Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista - Closed

Milkshakes are yummy.

Really? I've always considered them sorta second-tier--you know, compared to all the big fish's.

Really curious thing though: The other day I treated myself to one of my favorite Hell-Burgers (I have to limit myself to just an occasional, unfortunately) and the strangest thing happened. The very next day I shat out one of those tiny burgers you get up on the Hill, perfectly formed, wrapper and all.

Crazy, no?

Really? I've always considered them sorta second-tier--you know, compared to all the big fish's.

Who do you consider top tier for milk shakes?

I actually think Good Stuff Eatery does milkshakes pretty good, there Black and White is not bad at all.

I've had beer there, so I can't imagine they don't have some type of wine.

And a server to boot! Or beer if that is what you feel like. <--- [haha for cross-simul-posting]

I wonder what Mr. Slater suggests to match a bacon cheeseburger. I'm thinking old school Zin.

Didn't Don come out against wine with burgers and pizza at some point (possibly on eG)?

Excellent burgers. Good beer. Shitty wine. One assumes that the local laws prohibit un-sucky juice. Alas.

Local laws across the nation prohibit high school age kids from serving wine. The selection of wine available in 387ml single serve containers is extremely limited. Hope this helps.

Local laws across the nation prohibit high school age kids from serving wine. The selection of wine available in 387ml single serve containers is extremely limited. Hope this helps.

Interesting. Never considered that aspect of it but it makes sense.

HB Too has a venison burger. not sure about the fat percentage.

According to internets, when comparing beef and venison, it looks like venison is 3 g of total fat, 1 g of saturated fat and 95 mg of cholesterol per 3 oz and beef is 15 g of total fat, 6 g of saturated fat and 74 mg of cholesterol per 3 oz. Slightly higher cholesterol, but much less fat and sat fat.

According to internets, when comparing beef and venison, it looks like venison is 3 g of total fat, 1 g of saturated fat and 95 mg of cholesterol per 3 oz and beef is 15 g of total fat, 6 g of saturated fat and 74 mg of cholesterol per 3 oz. Slightly higher cholesterol, but much less fat and sat fat.

And, fwiw, cholesterol in food has no impact on blood cholesterol -- only fat in food does (particularly sat fat). Food cholesterol is, for the most part, irrelevant to someone watching his/her cholesterol.

(I can back this up with about seventeen randomized clinical trials; PM me if you need.)

I am on day 9 of a 13 day food cleanse (read: lots of kale, veggies, one day of fasting. No booze, sugar, refined carbs, caffeine.) It's been a good experience, I have lost 10 pounds so far and feel really healthy, clean, non-bloated.

BUT, the last two nights, I have had practically erotic dreams about a hell-burger, medium rare, with bleu cheese and onions and a side of onion rings. I think, given this, that I have discovered my "last meal" food, and I cannot wait to get to Ray's on saturday, when this cleanse is over!

I just had to share, to get this craving to go away!!!

On Wilshire, I like the fact that the legs on the chairs are low enough for my feet to touch the floor as opposed to the ones at RtC.***I want to know if Stacy Keach made that movie w Ursula Andress before or after Judy Collins dumped him, or was it the drugs? (Took me a while to figure out that the mountain's where you find the god of cannibals and not a god who's a cannibal because he eats other gods.)

My second time ordering the buffalo burger at Ray's Too. I've decided I prefer it even though it is more expensive than the regular Hellburger, because it is somewhat smaller and considerably less greasy. Not by any means is this burger dry or lacking in beefy flavor. I recommend it to those who find that a typical 10-oz. Hellburger is too much to eat.

One problem we both had tonight: the bottom bun disintegrated after the first couple of bites. Even so, so delicous.

Went to rays hell original last night after a few month hiatus. The burger ordered rare was as good as ever - I think there was a new bun- smaller than the burger and it did hold up- but a but dry for my taste . I had forgotten how good a burger can be!

Drat! I really liked the table service, buffalo burger and kid-sized burger, and the beer.

Drat, indeed! Does anyone know if we'll be able to get the onion rings and small burger at Hellburger Not-too? (Is it Hellburger I now? But Hellburger too is the original Hellburger space, right? And then the old Ray's the Steaks became the big Hellburger, making it Hellburger I? I'm so confused.)

Drat, indeed! Does anyone know if we'll be able to get the onion rings and small burger at Hellburger Not-too? (Is it Hellburger I now? But Hellburger too is the original Hellburger space, right? And then the old Ray's the Steaks became the big Hellburger, making it Hellburger I? I'm so confused.)

Agreed. I was a big fan of the Onion Rings.

I guess Steak and Cheese fits in with burgers better than it does with the various steak joints. NQD and I stopped in at about 5:30 this evening to try out the new place. Mostly empty, just a few families with kids. Limited menu options, mostly a question of what you want on your steak and cheese, and whether you want tater tots on the side. NQD did, I did not. I was wrong.

The important stuff: the bread was good, tasty, not spectacular. The steak was tender, juicy, beefy and delicious. The cheese was gooey and greasy, the onions soft and mild, the lettuce and tomato too ridiculous to even consider allowing near my sandwich. Overall, this was a great sandwich, and we'll be back more often than we go to Hellburger.

