trouble finding a dinner spot because reservations weren't made and we ended up at a cool Italian spot in Nob Hill by the hotel called Seven Hills. Not necessarily noteworthy, but it was tasty and everyone was happy. We went to the Top of The Mark for a drink. It was expensive.

Woke up the next morning and got coffee at Reveille in Chinatown. Sooo good. Almond crossaint was baller. Then, rented a car and went to Muir Woods. Redwoods are pretty. Continued on to Sonoma County, and had lunch at Basque Cafe. I had a roast pork sandwich on their house made sourdough bread and a Sonoma county Pinot Gris. We went to Little Family Vineyards (went with sister, 4 years ago). They do big reds- Zins and a Petite Syrah that was great. Headed to Kunde after that, which is a pretty yooge estate, not quite a mom and pop. There, we were deciding on what tasting to get, when a guy said that a tour group had canceled and they would comp us a 2 hour tour and premium tasting ($50 a person). Wade was every bit as amazing and educating as Steve from SF was absurd and grating. We got so much out of the tour, enjoyed the wine, and all got stuff shipped home. 

From there to Santa Rosa, because we wanted to go to Russian River Brewery. Pliny for real, bro. Hype is there, but it is a great beer (The Elder). I had Temptation, as well, a blonde sour. The favorite of a few was Consecration, a darker sour, with a 10% ABV. Great, great pizza. Went to Third Street Aleworks after that and had an unmemorable beer, and played Pac Man. 

Went to Parkview Cafe for a fantastic breakfast. I had eggs, pancakes. The star was the pork shoulder chili verde tostada. Damn. We drove back to SF.

Went to The Ferry Building and got more Blue Bottle, because duh. Walked all the way to Pier 39, and saw very few seals, because it was summer and breeding season blah blah. Had lunch at a place I won't name because it was embarrassing and not good and touristy, but we just wanted to look at the ships and sit down. Uber'd to take pictures of the Painted Ladies (Steve didn't even take us to see those.. I know there are better Victorians, but jeez). Then went back to the Ferry building and took a boat to Sausalito. We had ice cream. We had a beer overlooking the water. It was dreamy.

Came back to SF, and went to Z & Y for some Sichuan. Guess Barry O has been there. Waited about a half hour and got seated (had to share the table with this other couple). We got tan tan noodles (their spelling), explosive chili chicken, spicy dumplings, twice cooked pork, snow pea shoots, and darn one more thing. Can't remember. I liked it a lot, the dumplings were especially good. Went to Mikkeler's bar and had one of his IPAs. They have a ton of amazing stuff, spontaneous sours and what not, but damn we were tired.

Today, had a Banh mi at Saigon Sandwich. Cheap and amazing... 

Thanks for your thoughts. Only means I have to come back again to try the zillion other places.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2016 at 0:42 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Thanks for your thoughts. Only means I have to come back again to try the zillion other places.

First time I've checked in on the San Francisco thread, strangely - I lived there for three years before moving to DC, and a lot of your post reminded me of home. City (and its dining scene especially) is incredible. Hit me up before you go next time, and I'll put you in touch with some of my bar and restaurant people out there. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Cheers!

15 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Let's add:  Half- or whole chickens at upscale places that are not Zuni Cafe.

Just a quick note about Zuni Cafe ... I've been twice. The first time, about ten years ago, everything was good (the raw bar was great) *except* the chicken, which had the stuffing positively drenched with balsamic vinegar (imagine how off-putting that is). The second time, last year, the entire meal was a bust from start to finish - no chicken, but mediocre food and lousy service. 

I just this minute asked the person I was there with, and we're both in full agreement - in particular, I was reminded that the salad was swimming in dressing. The level of the food and service was lower than any of numerous restaurants in the DC area have *ever* been for me, even on their worst of nights. I have no doubt that this was an evening when they were operating with a skeleton crew, but there's just no excuse for this, ever.

Since I live here and have been living here for a little over a year now, I'll be posting on this thread regularly.

