• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Shenandoah Joe Coffee is not a bad place to stop when passing through the area.  Pleased to see that they do pour-overs; more pleased when the barista asked which roast I want.  The choices were dark or darker.  Total geek that I am, I asked if I could smell some beans.  He had no problem with that.  They were oily and almost black and smelled that way so I asked for (and got) something lighter.  Great cup.  Meanwhile, I asked who roasts the beans, expecting an answer like Counter Culture or Lexington or whatever.  The answer was "uh, his name's Dave; he's sitting at that table over there."

Gotta love small independent shops.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#102 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

That was really good!

#103 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yum, yum, yum!  Had a really good meal at Public Fish and Oyster.  The space it open and really cute.  Nice selection of oysters.  They had four sauces for the oysters: horseradish, rose mignonette, apple mignonette, cocktail.  I really liked the apple mignonette.  They also had a nice bread selection.  For entree I had the olive oil poached halibut with mussel pan sauce, leek, mushroom and Anson Mill grits that were so sinful.  The dish was really good.  Matt had the Thai mussles which were also really good, and their fries were tasty.  

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#104 Seanchai

Seanchai

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Really looking forward to trying Public Fish and Oyster with my wife without the kids if I can finagle a babysitter.  My older son has an expensive taste for fresh seafood and high sense of entitlement;  I blame his mother of course.

• ktmoomau likes this

#105 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

The single best restaurant in the Charlottesville area right now is the Ivy whose chef/owner was nominated for a Mid Atlantic James Beard award this year.  We had a 12 course tasting menu that was extraordinary.  On Monday eve ning every single one of the 50-60 seats was filled-the restaurant is known and has a very real loyal following.

At this point I believe I have been to every Charlottesville area winery and my absolute favorite is Grace Estates which also has the most spectacular setting and view of any of them.  This may seem difficult to believe given the views and settings of King Family, Veritas, Pollak and Afton but Grace, a 20,000 square foot Georgian mansion on the plateau top of a 1100' mountain with 30+ mile views is spectacular.  Their '12 PV and '12 Tannat are among the best '12's in the state and bothv ery reasonably priced in the mid to high '20's.  '13 from the barrel will challenge for the Governor's Cup next year as VA's best wine.  Jake, the winemaker, was at Pollak until a couple of years ago.  He had several wines in VA's Governor's Case.  He'll win it at Grace.

Grace Estates is virtually unknown but a true destination, I think the primary destination of a any Charlottesville area winery followed by Barboursville and Keswick, possibly Pollak also.  

#106 plarkins

plarkins

Trombone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

My wife and I visited Charlottesville over this past holiday weekend. It was our first prolonged visit and really enjoyed it. I wish I had gone to Grace Estates. Ended up going to Keswick, Barboursville, Pollack, and Afton. Nothing really stood out. Reinforces my opinion Linden, Glen Manor, and Delaplane are the best all-around vineyards/wineries in the state (RDV too but I haven't been). I know Barboursville makes great wine not available for tasting, so I'll give them a pass...considering they set up their tasting room for quanity over quality (zoo over zen). I did like their pinot gris and Italian reds (I regret not buying some since they turned out to be the better wines of the trip). After doing their tasting, I had terrible palette fatigue so I didn't enjoy Pollack and Afton's wine as much as I would have probably. It is a beautiful area, the whole region. I guess I'm just biased to Jim Law and his apprentice's wines.

We did do Ivy Inn and enjoyed the food a lot. However, dining out on the patio was awkward. Its a rectangular brick patio that is obviously shaped well for larger events. For normal dining, it was a bit too spacious and we were sat at a table with leaves extended. It could have sat 6 people, so it also was awkwardly spacious. The meal started with a tasty amuse bouche of pimento cheese on a cracker. We split an app (crispy fried holloumi cheese), salad (local heirloom greens), one pasta (gnocchi with Polyface chicken and Rock Barn andouilli), and a dessert (peach crisp w/ ice cream). Everything was very good. Just wish we could have tried more dishes, but we were still carrying lunch in our stomachs from the destination worthy BBQ Exchange in Gordonsville. An easy stop if going to Barboursville, Keswick, or other nearby wineries.