I neither know, nor care, how this compares to Philadelphia cheesesteaks. It sets the standard for an Arlington steak & cheese.

The important stuff: the bread was good, tasty, not spectacular. The steak was tender, juicy, beefy and delicious. The cheese was gooey and greasy, the onions soft and mild, the lettuce and tomato too ridiculous to even consider allowing near my sandwich. Overall, this was a great sandwich, and we'll be back more often than we go to Hellburger.

I neither know, nor care, how this compares to Philadelphia cheesesteaks. It sets the standard for an Arlington steak & cheese.

Had Ray's cheesesteak for lunch today - The girls shared one sandwich and tater tots and were both stuffed!!

The description above is the perfect description of Ray's cheesteaks.

I guess Steak and Cheese fits in with burgers better than it does with the various steak joints. NQD and I stopped in at about 5:30 this evening to try out the new place. Mostly empty, just a few families with kids. Limited menu options, mostly a question of what you want on your steak and cheese, and whether you want tater tots on the side. NQD did, I did not. I was wrong.

Had Ray's cheesesteak for lunch today - The girls shared one sandwich and tater tots and were both stuffed!!

The description above is the perfect description of Ray's cheesteaks.

Are there palatable cheese options? These sound like wonderful subs, and I'd love to try them if the cheese isn't too gloppy (provolone, mozzarella, cheddar, even swiss with mushrooms). Not interested in American, pepper jack, cheeze whiz, etc., but just one step above is all it would take to get me in. Does anyone have an official name?

Are there palatable cheese options? These sound like wonderful subs, and I'd love to try them if the cheese isn't too gloppy (provolone, mozzarella, cheddar, even swiss with mushrooms). Not interested in American, pepper jack, cheeze whiz, etc., but just one step above is all it would take to get me in. Does anyone have an official name?

I watched the person in front of me say "no american cheese, please" and he got what he wanted. As best I could tell, american and provolone are the only cheese options. I got both, even though I hate american cheese, because that is their default presentation. It really is not too gloppy. The meat to cheese ratio heavily favors the meat. The meat to toppings ratio heavily favors the meat. The toppings add accents, but the sandwich is all about the meat. The shredded lettuce really does not add anything and probably could be safely skipped. I would add the peppers (green and red) and mushrooms at $0.50 each. Even though there are only two items on the menu (steak and cheese & tater tots) it is fun to watch folks amble in and stare at the menu sign and try and decide what they want. :D

Agree with this. Great sandwich. Amazingly not greasy. I could eat a few of these. And they travel well, unlike a hellburger.

As for the comparison to a Philly cheesteak, there are probably only 2 or 3 places in my mind that are better than this in the Philly metro area (including Atlantic City). This easily sets the standard for the entire DC Metro area.

The sign inside says that the default is steak with provolone AND american cheese ($10.99). Free topping options are lettuce and tomato and $0.50 each options are the mentioned mushroom and peppers.

And I agree that they travel very well.

I want mine with American AND American

My to go steak and cheese didn't make it to my destination, a park where I imagined I'd sit and eat at a picnic table in the sun, while my dog romped nearby. Instead, I devoured it while driving, the dog looking on enviously from the shotgun seat. Merely to suggest that this is a delicious sandwich is a pale and tepid endorsement of a phenomenal eating experience. Juicy, crispy-edged meat and plenty of it. Melting onions. Melted cheese--I don't even like American cheese, but this works. Michael, you dawg! I'll be chafing at the bit until I can go get another one.

I went there for the first time last night with my brother.

We absolutely loved the steak and cheese sandwiches. Destroyed them. Messily devoured them. My brother bought a second one and ate it at about 2 AM. The tater tots were fantastic, too.

Caveat: we were very drunk.

But I still want more!

I went there for the first time last night with my brother.

We absolutely loved the steak and cheese sandwiches. Destroyed them. Messily devoured them. My brother bought a second one and ate it at about 2 AM. The tater tots were fantastic, too.

Caveat: we were very drunk.

But I still want more!

Keyword: messy! I'm not much of a burger person, but tweak the basic ingredients and I'm a huge fan of the steak and cheese. This one is dangerously delicious. I got mushrooms and tomatoes on mine, but it really didn't need the mushrooms. I love that the meat had goodly bit of sear. The tater tots are very crispy and way too easy to eat. I was glad that I had worked out for two hours prior to eating, and still felt compelled to take a walk afterwards. It was worth every calorie!!

Took out of town guests to Hellburger last night.

Burgers were amazing as always.

However, the menu has changed so that there are now 2 burger sizes to choose from. There's the Little Devil, 1/3lb. for 5.99 or the Big Devil, the original 10 ounce burger, formerly 5.99 now 9.99, a $4 price increase.

For me, Hellburger just went from being the best deal in town to the best expensive burger in the area.

Took out of town guests to Hellburger last night.

Burgers were amazing as always.

However, the menu has changed so that there are now 2 burger sizes to choose from. There's the Little Devil, 1/3lb. for 5.99 or the Big Devil, the original 10 ounce burger, formerly 5.99 now 9.99, a $4 price increase.

For me, Hellburger just went from being the best deal in town to the best expensive burger in the area.

Tends to happen when the President starts bringing foreign dignitaries there. =/