Every Friday we have dinner at either a "cheap" place or a not-so-cheap place.  By "we", I mean my hubby and I.

We went to one of our standbys this weekend.  It's a small restaurant with 7 tables total and a nice long bar.  We showed up at 6:25 pm and didn't get in until 7:30 pm, just to show you how crazy it can be.  Walk-ins only, no reservations accepted.

IMG_0329-001.JPG

Chilled artichoke, salad, lemon aioli

Perfect in every single way and the best appetizer on the (limited menu).

IMG_0331-001.JPG

Cioppino served with garlic bread.

This is a "small" size and enough for two people or one hearty eater.

Total bill came out to $35 per person with tax and 20% tip.

Anchor Oyster Bar
579 Castro Street (19th Street)
The Castro

http://anchoroysterbar.com/AOBmenuAug2015.pdf

• Like 2

I want to introduce you to a couple more places on our regular rotation.

First up is Izakaya Rintaro.  You can see the menu here:  http://izakayarintaro.com/wp-content/uploads/menu.pdf and the website here:  http://izakayarintaro.com/

12032715_1019573158093434_7812922825966118978_o.jpg

Yosedofu -- house-made silken tofu, with scallion, magurobushi and grated ginger.

Subtle, faintly sweet, creamy and something I order every time I go.

12028881_1019573408093409_3856987035637597826_o.jpg

Torikawa no kara-age -- fried chicken skin with spicy citrus salt.

Someone in the kitchen knows how to fry.  These were addictive and utterly greaseless, no easy feat.

11904748_1019573651426718_4586053499742970826_n.jpg

Chicken thigh + onion (or scallion) yakitori, served with shichimi tōgarashi.

12038837_1019574304759986_3773159023989834512_o.jpg

Chicken liver yakitori, with shichimi tōgarashi.

The skewers are good but not as great as their other offerings.

11999634_1019574954759921_5897496270773369029_o.jpg

Dashimaki tamago -- egg omelet with katsuobushi dashi and grated daikon radish.

Lovely and well-made.

11143717_1019574461426637_4175980177940858070_o.jpg

Kamo menchikatsu -- minced duck and onion katsu with panko, cabbage and hot mustard. The small pitcher contained katsu sauce.

This was the star of the evening on the night we went.  That picture doesn't look like much but it's deceptively filling.

11054784_1019575308093219_7225649212355343865_o.jpg

Natto-don -- fermented soybeans, Japanese rice, toasted nori, hot mustard.

This was "dessert" for me.  It was either that or order more of the tofu.

Izakaya Rintaro
82 14th Street (Folsom Street)
SoMa

• Like 3

The other is Ijji, a new (to us) sushi restaurant that is potentially the best sushi I've had in this country since my experience at Sushi Yasuda in New York when Yasuda-san was still present.

Very small space, about 10 total tables not including the bar.  Also a limited menu that changes often with fish flown in from Japan with the exception of some from Alaska and environs.

I won't bore you with a pic of everything we had at a dinner there two months ago, but here are some highlights:

13483124_1179389925445089_5725656073013257130_o.jpg

Asari clams, lotus root, sesame oil and shiso

13443095_1179390682111680_4271447727635385839_o.jpg

Wild sea bass, hijiki, yuzu vinaigrette.

13497656_1179391115444970_715156555631666604_o.jpg

Wild bonito.

13497835_1179392098778205_3072793870707609090_o.jpg

Barracuda sushi.

13442506_1179391465444935_4250425471247661944_o.jpg

Kelp-cured Japanese sea bream sushi.

Each piece is served with a topping that dispenses with the need for soy sauce.  Excellent balance of flavors in the rice.

Total for their omakase was $160 per person with 20% tax and tip.

