Honey Pig Gooldaegee Korean BBQ Chain - 24/7 Restaurant in Several Suburban Locations

I was leaving Yuraku in Germantown last night (in the same strip center as Honey Pig) and noticed a banner that said something along the lines of "grilling on charcoal" posted outside.  Anyone know something about this development?

• Like 1

So I called Germantown to get some clarification.  They are grilling on charcoal in the kitchen, this is not available at the table.  the guy on the phone hung up before I could ask if this was only at the Germantown location.

My Mom wanted to take her gentleman friend out to birthday dinner, so we had a really fun meal at Honey Pig.  We were going to go to Kogiya, but they had a big tour bus pull in and were packed.  Mom's friend had never had Korean BBQ before, but has been trying a lot of new asian foods lately because he does security systems, atm and fire alarm systems and got hired by a company that has a bunch of different asian restaurants.  Very proud of him, and of my Mother, for being cool adventurous eaters.  He loved the K-pop videos and the corrugated metal.  We got shrimp, bulgogi, beef rib and spicy pork belly.  The shrimp was much better than I expected, they were big juicy shrimp.  I thought they would get too overcooked, but we pulled them off the grill at just the right time.  They really enjoyed the bulgogi (who doesn't) and the rib was a good safe option for them.  My Mom doesn't like spicy, so she was less inclined to the pork belly, but ate some.  We also got a seafood pancake.  I think the banchan other than the kimchi is a bit strange here, for instance the raisin, apple, pasta salad?  But I like the bean sprouts and kimchi on the grill.   The shrimp came with onions and peppers, and man those peppers tasted good once they had gotten all charred and sweet.  Everything was good and we all had a really nice time.  It was also nice because we had a political discussion and we are all normally of very different political views, but were all very much on the same page.  It was kind of nice to be united as a family about something in a positive way, although the reasons it's coming about are not great.  It makes me think the future will be more positive, hopefully.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SilverBullitt said:

Honey Pig has announced that it will be opening a branch in Rockville in Spring 2018.  It doesn’t disclose the location but Bethesda Magazine reports that it will be at Montrose Crossing (Randolph and the Pike), in the former location of Tony Lin’s. 

The Honey Pig location in Germantown is already inferior to Iron Age in Rockville, so I expect that having a HP closer won't adjust my Korean BBQ rotation at all.