111 replies to this topic

#101 schulju

schulju

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Yet another jumps aboard this trend. (Is it still a trend when it's gone on this long?)
click

Dangerously close to the new site of our office on Washingtonian Blvd. I'll be brave and take one for the team when they open... :lol:

Judi Schulman Bradley
Food Enthusiast

#102 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

Yet another jumps aboard this trend. (Is it still a trend when it's gone on this long?)
click

Dangerously close to the new site of our office on Washingtonian Blvd. I'll be brave and take one for the team when they open... :lol:

I'm ignoring their impending arrival. And kind of hoping I hate the cupcakes. Because really, I'm at the Rio Center every weekend and I drive past on days I go to the office. This could be bad for my waistline and my cash flow.

#103 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:38 AM

We hosted a blind taste testing for six 12-year-old girls. One chocolate-themed and one vanilla-themed cupcake each from Baked & Wired, Hello Cupcake, Buzz, and Crumbs were evaluated (we had multiple cupcakes of each variety). I was somewhat surprised that Crumbs won almost across the board. The overall favorite was the Crumbs chocolate, followed closely by the Crumbs vanilla. The Crumbs chocolate topped the Icing category (based on flavor) and the Crumbs vanilla took the honors for the Cake component of the cupcake. The Buzz chocolate entry managed to take first place in the Appearance category, giving Crumbs its only setback of the day. I know this was not exactly scientific, but it was still a lot of fun. Interestingly, Crumbs was the least expensive (by a hair) of the four stores I visited for the same number of cupcakes.

As for Georgetown Cupcake? The line was already long before the store opened at 10am. I wait in line for no cupcake.

#104 lggl

lggl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

As for Georgetown Cupcake? The line was already long before the store opened at 10am. I wait in line for no cupcake.

There appears to be a new entry for your competition. The bright pink building on M Street is now a Sprinkles cupcakery (is that a word?). I don't know if it is a chain. Since it is about halfway between Georgetown Cupcake and Furins and just up the street from Baked & Wired maybe your tasters could have a cupcake crawl up and down M!

#105 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

There appears to be a new entry for your competition. The bright pink building on M Street is now a Sprinkles cupcakery (is that a word?). I don't know if it is a chain.

Sprinkles is an LA chain for celebs. You can buy their cupcake mixes at W-S.
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#106 beachgirl54

beachgirl54

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

I am a recent addition to my company in the Rio Center so I too have succumbed to trying cupcakes.

I have tasted Lilly Magilly's entries twice - the first time it was a cookies & cream cupcake. Decidedly dry and not to be purchased again. Then I got a coupon for a free one - so I choose Red Velvet. And it was good, dammit.

But now we have 16 Handles frozen yogurt across the street so I'm aiming for the healthy qualities of that dessert now. And I joined Sport & Health.

I'm ignoring their impending arrival. And kind of hoping I hate the cupcakes. Because really, I'm at the Rio Center every weekend and I drive past on days I go to the office. This could be bad for my waistline and my cash flow.

Jeremy's Mom

#107 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

I am a recent addition to my company in the Rio Center so I too have succumbed to trying cupcakes.

I have tasted Lilly Magilly's entries twice - the first time it was a cookies & cream cupcake. Decidedly dry and not to be purchased again. Then I got a coupon for a free one - so I choose Red Velvet. And it was good, dammit.

But now we have 16 Handles frozen yogurt across the street so I'm aiming for the healthy qualities of that dessert now. And I joined Sport & Health.

We like the cupcakes but the staff is so inept that we stopped going. I shared my concerns with the owner and nothing improved. Better for my waistline....

#108 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

I went for a haircut in Georgetown this past Saturday and thought I would pick up some beans at Baked & Wired. I ended up finding chaos, as I saw a long line out the door for cupcakes, and then found the same view at Georgetown Cupcakes AND Sprinkles. Goodness gracious.
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#109 silentbob

silentbob

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

I went for a haircut in Georgetown this past Saturday and thought I would pick up some beans at Baked & Wired. I ended up finding chaos, as I saw a long line out the door for cupcakes, and then found the same view at Georgetown Cupcakes AND Sprinkles. Goodness gracious.

Our wait at Baked & Wired several weeks ago was 15-20 minutes (when it was also colder and windier). We're going the cupcake route for the wedding, and tasted all over the DC area starting last fall...Hello Cupcake, Heidelberg, and CakeDreams were eliminated early on, Georgetown more recently. Final two were Baked & Wired and Bakeshop...we went with Bakeshop. Can't wait!

#110 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Our wait at Baked & Wired several weeks ago was 15-20 minutes (when it was also colder and windier). We're going the cupcake route for the wedding, and tasted all over the DC area starting last fall...Hello Cupcake, Heidelberg, and CakeDreams were eliminated early on, Georgetown more recently. Final two were Baked & Wired and Bakeshop...we went with Bakeshop. Can't wait!

Bakeshop ones are very very good! They are in my final two of cupcakes too!!

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#111 lekkerwijn

lekkerwijn

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

A co-worker just brought cupcakes from the Sweetbites food truck to a meeting. They looked pretty and the group happily ate them. I haven't had a piece of cake that overmixed since a food science lab in undergrad where they purposefully worked batter to death to demonstrate what happens. When you held the cupcake you could actually feel how heavy and hard the cake was- almost like Nerf foam. The cake was chewy, gummy, tough, tunneled, and peaked. It was so tough that I wonder if they were using bread flour. The cake combined with unremarkable frosting made the product overall unpleasant and a waste of calories.

Instagram @lekkerwijn

#112 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

There is a new cupcake place at King Farm called the Cakery.

Has anyone tried it? There is a Living Social today available but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in it without positive feedback.

Or I may simply pick up the little guy early and check it out on our way home today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users