Ijji
252 Divisadero Street (Haight Street)
Lower Haight

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

Once again, I just don't understand why places don't pay an English major $20 to proofread their menus:

"Much of Japanese dinning centers around the neighborhood restaurant. Often small, but always an intimate setting, where neighbors and friends gather together to not only eat, but enrich each other’s lives. ijji has replicated this dinning experience, on Divisadero. 
ijji is the culmination of our unwavering focus to the purity of the fish and the expression of our devotion to traditional Japanese techniques. This fidelity to our beliefs, is evident in every piece of nigiri we serve"

Brenda's is a restaurant that's popular with the weekend brunch crowd which mostly consists of millennials and tech folks.

It's also great for dinner -- a fact which we've been curious about for quite a while and only discovered last night.

IMG_0922-001.JPG

Chicken, okra and sausage gumbo.

Was a touch bland to my palate.  A shot of Tabasco perked it right up.

IMG_0926-001.JPG

BBQ ribs, collard greens.

The ribs were falling-off-the-bone perfect, with a smoky, sharp and slightly sweet sauce.  Greens were nice.

IMG_0928-001.JPG

Fried chicken, cream biscuit, collard greens, served with peaches and honey, and hot sauce.

Finger-lickin' good.

IMG_0931-001.JPG

Brenda's
652 Polk Street (Eddy Street)
Tenderloin

• Like 1

Then we went to Chez Panisse tonight for my birthday dinner.

IMG_0992-001.JPG

IMG_0993-001.JPG

Prosecco, Meyer lemon syrup.

IMG_0995-001.JPG

Halibut tartare, endive, mint.

IMG_0999-001.JPG

IMG_1002-001.JPG

Dungeness crab cake, julienned vegetable salad with preserved lemon vinaigrette, green coriander, rouille.

My hubby proclaimed it "the best crab cake I've ever eaten in my life".  High praise indeed.

IMG_1003-001.JPG

Squab brodo with ricotta and herb raviolini, black truffles.

Delicate broth, well-made pasta.  Rather miniaturized shavings of truffle though.

IMG_1006-001.JPG

Quail grilled with sage, served with kabocha squash, roasted chestnuts, new onions and Savoy cabbage.

I told the staff that "if you can taste the salt, it's too much". The quail was at fault, ditto for the vegetables. Salting is an art: you want just enough to bring out the flavor of whatever it is you're cooking. That's it.

In their defense, it could have been just this plate, but my hubby detected oversalting on his portion. Maybe our palates were at fault but I doubt it.

IMG_1011-002.JPG

Sauternes.

IMG_1013-001.JPG

Red wine-poached pear millefoglie, pomegranate, crème fraîche.

Millefoglie is the Italian spelling for "mille-feuille".

Was perfect.

IMG_1015-001.JPG

Lemon verbena infusion.

IMG_1016-001.JPG

Chocolate-covered peanuts, candied orange peel.

Apart from the quail, a perfect meal.  We'll definitely be back.

Chez Panisse
1517 Shattuck Avenue (Vine Street)
Berkeley

• Like 2

I know that there are good restaurants in San Francisco.  There have to be.

But last night's excursion was not it.

IMG_1952-001.JPG

Green salad.

Seems like there's too much dressing.  What do you think?

IMG_1953-001.JPG

Foie gras with persimmon mostarda, brioche, crispy shallots, Maldon sea salt.

The mostarda had no acidity and might as well have been a spoonful of sugar. The shallots lent nothing. Pretty average for $19.

IMG_1957-001.JPG

Coq au vin.

Probably the best thing we had all night. Generous portions, well-made. Correct. Can't say much more than that.

IMG_1960-001.JPG

Haricots verts.

These were served "tender crisp". Not a fan of vegetables served in that style, but B loved them so more for him.

I guess the restaurant is a good value for the live music and intimate quarters. But we had a waiter who just would not stop asking us "how are things". Once is fine. Four times in a night is grating.

And serving your guests drinks in cracked glassware is unacceptable.

Also, if you are FOH staff, we don't need your approval when we order things from the menu. Save that for your children.

Cafe Claude
7 Claude Lane (Bush Street)
Union Square

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, DonRocks said:

Sensational meal - on a whole, the best raw seafood I've ever eaten, and a restaurant experience unlike any other.

