Olazzo, Bethesda and Silver Spring - Cheap, Quick Italian for Those who Don't Want to Cook

Fair to middling, but economical and close to the house.

That's pretty much how we felt when we went to the one in Bethesda for the first (and probably last) time last weekend. It was the least amount of money we could remember spending on a sit down, dine-in meal that wasn't fast food, but we knew what we were in for quality-wise when I asked if any of the pasta was homemade and the server replied, "Well, everything's cooked here." It was as if he couldn't wrap his mind around the possibility that an Italian restaurant might actually make it's own pasta.

Pax,

Brian

I go here once and a while for lunch. Their food is pretty decent for the price (most entrees are about 8-12 dollars) and their bread at the bathesda one is very fresh and has a good crust. Their metballs are light and flavorfull and I like thier lasagana, their sausages and the chicken in sun dried tomato sauce (but I wish they'd put more veggies in that dish) anyway I'd give it a 7/10.

Finally went to Olazzo over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The food was good and not from a Silver Spring chain restaurant which makes me happy. Their website said they were kid-friendly but I have a bit of a take on it. While they were very receptive to kids they weren't necessarily equipped for kids in terms of design, size of utensils, etc but generally very good with my son and ensuring his order arrived quickly. The rose sauce was excellent!

I've been a couple of times to the Olazzo located in Silver Spring. Service has been very attentive, and the food surprisingly good considering the prices. I would argue that Dino in Cleveland Park would cost a little more than this, although it would also be a step higher in quality. My one big complaint with the SS location are the televisions - they are too prominent and distract from the general ambience of the restaurant.

Last night Olazzo in Silver Spring. Fair to middling, but economical and close to the house.

That's pretty much how we felt when we went to the one in Bethesda for the first (and probably last) time last weekend. It was the least amount of money we could remember spending on a sit down, dine-in meal that wasn't fast food....

Saturday night (the night of the howling, chilling wind) was a Park-n-Sprint dinner in Bethesda, parking in whatever space you could find, and sprinting to the nearest restaurant, which happened to be Olazzo. We got the last two-top, right next to a drafty window, and ate with our coats on just like most other people in the restaurant. Fifteen minutes after we sat down, diners were being told there was a thirty-minute wait for a table.

I am in complete accord with the above two posts. Both the Lasagna Alla Bolognese ($13) and the Sausage & Peppers ($13) over linguine were mediocre at best, with limp, overcooked pasta, minimal meat, and canned sauces. Both came with a little salad, and were washed down with a glass of Diet Coke ($2.50 with optional refill) and a Moretti ($5.00).

The food at this noisy, clanky restaurant was no better than any half-competent homemaker could make, and the only reason people pack it is because it's cheap, it's quick, and there's no cooking or cleaning. Efficiency and speed seemed to be the goals of the waitstaff, and I remember sitting there stunned, and somewhat impressed, with how fast the busser was able to clear our plates - it was like watching a juggler in action.

Cheers,

Rocks.

We had not been to Olazzo in Bethesda in probably 3 years so we decided to give it a try last Saturday night as my son wanted meatballs. We walked in around 7 pm to a half full restaurant.

Needless to say not much has changed from the previous reviews - overcooked tasteless pasta, stale bread, greasy calamari, and cold meatballs.

Service was fine and prices are reasonable but really see no reason to return. Should have driven the extra few miles to Amici Miei.

Went here once maybe two years ago with a coworker. The only thing notable about that meal was how sub-par the meatball appetizer was. The rest of the meal was forgotten.

Was not going to go back, but a former coworker and friend and I were walking around trying to decide where to eat, he liked the idea of Italian, so I figured what the hell.

Had something they called bruschetta, and it wasn't bad, but I would not really call it bruschetta either. Meh.

Had some chicken pasta which was ok. The sauce was some kind of tomato cream based sauce that was not bad if heavy handed. Much of the chicken in the dish was overcooked hunks of meh though, perfect for someone that doesn't care what their Soylent Green looks or tastes like (hey look! a cube of protein!). The sauce was at least flavorful and the pasta was not overcooked at all.

On the plus side, the service was very good, and that does matter.

. the chicken in the dish was overcooked hunks of meh though, perfect for someone that doesn't care what their Soylent Green looks or tastes like (hey look! a cube of protein!). The sauce was at least flavorful and the pasta was not overcooked at all. .

I mostly lurk, but just wanted to say that I love it when the comments, rather than being a straight review, are about how the commenter is so much better, more informed, smarter, more foodie, etc., than all the stupid common people. Please keep it up.

I mostly lurk, but just wanted to say that I love it when the comments, rather than being a straight review, are about how the commenter is so much better, more informed, smarter, more foodie, etc., than all the stupid common people. Please keep it up.

The thing is, he's largely right: Olazzo is decidedly mediocre (although it's inexpensive, I'll say that much). I don't see any put-downs of "common people" in his post - what do you object to, the "someone" comment? I guess his post went over my head; or under it, or something.

I was trying to be cheeky and apparently failed. :mellow:

The chicken was overcooked. I called it out. But I also said the pasta was cooked correctly and the sauce was flavorful. It is what it is. Written word is often very easy to misread what the author wrote because you cannot be in the author's brain when you read it just as much as the author has no idea how the reader may interpret their written word. Happens all the time and it's no big deal.

I was trying to be cheeky and apparently failed. :mellow:

The chicken was overcooked. I called it out. But I also said the pasta was cooked correctly and the sauce was flavorful. It is what it is. Written word is often very easy to misread what the author wrote because you cannot be in the author's brain when you read it just as much as the author has no idea how the reader may interpret their written word. Happens all the time and it's no big deal.

[Let me step in as moderator and say that I think both of you two are A-OK.]

We probably go to Olazzo 3-4 times a year, plus carryout every now and then.

I believe the dish Pool Boy referenced is called Chicken Cardinale and he is completely right about that chicken, not great.  HOWEVAH, I order that dish about half the time we go (and my wife gets it the other half of the time).  There is nothing particularly unique or inspiring about the "pink" sauce that comes with that dish, but darn if it isn't addictive.

When I have ventured away from the Chicken Cardinale, I opt for the Chicken Milanese.  Interesting enough, I like the chicken that comes with this dish (pounded thin and lightly fried) but the pasta with a cream sauce is usually just ok.

Overall, I like Olazzo, period.  The numerous mediocre/expensive competitors in Bethesda heightens the stature of Olazzo, fair or unfair.

4 minutes ago, jandres374 said:

What is Detroit style pizza? I work with a guy from Detroit and I asked him. He had no idea and said he was not aware.

From Wikipedia: “Detroit-style pizza is a rectangular pizza with a thick crust that is crispy and chewy. It is traditionally topped with Wisconsin brick cheese, then tomato sauce layered on top of the other toppings (rather than directly onto the dough). This style of pizza is often baked in rectangular steel trays designed for use as automotive drip pans or to hold small industrial parts in factories. The style was developed during the mid-twentieth century in Detroit before spreading to other parts of the United States in the 2010s. The dish is one of Detroit's iconic local foods.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Detroit style pizza is basically Pizza Hut pan with cheese sprinkled to the edge of the pizza.  I've always like Pizza Hut pan, so do my kids.  Pizza Hut pan is better focaccia than many restaurants.

Other way around, as Detroit pizza predates Pizza Hut...