Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista - Closed

I just wanted to say thank you for the food and hospitality yesterday at Hell-burgers. I was glad to meet up with some fellow DR-ers right at 5.

And that was one of, if not the, best burgers I've ever had. I kept mine simple - white cheddar, grilled onions, mayo - and they included lettuce and a delicious tomato on there. Being one of the first ones, mine was pretty much well done, but it still was so juicy that the bun couldn't keep up! I've been singing its praises to everyone who'd listen since I left.

And I can't believe he wouldn't take money! Well, I guess he'll be getting more of mine over the next while...next time I build the burger I was dreaming about all day yesterday (I just wanted yesterday's to be, as DanielK said, about the meat).

My coworkers are already clamoring for lunch hours! That'll guarantee many a good afternoon nap in our sleepy little government agency...:lol:

Since I didn't get a chance to say hi to Michael, I was the guy in the green short sleeved shirt with the DR folks right at the beginning of the night. :lol:

Best of luck, and I'll be bringing everyone I can around!

I'd never heard of bel passe before

I wouldn't have either if it weren't for the Monty Python cheese shop sketch...

Anyways, all I can really say is thanks. Not just for the free burger, but for the whole Ray's empire. And thanks for this board, which allowed me to be part of Ray's history last night. I was lucky enough to get in with the very first wave of customers.

Everything was great. I feel sorry for the buns whose job it is to contain the juiciest burgers ever. And I don't see how any place could ever even hope to compete with the sheer number of topping choices. And if they did, there's no way they could be as delicious.

This is the sign that greets customers in line, showing the flavoring and cooking options:

post-66-1215008691_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what cuts are used in the burger?

When we got there at 5, Michael was trimming up a big, honkin' hunk of beef, bigger than a bowling ball, before putting it through the grinder. Shoulder? Rump? Couldn't tell you the answer, but you can't get beef ground any fresher than that.

No one got the hell sauce?

Hell, yes, we got the hell sauce! Michael explained that he had neglected to pre-cook the bacon--a gaffe he is unlikely ever to repeat-- which left the burgers waiting on the grill a minute or two too long while the requested bacon played catch-up. Despite not being medium rare, the burgers were juicy and loaded with beefy flavor. We felt privileged to be guinea pigs, while Michael worked out the kinks in his new operation. I predict great success, as with all of his worthy endeavors.

Anyone know what cuts are used in the burger?
We will be serving one thing only--10 ounces of our secret blend of premium and prime aged beef,

Emphasis added. Let's just say that his preparation procedure greatly exceeded my expectations of what I thought would go into a burger nearly adjacent to RTS. It's not a patty I could easily replicate at home if I just wanted a couple burgers for me and the missus to grill.

Landrum seems to have prioritized flavor, then texture, then moisture, and the resulting patty is a triumph. Even though the first few burgers off the grill were cooked well beyond the target temp, they were still really good...can't say that about most other overcooked burgers. I'm torn about the bun. It's a good soft bun, but marginal in the face of all that juice when you squeeze the burger into your mouth. I'm going to try cutting my burger in half next time to see if that helps. Once RBB works out the timing and detail kinks and the grill gets into its rhythm, people will be queueing up outside halfway to Falls Church.

Long time lurker, first time poster

___

Anyway,

My husband and I ate their last night and wow, one of the best burgers I have ever had (and I like to think myself a Wimpy level connoisseur). The beef itself is outstanding and actually had taste, which I find so few burger places consider. I had the Diablo with bacon and cheddar and hubby had peppercorn with bacon and bleu. The Diablo sauce is not to be missed. Also we loved all the drinks- Cheerwine is an old fave and was nice to have.

Thanks to Michael and the staff for their opening night hospitality. We will be back for sure.

Somewhere outside Philadelphia, circa 1983:

DAN'S MOM: What do you want for dinner, sweetie?

DAN (Age 3): HAMBURGERS!!!

Somewhere near GWU, late 2000:

DAN'S NEW GIRLFRIEND (now wife): So, what's your favorite food? What kind of stuff do you like to eat?

DAN (Age 20): HAMBURGERS!!!