Lived in San Francisco for three years prior to moving to DC, my apartment a few short blocks from Swan's. Your recap brought back a ton of awesome memories of taking out-of-town friends here for an outstanding experience.

• Like 1

I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for nearly 25 years, and just this week tried my first "It's-It Ice Cream Sandwich. I am now kicking myself for waiting this long. These delectable desserts--ice cream sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies and dipped in dark chocolate--are readily available everywhere around here, and there is even an "It's-It" outlet in Suisun City, about a ten-minute drive from my house. If you are in the Bay Area, don't hesitate to pick up a box of "It's-It." If you love them, you can even have them shipped to you.

• Like 2

My 22-year-old daugther lives in the Mission area of San Francisco and adores macaroni and cheese. So, when the SF Chronicle did an article last week about The City's best spots for mac and cheese, I immediately thought of her. I asked her if she wanted to try one of the restaurants listed (she enthusiastically said yes) so we ventured last night to Mac Daddy in the Potrero Hill neighborhood of San Francisco. 

The restaurant's website refers to their "petite digs," and they aren't kidding. There is one counter, a couple of small outdoor tables and one table for four indoors. They do not take reservations. My daugther brought a friend, and we were told there would be a 20-minute wait for a party of three. We wrote our name and phone number on a dry-erase board hanging outside the front door. Fortunately, there is a quaint wine shop next door, where we enjoyed a glass of wine while we waited for our table. And by table, I mean THE table! We were seated at the table for four, where the girls had a great view of the goings-on in the kitchen (we felt like we were sitting in the kitchen) and I got to watch the endless parade of people pass by the window. Score!

The menu arrived, and we were overwhelmed with macaroni and cheese choices: smoked bacon and smoked cheese; south of the border mac with avocados, cilantro, chorizo and fritos; a pesto mac; braised short ribs mac with mushrooms, crispy onions and mt. tam blue cheese; and truffle brie mac with shitake mushrooms were just some of our options. Of course, there was plain old mac 'n' cheese, but the waiter said if we ordered that, we should add an extra on top, like an egg or fried chicken.

As good as fried chicken atop macaroni and cheese sounded to me, I just couldn't do it (primarily because I was feeling guilty about eating donuts for lunch the day before) so, I ordered the goat mac, with scallions, olive oil, fresh goat cheese and jack cheese. It was creamy and delicious, with a delightful crumble on top. The girls both had the truffle mac, which they enjoyed, but I preferred mine. The portions are generous, and can be shared by two, but then there are no leftovers, and what's the fun in that?

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 5

We went to Yank Sing today for a belated Chinese New Year celebration.

IMG_2231-001.JPG.ca4d7bbd0b5941e4c4a94d4a67ec51f6.JPG

BBQ pork buns.

IMG_2233-001.JPG.e15d55ca1720889d146f22e1dcb0c7cd.JPG

Soup dumplings, served with ginger shreds and red vinegar.

IMG_2234-001.JPG.48e3fccd22aed9d0689295917c712f36.JPG

Chicken-stuffed mushrooms.

IMG_2235-001.JPG.3e2e2ffabf0f2b07db3b53e54df1f721.JPG

Turnip cake.

IMG_2237-001.JPG.8319e3486c3fe54105161f82541657e6.JPG

Spareribs with sesame.

IMG_2238-001.JPG.bb2a1d346f046ad7359efa713a14d6f7.JPG

Shrimp dumplings.

IMG_2240-001.JPG.a1a7f8502c93c141c520d662fa4b28ff.JPG

Mushroom dumplings.

IMG_2241-001.JPG.18770c4940d31149f6e7a81e0bdaa215.JPG

Pea shoot dumplings.

IMG_2243-001.JPG.107ff1c4153c15425e158f7a8286f25e.JPG

Sea bass with rice wine and soy.

IMG_2244-001.JPG.a827a41b5a251216ccfebd0e2ff52ed5.JPG

Pork and shrimp siu mai.

