White Wine Worth Drinking

For fans of Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel and The Shadow: Joe Riley has scored a number of cases of a very small production WHITE wine made by Steve Edmunds called Heart of Gold, which is 54% Grenache blanc and 46% Vermentino. It is abundant with everything I look for in a white wine--mouthfilling dry fruit balanced with clean minerality and refreshing acidity. I can't think of a better food-accompaniment that I have had recently. Paired with a mild grilled fish, it harmonized without overwhelming while it held it's own and was a refreshing palate cleanser with a rich potato salad with stong flavors of caper and onion. I can't remember the exact price, but it was in the $20 vicinity. Well worth it, IMO.

I know several people who don't drink any white wine at all. I don't drink nearly as much white wine as I do red in the winter, or rosé during the summer. When I do drink white wine, I tend to prefer viognier, torrontes, dry muscat, falanghina, gruner veltliner or dry riesling to chardonnay or sauvignon blanc.

Run across a white wine you care to recommend?

Run across a white wine you care to recommend?

Thanks, Zora, this sounds great. I'm lacking a go-to white and will have to check this out soon.

Really enjoyed my first white grenache at Proof last week (details unknown).

Tonight we had the Alamos Torrontes 2007 ($9). Floral citrus, a little but not too sweet, paired nicely with spicy asian cuisine and berries for dessert but was probably too sweet for most other dishes.

i guess coenobium is one way of saying convent, but this one, picked with a lucky spin off the shelf, has everything zora is looking for in a white wine, priced in the mid-$20s.

coenobium 2006, half verdicchio and then grachetto and trebbiano, a nice communal white table wine, made by the cistercian nuns outside of rome. you could have a field day with the tasting notes, i know i hit some pepper going in that was gone by the time the bottle was finished. unique, off the beaten track and evocative of countryside i have tramped mostly in my imagination.

Just found at Trader Joe's in Seven Corners:

2006 Weingut Strauss Gelber Muskateller -- $13.99

I have enjoyed several previous vintages of this wine, and for many months it has been missing from every shelf I've looked at.

Um...Bailey's Crossroads? (Or there's one on the other side of Falls Church?) Geography aside, do the different TJ's locations generally carry the same wines? If I look for this at the West End store this evening, are my chances of finding it good?

Um...Bailey's Crossroads? (Or there's one on the other side of Falls Church?) Geography aside, do the different TJ's locations generally carry the same wines? If I look for this at the West End store this evening, are my chances of finding it good?

My bad. I meant to say Tyson's Corner, not Seven Corners. I haven't been to the Bailey's Xroads store recently. The one I visited today is on Route 7, not far from the Tyson's Corner Mall. It's across Route 7 from Whole Foods, if that helps. I was at the Foggy Bottom TJ's a few days ago, and they didn't have it. In fact, when I asked the clerk if she had any dry muscat, she showed me a muscadet. The Virginia stores have different stock than the DC store, though they both have lots of Charles Shaw. You might call Bailey's and ask if they have it.

My bad. I meant to say Tyson's Corner, not Seven Corners. You might call Bailey's and ask if they have it.
I used to work at Seven Corners and occasionally shop at the Bailey's Crossroads store, so I thought that was what you probably meant. I failed to guess the "corner" connection. At any rate, the Tyson's and Bailey's stores are currently equally inconvenient to me.