Coyote Grille & Cantina - Owner Tatjana Farr's Southwestern For The Masses on Main Street in Fairfax (Centreville Location Closed Feb 2, 2015)

I sure wish someone had posted on this thread before I decided to try this place today.

The staff were all friendly, service was good. They had a gluten-free menu AND a vegetarian menu (actually menu guides, to be used with the regular menu).

Those are the positives.

The chips and salsa were just OK. My husband tried them and then pushed them away. He ordered the carnitas "wrap", a flour tortilla wrapped around a mixture of carnitas, sour cream, and other "glop", as he described it, and fries, which he said were pretty mediocre. I tried the "steak" enchiladas, with "refried" beans, rice, green and red sauces, and a dollop each of guacamole and sour cream. The last was the best item on the plate.  I ate about half of the enchiladas, but wasn't enjoying them, so I stopped. One bite each of the rice and beans told me they weren't fresh or worth eating. Nothing tasted as if it was made today, or even as if it was made on premises.  The "refried" beans weren't--they were just beans with some seasoning from a can. The rice may have been left over from before New Years Eve. I don't know how to describe the filling of the enchiladas, but it wasn't good.

I've never left so much food on a plate. The server asked if I wanted a box and I said, "No, thank you. None of this tastes fresh."

I suspect the big draw is the bar--or bars, because there's also a large one out in the enclosed patio. I guess if one had enough tequila or beers . . . but probably not.

All I can say is, we took one for the team today, and I hope I don't get sick!

• Like 1

I live less than a mile away and have never been there. I'm glad I followed my instincts. Now that Chuy's is here, I don't know why anyone would go anywhere else for tex-mex.

It's not far from Woodson High School, where Matt goes, and we've never been there together (he's been, and said it's high-school tolerable).

• Like 1

I've never had a bad meal here.  Of course, I've never had a particularly good one either.  It has always been "good enough."  With that said, after two years the Centreville location is shutting down.  Its a shame because I think they sunk a lot of money into that place.