IMG_2247-001.JPG.72a2e781d3ebf0b18510710383303d16.JPG

Fried shrimp.

IMG_2250-001.JPG.9ca00ceb0900947aeddc566741f9189a.JPG

Chicken feet.

IMG_2252-001.JPG.651a8619e1dee11503a9783105d3e429.JPG

String beans with dried shrimp and XO sauce.

IMG_2253-001.JPG.71ebe5840a96c56a0ce8f72dc85178c2.JPG

Egg custard tartlets.

IMG_2256-001.JPG.464d9eea43087cd1744c7a04d6a5cf5e.JPG

Orange jello.

$219 with tax and 20% tip for a party of four people.  Not bad at all, actually.  Very reasonable in my never humble opinion although others will probably disagree on that point.

Yank Sing
Rincon Center
101 Spear Street (Mission Street)
Financial District

• Like 1

16602064_1416570855060327_735253189454322799_o.jpg.f9d3991b51c89fcd17b05d3322853e05.jpg

Well well, I just discovered the photo editing options on this site.  I'll certainly be making use of those more often too.  It saves time because what typically happens is that I fiddle with the photos in Picasa before uploading them to DonRockwell.com.  I didn't know that I could shrink them on here and that's useful to know.

Oh, about the photo.  My partner (let's call him "B" for now, in the event you haven't been reading my posts and you might not know who he is) and I have date night once a week.  Lately, we've been exploring cheap eats in the City.  This is a dinner from last Friday at one of our favorite cheapie Chinese restaurants, Red Jade.  Pictured are some flash-fried soft-shell crabs with chili, garlic, scallions and cilantro.

In the background is a plate of beef with snow peas.  

Earlier this month, B took me to San Jalisco which will probably become my favorite Mexican place in SF.

16179840_1402637226453690_7876964099311172104_o.jpg.dcac08cdb49cc80fcb9eec8634674126.jpg

Carne asada.

Portions are huge for what they charge.

16252461_1402637229787023_3595273836561079622_o.jpg.b06e306514912c716471a01d34712133.jpg

Pozole.

First time I had it too.

Rich, porky with just the right amount of heat. Definitely would order it again.

16178363_1402637219787024_8434723785486444567_o.jpg.10b14312860248c8ace7b8fb90f15282.jpg

Relish plate for the pozole.

Clockwise from bottom: shredded cabbage, radishes, lime wedges; chile pepper; chopped onion; Mexican oregano.

Shortly afterwards, a waiter came by with a dish of tortillas, fresh from the oven.

16299606_1402637273120352_5178996958074885498_o.jpg.d1b4f2e9394b8c0487705f6ac3706fb4.jpg

Tres leches cake.

Desserts are not their strong suit and B suspects that they may be prepared at a Mexican bakery. This was the driest version I've ever had. I ate about half and that was enough for me.

San Jalisco
901 South Van Ness Avenue (20th Street)
Mission District

http://m.sanjalisco.com/home.html

14494747_1277020569015357_8172586179599195251_n.jpg.006cad31fdf9fd93ec935bd7b680df83.jpg

This menu shows part of what's ridiculous in the San Francisco food scene.

Admittedly, it's from a place in the Ferry Building which counts tourists as part of its income.  Even if you discount that, it's a bit much (for me).

14543813_1277291795654901_1433354693656780623_o.jpg.c14118cd703a5e3b66e40afbb8e6c66f.jpg

These are the "beignets" in mentioned in the pic above.  One batch of 8 for $10.  We wanted one but were told that was impossible.

1 hour ago, TrelayneNYC said:

16602064_1416570855060327_735253189454322799_o.jpg.f9d3991b51c89fcd17b05d3322853e05.jpg

Well well, I just discovered the photo editing options on this site.  I'll certainly be making use of those more often too.  It saves time because what typically happens is that I fiddle with the photos in Picasa before uploading them to DonRockwell.com.  I didn't know that I could shrink them on here and that's useful to know.