And thus, as the inexorbale sway of gustatory destiny rolls on and Dan's favorite childhood pizza place moves in next door, the Universe again indulges Dan's childlike food whims:

Ray's Hell Burgers, July 2nd, 2008:

DANIELLE: What can I get for you?

DAN (age 28): HAMBURGERS!!!

Although not the line-out-the-door madhouse it was last night, a healthy crowd still filled seats. Michael, who was hard at work pumping meat into a shiny new grinder, indulged my drooling eyes and nose to talk a bit about how he handles his meat (stop snickering!). Here is a man who understands not just the motions of his craft but the essence of why it is.

The kitchen is open and welcoming with a sweet, spicy, smoky, meaty aroma that lifts you cartoon-hobo style to the register that Danielle has temporarily forsaken her RTS managerial duties to man.

Despite wanting to try several thousand burgers so as to indulge every possible flavor combination, I opted for plain grilled with browned red onions, the sherried mushrooms, bacon, Rogue Creamery bleu, and Ray's Hellsauce (which was definitely more than mayonaise left in the sun). My wife had almost the same thing but with raw onions and the Vermont cheddar. Before my eyes the burgers were ground, shaped, grilled, and topped - like a golem transformed from mud and clay to animated slave-monster. Danielle brought them to our table: the burger, corn, and watermelon a pastiche of American summer on a plate.

A squeeze of the burger and juices roiled out of the meat and back in to saturate the beef and bless the bun, like an endlessly rolling tide. I used the provided knife to slice mine in half. The first bite was a Vernian journey for my teeth as they passed through each layer in their mission to the center: a lightly hearty bun oozing with beefy flavor, the deep umami of the onions and mushrooms carried lovingly throughout by the creamy, velvety, mouth-saturating feel of the sauce, a smoky explosion from the bacon, a cool dip through lettuce and tomato, a soft swath through a cheese that echoed all the layers that came before it, and finally through the melifluously-maillarded crust of the meat to the fatty, beefy, juicy center.

Oh, and there was corn and watermelon, too.

Every other bite was much like the first. My bun held up, but my wife wasn't so lucky as the juice eventually wrecked any hope of it maintaining structural integrity. Now, I don't mind a mess, but some sort of flavorful moisture barrier might be in order (lettuce? butter?).

The 10 oz went by quickly, and were washed down with draught Dominion root beer. We cleansed our palates with some Moorenko's, thanked Michael for his near-committable insanity, care, talent, and generosity, and then hauled ourselves to the car.

RHB (RBB?) is to burger joints what RTS is to steakhouses: an alternative that redefines everything else as the actual alternative.

A HUGE thank you to Michael, Danielle, and everyone else on the team!!!

The wife, the son and I all went tonight. We were there early and so no problems about finding a place to sit. Well, the boy had a little trouble. Being 15 months old and sized like a 15 month old, he needed a high chair. Unfortunately, didn't have any. But the staff ran down to the old place and got us one. Good thing, because by the time we left, parents with two children were eyeing ours jealously. I suspect Ray's is going to need a number of these chairs and soon.

The reason they are going to need so many highchairs is the burger is great. Juicy, perfectly seasoned, and well cooked. I mean spot on well cooked. I love burgers and my wife is not so passionate, but she was the first one to dole out the compliments. It was likely the best burger I've had in DC for sure and potentially ever. And quite frankly, its the kind of place that will be busy with family guys like me. It's a step up, it's quick, it's reasonable for high quality product. I can see it being like the Two Amy's for burgers. Might make some of you single people annoyed.

There were a couple tiny snafus though. First, the corn was uncooked, but we loved that we got corn and watermelon with our burgers. Second, they goofed the delivery on the burgers. Wife had guerye on hers. I had aged cheddar on mine. Both white and look a like when melted. They then got the wrong fixings. But I think those two things are understandable errors, especially early on your second day.

Kudos to you guys over there. I suspect you are going to be very busy for a while.

Found out about HellBurger tonight, and promptly dragged my boyfriend there. I got muenster, mushrooms, tomato, pickles and mayo, he got raw red onion, pickles, mushrooms, vermont white cheddar, lettuce and tomato. Mine was ordered 'as rare as possible' his was recommended and au poiver. Somehow his was much pinker than mine, but mine was still one of if not the best burger I've ever had (and I'm normally of the opinion that if it's not bleeding and mooing, it's not worth eating!).

