The Saloon, 12th & U Streets NW - U Street Pub with a Fine Beer Selection

Are you talking about The Saloun in Georgetown (formerly called "The Saloon?")

I'm going to guess that he's talking about Jahanbein's not-so-new incarnation of the The Saloon (he used to run the g'town one) at 1207 U St. NW. A lovely curmudgeonly place, with veddy fine beer indeed.

I'm going to guess that he's talking about Jahanbein's not-so-new incarnation of the The Saloon (he used to run the g'town one) at 1207 U St. NW. A lovely curmudgeonly place, with veddy fine beer indeed.

Yup, I'm referring to the U St one. Much closer to home. And conveniently close to Solly's for a post-meal PBR.

Downed several half liters at The Saloon Saturday night...they had just tapped a keg of Eggenberg that was very tasty. we also got a glass of the Urkbock 23 to sample (it comes in a wine glass, one glass per person) and it was also good, although with their one glass per person rule it was more of a curiosity.

I thought the menu was out of tune with the beer selection...mostly American pub grub (nachos, chicken tenders etc.) and sandwiches...throw on a selection of German food, at least some sausages! But I can say go with the cheese fries...mmm cheese fries!

If I made it to U Street more often I would definitely be a regular.

we also got a glass of the Urkbock 23 to sample (it comes in a wine glass, one glass per person) and it was also good, although with their one glass per person rule it was more of a curiosity.

I'm curious how you finished a whole glass of it! That is one daunting drink.

BTW, I got the lowdown on the U Street Saloon vs. the Georgetown Saloun. Apparently, one of the co-owners (the guy who now owns the U Street Saloon) sold the business in Georgetown to his partners, under the stipulation that they'd change the name. And so they did ... sort of.

Is Tuesday still "steak night"?

I used to go to this ... twenty-five years ago. :)

They had *the best* keg of Spaten Oktoberfest I've ever had in my life (this is back when Spaten made real beer, and this particular keg - for whatever reason - was as good as what you'd get in Germany). My friend (with whom I went to Munich) and I both took the first sip from our mugs, and then looked straight up at each other with our eyes bugging out - there was no need to say a word.

• Like 1

It must have just been a slow Thursday night along U Street last night.  After dinner at Izakaya Seki we swung by The Saloon for drinks.  It was also mostly empty around 9pm.  We capped off the evening with Eggenberg Dunkel.

The Saloon had a big table set up with German beer glassware for sale.  We picked up a couple snifter style glasses from Biere du Boucanier for $4 each.  They had plenty of larger half liter glassware for $4-$5 each.  Proceeds benefits The Saloon's charity work.

• Like 2