Ah! Yes, what you do after you upload them, is you double-click. I prefer to use thumbnails, and I generally take a 1-2 megabyte photo, and change one of the dimensions to 10% of what it currently is. That is, if it's 910 by 512, I change the 910 to 91, and the 512 will auto-adjust (there's a little box that's checked by default). For those who prefer not to use thumbnails, you can make the ratio larger - probably something closer to 80%, so you'd change 512 to about 400. This is important, and it won't make much sense until you try it yourselves: Once  you've shrunk a photo, you can shrink it some more by double-clicking on it again, but *you can't make it larger* - in order to do that, you have to delete the photo, re-add it, and start at 910 by 512 again. This is a two-step process: 1) upload and 2) add to post. You never need to upload a second time (unless you want to remove the photograph altogether); you merely need to re-add it to the post. The only thing that is even remotely time-consuming is the upload process, but with today's faster transmission speeds, it still only takes seconds. Note that when you want to upload multiple photos (TrelayneNYC this applies to you (btw, write me if you want me to change your screen name to TrelayneSF)), if you hold down the "Shift" key, you can highlight as many as you wish in one step. Again, this is probably gibberish to anyone who hasn't tried it, but it's really quite simple - if anyone writes me, I'll be glad to explain it. Here's a little primer I wrote about it awhile back - scroll down to the part that says "Uploading Pictures" - we've updated versions since I wrote it, but it should still be mostly accurate.

By the way, *we have a San Francisco Forum now*! :) I decided to go ahead and put it up in an unfinished state, and complete it over the next few months. You've probably seen there is no Dining Guide yet - that ball is in my court. You've probably also seen that I've split out threads into individual restaurants beginning with the oldest, and that LOTS of things are in this thread which need splitting out - that ball is in my court also. TrelayneNYC, if you want to post on a non-existing restaurant, you can either stick it in here, and i"ll get around to splitting it off, or, you can make a brand new thread, and I'll change the title and tags accordingly - whatever is easiest for you is fine with me, but if everyone can do "one restaurant per post," that will make it possible to split things into their own threads; single posts that contain multiple restaurants will necessarily need to be left in this thread, which will make them harder to find because I won't be able to index them - in other words: TrelayneNYC, you're doing it correctly. 

Thanks to all, and this is going to take me several months to finish. In fact, it probably makes more sense to start with the newest posts first, and work my way back. If there are (for example) ten posts about Quince, I'll move all ten into the new Quince thread. Even though that will save me some time, this is still going to be a *lot* of work. Anyway, to all our new friends from Monterey all the way to Sacramento - welcome! I hope to serve you to the best of my ability. 

Cheers,
Rocks

Now that I live here, I'm going to try to book myself a seating at Atelier Crenn and Saison sometime this year.  They've been on my "to-go" list for some time now.

Hopefully these places will admit one person. My partner is on a limited income and would definitely balk at the idea of a meal that costs $500+ per person.

1 hour ago, TrelayneNYC said:

Hopefully these places will admit one person. My partner is on a limited income and would definitely balk at the idea of a meal that costs $500+ per person.

Be a sport and take him for his birthday :)

*Any* great restaurant will admit one person - I've yet to see one that won't. In fact, one of *the* greatest dining experiences of my life was solo at a Michelin 3-Star in France -  they went to a lot of trouble to make sure I had a corner table, overlooking the entire restaurant, and it was a Top-10-ever meal, maybe Top-5-ever. Hell, maybe Top-3-ever.

It's funny, the restaurant had 2 Stars when I went, but I *knew*, when I left, they'd have to change it to 3, and within the next 1-2 years, they did. The very best dining experiences a person can have are when a 2-star restaurant is pulling out all stops to become a 3-star restaurant. The previous sentence is one of the most useful pieces of information I've ever typed here: Remember it.

• Like 2

Sure, but it's not his type of food or I would have already done it.

He wanted to go to Gary Danko and the result of that trip is on the GD thread.

He wasn't a fan of Kin Khao.  Too spicy and the black rice pudding dessert weirded him out.