I could have done with a somewhat more....stable bun, and I thought the corn could have used a bit more cooking, tho my boyfriend was more than happy to eat my corn as well as his.

We'll definitely be going back, frequently! We still haven't tried the ice cream for one, having both noshed a bit before finding out about and going to dinner.

I ordered the 10 oz. Diablo burger medium (warm pink in the middle) with tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, cooked and uncooked onions, and peppers. It was a hefty, heavy burger -- so thick the bun disintegrated during my bites. I didn't have a ruler, nevertheless, the cooked patty appeared to be 3/4 inch thick! The Diablo was coated with a dry rub and then grilled. It was juicy and wonderfully seasoned -- the dry rub seasoning did not overpower the burger. (The taste of the freshly ground meat was superior to Five Guys, and not as fatty as the burger at Coastal Flats.) NOTE: I always salt my tomatoes -- in this case -- I requested 2 slices of their beefsteak tomatoes. The watermelon and corn were a nice touch. All for $7.00. What a great deal! I also ordered the root beer on tap, which was $3.50 for a small pitcher). {The root beer had a mild taste; I prefer a bolder spice.}

I wonder if people mind not having fries?

With my experience dining in the greater Washington D.C. area, nothing compares to my first burger experience at Hell-Burger. I prefer it over the Central burger. Although, I haven't tried the famous Palena burger, yet.

My other burger experiences: Fatburger (regularly dined in Redmond, WA, & Newport Beach, CA) and In-N-Out Burger (regularly dined in Irvine, Costa Mesa, & Los Angeles, CA) are in the smaller-sized burger category, and are chains, so it wouldn't be fair to compare.

Service was super friendly and prompt. {I recognized the staffers from Ray's the Steaks.} When I arrived, it was getting into the 9:00 PM hour; there was no line, and took approximately eight minutes for my burger -- which was great for me! The walls are decorated with framed, older movie posters, and other framed posters of beef, butcher cuts of meat. A roll of paper towels, held in a dispenser, sat on every table. Condiments on the table include two mustards (course and yellow), salt, pepper, and ketchup.

My next burger will be the pepper Poivre. I can see that I'll have a problem from now on... choosing between Ray's the Steaks or Hell-Burger!

Congratulations on having the courage to open a new restaurant during this time and climate! Best of luck! :lol:

Although, I haven't tried the famous Palena burger, yet.

I liked the RHB burger better than Palena, tho it's been about 2 years since I had a Palena burger, cos as far as I'm concerned, not giving me tomato on my burger is a crime. Palena doesn't give me tomato on my burger, I don't eat at Palena. A burger isn't just about the meat!

What are the chances that Hell-Burger develops its own lingo or secret items like at In-N-Out. For instance, if someone perfers their burger extra-dry, with a lean grind, they could order it "Cakelove-style."

What are the chances that Hell-Burger develops its own lingo or secret items like at In-N-Out. For instance, if someone perfers their burger extra-dry, with a lean grind, they could order it "Cakelove-style."
Would I have to wait 20 minutes to eat it as well?

I liked the RHB burger better than Palena, tho it's been about 2 years since I had a Palena burger, cos as far as I'm concerned, not giving me tomato on my burger is a crime. Palena doesn't give me tomato on my burger, I don't eat at Palena. A burger isn't just about the meat!

If you ask, Palena will give you a tomato. I always get grilled onions on mine and they don't flinch--or charge me.

Pax,

Brian

I had a Palena burger, cos as far as I'm concerned, not giving me tomato on my burger is a crime.

You'll never get a tomato on a burger from me that is out of season. I think its a crime to do otherwise. Most of the time a raw tomato out of season is pretty close to a spongy, barely acidic, mess that adds nothing. So, I'm with Palena for 8 months a year.

Palena isn't just about the burgers. And I digress........

I am looking forward to checking this place out. Is it metro accessible?

I would say so. It's practically the same location as Ray's The Steaks. I walked the other day from the Rosslyn metro stop. There's a tiny bit of an uphill incline, but of course that means downhill on the way back. It may even be closer to the Courthouse stop.