Other places we ate at were:

Petit Pois - wife raved about the trout amandine and I had a very good pork loin not listed on the website menu. Portions were fairly large.

Blue Mountain Brewery - really nice but large, busy setting. Beer was alright. I had the kolsch but have enjoyed better ones locally (Mad Fox). Food was more than adequate for a brewery.

Shenandoah Joe - wife enjoyed her pour-over. nice, spacious interior. I don't drink coffee so can't add much.

Carpe Donut - all organic doughnuts with originally one flavor (cider cake donut rolled in cinnamon sugar); initially sold from a food truck or catering now with a tiny storefront in an interesting refurbished (faux?) low density industrial park. They had two new flavors in the store (maple glazed and bourbon), but preferred the original. The donuts were a bit spongy for my taste. One donut was cooked longer/hotter and had a crispier exterior than the others, so that one was the best.

Bizou - nice setting on the mall, but no tables with shade so we ate inside. Perhaps a bit outdated of an interior, but the food was surprisingly very good. I hadn't reviewed this place prior to our visit. It was brunch so had an excellent vegetable frittata. really fresh and little dots of roasted red pepper sauce made it stand out.

one more note on wine. I was surprised how cheap bottles of VA wine were at the restaurants. Generally not more than 50% additional cost from retail..most seemed less. Lots to choose from too. Cville really does take local to the next step.

#107 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

I believe that there is a different model in Charlottesville wineries:  going to the winery and having a view of the mountains with either a tasting or buying the cheapest bottle available.  Most wineries have a good bottle but on three visits in the last four months it is a rarity when someone buys anything more than the cheapest to drink.  Overall, I totally agree with plarkins above:  Jim Law has passed on different standards for Linden/Delaplane/Glen manor and RDV.  I believe the finest wine in the entire state (fine by any definition-not just VA) is being made fifty miles west of the beltway off of I 66.  Certainly, one of the most beautiful places on earth, too.  I'd also add Hillsboroughs and their Onyx to this list.  I was at Delaplane several days ago and he has two of the best wines in VA:  his 2012 Williams Gap red and his 2013 Petit Manseng.  Linden's 2010 Hardscrabble Red is the best he has ever made ('10 Boisseau, too) and Jeff White at Glen Manor is quietly setting the standard for everyone else in the state.  '10 Hodder Hill, '10 Petit Verdot, '12 Petit manseng.  Both linden and Glen Manor have superb late harvest dessert wines well worth trying a bottle of.

The Washington Post's recent major attention to the above wineries is more than warranted.  We are extremely fortunate that they are so close to us.  And so serious about what they make.

• plarkins likes this

#108 plarkins

plarkins

Trombone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

drifting off target, but I'm glad you mentioned petit manseng. The '13 at Delaplane is awesome. And recently tried Glen Manor's '13 petit manseng too. Jeff's wife, Kelly, paired it excellently with candied ginger in the tasting room. Currently, I much prefer the pm's over Virginia's viognier.

• Joe H likes this

#109 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

We didn't do a lot of eating out this trip, but I wanted to point out a couple fun places if you are up near Barboursville winery.  First Grelen Farm Market is a really nice greenhouse/orchard/market.  They have a small selection of food.  I just had a cookie, but the menu didn't look bad.  We ended up eating lunch at Stonefire Kitchen.  It was a great lunch stop and would be well worth a stop for picnic provisions to take to a winery if you didn't want to eat in.  It was pretty busy on Saturday, so you may want to call in your order if you are taking out.  They had a great selection of sandwiches, salads and they had a couple seasonal soups.  They also had a large selection of beer, wine, other beverages and small baked goods.  I had a turkey and dill havarti sandwich with homemade apple chutney and spinach.  It was really good.  MIL's turkey and rice soup looked really good too.  FIL had corned beef that was obviously homemade and looked really good.  

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users