Which reminds me, I need to return for lunch soon.  I was all set to go today but I forgot to bring my camera this morning.  Drat.

After enduring a nearly hour wait, we satiated ourselves with some Korean BBQ last night and we're making plans to return.

IMG_2564.JPG.01941794c6b4e5b9bd81464c86b4e56e.JPG

Banchan.

Clockwise from bottom center: cabbage kimchi; sesame oil; shredded potatoes; quick cucumber pickle; mung bean sprouts; daikon radish kimchi; dish with sesame oil; seaweed salad; another type of kimchi I wasn't able to identify; squid and Asian pear kimchi; lettuce leaves; mountain yam with chile paste and sesame oil; fermented bean paste.

IMG_2567.JPG.c99b6fc48479b506a3a89d517ab52513.JPG

Pork belly.

IMG_2569.JPG.1709b2439ba34a2f9c61deec6df16f0f.JPG

Left: shrimp with vegetables.
Right: boneless short ribs.

Han II Kwan
1802 Balboa Street (19th Avenue)
Outer Richmond

Michael Bauer says that Plaj is a "focused" restaurant of interest for folks who like Scandinavian food with a California sensibility.  He gave it 2 1/2 stars.  I hadn't checked to see if he had reviewed it prior to going.  I wonder if I'm being unrealistic in my expectations.  I've heard so much about San Francisco being a foodie wonderland over the years...and now that I live here, it's been one disappointment after another.

IMG_2689-001.JPG.13228cfd9a9331d1267bc8bdb174380c.JPG

Freshly baked bread, sweet butter, leek "dust", Maldon sea salt.

For $3.  Since when did restaurants start charging for bread and butter?

IMG_2692-001.JPG.9ca9dd3cc27d6f8fed3860af182b2815.JPG

Smoked fish croquettes, horseradish cream, smoked trout roe.

B remarked that there was too much sauce.  The croquettes were average.

IMG_2695-001.JPG.c9396d4b7f4dbc5755fe34ec85940afe.JPG

Whitefish roe, miniature potato pancakes, anchovies, sour cream, red onion, herbs.

The menu sounded better than the actual plate. Think I ordered wrong.

IMG_2696-001.JPG.f2caf75f84644a8065459cc9c9e86761.JPG

Lamb shoulder, fava beans, green peas, potato, nettles, horseradish foam.

Didn't foam stop being a thing five years ago?

It was alright although there were (1) too many potatoes and (2) the sauce was on the edge of being too salty. Remember: if you can taste it, it's too much.

IMG_2701-001.JPG.b322c0247725b683ebb979ec61a00cb6.JPG

Cardamom bun, almond cream.

Sounded good on paper and it tasted like nothing, literally.

IMG_2705-001.JPG.1e961d08831df996170e1100e536c457.JPG

Chocolate cake, blueberry ice cream, creme anglaise.

What cardamom was supposed to be in the bun ended up in the blueberry ice cream.

Oh well, $158 (with tax and 20% tip) down the drain. We won't be back, for sure.

Plaj
333 Fulton Street (Gough Street)
Civic Center

IMG_2769.JPG.8c91490144c710a5b7117dd24d7d5dce.JPG

Beef tartare with Dijon mustard, shallots, quail egg and toast points.

A very good rendition.

IMG_2772.JPG.aeb0571f3b439bf96838b31e68f0204d.JPG

Lamb and vegetable brochettes, with couscous and mint coulis.

If there was mint coulis, I didn't taste any.  Couscous was buttered and lovely; the brochettes were "all right".  Way too much sauce which needed a touch of salt.

IMG_2773.JPG.6d9972ecc48eb61138f35cbfc01d3280.JPG

Eggs Benedict, side salad

IMG_2782.JPG.9db516fe115272a2e03910c1da81d03f.JPG

Cinnamon pain perdu, mixed berries, chantilly cream.

I'd go back just for the dessert alone.

Chez Maman
401 Gough Street (Hayes Street)
Hayes Valley