I would say so. It's practically the same location as Ray's The Steaks. I walked the other day from the Rosslyn metro stop. There's a tiny bit of an uphill incline, but of course that means downhill on the way back. It may even be closer to the Courthouse stop.

Generally, I recommend getting off at Courthouse to go *to* Ray's, and then going to Rosslyn *from* Ray's, then it's downhill both ways. The strip mall is pretty much equidistant from both stops. Of course, if you're looking for exercise, then reverse the directions; the hill is definitely noticeable.

Also, hooray for a completely messy and yummy burger!

We will be serving one thing only--10 ounces of our secret blend of premium and prime aged beef, char-grilled over an open flame. This is the same single-breed, farm-raised beef that we use at Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics, aged in house ridiculously long, hand trimmed to the same exacting standards as all of our steaks, and ground fresh daily, several times throughout the day.

Score one for ground beef done right! Landrum was right there trimming the chuck when we placed our order, and he even took the time to walk us through what makes the meat they use superior to what most other places are working with.

Loved the taste, the service, even the cheesy decor. Only downside was the lack of the Epoisses that had been mentioned as a cheese option - I was really looking forward to giving that one a try!

We will be open today, from 5 on--as will The Steaks and The Classics.

One thing to mention, since it was noted somewhere that we have not specified closing hours. We have pretty much been serving until 11 or so or later each night we have been open, based on demand and traffic flow.

Just like at The Steaks and The Classics, as long as we have people coming in, we keep serving and rarely do we ever turn anyone away--as long as we are able, we will always turn the grill back on and throw on another order.

I fully expect that we will be serving until midnight or so on a regular basis rather soon--even on weekdays--and would not be surprised if we end up going well into the night on weekends.

Unlike some restaurants, however, who open with grand boasts in the press of always being open until 2 only to be turning away people at 11 two-three weeks later, I would rather let the late night hours develop organically and naturally and then promote what I actually intend to stand behind.

Another couple of points, while I'm at it:

We do have Epoisses in house, as well as some other cheeses not listed on the cheeseboard yesterday and the day before so as to not overwhelm with selections. Feel free to ask what may be available that is not listed.

We are cash only, but do have an ATM on premises which we do not charge any service or processing fee for whatsoever (although your bank might). We provide this as a service to the guest and cover the cost to us ourselves.

We do have a phone, (703) 841-0001, and as soon as we have worked out how best to, we will begin taking phone ahead orders. Until then, you are more likely than not to get an answering machine. Sorry :lol: .

Remember, we are a work in progress and plan to be for quite some time--part of the fun of running a restaurant is aiming as high as you can always while taking care of the fundamentals, putting your heart and soul into it at all times, and seeing how far you can take it even if things do change along the way.

That is what makes a restaurant a responsive and ever-evolving part of the community it serves, and not just a self-serving vehicle for PR-driven marketing success and promotion.

I was there this evening and had my burger prepared Diablo-style with American Cheese (happy Independence Day!), lettuce, tomato, raw red onion, and Ray's Hell Sauce. I was not asked how I wanted it cooked, so I asked for it to be cooked as "recommended", according to the menu board. I would describe this as on the rare side of medium-rare. I usually ask for my burgers medium for safety's sake, and probably still will, except here, because now I know how good a perfectly cooked burger can be. They offer a nice selection of bottled drinks to go along with your burger. The corn on the cob was outstanding; tasted very fresh. Next time I'll remember to order the bacon (d'oh!). It's an extra bonus to be under the care of the friendly faces from Ray's. They simply know how to treat their customers, and you can tell that everyone is excited to be a part of this.

I hereby pronounce Ray's Hell-Burger goooooooood.

We had a great meal here tonight! Mine was medium, Diablo, with Epoisse. The cheese was $5 and worth every penny. I seriously recommend this combination to everyone out there. I also added a tomato slice and a bit of Hell Sauce. The corn was perfect -- plump and juicy -- and the watermelon was a great end to the meal. Oh, except that we ended the meal with ice cream :lol: I've already petitioned Tripewriter to take me here for lunch tomorrow! On a side note, I was definitely concerned about the size of the burger before we went. However, we were hungry, and it was perfect. We had discussed, when Tripewriter wasn't feeling well, splitting a burger. We walked in the door tonight, and he turned to me and -- with a look, as Michael said, like a dog with a bone -- said "I want my own burger." Nuff said!

