Michael Landrum

Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista

As those of you who were too foolish to heed my warning on Monday already know, Ray's Hell-Burger (street name), aka Butcher Burgers (government name), is due to open today, Tuesday, July 1st.

We will be serving one thing only--10 ounces of our secret blend of premium and prime aged beef, char-grilled over an open flame. This is the same single-breed, farm-raised beef that we use at Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics, aged in house ridiculously long, hand trimmed to the same exacting standards as all of our steaks, and ground fresh daily, several times throughout the day.

Free toppings include: sauteed mushrooms finished with sherry and brandy, grilled red onions, sauteed peppers, charred jalapenos, vine-ripened beefsteak tomatoes, roasted garlic, and dill or bread and butter pickle chips.

Applewood-smoked bacon (the same that we use for the grilled bacon app at Ray's The Classics) and guacamole are available for an additional charge.

In addition to the regular quality cheeses on offer ('Merkin, aged Vermont white cheddar, imported Swiss, imported Gruyere, aged Danish Bleu/Italian Gorgonzola, smoked mozzarella, Monster, Brie, pepperjack) we wil also be offering a changing selection of specialty and artisinal cheeses--currently, Epoisse, Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue, Queen Anne Stilton, Pa Noble Cave Aged Amish Cheddar, Chimay a la biere, Taleggio, and Bel Paese.

Throughout the summer, Hell-Burgers will be served with fresh, buttered corn on the cob and a slice of cold, juicy watermelon AT NO CHARGE!!!

Dominion root beer ON TAP and other great sodas and 8-10 flavors of MOOrenko's ice cream for cones and floats (no shakes, maybe later--I don't want to be the one to push shakes into the trite category, too many others stand eager to do so soon enough).

Ray's Hell-Burger (imagine the "Hell" part in flamey letters) is located at 1713 Wilson Boulevard in the same strip mall as Ray's The Steaks. We plan to open Saturday and Sunday from noon on and weekdays from 5 pm, for the time being, with expansion into weekday lunch hours possible, maybe.

The best part about all this, for me at least, is that since Ray's Hell-Burger is located several doors down from Ray's The Steaks, now whenever someone becomes tantrumishly nasty at the door due to the wait at The Steaks, I can kindly suggest an appropriate alternative destination to them.

pax   

Can't wait to get down there and give it a go. Congratulations! Break a leg! Even just reading the descriptions makes me drool.

:lol:

SeanMike   

Opening up right around the time I was going to head out of work just a few doors down and the day before my birthday? Think I know what I'm having for dinner!

You got my letter...

The best part about all this, for me at least, is that since Ray's Hell-Burger is located several doors down from Ray's The Steaks, now whenever someone becomes tantrumishly nasty at the door due to the wait at The Steaks, I can kindly suggest an appropriate alternative destination to them.
"You don't want to wait for a table? FINE. Go to Hell."

Ray's Hell-Burger (imagine the "Hell" part in flamey letters) is located at 1713 Wilson Boulevard in the same strip mall as Ray's The Steaks. We plan to open Saturday and Sunday from noon on and weekdays from 5 pm, for the time being, with expansion into weekday lunch hours possible, maybe.

I'm sure that many of us are going to Ray's Hell following this announcement.

Will there be take-out? And if so, a phone number?

Marty L.   

There is take-out, as well as about two or three dozen seats for eating in. And, as I wrote over on Chowhound, it's not only delicious (an assessment admittedly based solely on one gratis burger last night), but also the best deal in town.

iEat   

What ever happened to the bakery/move to the Navy Building near Court House Metro? I keep staring longingly at the space hoping fresh-baked bread will appear, no luck so far.

Holy crap. I am going to have to secure my wife, a burger junkie, with wrist and ankle restraints before telling her this.

p.s. Could I have fries with that please?

Al Dente   
Merkin, aged Vermont

Despite my misgivings about burgers topped with old... errrr... wigs from New England, I look forward to trying this joint out immensely!

KeithA   

Since the menu is small, how about posting the prices - at least for the burger? Some of us not in VA who may want to drive for a tasty burger need to make sure it is worth the gas expense, :lol:

Heather   

I had been under the impression at one time that potato salad might be offered.

Since the menu is small, how about posting the prices - at least for the burger?
According to the chowhound thread, they are a whopping $6.95.

OMG! This sounds fabulous. Will Silver Spring ever be so blessed?
I have this picture in my head of all the RTC/MD regulars descending on the place this weekend. They all walk in as a group and everything goes quiet as the RTS/VA regulars stare at them from across the restaurant. Everyone is frozen except for a few innocent bystanders who topple over their chairs in a hurry to get out before all hell breaks loose. Then both sides start doing the two handed West Side Story finger snap and start advancing toward each other. Right before the two groups meet and the fight begins a round of burgers comes off the grill and everyone happily digs in together. The conflict is avoided, but not forgotten...

Walrus   
I have this picture in my head of all the RTC/MD regulars descending on the place this weekend. They all walk in as a group and everything goes quiet as the RTS/VA regulars stare at them from across the restaurant. Everyone is frozen except for a few innocent bystanders who topple over their chairs in a hurry to get out before all hell breaks loose. Then both sides start doing the two handed West Side Story finger snap and start advancing toward each other. Right before the two groups meet and the fight begins a round of burgers comes off the grill and everyone happily digs in together. The conflict is avoided, but not forgotten...
Shall we start rehearsals tonight? Rumble!

Walrus   
Yes, please!!! Also, any chance of persuading you to try the art form known as the Juicy Lucy?

Then both sides start doing the two handed West Side Story finger snap and start advancing toward each other. Right before the two groups meet and the fight begins a round of burgers comes off the grill and everyone happily digs in together. The conflict is avoided, but not forgotten...

"When you're at Ray's

You can sing Landrum's praise

From your first hanger steak

To your last key lime daze..."

mdt   
Yes, please!!! Also, any chance of persuading you to try the art form known as the Juicy Lucy?

Um, no. Can we let the place open for business before providing hints for improvement? :lol: