• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another jumps aboard this trend. (Is it still a trend when it's gone on this long?)

click

Dangerously close to the new site of our office on Washingtonian Blvd. I'll be brave and take one for the team when they open... :lol:

I'm ignoring their impending arrival. And kind of hoping I hate the cupcakes. Because really, I'm at the Rio Center every weekend and I drive past on days I go to the office. This could be bad for my waistline and my cash flow.

We hosted a blind taste testing for six 12-year-old girls. One chocolate-themed and one vanilla-themed cupcake each from Baked & Wired, Hello Cupcake, Buzz, and Crumbs were evaluated (we had multiple cupcakes of each variety). I was somewhat surprised that Crumbs won almost across the board. The overall favorite was the Crumbs chocolate, followed closely by the Crumbs vanilla. The Crumbs chocolate topped the Icing category (based on flavor) and the Crumbs vanilla took the honors for the Cake component of the cupcake. The Buzz chocolate entry managed to take first place in the Appearance category, giving Crumbs its only setback of the day. I know this was not exactly scientific, but it was still a lot of fun. Interestingly, Crumbs was the least expensive (by a hair) of the four stores I visited for the same number of cupcakes.

As for Georgetown Cupcake? The line was already long before the store opened at 10am. I wait in line for no cupcake.

As for Georgetown Cupcake? The line was already long before the store opened at 10am. I wait in line for no cupcake.

There appears to be a new entry for your competition. The bright pink building on M Street is now a Sprinkles cupcakery (is that a word?). I don't know if it is a chain. Since it is about halfway between Georgetown Cupcake and Furins and just up the street from Baked & Wired maybe your tasters could have a cupcake crawl up and down M!

I am a recent addition to my company in the Rio Center so I too have succumbed to trying cupcakes.

I have tasted Lilly Magilly's entries twice - the first time it was a cookies & cream cupcake. Decidedly dry and not to be purchased again. Then I got a coupon for a free one - so I choose Red Velvet. And it was good, dammit.

But now we have 16 Handles frozen yogurt across the street so I'm aiming for the healthy qualities of that dessert now. And I joined Sport & Health.

I'm ignoring their impending arrival. And kind of hoping I hate the cupcakes. Because really, I'm at the Rio Center every weekend and I drive past on days I go to the office. This could be bad for my waistline and my cash flow.

I am a recent addition to my company in the Rio Center so I too have succumbed to trying cupcakes.

I have tasted Lilly Magilly's entries twice - the first time it was a cookies & cream cupcake. Decidedly dry and not to be purchased again. Then I got a coupon for a free one - so I choose Red Velvet. And it was good, dammit.

But now we have 16 Handles frozen yogurt across the street so I'm aiming for the healthy qualities of that dessert now. And I joined Sport & Health.

We like the cupcakes but the staff is so inept that we stopped going. I shared my concerns with the owner and nothing improved. Better for my waistline....

I went for a haircut in Georgetown this past Saturday and thought I would pick up some beans at Baked & Wired. I ended up finding chaos, as I saw a long line out the door for cupcakes, and then found the same view at Georgetown Cupcakes AND Sprinkles. Goodness gracious.

I went for a haircut in Georgetown this past Saturday and thought I would pick up some beans at Baked & Wired. I ended up finding chaos, as I saw a long line out the door for cupcakes, and then found the same view at Georgetown Cupcakes AND Sprinkles. Goodness gracious.

Our wait at Baked & Wired several weeks ago was 15-20 minutes (when it was also colder and windier). We're going the cupcake route for the wedding, and tasted all over the DC area starting last fall...Hello Cupcake, Heidelberg, and CakeDreams were eliminated early on, Georgetown more recently. Final two were Baked & Wired and Bakeshop...we went with Bakeshop. Can't wait!

Our wait at Baked & Wired several weeks ago was 15-20 minutes (when it was also colder and windier). We're going the cupcake route for the wedding, and tasted all over the DC area starting last fall...Hello Cupcake, Heidelberg, and CakeDreams were eliminated early on, Georgetown more recently. Final two were Baked & Wired and Bakeshop...we went with Bakeshop. Can't wait!

Bakeshop ones are very very good! They are in my final two of cupcakes too!!

A co-worker just brought cupcakes from the Sweetbites food truck to a meeting. They looked pretty and the group happily ate them. I haven't had a piece of cake that overmixed since a food science lab in undergrad where they purposefully worked batter to death to demonstrate what happens. When you held the cupcake you could actually feel how heavy and hard the cake was- almost like Nerf foam. The cake was chewy, gummy, tough, tunneled, and peaked. It was so tough that I wonder if they were using bread flour. The cake combined with unremarkable frosting made the product overall unpleasant and a waste of calories.

A new change to the DC code, if approved by Congress, would regulate alcohol in baked goods/confections and require $1000 liquor license for the vendor.  According to Hill Now:

The Omnibus Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Amendment Act of 2014 would apply to all "confectionary food products" that contain between 0.5 and 5 percent alcohol per volume. The sealed products would need to be labeled with the brand of alcohol used, and could be sold only to customers age 21 and up, the legislation says.

It doesn't apply only to cupcakes but would that would probably be the product most affected.  The article quotes Sam Whitfield, co-owner of Curbside Cupcakes, saying this might cause them to stop selling some of their flavors.

A new change to the DC code, if approved by Congress, would regulate alcohol in baked goods/confections and require $1000 liquor license for the vendor.  According to Hill Now:

If anyone in DC *against* this ridiculous legislation wants some expert testimony, contact me at donrockwell@dcdining.com.

I'm a fan of the cupcakes at Best Buns in Shirlington.  Some years ago, Groupon had a special for CakeLove so I bought the max, which I think was 5 coupons.  I was so disappointed and couldn't understand how this place was so popular and steady opening new locations.  I will say that I ordered an actual cake from them once and the cake was good.  But those cupcakes were a disaster.