Tried.

My dining companion asked for medium w white cheddar and grilled onions.

Me, medium rare w sautéed mushrooms and aged Danish blue.

"Best hamburger I have ever had!", she said.

Southern, so very, very polite, but not prone to exaggeration.

My only regret was the blue cheese since it was so generously spread that it interfered with the taste of the perfectly cooked, wonderful, wonderful burger. Now that my spare pair of glasses broke in half, I am grateful for the fact that I am near-sighted. Better to hold the thick, juicy sandwiched meat up close and happily contemplate the rosy, wet center enwrapped by dark, grilled beef and the intersection thereof.

Superior to a cookout considering the weather and the amount of effort. Summery, picnic sides.

What a great July 4th meal, especially for this apartment-dweller who doesn't have access to cookout space.

The burger, bread and butter pickles, sweet corn, and watermelon made me feel like I was a kid again, having supper with my cousins at our grandparent's farm. It is that good. And lucky for us, much closer than South Dakota.

Help.

The little one and I were there about an hour ago and it did look to have the beginnings of a madhouse. Great burger and I agree the summery sides are an excellent decision. Staff was friendly and the environment was wonderful.

Thank you chef, this is a great addition to the neighborhood and we will be back.

I'm happy to say that my visiting Greek-French cousin's first American burger experience was at the Hell-Burger. Not to mention she put the whole thing away.

Also, things were much calmer around 6 PM when we arrived and the operation seemed to be running exceptionally smoothly. My diablo-style burger had just the right amount of spice instead of overwhelming the burger. It was fantastic. I was joking that if we just added a soundtrack of metal and tattooed waitresses, we'd have our own, infinitely better version of Chicago's Kuma's Corner.

Michael, you like Slayer, right?

I read that, thanks. The reason I asked about the burgers being spicy is that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and can't do spicy foods at the moment. I would, however, love a good burger. It sounds like Ray's won't do me in.

I read that, thanks. The reason I asked about the burgers being spicy is that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and can't do spicy foods at the moment. I would, however, love a good burger. It sounds like Ray's won't do me in.

You can have it grilled plain, without the diablo. Really good meat doesn't need the spices, it has lots of great flavor on its own.

As zoramargolis says, there are several different ways you can get your burger. The diablo has a kick, but it's not like eating jalapeno peppers -- my slightly sensitive digestive system was just dandy after my diablo/epoisse burger. Which I'm fully intending to get again tonight when we rescue my college friend from everlasting NEA meetings. He loves the meetings -- I'm the one who doesn't understand how someone can be in meetings from 7:30 in the morning and not lose it...

We stopped in for lunch today. I saw at least one person from the board walk past as we were eating. Both my husband and I got our burgers diablo and didn't find the spicing too heavy. I also got mushrooms, grilled onions, blue cheese, hell sauce, and pickles. I'm sure that was too many toppings, but I couldn't decide. My husband just got pepper jack on his. I think I'll go lighter next time so I can savor the flavor of the burger better.

The burgers and corn were excellent but I think I may order the burger cooked medium next time, instead of recommended. The watermelon was wonderfully sweet. My husband enjoyed it, even though he's not a big watermelon fan. I couldn't believe that he was too full for ice cream :lol:. I got a draught root beer and refrained from making it a float, showing my only restraint for the meal.

We stopped in for lunch today. I saw at least one person from the board walk past as we were eating. Both my husband and I got our burgers diablo and didn't find the spicing too heavy. I also got mushrooms, grilled onions, blue cheese, hell sauce, and pickles. I'm sure that was too many toppings, but I couldn't decide. My husband just got pepper jack on his. I think I'll go lighter next time so I can savor the flavor of the burger better.

The burgers and corn were excellent but I think I may order the burger cooked medium next time, instead of recommended. The watermelon was wonderfully sweet. My husband enjoyed it, even though he's not a big watermelon fan. I couldn't believe that he was too full for ice cream :lol:. I got a draught root beer and refrained from making it a float, showing my only restraint for the meal.

How did you order your burger today? Med-rare and it came a bit too rare? Just asking so I can get my first burger there just right!